Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does this game have a better control scheme?

filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

I played this game for a few months about a year ago and got 5 level 80 characters.  I really enjoyed how the game was setup and all the stuff to do.  Anet really did an excellent job on innovation.  The reason I left was because no matter what I tried I couldn't properly control a character.  I like to play games with keyboard only and use a mouse every now and then and there's a lot of games that allow for complete control of a character without using a mouse games like ,WOW, RIFT, SWTOR, Archeage.  Or if I am forced to use a mouse the game needs to be setup like ESO or Tera which both offer excellent control of your character and abilities.

Nothing disappoints me more then when I have more agility then my avatar in a mmo.

With all the innovations that this gaming company has given the mmo world I was very disappointed in how you cannot customize your ui to meet the needs of a complete keyboard player.  Nor do they allow full control of a character using a mouse.  A lot of this has to do with the very slow keyboard turn rate or even worse they made strafe completely useless.  I posted this on GW2 forums but doesn't seem like the players are bothered at all by such things.  I even paid for a mmo gaming mouse with 24 buttons but that was just too many buttons and to me a complete waste of money considering anet could fix this with just a few customization changes.  For those who will claim they have complete control of their characters then try to dodge roll and turn right 90degrees then use the 7 and 8 ability on the tool bar.  If there is a way to setup my control so this can happen then I'd be happy because I can do it in ESO quite easily.

Are you onto something or just on something?

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Not really sure what to say.. can't ever imagine choosing 'not' to use a mouse when you can.

Nothing has changed with the control scheme so if you weren't happy before then you'll probably feel the same again.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

I understand what you are saying.

The controls are actually very much like Eso and Tera - but you have to hold down the right mouse button at all times.

Harbinger of Fools
  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

What is exactly that WoW, Tera and ESO allow you to do that GW2 doesn´t when it comes to the controls? Just wondering here, I´ve never played Tera or ESO, but I did play WoW extensively until WotLK and I don´t really remember the controls being too different to the way GW2 does them, but then again I never really tried to go full keyboard (I love the mouse).

That said, other than the 90 degrees turn, I wouldn´t have a problem doing your example with just the keyboard the way I have the bindings set up.

Weapon skills 4 and 5 I changed to Q and E. Abilities 7, 8 and 9 I changed to Z, X and C, and healing (5) and elite (0) I normally control them with 2 extra buttons on my mouse, but I have them also bound to 4 and 5, so I have the entire toolbar availably at fingers reach without having to lift my hand from WASD. i do have A and D set to strafe, though, and use the mouse to turn. The dodge roll I have it bound to the middle mouse button (wheel), but I also regularly roll by double tapping the direction I want to roll.

So in your example, if I wanted to keep mouse use to a minimun, I´d double tap the direction I intend to roll (though it would be faster to mid click mouse at the same time I hit that direction), use the mouse to move the 90 degrees, then the thumb to hit Z and X (equivalent to 7 and 8).

Also there´s a mod somewhere (look for combat mod or something like that, though not sure how updated it is) that allows you to turn with the mouse without having to hold the right button if you´re interested, I know there are lots of people that love it, personally I´ve never tried, I´m so used to holding the right mouse button to turn since WoW that I don´t even notice it anymore.

If I wanted to go full keyboard, I´d probably keep my WASD bindings and bind the rest I´d need (turning, swimming up and down and so on) to the keypad and use it with the right hand, but never really tried it because I find the mouse better for that

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Maybe its just me but I cant hit the 1 key without lifting my entire left hand off the keyboard.  And the 2 key severely hinders my movement.  But those ideas are pretty good and I like the idea of a mod that makes it so you don't have to hold down the RMB the entire time.  Maybe when I'm bored of ESO i'll give this game another go.  Honestly GW2 does require more tactics but also has the flaw of 100 people all standing in the same spot because its better to fight that way.  What makes ESO so much easier is the fact that I can assign keybinds to my scroll up and scroll down mousewheel.  And I don't have to hold down the RMB instead I can use it for a skill.  I know there is software that allows you to make mousewheel do other things but then that messes up gw2 entire enterface considering a lot of it is bound to the mousewheel.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I didnt realize you can play any of those games you mentioned without a mouse. For me I think it would be frustrating to play without a mouse.  Sorry, I dont have an answer for you however. 
  • DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

OP, why don't you try playing with gamepad controller?

