Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$teams new money making plan, starting with skyrim

Comments

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Originally posted by Skooma2
    The easier, and free, way to get mods is to go to Skyrim Nexus and download mods to your heart's content.

Exactly what I do, get em from the nexus and you don't have to pay a thing. And let's face it, they probably have the biggest mod community anyway.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Did nexus mods get shut down?

How would this actually work? Because all mods are free.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by mystik13

I am curious if steam and devs are receiving payment (bulk of it) aren't they culpable if the mod doesn't work as intended, causes crashes etc?  Aren't they obligated to provide support?

Also wondering what happens if a "paid" mod steals assets from another mod?  Nexus mods being repackaged and sold steam mods?  What obligation does valve and devs have?  Can they be sued for theft of intellectual property?

I'm sure they will have a "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED" EULA or something similar.

As a mod maker myself I think this is disgusting to take 75% and I will never sell one of my mods because I want people to enjoy them for free and give back to the community. I have done tons of free coding and building for MUDs (shout out to AddictMUD) made lots of mods (dating back to level design for Duke3D placing sprites) and in general just love gaming instead of being out for a greedy buck.

I also made a Necromancer Merchant on the Skyrim Steam Workshop along with The City of the Betrayed.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

the idea is that of a Free Market idea.

Free is still an option however those modders who are more serious and dedicate a lot of time to their craft now have a way to make a little extra money and if the system works it might mean even more proffesional quality mods will be made

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Originally posted by tawess

Well while 25% sounds low to many... remember that there are a lot of costs for STEAM too, especially back office stuff, payment service fees and similar admin stuff. After all say that a modder self his mod for a few $, there is a good chance that once everything is paid and done STEAM could take a loss on the transaction if they where to give 75% to the modders. 

Are your seriously saying it would take 75% of what the modder would make just for steam to actually pay them?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

F-IN HA

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

Free is still an option however those modders who are more serious and dedicate a lot of time to their craft now have a way to make a little extra money and if the system works it might mean even more proffesional quality mods will be made

have you seen some of the skyrim mods? some of them are better quality then the official dlc released from bethesda.. i refuse to believe these talented individuals couldnt figure out how to monetize it if they truly wanted to.

This seems like Valve seen they were losing money and they wanted to lay the foundation for future elder scrolls games.

I guarantee you free mods are done, skyrim will be the last, and future elder scrolls titles will require the use of this system in order to distribute mods.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Would have to be one hell of a mod for me to pay money for it.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Nilden
    Are your seriously saying it would take 75% of what the modder would make just for steam to actually pay them?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

F-IN HA

No... i´d guess that on average the 30-40% they take for regular sales would cover the costs of running the service and meeting the profit margin...

This have been a good conversation

Originally posted by mystik13

I am curious if steam and devs are receiving payment (bulk of it) aren't they culpable if the mod doesn't work as intended, causes crashes etc?  Aren't they obligated to provide support?

Also wondering what happens if a "paid" mod steals assets from another mod?  Nexus mods being repackaged and sold steam mods?  What obligation does valve and devs have?  Can they be sued for theft of intellectual property?

I'm sure they will have a "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED" EULA or something similar.

As a mod maker myself I think this is disgusting to take 75% and I will never sell one of my mods because I want people to enjoy them for free and give back to the community. I have done tons of free coding and building for MUDs (shout out to AddictMUD) made lots of mods (dating back to level design for Duke3D placing sprites) and in general just love gaming instead of being out for a greedy buck.

I also made a Necromancer Merchant on the Skyrim Steam Workshop along with The City of the Betrayed.

yes...

75% is way to high for basically what is 'we have a store'

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

F-IN HA

No... i´d guess that on average the 30-40% they take for regular sales would cover the costs of running the service and meeting the profit margin...

That's funny because these Skyrim Nexus guys do it all for free.

• vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195

I love how you guys can defend shit like this. You should all work at PR, you got the talent for it. 25% guys. Rest is pure profit for shareholders. They can sit on their lazy asses while you fill their pockets, singing praise of how great and merciful Valve is for allowing us, mere peasants, to 'support' them.

It's also insulting to all existing mods e.g. at nexusmods  who put so much quality for free. If they do it out of love, how come you suddenly feel like a entitled brat to ask money for what others do for free (and probably better).

In fact, I bet you guys can also add a positive spin to child labor right? If a master gives a child slave, a banana, we all should praise the master because he is soooo nice and humble to let that child slave have a banana, forgetting that the master profits the most of the child slave labor...

In fact , we should  kneel 50 times every day in honor of the great deity Valve that He is so merciful to let us spend our money, filling their pockets. In fact, I should be prosecuted for insulting Him because he was so merciful to grant me permission to 'support' Him and I insult him with critical thinking. Please forgive me Lord Gabe!

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Sorry to post off subject, but it is kinda the same. Anyway, probably everyone including their old grandmothers have played this, but Steam has a great deal on Skyrim right now. http://store.steampowered.com/app/72850/. sorry if this was posted in the thread already. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

have you seen some of the skyrim mods? some of them are better quality then the official dlc released from bethesda.. i refuse to believe these talented individuals couldnt figure out how to monetize it if they truly wanted to.

This seems like Valve seen they were losing money and they wanted to lay the foundation for future elder scrolls games.

I guarantee you free mods are done, skyrim will be the last, and future elder scrolls titles will require the use of this system in order to distribute mods.

A real fear I have as a modder is will they cut out third party mods altogether? How far away is exclusive modding rights to Valve only with no third party mods possible? Can't have people giving away for free what they are trying to charge for...

