Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD Radeon HD R9 270 GDDR5 of 2 GB

2»

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by Keldor837

There is cataloged issues with the 290 and 290x cards as far as heating goes. If you're able to buy an MSI or HIS version of the card, you'll have slightly better temps. As they both utilize a more efficient heatsink system that the AMD and XFX manufactured cards. The reason for the heating issue is the data transfer rate and efficiency from the 4GB of GDDR memory. If you don't have sufficient airflow (such as a 220MM sidewall fan as well as front-access or top access intake fans) then you should avoid those cards. Even if the cards themselves operate fine under load with those temps. You will be raising the ambient temperature for the entire system. which means your CPU heatsink will have to work harder to stay cool, and your RAM may get a little hotter which effects performance. Though, if you have a watercooled CPU, then that won't matter for the CPU. However, with less internal fans running due to the lack of a heatsink over a watercooler. Your ambient temp may get even hotter, effecting your cards and RAM more.

If you want a good balance between performance, power consumption, and temperature regulating to reduce stress on the whole computer. Then I strongly recommend going with the R9 280x, or at least the 280 if you can't afford or get a deal on a 280X. The downside to these cards is they have one gig less of onboard memory. But it's due to this one less gig that they don't have the same heating issue. I'm using an MSI R9 280, which cost me $175 from Newegg. It's overclocked to run core speeds at 1380Mhz and 1520Mhz boost clock. So I've got total performance to match the R9 290's without the heating issues.

As others have hinted at, but haven't come right out to say. If you're going to have a gaming computer, that's not a laptop. You REALLY need to learn about all the components and software, and build it yourself. You not only save money in the long run. You'll also have a better understanding on how everything works and how to fix minor and major issues yourself. Which leads to being able to overclock, and get even more out of your hardware than you could normally.

The Tahiti GPU chip of the Radeon R9 280X is the least efficient of the generation--counting GCN, Kepler, and Maxwell, basically everything to release since the start of 2012.  Not coincidentally, it was also the first GPU chip of the generation to launch, and both AMD and Nvidia have learned a lot about how to optimize for the process nodes available since then.  So if heat is your concern, a 280X is probably the least efficient thing on the market today.

Overclocking very far usually requires overvolting, and that can ramp up power consumption in a hurry.  A Radeon R9 280 clocked at 1520 MHz would probably put out a lot more heat than a Radeon R9 290X at stock speeds.  And it still wouldn't be as fast as the R9 290X, either.

The usual way that higher end video cards are cooled is to stick a big heatsink with several heatpipes on the GPU, and then a couple of fans on that.  Look here for example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007709%20600473871

That has models from PowerColor, Gigabyte, HIS, Asus, Sapphire, XFX, MSI and VisionTek, and multiple models from a lot of those vendors.  They all do the same thing:  a big heatsink with two or occasionally three fans blowing on it, spraying off heat in all directions.  There's just one exception, for an external exhaust model with only one fan from XFX.  That's the one that might have overheating problems.

Now, spraying heat in every which direction means you have a lot of hot air blowing around in the case.  That's a big problem if you stick it inside a dinky little case with minimal airflow.  But it's not a problem if you have plenty of general case airflow to get the heat out of the case.  All you need to do is to get at least a mid-tower case with several fans, some blowing air in the front and others out the top and/or back.  You can get a gaming case with ample airflow for $50.  The question is whether Dell will give you a nice gaming case or whether they'll give you something stupid.

While GDDR5 memory controllers can put out a lot of heat as memory controllers go, that's not the real problem.  It's only a small fraction of the heat that the video card will put out.  And if memory controller heat is your only concern (which would be an outlandishly stupid approach to take), the R9 290X is likely more efficient than Nvidia's best, simply because it goes with more memory controllers clocked lower, which is usually more efficient.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

Judging from the forum I think Dell did not make those cooling provisions.

When I first bought this Alienware Aurora I currently own it came with a Geforce 480 GTX that ran up to 93 degrees at times when I played games and the lifespan of the card was affected and it died after a couple of years and they replaced it with a Geforce 580 either by mistake or they did not have the 480 anymore but I did not ask and just congratulated myself on my good fortune. Those temperature really made my room very uncomfortable in summer and I have no idea what damage it might have done to the computer itself but I do not wish to see temperatures like that again. 

I will go with the Geforce 770 GTX. I could upgrade it when the warranty ends. I also decided to take the 16gb RAM since husband said it was okay to spend the extra on that and the 256 GB SSD will make this new computer hopefully last me another 5 years.

Thank you everyone for all your help and advice. .Thanks Quizz for helping me configure this computer in spite of your disapproval for my going with Dell. I simply have no choice.....peace in the home and all that is worth the extra money wasted. Hey been married 24 years so no rocking of boat is best.