I know, GW2 does not have native controller support, but it's easy to set it up via Xpadder  or Pinnacle Game Profiler.

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

Apparently none of you seem to get what he's saying

in his examples - WoW, Rift, Swtor & Archeage are in one category -

Tab Target MMO's which you dont really need a mouse to play a tab target MMO because there is no real Aiming, just lock onto a target and spam abilities etc...

TERA & ESO are in the second Category -

Action Combat MMO's which are mouse look locked unless you press a hotkey to free your mouse and require you to Aim at a target and generally kite or actively mitigate with dodging, blocking, interrupting etc...

GW2 is stuck somewhere in the middle, where it's kind of like a soft target, but you still need to actively mitigate with dodging n such but it isnt really a full tab target or action combat mmo... it's like some derelict half breed, with sluggish movement and turning and the mouse feels really slow....

That being said dont get me wrong, i like GW2 it's a solid game, but the way it was made it should at least have an option to have mouse look lock like the addon does, that has since been discontinued and i'm not sure if there is a new one or any other mods that do the same thing, as they were deemed "illegal" by arenanet.

• DevilSephDevilSeph Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Originally posted by mbrodie

Tab Target MMO's which you dont really need a mouse to play a tab target MMO because there is no real Aiming, just lock onto a target and spam abilities etc...

Action Combat MMO's which are mouse look locked unless you press a hotkey to free your mouse and require you to Aim at a target and generally kite or actively mitigate with dodging, blocking, interrupting etc...

GW2 is stuck somewhere in the middle, where it's kind of like a soft target, but you still need to actively mitigate with dodging n such but it isnt really a full tab target or action combat mmo... it's like some derelict half breed, with sluggish movement and turning and the mouse feels really slow....

That being said dont get me wrong, i like GW2 it's a solid game, but the way it was made it should at least have an option to have mouse look lock like the addon does, that has since been discontinued and i'm not sure if there is a new one or any other mods that do the same thing, as they were deemed "illegal" by arenanet.

So this is why i use to kill 4 ,5 . 9 players solo in mmo-s.... that makes sense now , i thought i am so skilled, using macros on my mouse on my keyboard basically spam buttons in 0.5 sec and run around thinking I'm so good at this just to  find out , I was playing vs player's like you and op lol :D turn around slowly with keyboard and less buttons

Maybe that's why i kill 20 ppl straight in fps shooting games as well because of weirdos with controllers , keyboard's no mouse , no macros no smart movements , shit this explains a lot 

• muppetpilotmuppetpilot Member UncommonPosts: 171
    Originally posted by filmoret
    Originally posted by Siphaed

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

At any rate, you and I control games differently from what I read, but that doesn't mean you should be out in the cold.  Methinks you may be desiring something from other games (Tera, BnS, ESO, etc) to be part of Gw 2 and as far as I know, it's just not.  There are some options out there I suppose, a couple of people in this thread have offered some things that might work...a gamepad, perhaps?  I don't know if that's exactly what you are looking to do but it might make things smoother.

You may need to adjust your needs, play with more of a hybrid system or something like that one poster mentioned: rebinding your 1-8 keys to elsewhere, maybe.  Not sure what to tell you to do; ultimately if you're going to continue to play Gw 2 you're going to have to play by its rules, all you can do is alter things to the best of your liking.  Good luck.

"Why would I want to loose a religion upon my people? Religions wreck from within - Empires and individuals alike! It's all the same." - God Emperor of Dune

Originally posted by DevilSeph

So this is why i use to kill 4 ,5 . 9 players solo in mmo-s.... that makes sense now , i thought i am so skilled, using macros on my mouse on my keyboard basically spam buttons in 0.5 sec and run around thinking I'm so good at this just to  find out , I was playing vs player's like you and op lol :D turn around slowly with keyboard and less buttons

Maybe that's why i kill 20 ppl straight in fps shooting games as well because of weirdos with controllers , keyboard's no mouse , no macros no smart movements , shit this explains a lot 

what the hell are you talking about.. i was explaining what the OP meant, not defining my own playstyle... i actually use