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by Skooma2
    The easier, and free, way to get mods is to go to Skyrim Nexus and download mods to your heart's content.

But how long until they start doing it?

Skyrim is only worth playing with mods. I have 70+ loaded.

I sure as hell wouldnt pay even $1.99, only because that turns a $70 dollar game into $220.00 game.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

A real fear I have as a modder is will they cut out third party mods altogether? How far away is exclusive modding rights to Valve only with no third party mods possible? Can't have people giving away for free what they are trying to charge for...

The only reason for this is to cut out third party mods.

future elder scrolls titles will require either the modder or the community to pay valve/bethesda

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Well while 25% sounds low to many... remember that there are a lot of costs for STEAM too, especially back office stuff, payment service fees and similar admin stuff. After all say that a modder self his mod for a few $, there is a good chance that once everything is paid and done STEAM could take a loss on the transaction if they where to give 75% to the modders. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

F-IN HA

that's not how it's being calculated.

And as I said above, they don't just push a button and allow for more money to flow. If Steam is getting a cut from another developer's hard work then I imagine they had to use their lawyers to iron out any additional details. There are costs involved with setting up these systems as well as supporting them. Unless of course this was part of whatever agreements that the company signed with steam in which case there might not be "additional costs".

And I as a modder applaud this sytem even though I will never charge for a mod I make. But if others feel that they have created something that might generate some extra cash and the developer is on board with it then that's fine with me.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

That's funny because these Skyrim Nexus guys do it all for free.

what the *bleeep* does that has to do with the subject at hand.... Or are you trying hard to miss the point. 

If you like to sell your *bleeep* on STEAM (the western worlds biggest digital marketplace for games and related software) you pay steam for the service... They usually take a 30-40% cut iirc for games... And now a (at the moment) 75% cut if you want to sell your mod. You do not need to sell your mod but the exposure will be a lot less if you do not use steam. After all if Goat Sim could sell several 100k worth of digital refuse... A decent mod will have a good chance to at least cover the food each for a month...  Also markingt becomes a lot easier and you do not need to panhandle your users for the next cup of joe. 

So in short... The fact that some random skyrim modders do it for free have no impact on the fact that steam will offer a way for modders to use their network and sales services... 

Or did i miss your point... 

• BascolaBascola Member UncommonPosts: 425

I would gladly pay for good mods, reward the huge dedication and effort these people put into their creations.

I am not going to give a greedy multi-billion dollar company and their industry cronies my money if they keep 75% and only give 25% to the person that actually did all the work.

If that hurts the modders also then i am sorry but i am not going to fill the pockets of a fat rich jerk with a knife fetish.

_________

Let's cut the bullshit here for one minute and tell it how it is. The big wigs know that games that support modding and have a good amount of mods survive much longer and make a lot more money. So they decided to monetize this although they do ZERO work and basically feed off the mod creators like leeches.

Many will say this is better than no money or as usual defend the big corporations. This is the same logic that got us into this crazy "Pay for Beta", "$200 Early Access" and "Crippled Game releases with day one DLC".

When will you finally see how you are being milked like the stupid cows you are?

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361

this x1000

Originally posted by Bascola

I would gladly pay for good mods, reward the huge dedication and effort these people put into their creations.

I am not going to give a greedy multi-billion dollar company and their industry cronies my money if they keep 75% and only give 25% to the person that actually did all the work.

If that hurts the modders also then i am sorry but i am not going to fill the pockets of a fat rich jerk with a knife fetish.

look up the terms

operating costs

legal fees

administrative cost 

Just to paint a picture.... 

if a modder sells his mod for 10$... How much of those 10$ do you actually think end up "in the pocket" once all operating costs are deducted... 

To explain it clearly... The costs for each individual sale could (and yes this is based on personal experience working with event merchendicing and not any inner knowledge of Valves economics.. but it serves to illustrate the problem. ) eat as much as 50% of those 10$.. making it a even 25 split in profit for each side... now ofc if it is sold for 20$ steam will get a bigger cut as the operating cost will still be around 5$.. otoh if they modder sells it for 2$... Yeah... you do the math... 

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Where is the 25/75% actually confirmed?  I didn't see it in any of the links so far.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• BascolaBascola Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Originally posted by Bascola

look up the terms

operating costs

legal fees

administrative cost 

Just to paint a picture.... 

if a modder sells his mod for 10$... How much of those 10$ do you actually think end up "in the pocket" once all operating costs are deducted... 

To explain it clearly... The costs for each individual sale could (and yes this is based on personal experience working with event merchendicing and not any inner knowledge of Valves economics.. but it serves to illustrate the problem. ) eat as much as 50% of those 10$.. making it a even 25 split in profit for each side... now ofc if it is sold for 20$ steam will get a bigger cut as the operating cost will still be around 5$.. otoh if they modder sells it for 2$... Yeah... you do the math...  

I run a business myself and you have no idea what you are talking about. You can't even spell merchandising for crying out loud. This is exactly the apologetic, big corporation defending nonsense from people with no knowledge that got fed ideas from corporations how hard it is to make money.

/smh

Originally posted by Axehilt
    Where is the 25/75% actually confirmed?  I didn't see it in any of the links so far.

I cant find it either.

I think we have all been trolled on that point

Originally posted by Skuall

this x1000

Although those are good points, Steam is FAR from loosing money. They have been growing 50% year over year and getting at 30% cut of every game sold. They make tons o money

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Greed taking over just makes everything better, doesn't it. Sarcasm.