Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is FFXIV?

124»

Comments

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by sagewisdom
    Originally posted by danwest58
    Originally posted by monochrome19

It's alright, your typical themepark mmo.

Play it, have fun, get tired, leave, come back. Rinse repeat.

I finished all of the endgame content in about a month so I'm just waiting until we hear more about the xpac before I decide to return. As of now, its not really worth returning to for me.

If you want a Old School Sandbox MMO FFXIV will not be for you at any time.  There are kickstarters coming out that will be sandbox MMOs however I doubt they will last long because when it comes down to it, todays MMO gamer will not survive in a sandbox MMO like UO or SWG.  Both I played for several years before WOW.  I can tell you that Sandbox MMOs will not work because I tried to get my friends who played WOW into UO and SWG, within 1 hour of playing and not knowing where to go and how to do things they all quit.  Todays MMO gamer is too much into pick up this quest go here with Rift and FFXIV events going on.  MMOs today even the kickstarts will need a few hundred thousand subs unless they go full pay to win to be able to make money or even be able to keep the servers on.  

Sorry but old Sandbox MMOs are just not the answer and too many forum goers post over and over again, this game is a Themepark it sucks.  Yet dont understand MMOs before WOW took a lot of time to understand and hours upon hours to get to where a person wanted to go.  It will not work in a fast food MMO era.  Thats why Themeparks are here, now FFXIV at least puts some Sandbox elements into their game.  

Personally, I think FFXIV just needs more early game stuff to do that isn't part of the typical same old, same old of a themepark. A good old fashion dungeon with puzzles and treasure.

Of course, there's also the problem with the Themepark mindset as well - if the game gives you a direction or a quest you should do it instead of you can do it. I would personally like to seem some quests not "pop" until you've had an actual discussion with the NPC, and some non-marked quests. Group based quests, some overworld bosses that actually feel like they came out of a dungeon, and unlock a lot more stuff before end game.

I can see what you are saying.  The problem the developers have is today is many MMO gamers rush to end game.  Look at SWTOR, they planned for players to not tough end game content for 6 months.  People did all the end game content in 1 month.  So Yoshi has put his developers to work on end game content even though leveling content is so so.  Yea they could use more dungeons with different things.  The problem is the effort dungeons take to design and balance.  The same with quests and all that.  

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    This game, in my opinion, is the best WoW out there. Whether you're hardcore into raiding, midcore gamer, casual, crafter, this game will likely please you in some way or form.  

If it was truly casual friendly, it wouldn t have a story line where you re required to do dungeons to continue it. It doesn t matter if theres a duty finder or not, some people don t want to do dungeons.

Originally posted by Soki123
    This game, in my opinion, is the best WoW out there. Whether you're hardcore into raiding, midcore gamer, casual, crafter, this game will likely please you in some way or form.  

If it was truly casual friendly, it wouldn t have a story line where you re required to do dungeons to continue it. It doesn t matter if theres a duty finder or not, some people don t want to do dungeons.

Casual Friendly means nothing when it comes to grouping. I am a casual player though I have raided in the past.  Just because I am a Casual player does not mean I am a SOLO player.  I play an MMO to play with other people.  If you dont ever want to play with other people go play Dragon Age or another single player game.  MMOs should force you to group up like FFXIV does.  It should period end of story other wise it might as well just be a single player game where you never need to be online.

Casual Friendly means nothing when it comes to grouping. I am a casual player though I have raided in the past.  Just because I am a Casual player does not mean I am a SOLO player.  I play an MMO to play with other people.  If you dont ever want to play with other people go play Dragon Age or another single player game.  MMOs should force you to group up like FFXIV does.  It should period end of story other wise it might as well just be a single player game where you never need to be online.

Lol, to do a story quest around your character should not require grouping. I never said theres anything wrong with grouping, I said it shouldn t be required to advance your char. Big difference, and to quote you "period".

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

I finished all of the endgame content in about a month so I'm just waiting until we hear more about the xpac before I decide to return. As of now, its not really worth returning to for me.

If you want a Old School Sandbox MMO FFXIV will not be for you at any time.  There are kickstarters coming out that will be sandbox MMOs however I doubt they will last long because when it comes down to it, todays MMO gamer will not survive in a sandbox MMO like UO or SWG.  Both I played for several years before WOW.  I can tell you that Sandbox MMOs will not work because I tried to get my friends who played WOW into UO and SWG, within 1 hour of playing and not knowing where to go and how to do things they all quit.  Todays MMO gamer is too much into pick up this quest go here with Rift and FFXIV events going on.  MMOs today even the kickstarts will need a few hundred thousand subs unless they go full pay to win to be able to make money or even be able to keep the servers on.  

Sorry but old Sandbox MMOs are just not the answer and too many forum goers post over and over again, this game is a Themepark it sucks.  Yet dont understand MMOs before WOW took a lot of time to understand and hours upon hours to get to where a person wanted to go.  It will not work in a fast food MMO era.  Thats why Themeparks are here, now FFXIV at least puts some Sandbox elements into their game.  

