Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Player/Questions

dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679

I have a few questions, never played the game.  I've researched some but I have specific questions.

1)  The races and factions look diverse and fun, how do they work in the world?  Do you just play along with your own faction>

2) Is there PvP against the other factions (queue BG or otherwise?)

3) It looks like on the web site that there are only 4 classes, is that true?  If not, how do the classes work?

4) I read something about most of the game being single player, is that true?

Any other information on how the game works in general would be helpful.  Thank you!

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

Comments

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

Races play with their faction.  Exception would be those who bought the collector's edition.

Pvp is against the other alliances.  3 way fight... I found it boring, but some enjoy that kind of PvP.

There are 4 classes but a variety of builds.  I have heard they are somewhat more balanced now.. but for the first 3-4 months they were very one sided .. destro staff

The game is mostly solo it is very easy.  When I played 1-50 was 99% solo 1% group if you ran a dungeon or group quest real quick for the xp/reward.  Then VR1+ was all group grind in craglorn.  

Edit:

Here is the guide I would use to level when I played, I had one of each 4 classes to VR12... my first char taking longer because I wasted time questing, the remaining 3 taking 7 days from creation or less to max.

Use as you see fit or ignore if you want to do every bit of content... not my type of game so I rushed through it.

First anytime you need to teleport use your guilds to discover a new wayshrine. Then use that to port back to where you need... do this everytime, it will save you travel time in the long run when you finish zones etc. 

Quest/grind through glenumbra. Go to stormhaven, grab the quest that gives you an imp, grind to about 29, do the main quest line, move to rivenspine do the main quest, the quest where you go to the overun city, kill the zombies with the quest helper... if you accidentally run in the inn, you will get a different npc to help you... grind to 33-34, finish story. Go to alik'r desert do the zombie docks to 38 start main quest, towards end of main quest kill the zombies by the boats to 41. Go to bangkorai just do the main story... do not grind here, I never found it to be worth the time (because you mostly grind past all the zombies levels already) Go to coldharbour do main story then grind pretty much any undead in the northern middle half of map on the way to molag bal (hopefully you get the wayshrine from a guildy by this time (the ogres are another decent grind too)... finish molag bal if you feel like it. Vr1 go directly to craglorn. Take any group but aim for tower group as it is by far superior. Vr1-3 will seem slow but its not really that bad 3-4 hours for the whole process. Vr4-11 (picking up at vr7) will take 6-8 hours. vr11 to 12 takes 3-4 hours. 
    Most levels grinding from 20-vr1 take 30-45 mins max (possibly faster if you have AE.. always aim to kill undead- zombies are the best) 

Now I do not know of any changes to the game since I quit.. but that was the method I used. My first char was a NB which I quested and they took me awhile. My other 3 classes were all done within 1 week... my melee reaver type sorc was by far the fastest and easiest to level... the templar was next because I could be AE dps or healer in the group for VR grinds. 

In the vet zones there was a cave with tigers in it, that I could go AE kill and get loot continuously, mail it (with addons) to my guild and they would use the addon to auto send it back. Which allowed me to make my money very quickly, I then bought all like 64 items for crafting to decon... but overall I just used the mats/money I made from farming to buy all player crafted gear. 

• GrunimGrunim Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by dreamer05

I have a few questions, never played the game.  I've researched some but I have specific questions.

1)  The races and factions look diverse and fun, how do they work in the world?  Do you just play along with your own faction>

3) It looks like on the web site that there are only 4 classes, is that true?  If not, how do the classes work?

Any other information on how the game works in general would be helpful.  Thank you!

1.  You select one of three alliances in character creation and that character will PvE only with others in the same alliance.   So if you play this game, be sure to play in the alliance most of your friends play otherwise you won't be able to group with them.  In the base game you choose one of three races that are available to an alliance, but there is an upgrade to the game that allows you to choose any race to play in any alliance.  You are allowed 8 characters per account and you can place your characters in different alliances from each other if you wish.

2.  There is a very large PvP map called Cyrodiil where all 3 alliances wage war.  This is known as AvA ( Alliance vs Alliance).  The set-up is similar to WvW in GW2 if you are familiar with that game. 

3. There are 4 base classes, but any class is able to wield any weapon type and is not restricted from wearing any type of armor.  Each player can choose to build themselves quite differently from another character of the same class.  You are granted skill points where you can choose to learn from your class specific skills, weapon skills, armor skill lines, world skills, racial skills, supernatural ( vampire or werewolf skills) etc.   Plus even if you choose the same base skill as someone else, you can level up the skill through use and have a choice of two different morphs that can grant different affects from the base skill.

4. Like many MMOs these days the leveling up difficulty is scaled so that a solo player can handle most PvE just fine.   You do have the option to group with others for most quests except for the main story quests and the fighter and mage guild quests.  The game has 4 man dungeons, and for end game there are 12 man raids known as trials.  Grouping in PvP is quite popular and people can form 24 man groups.

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by dreamer05

You pick your faction and play it up to level 50. Then you gain your first veteran rank and start questing in another faction's zones while working on your veteran ranks. In other words despite having to select faction you play the whole content on a single character.

There is RvR system in place starting from level 10. Just if you intend to do it then if it's your first character you may want to join non veteran campaign.

Templar, sorcerer, dragonknight and nightblade. Also you character's capabilities heavily depend on both armour and weapon used. I.e. everyone can use restoration staff which practically means everyone can pick healer's role however templar has additional skills to boost character's healing capabilities. Or just wearing 1h weapon + shield provides you with some tanking skills while switching to 2h melee weapon makes you more of a melee dps instead. My advice is decide what roles you want to have and based on that decide on class but do not assume that just picking the right class will be enough to make you ultimate healer/dps/tank.

PvE probably yes. In PvP try to take some keep solo. Not going to happen.