Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't do this stuff anymore

KobaoKobao Member UncommonPosts: 27

It's about 4 or something years since I stopped playing WoW. I'm trying FFXIV now after this long break during which I've only tried couple games for few days. I STILL feel nauseous from this sort of game... I just can't take another linear leveling zone where I press two buttons and wait for GCD. Nobody talks much, I'm not trying either, it's hard when everybody is quiet, I'm not exactly social either, in WoW I always used to start 5 mans and socialize and bond with the groups, can't aynmore because attitudes have changed because of change in community and game mechanics that promote unsocial behavior. Pretty spell effects and some silly fantasy stories, can't relate with this stuff. Grind of 50 levels to go into raids where people obsess about performance and gear... yeah, this is attitude problem on my part too, but tell me what else is actual focus of this games than that. Carefully crafted minigames are not gonig to cut it.

This was good reminder why I stopped... this is not really directed at FFXIV only. And I hate that all I have to say about these games is complain like most everybody else on this site, but I can't help it.

I used to play MMORPG's like crazy, and all kind of "hardcore" games... now I just rather play a card game or tower defense game on smartphone. My past self would not believe it.

Comments

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Kobao

It's about 4 or something years since I stopped playing WoW. I'm trying FFXIV now after this long break during which I've only tried couple games for few days. I STILL feel nauseous from this sort of game... I just can't take another linear leveling zone where I press two buttons and wait for GCD. Nobody talks much, I'm not trying either, it's hard when everybody is quiet, I'm not exactly social either, in WoW I always used to start 5 mans and socialize and bond with the groups, can't aynmore because attitudes have changed because of change in community and game mechanics that promote unsocial behavior. Pretty spell effects and some silly fantasy stories, can't relate with this stuff. Grind of 50 levels to go into raids where people obsess about performance and gear...

This was good reminder why I stopped... this is not really directed at FFXIV only. And I hate that all I have to say about these games is complain like most everybody else on this site, but I can't help it.

I used to play MMORPG's like crazy, and all kind of "hardcore" games... now I just rather play a card game or tower defense game on smartphone. My past self would not believe it.

u used to play mmorpgs like crazy....i guess u are just burned out , take a break from this genre and come back and u will find yourself having fun again.

• KobaoKobao Member UncommonPosts: 27

Yes, I just thought 4 years would be enough, not for me, I would probably get some MMORPG anxiety, burnout diagnosis if they gave those

I literally feel physically ill, I was okay with it back then when I didn't even care that I felt bad, or understand it

• ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141
    FFxiv is great u crazy
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

etc

The talking thing really isn't a good excuse.

Join a guild.

People are joining, talking and bonding in guilds.

And with all the nonsense that general chat can generate do you blame them?

Other than that, the game is the game. You might feel differently if you are part of a guild and working towards things. I can't say.

There are other kinds of games out there. They might not be as polished as you would like but they might offer the gameplay you desire.

Darkfall comes to mind. So does EVE, though it's very polished from what I can see.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • thyraventhyraven Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Then don't do it.....
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    If your tired of wow, then picking another MMO that is a raiding gear race style MMO as well is not going to be much different. Eso,gw2,eve, Lotr, archage all offer something different but if they don't suit them it's time to take a long break.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Originally posted by Deleted User

It's about 4 or something years since I stopped playing WoW. I'm trying FFXIV now after this long break during which I've only tried couple games for few days. I STILL feel nauseous from this sort of game... I just can't take another linear leveling zone where I press two buttons and wait for GCD. Nobody talks much, I'm not trying either, it's hard when everybody is quiet, I'm not exactly social either, in WoW I always used to start 5 mans and socialize and bond with the groups, can't aynmore because attitudes have changed because of change in community and game mechanics that promote unsocial behavior. Pretty spell effects and some silly fantasy stories, can't relate with this stuff. Grind of 50 levels to go into raids where people obsess about performance and gear... yeah, this is attitude problem on my part too, but tell me what else is actual focus of this games than that. Carefully crafted minigames are not gonig to cut it.

So you came here to tell us why you dont like MMOs anymore? Ok....

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

In so many words you admit that it's you OP.  I don't think the games are your problem right now.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    The game is not Linear, you can level up all Jobs/Classes you dont have to stick to one.  I hate to say it but the genera is never going to go back to the days of UO or SWG, its just not.  Even with all the kickstarters, its not going to happen.  To get player today they understand Level up not Skill ups or a true sandbox like UO or SWG.  You throw any of today's MMO players who didn't play MMOs before wow and they will be completely lost and quit.  
  • vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by danwest58
    The game is not Linear, you can level up all Jobs/Classes you dont have to stick to one.  I hate to say it but the genera is never going to go back to the days of UO or SWG, its just not.  Even with all the kickstarters, its not going to happen.  To get player today they understand Level up not Skill ups or a true sandbox like UO or SWG.  You throw any of today's MMO players who didn't play MMOs before wow and they will be completely lost and quit.  