Razer Naga 2014 Mechanical Mouse

Razer Orbweaver / Logitech G19

i always use mouse and keyboard.. i was just explaining the different playstyles... it's people like you, that make the question the OP asked so difficult.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Maybe its just me but I cant hit the 1 key without lifting my entire left hand off the keyboard.  And the 2 key severely hinders my movement.  But those ideas are pretty good and I like the idea of a mod that makes it so you don't have to hold down the RMB the entire time.  Maybe when I'm bored of ESO i'll give this game another go.  Honestly GW2 does require more tactics but also has the flaw of 100 people all standing in the same spot because its better to fight that way.  What makes ESO so much easier is the fact that I can assign keybinds to my scroll up and scroll down mousewheel.  And I don't have to hold down the RMB instead I can use it for a skill.  I know there is software that allows you to make mousewheel do other things but then that messes up gw2 entire enterface considering a lot of it is bound to the mousewheel.

Just bind the skills to easy to reach keys around wasd and you will be able to fire off skills lightning fast while moving.

Locking the right mouse button down would be a bad idea, because then you lose the essential ability to free look; or do niffty tricks like running away from an enemy and then teleporting behind them or leaping onto them without turning to face them. Also you will need to target players using the mouse at times instead of tabbing through them.

GW2 has the smoothest control and best UI of any mmo I have played so once you learn how it works you will be fine.

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791

Yeah I'm using Ctrl + (1,2,3,4,5) for skills 6,7,8,9,10 so I can quickly fire off utilities without release direction keys (being constantly on the move unless the skill roots me)

I've seen people use the usual strafe keys (Q and E) for heals and elites. Or people using Z,X,C,V for utilities (that seems unintuitive) or they drop few hundred bucks on Razer Naga or some shit like that and just bind the whole skill bar on the mouse, LOL

But in any case I would suggest you to really take advantage of your mouse. I just don't see you being competitive to ... anyone. You are essentially crippling yourself in any game you play (unless static casting is OP and target acquisition is easy) . Even in harder PvE encounters I can't see myself being even viable without making sharp turns to LOS an enemy or cut the path. 

I have a friend, girl, who plays from laptop (and has keypad, not a mouse xD) and the rest of us are really carrying her, she usually is the one that pulls all the aggro to us (by accident of course). So we spoke to her, she got herself some cheap 35$ mouse with extra buttons and started learning. Nobody minds her now and she enjoys the game a lot more because she is not feeling useless (we never told her she is, but if you down almost every fight and pull all the aggro, you start to get the point that you are making it harder for anyone on your team) 

So yeah, no offense, but buckle up, grow up and learn to play your mouse. If you play in group, you are just making it harder for everybody else and they are too nice to tell you the truth. 

Also to the guy that said camera rotation is sluggish, here are 3 points to troubleshoot your problem

1) You have mouse with a shitty DPI

2) Because of 1) you need to boost your mouse sensitivity in game, maybe even Windows

3) There is a camera rotation speed slider too if 1) and 2) do not help

If you still experience issues, please upgrade your potato pc. Because at 15 FPS, everything is sluggish. #kthxbye

Yea its been a while since I played.  I did try the gamepad but couldn't get it to throttle correctly it was either 100% or 0% when I would turn.  Then I got rid of strafe and used those keys for keybinds with mouse for turning and such.  I'm shocked that anet outlawed a mod that improved their character controls.  I understand making macros and scripting illegal but simple ui mods that allow you to fully control the characters easier should have been done by anet.  I got one of the mmo gaming mouses and it had like 16 buttons that was just crazy.  I needed one with about 6-8 buttons it would have been much easier to adjust to.  I'm pretty sure my GW2 characters are on a dead server now and since I play WvWvW returning is gonna cost me 20$.  I'll stick with ESO for now and return one day when I'm ready.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Originally posted by Leon1e

Yeah I'm using Ctrl + (1,2,3,4,5) for skills 6,7,8,9,10 so I can quickly fire off utilities without release direction keys (being constantly on the move unless the skill roots me)

I've seen people use the usual strafe keys (Q and E) for heals and elites. Or people using Z,X,C,V for utilities (that seems unintuitive) or they drop few hundred bucks on Razer Naga or some shit like that and just bind the whole skill bar on the mouse, LOL

But in any case I would suggest you to really take advantage of your mouse. I just don't see you being competitive to ... anyone. You are essentially crippling yourself in any game you play (unless static casting is OP and target acquisition is easy) . Even in harder PvE encounters I can't see myself being even viable without making sharp turns to LOS an enemy or cut the path. 

