Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking to try some co-op or hybrid mmos.

slowpoke68slowpoke68 Member UncommonPosts: 545

Hello all.  Really burned out on the modern story driven quest hub mmo.  

Was thinking about trying out some new genres.  

Can anyone recommend something?

Have been looking around and have Team Fortress 2, Smite, Firefall, and Borderlands 2 on my list so far.  Just wondering if there are any great ones out there I haven't run across.

Also, they mainly seem to be pvp oriented...are there any challenging fun pve coop type games?

Thanks much.

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Not sure if this fits the bill, but path of exile is a good game.  Has quests, but it's basically a combat game.  and it's free

Concentrate on enjoying yourself, and not on why I shouldn't enjoy myself.

• slowpoke68slowpoke68 Member UncommonPosts: 545

Thanks guys, but I have played all the games you have listed.  Enjoyed PoE as well as several of the other mmos, particularly Lotro.  Tried ESO recently and I just can't do another mmo like that.  Also, and I never thought in a million years I would say this, I may need a break from the fantasy setting.  Did try SWTOR and played up to level 35 or so at one point.  May even give WS another try, but the quest hub thing.

Anway, that is why I was thinking some non traditional mmos might be the ticket.  Years ago I used to play a lot of fps and loved Team Fortress when it was a Half Life mod. 

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,825
    Originally posted by slowpoke68

Have been looking around and have Team Fortress 2, Smite, Firefall, and Borderlands 2 on my list so far.  Just wondering if there are any great ones out there I haven't run across.

You can add Defiance to that list if you're looking for more action packed MMOs.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• apb2011apb2011 Member UncommonPosts: 165

I am sick of both Quest/Story driven and fantasy MMOs. I am more attracted to MMOs that just throw you in the game and you progress in the way you want. Sci-fi, space, future, real life or survival type games. Of course you cannot progress exactly the way you want but the way the game/environment limits you to do.

There are just way to many MMOs set in the medieval theme. Way to many. Orc this, dragon that. So sick of it. And more and more keep popping up. I wish some dev company(s) would make a GTA type mmo. There is APB but that is just 50vs50 in the city. And GTA Online 30 max limit isn't enough for me. I need thousands of players in the same city. I don't understand why Rockstar set a 30 player limit in GTA 5 when the city is so freaking huge.

A decent co-op game is Zombies Monsters Robots, i played it for a bit, not bad.

Or you can take the above posters advice and take a break from MMOs. That's what I am doing, but I still check the news feeds for any new sandbox MMOs that come out. So far there haven't been many, no where near the double digits yet. The new sandbox games that are suppose to be coming out in the future seem to be all Indie and kickstarter ones.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,825
    Originally posted by apb2011

I don't understand why Rockstar set a 30 player limit in GTA 5 when the city is so freaking huge.

So the whole thing doesn't crash when everyone gets into a huge free for all in the same location.

There's a price to pay for games looking pretty. :P

You can either go for something hideous and have tons of ugly avatars stabbing each other, or you can have something nice looking and only have several avatars stabbing each other at the same time.

Can't have your cake and eat it!

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    If you're tired of fantasy, you can try Eve.  It's much more of a sandbox and has a loyal following.  Not really my cup of tea, but it might be worth a look for you.

Concentrate on enjoying yourself, and not on why I shouldn't enjoy myself.

• SuntouchedSuntouched Member CommonPosts: 50

Warframe is quite fun, has rpg elements its a 3rd person sci fi shooter, its online and you can play solo. with friends or find randoms to join with on missions. Its fast paced and you get to build up your own weapons and warframes to fight in.

Youve said youve tried Smite, its a really great game just need to get past the low lvls untill you get to the point where people know the meta and you can have some decent matches.

Minecraft has alot of mods that make the gameplay very varied, im busy playing the PixelSpark mod pack and its been alot of fun so far. 

I do love sandbox games, being creative in games is so much more fun then just experiencing someone elses creativity.

Im busy trying Wurm online now, it looks like it has alot of potential but also looks very rough and not very user friendly.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

The Secret world is excellent and really worth trying if you want a good game set in a relatively modern world. It is not quest hub driven.

Otherwise, try Guildwars 2 if you want something fantasy (with some steampunk). 

• NightHaveNNightHaveN Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

You should try Defiance too.  While Trion is running it, so far I haven't any need to invest in its shop.

Edit:

While Defiance is a themepark and is mostly work through quest hubs, there are lot of events that unlike Rift grants you gear.  Event and quest gear scales to your level too.

• Zerat82Zerat82 Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Originally posted by slowpoke68

Thanks guys, but I have played all the games you have listed.  Enjoyed PoE as well as several of the other mmos, particularly Lotro.  Tried ESO recently and I just can't do another mmo like that.  Also, and I never thought in a million years I would say this, I may need a break from the fantasy setting.  Did try SWTOR and played up to level 35 or so at one point.  May even give WS another try, but the quest hub thing.

Anway, that is why I was thinking some non traditional mmos might be the ticket.  Years ago I used to play a lot of fps and loved Team Fortress when it was a Half Life mod. 

Dude stop the bull shit and admit it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Games suck , they just try to brain wash you with fake story's that you burned out , no you didn't burn out your an addictive animal who's craving for some next gen shit, like for some heroin.

Than you pay for lazy boring made wow copy's half done games and you think you burned out.

Don't you see? all games got casual and you can't do shit about it because kids love it they will pay for it and high demanding player are not counting anymore so why should company's spend money when they can milk money in easy way.

And yes i admit it i need to also find something different hobby

• slowpoke68slowpoke68 Member UncommonPosts: 545

Thanks for all the replies friends.  Just goes to show again what a great community there is on this board.

I have played or at least given a good try to all the mainstream mmos you all listed (have tried getting into TSW and GW2 a couple of times but just couldn't).   Agree Eve is a well done game, played it for a couple of months a couple of year ago, but like you, it wasn't my cup of tea.

Going to look into Warframe and Defiance.  Also I saw an interesting looking game on Steam...Project Zomboid (not mutliplayer but looks really neat)

As far as taking a break goes, I have taken off most of the last twelve months from gaming including the last two months.  Damn, hope I'm not outgrowing gaming. 

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member UncommonPosts: 1,045
    Check out Warframe.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• ciorritaciorrita Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by strawhat0981
    Check out Warframe.

I want to recommend it too.