That's kinda insulting don't you think?  There are kids these days that will run circles around you with intelligence and witt as well as patience.  Get a clue.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Skuall

It's about 4 or something years since I stopped playing WoW. I'm trying FFXIV now after this long break during which I've only tried couple games for few days. I STILL feel nauseous from this sort of game... I just can't take another linear leveling zone where I press two buttons and wait for GCD. Nobody talks much, I'm not trying either, it's hard when everybody is quiet, I'm not exactly social either, in WoW I always used to start 5 mans and socialize and bond with the groups, can't aynmore because attitudes have changed because of change in community and game mechanics that promote unsocial behavior. Pretty spell effects and some silly fantasy stories, can't relate with this stuff. Grind of 50 levels to go into raids where people obsess about performance and gear...

u used to play mmorpgs like crazy....i guess u are just burned out , take a break from this genre and come back and u will find yourself having fun again.

Not true.  Ive not played an MMO for 3 years now and every time i've tried to replay or play a new mmo, its lasted at most a day or two.  MMO's just suck now, there is literally 0 sense of accomplishment.  For the first time since i first set foot into EQ i've actually finished a single player RPG (pillars of eternity).  Before that i never cared enough to because i had MMO's.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

Not true.  Ive not played an MMO for 3 years now and every time i've tried to replay or play a new mmo, its lasted at most a day or two.  MMO's just suck now, there is literally 0 sense of accomplishment.  For the first time since i first set foot into EQ i've actually finished a single player RPG (pillars of eternity).  Before that i never cared enough to because i had MMO's.

Sucks for you, there's plenty of MMORPG'S that don't suck for me and plenty  of accomplishments I have to get to.

Originally posted by vandal5627

Sucks for you, there's plenty of MMORPG'S that don't suck for me and plenty  of accomplishments I have to get to.

Honestly, im glad for you.  If getting some mark in a book that says you collected X number of things, or killed Y number of mobs is what gets your juices flowing, more power to you.  Unfortunately for me thats not the case, and every MMO i've tried in the past 5 years has been a bunch of participation trophy BS. I absolutely hate it.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Honestly, im glad for you.  If getting some mark in a book that says you collected X number of things, or killed Y number of mobs is what gets your juices flowing, more power to you.  Unfortunately for me thats not the case, and every MMO i've tried in the past 5 years has been a bunch of participation trophy BS. I absolutely hate it.

Almost any game is what you just described. You do something and get rewarded for it. Everything from Mario, Donkey Kong, and even Space Invaders. If you can't handle the way mmorpgs give out things to do (quests/missions) and are then rewarded for doing it, you can go to another genre, but it's pretty much the same thing, just dressed different. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Amjoco

Almost any game is what you just described. You do something and get rewarded for it. Everything from Mario, Donkey Kong, and even Space Invaders. If you can't handle the way mmorpgs give out things to do (quests/missions) and are then rewarded for doing it, you can go to another genre, but it's pretty much the same thing, just dressed different. 

You are heavily diluting the argument.  That the same thing as trying to say that being rewarded for running 3 miles and feeling good afterwards is the same level of reward/satisfaction you would get after having completed a marathon.

They're two completely different feelings.  While both are "good" because they are rewards. Small rewards devalue accomplishment.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Amjoco

You are heavily diluting the argument.  That the same thing as trying to say that being rewarded for running 3 miles and feeling good afterwards is the same level of reward/satisfaction you would get after having completed a marathon.

They're two completely different feelings.  While both are "good" because they are rewards. Small rewards devalue accomplishment.

Of course I diluted it, it was meant to be simple. Even simpler, don't play mmorpgs if you don't like the reward. /shrug

I'm not sure why you listed all those titles in your profile and claim them as BS. Doesn't make sense how someone can play a game, call it crap, and then list it as some type of an accomplishment in a profile. By your analogy you are running 3 miles and collecting the reward of a marathon.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I think its pretty funny you write something like this and also have a Friedrich Nietzsche quote as your signature.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by DMKano

OP - then why keep choosing linear games?

Why not play games where you can advance without any questing or following any storyline?

Some games like ArcheAge you actually level up *faster* by crafting or fishing/mining gathering etc than questing.

thats how it works for subscribers? i saw pure hell when i noticed everything i did in the game from gathering mats to crafting drained my already small pool of LP as a non subscriber. So no, it is not faster to level up doing anything other than questing.