I have a friend, girl, who plays from laptop (and has keypad, not a mouse xD) and the rest of us are really carrying her, she usually is the one that pulls all the aggro to us (by accident of course). So we spoke to her, she got herself some cheap 35$ mouse with extra buttons and started learning. Nobody minds her now and she enjoys the game a lot more because she is not feeling useless (we never told her she is, but if you down almost every fight and pull all the aggro, you start to get the point that you are making it harder for anyone on your team) 

So yeah, no offense, but buckle up, grow up and learn to play your mouse. If you play in group, you are just making it harder for everybody else and they are too nice to tell you the truth. 

Also to the guy that said camera rotation is sluggish, here are 3 points to troubleshoot your problem

2) Because of 1) you need to boost your mouse sensitivity in game, maybe even Windows

If you still experience issues, please upgrade your potato pc. Because at 15 FPS, everything is sluggish. #kthxbye

Incorrect, i have a naga 2014 mechanical as i stated above with a max DPI of 8200, i shouldnt have to run my mouse at 8200 DPI  to get good performance out of the only game with sluggish mouse controls.

secondly my PC

i7 4790K

Asus Sabertooth Z97

16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro

2 x Radeon R9 290x running Crossfire

2 x 256GB Corsair Force 3 SSD

2 x 4TB WD Data Drives

NZXT Phantom Full tower

Corsair AX 860 Plus Platinum

Razer 2014 Mechanical

Razer OrbWeaver

Logitch G19

Astro A50 wireless

My PC is far from being a potato but thanks anyway, stop white knighting a game, the guy doesnt like the controls and i understand why... as i said it's not a bad game, it's just the controls are not suited for the gameplay.

Incorrect, i have a naga 2014 mechanical as i stated above with a max DPI of 8200, i shouldnt have to run my mouse at 8200 DPI  to get good performance out of the only game with sluggish mouse controls.

secondly my PC

i7 4790K

Asus Sabertooth Z97

2 x 4TB WD Data Drives

NZXT Phantom Full tower

Razer 2014 Mechanical

Razer OrbWeaver

Logitch G19

Astro A50 wireless

My PC is far from being a potato but thanks anyway, stop white knighting a game, the guy doesnt like the controls and i understand why... as i said it's not a bad game, it's just the controls are not suited for the gameplay.

Keep dreaming. My PC isn't worth a 10th of what you listed and I can do a 180 degree turn by moving my mouse with an inch.

Must be a faulty behind the keyboard device then c: 

Plus I suppose you never played with the camera slider and you just run your mouth for the sake of running like every other hater on this forum ("because that's how it was at launch"). Well, newsflash, game is changing. But yeah ... keep repeating same old shit. Maybe in 10 years time you'll agree that there is a wardrobe system and dye preview (even of locked dyes). But hey ... who am I to judge :P

P.S: Gw2 has no SLI/CrossFire profile under any GPU vendor. Thus no real benefits. And shame on you for using only 860W PSU to feed those GPUs + CPU. 

I actually ran crossfire 2 years ago. It did show I generally have more frames per second, but disabling crossfire made the game more responsive up with a notch. So that's that. Also I too run R9 290X now. Gw2 is the most responsive and best animated MMORPG i've played in the past 10 years.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Dakeru

The controls are actually very much like Eso and Tera - but you have to hold down the right mouse button at all times.

I really don't understand why so many games require you to hold down the right mouse button.  Just let me do the same things without holding down the button.  Have a button to exit out of mouslook just like ESO and Darkfall.  I don't understand it.

Edit:  Wildstar needs locked mouselook the most of all.

Originally posted by Mardukk

I really don't understand why so many games require you to hold down the right mouse button.  Just let me do the same things without holding down the button.  Have a button to exit out of mouslook just like ESO and Darkfall.  I don't understand it.

You know whats really sad is they banned the mod that made it happen.  I don't see any changes about this subject happening it appears to me they are very proud of what they have done to strafe.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

secondly my PC

i7 4790K

Asus Sabertooth Z97

2 x 4TB WD Data Drives

NZXT Phantom Full tower

Razer 2014 Mechanical

Razer OrbWeaver

Logitch G19

Astro A50 wireless

I am not sure why you are having issues with mouse control, I can get the mouse to be extremely sensitive or dull with the in game adjustment slider.

The controls are eminently suited for the gameplay: its a completely different style of combat than games like Tera or NWO and wouldn't work very well with a locked camera. 