Chamber of Chains
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by cheyane

Judging from the forum I think Dell did not make those cooling provisions.

When I first bought this Alienware Aurora I currently own it came with a Geforce 480 GTX that ran up to 93 degrees at times when I played games and the lifespan of the card was affected and it died after a couple of years and they replaced it with a Geforce 580 either by mistake or they did not have the 480 anymore but I did not ask and just congratulated myself on my good fortune. Those temperature really made my room very uncomfortable in summer and I have no idea what damage it might have done to the computer itself but I do not wish to see temperatures like that again. 

I will go with the Geforce 770 GTX. I could upgrade it when the warranty ends. I also decided to take the 16gb RAM since husband said it was okay to spend the extra on that and the 256 GB SSD will make this new computer hopefully last me another 5 years.

Thank you everyone for all your help and advice. .Thanks Quizz for helping me configure this computer in spite of your disapproval for my going with Dell. I simply have no choice.....peace in the home and all that is worth the extra money wasted. Hey been married 24 years so no rocking of boat is best.

Heating up the room is a matter of how much heat the video card outputs, not of how whether it has heatsinks and fans to keep it properly cooled.  The way that video cards are kept cool is that heatsink and fans get the heat off of the video card and out into the room.  If heating up the room is the problem, you need a video card that puts out less heat in the first place.

In the GeForce GTX 480, you picked the worst single GPU card ever made for running hot.  If you plug in two monitors, it would put out 100 W at idle--more than many video cards put out under gaming loads.  It officially had a TDP of 250 W, but that was basically a lie, and the card could put out 300 W under gaming loads.  The GTX 580 was a respin of the same GPU chip to fix yields, but likely the second hottest running single-GPU chip ever made.  So even though a Radeon R9 290X is probably the hottest current generation card, it's going to be cooler than a GTX 480 or GTX 580.

The GTX 770 puts out less heat only because it offers less performance.  In performance per watt, it's not terribly different from a Radeon R9 290X.  If you want more performance without more heat, you need better energy efficiency.  For that, you'd want the GeForce 900 series or a Titan X.  Though the Titan X is probably out of your budget, at $1000 for just the video card--and that's before Dell marks it up to charge you 60% more than MSRP or whatever.

That's my dream the GeForce 900 series but hey I play MMORPGs not FPS or any of those really high graphic games like Crysis and stuff where people are always doing tests and thumping chests over. I do not want to tax my husband's wallet even this computer I would not have changed to be honest if I did not have the problems I had with BSODs. I am not a greedy person well at least I would like to think I'm not so I would have been happy to chug along on my Geforce 580 GTX for another year.

When I play currently the card runs about 67-70 degrees celcius with games like ESO or Wildstar. It was a huge difference from the Geforce 480 GTX. I do not even have a great monitor as someone pointed out when I took some screenshots of ESO as my resolution was 1600 x 1200. I got a new monitor with this new purchase but only  one that supports about 1920 x 1080. Typically when I play I turn off shadows and a other stuff and am not that particular about graphics ,I mean I like a nice looking game but I am wiling to turn things down to reduce the heat output and for better FPS.

I am happy with the Geforce 770 GTX and anyway you will not want to hear how much with IVA and other charges the total came up to. I was cringing. Anyway I am giving the monitor that came with the Alienware to my husband and taking a cheaper one. He asked me to get the monitor but he wanted to buy one too to upgrade his 5 year old 19" one so I gave him the 24" one and I took the 21.5" one instead. He's a good person he does not nitpick and I am fortunate I know that.

Chamber of Chains
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

As long as you are happy with it then that is all that matters.

the 770 is a good performing card and will likely meet or exceed all your needs until you need to upgrade in a year or two. Honestly i would have been leery of having a 290x in a dell system just because the cooling would have been iffy at best.

If you mainly play MMOs such as ESO, Wildstar, ect. then the 770 will do nicely. And as an added bonus you wont have a pc that subs as a space heater.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Any reason you couldn't keep the 580 out of the old computer?

My doorperson's kid is into computers and I told her and I asked if her son might want it. I also explained about the BSOD and specifics in a note to him and that I ran a diagnostic I cannot find a single hardware problem .It says my USB ports are fine but the message keeps coming out that one of my usb not being recognized then BSOD. I have switched all the ports about all 7 at the back and it is still happening the computer keeps hanging.Now I explained the issue and I am giving her son the computer with the OS and card if he fixes it then he is welcome to the whole thing since he earned it after all by fixing it. The card included. I feel I would be rather petty removing it and replacing it with an inferior one from my older computer.
    Chamber of Chains
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다