But again, maybe you are specifically talking about subscribers.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Looks like op is long gone but I would suggest a game with very optional quests. No required forced at gun point down a linear path (old school mmos, darkfall Eve etc...)
  • FirstKnight117FirstKnight117 Member UncommonPosts: 109

OP: you may have just literally "outgrown" MMOs. That doesn't mean MMOs are bad, but maybe you've changed and can't enjoy them the way you used to? Yes, MMOs have changed too, so I would think you just haven't found some of the newer or niche games out there that offer a different experience. 

I do agree that as a genre though, MMOs or MMORPGs do have some fundamental things that probably never will change. You can only design a persistent environment so many ways and those environments will always have some limitations. If you can't accept those then maybe it's time to move on to single player RPGs or whatever suits your fancy. FFXIV is a great MMO with a great story, but yes, it has the same limitations as everything else. Personally I enjoy some MMOs right now but Real Life (tm) has changed a lot for me, so I've been taking the time to enjoy my enormous Steam library when I'm not playing my favorite MMO. 

Who knows, maybe even a game like Hearthstone would meet your needs, I just got it for my iPhone and having lots of fun with it. :-) Or story based games like Life Is Strange maybe? The list goes ever on and on. Good Luck and happy adventuring...

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by Deleted User

Play ArcheAge, sure Trion needs to be roundhouse kicked with a bag of bricks for the way they handle hackers and cheaters but you won't get bored with it like you would with your average tunnel vision mouse in a maze themepark mmo. I know exactly how you feel man, I'm going to probably suck it up and just resub to AA myself and just say the hell with the hackers.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    I agree with you OP. Those types of games were fun 10 years ago when wow invented this style of play but enough is enough. There is so much you can stomach before getting completely burnt out. No break is going to help improve, at least it doesn't for me. If I wanted to play wow, I would play wow, not its thousands of derivatives. On the flip side ffxiv is one of the much much better theme parks on the market. Wow and ffxiv are probably the best. The main thing that holds back this game over wow is the combat. Press 2 buttons wait an eternity between each press.... Zzzzz

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• tekichantekichan Member CommonPosts: 11

This has probably already been said... but just in case --- The only reason why mmo's and the like are lacking is because there is no sense of importance in the first place [and yes, no matter how much you say I'm wrong this argument will end up true] ^_^ .  The world is/should be  a persistent one [sandbox speaking] and jumping in and having a  feeling like you had missed something makes you more engaged in that world... jumping in and getting a static message sucks... and jumping in and getting a status update that everyone got also sucks. But getting an update based on you and your storyline progress/update to the world relevant to your own doings.... well that's icing on the cake that we need to keep inspired and engaged focus on that game world - what is needed is an update result and just putting it up there is an empathy technology is what is needed in order to further the drive towards one experience to another.  The ability to relate based on progress and time away CAN be done in a way that is relevant to the individual user based on information collected based on habits in the world. Its that kind of immersion that will be required in the future of games that will set the tone in the future. Games like eve online doesn't even have to do that as their player base does it for them... but games that are either early on or doesn't have a strong player interaction core such as eve and other games need to fill that niche in order to keep players up and running an pissed that they missed the last few hours as they were unable to see or be part of an event based on other players in an instance that was led up to an event not only by the game but by other players as well

Now... can I do this myself? NO NO NO --- lol -- BUT I can help with another perspective that few if rarely few companies working towards that goal of achieving get the even smallest kind of slice of seeing

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

The reason why so many players don't get any satisfaction from these types of games is that we already done them. If gaming is a puzzle then ff14 is a puzzle you probably already solved 15 times while playing wow and once you start playing ff14 you notice all the pieces and where to fit them, and that's just not fun. Some people can still find satisfaction from that sort of activity, but others needs something different/harder.

It has nothing to do with burnout, which involves something completely different.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Shaigh

The reason why so many players don't get any satisfaction from these types of games is that we already done them. If gaming is a puzzle then ff14 is a puzzle you probably already solved 15 times while playing wow and once you start playing ff14 you notice all the pieces and where to fit them, and that's just not fun. Some people can still find satisfaction from that sort of activity, but others needs something different/harder.

It has nothing to do with burnout, which involves something completely different.

That applies to any matured genre. FPS, racing, RTS, MOBA, fighting games. All games are simply derivations of the genre staples. Yet only in the MMO genre is part of the community constantly asking for "something else" that simply won't happen.

This is the genre now. Take it or leave it. This incessant whining is not an option.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".