Originally posted by YashaX

secondly my PC

i7 4790K

Asus Sabertooth Z97

2 x 4TB WD Data Drives

NZXT Phantom Full tower

Razer 2014 Mechanical

Razer OrbWeaver

Logitch G19

Astro A50 wireless

I am not sure why you are having issues with mouse control, I can get the mouse to be extremely sensitive or dull with the in game adjustment slider.

The controls are eminently suited for the gameplay: its a completely different style of combat than games like Tera or NWO and wouldn't work very well with a locked camera. 

i played it with mouse lock at launch and considering mouse lock is optional.. you toggle it on or off with a keybind just like in every other mouse look game.. it works extremely well and was well suited to the game until the devs shut it down.

secondly my PC

i7 4790K

Asus Sabertooth Z97

2 x 4TB WD Data Drives

NZXT Phantom Full tower

Razer 2014 Mechanical

Razer OrbWeaver

Logitch G19

Astro A50 wireless

Keep dreaming. My PC isn't worth a 10th of what you listed and I can do a 180 degree turn by moving my mouse with an inch.

Must be a faulty behind the keyboard device then c: 

Plus I suppose you never played with the camera slider and you just run your mouth for the sake of running like every other hater on this forum ("because that's how it was at launch"). Well, newsflash, game is changing. But yeah ... keep repeating same old shit. Maybe in 10 years time you'll agree that there is a wardrobe system and dye preview (even of locked dyes). But hey ... who am I to judge :P

P.S: Gw2 has no SLI/CrossFire profile under any GPU vendor. Thus no real benefits. And shame on you for using only 860W PSU to feed those GPUs + CPU. 

I actually ran crossfire 2 years ago. It did show I generally have more frames per second, but disabling crossfire made the game more responsive up with a notch. So that's that. Also I too run R9 290X now. Gw2 is the most responsive and best animated MMORPG i've played in the past 10 years.

at no point have i said it's a terrible game... all i've said is it would be better with mouselock

but sure, get butthurt also i'm not dreaming, do you need to see a dxdiag or something... also the power ratings on everything in my build do not require more than what i already have supplying power... anything more would just be overkill...

also why are you comparing my computer specs to guild wars 2 capabilities... like i was clearly stating for you who wanted to make a smart ass comment that i'm running a potato, that i'm not, but thanks for caring.

They need to fire the person who took mouse lock out of the interface.  Can't believe it was in beta but they took it out that just sounds absurd.

You know whats really sad is they banned the mod that made it happen.  I don't see any changes about this subject happening it appears to me they are very proud of what they have done to strafe.

I don't think you understand the right meaning of the term strafe. You *can* bind keys to strafing so whether you have mouselook or not, you do not rotate your camera when moving. I actually changed my A and D keys from rotate left/right to strafe left/right. Ain't nobody got time to turn with a keyboard :D

And well when something doesn't work right in BETA but you have got to launch the game next month, these features tend to get cut off. Kinda like the DirectX 11 renderer they had. Which for some reason had worse performance than the DirectX 9 one at the time. Thus PCs shit themselves in WvW now. 

I don't think you understand the right meaning of the term strafe. You *can* bind keys to strafing so whether you have mouselook or not, you do not rotate your camera when moving. I actually changed my A and D keys from rotate left/right to strafe left/right. Ain't nobody got time to turn with a keyboard :D

And well when something doesn't work right in BETA but you have got to launch the game next month, these features tend to get cut off. Kinda like the DirectX 11 renderer they had. Which for some reason had worse performance than the DirectX 9 one at the time. Thus PCs shit themselves in WvW now. 

That comment had to do with the RMB lock and strafe is an entire beast separately.  I just downloaded the game to see what it is that I am remembering about how horrible strafe is is in that game.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    There's a mod you can use called Immersive Combat Mode that lets you toggle mouselook mode. It also lets you put actions on the left and right mouse button while it's active, instead of left and right click. I use it with no problems.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Originally posted by Vannor
    There's a mod you can use called Immersive Combat Mode that lets you toggle mouselook mode. It also lets you put actions on the left and right mouse button while it's active, instead of left and right click. I use it with no problems.

I heard there was a mod but GW2 banned it.  I'm currently researching the subject.  It would be very nice to have for sure.  Might even tempt me to come play the game again.