Personally, I think FFXIV just needs more early game stuff to do that isn't part of the typical same old, same old of a themepark. A good old fashion dungeon with puzzles and treasure.

Of course, there's also the problem with the Themepark mindset as well - if the game gives you a direction or a quest you should do it instead of you can do it. I would personally like to seem some quests not "pop" until you've had an actual discussion with the NPC, and some non-marked quests. Group based quests, some overworld bosses that actually feel like they came out of a dungeon, and unlock a lot more stuff before end game.

I personally don't see what this would accomplish. The early game stuff is designed specifically to get new gamers/MMO players up to speed, gameplay wise there is nothing of much interest to MMO vets. With that said I don't see how it would fit the overall game design that the devs would fill the early game with truly novel stuff to do within the systems that still cater to new gamers/MMO players that find "the same old" new and exciting. As it is the early game is relatively fleshed out with little corners cut. Bugs are nonexistent, the quality stays at an adequate level throughout and there is more and more variety as you progress. Even then the content is designed to teach the players rather than make full use of the systems in place, so implementing novel content in that environment would limit the full potential of it.

Granted, we just got a massive minigame hub starting at level 15 so that's an example of what can be done. Of course in a true themepark mindset fashion "what doesn't raise my parameters is totally useless and not worth anything". That isn't the case for new gamers though, which is why the features are actually quite popular in-game. That feature caters to new players too, as they aren't conditioned to seek the most optimal way to play at all times for the biggest parameters while completely ignoring everything that deviates from that single goal.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".

Lol, to do a story quest around your character should not require grouping. I never said theres anything wrong with grouping, I said it shouldn t be required to advance your char. Big difference, and to quote you "period".

Sorry but no.  If people do not group when content is easy and designed to make you learn how to play your role in a group you get a bunch of people who know Nothing about their Job/role at end game.  Leveling is designed to teach you how to play your character in ANY game.  If you are playing an MMO you should be forced to group at low levels so you understand how to play in a group.  If you do not want to group with other people single player games are the way to go.  

Originally posted by drivendawn

Gonna have to agree to disagree. There are plenty of people that can play their role in a group well. However there are many new to mmo's that don't and having some mandatory dungeons to progress teaches them the ropes. Instead of lvling to end game and not know what they are doing. Also I like the idea that my character isn't some super man that can save the world single handedly.

To add to your comment

This is the problem with current WOW is new MMO players come in and never do an instance while leveling right, they end up at end game not knowing how to play their role at end game.   They end up completely lost and waste peoples time because they never once did an instance.  Yes you didnt have to do instances in Vanilla WOW or TBC however it was one of the faster ways to level plus the quest for dungeons gave really good XP so people did them, many times over and you could pug groups back then and have a high success rate.  WHY?  Because players knew their role and performed it over and over again.  Where their players that were completely lost.  Yes their were and these were the ones that wouldnt group with people and complained the instances should be solo.  This is why MMOs are bad today and grouping sucks unless you have a group of friends to do the content.  Because people want to Solo everything in MMOs and dont want to learn grouping as apart of the game and the games leveling experience.  I dont feel that MMOs need to be as group driven as FFXI was however forcing you to do a dozen or so instances so you learn your role, yes it should.  

Sorry but no.  If people do not group when content is easy and designed to make you learn how to play your role in a group you get a bunch of people who know Nothing about their Job/role at end game.  Leveling is designed to teach you how to play your character in ANY game.  If you are playing an MMO you should be forced to group at low levels so you understand how to play in a group.  If you do not want to group with other people single player games are the way to go.  

Wow you don t really read do you. I said theres NOTHING WRONG WITH GROUPING, just don t make me have to do it to advance a story. Some people don t have oodles of time, but still like to play these games. I guess next you ll tell me to play a tank so my que is instant?

• sagewisdomsagewisdom Member UncommonPosts: 87

Wow you don t really read do you. I said theres NOTHING WRONG WITH GROUPING, just don t make me have to do it to advance a story. Some people don t have oodles of time, but still like to play these games. I guess next you ll tell me to play a tank so my que is instant?

You're missing the point. He said forced grouping during the story is good because it forces you to learn to play your role before you get to end game which has the harder dungeons, trials, and raids. If you weren't forced to do easier dungeons, you would or at least, a huge amount of players, would have no idea how to play their role properly. This game is mechanically heavy and the hardest stuff relies on you do your role optimally in order to beat it - if you aren't taught, it will just cause more problems. Rarely do you get someone who knows nothing about their role.

And, forcing them to do dungeons outside the levelling process would either cause grumble because so many are pre-50 dungeons and people would be annoyed they have to go weaker to just get to the good stuff at post 50. After all, they can't make them all post 50 since that would be too many and not enough for lower levels to do. Optional dungeons also have the problem of people not doing or finding the quest - not every player goes asking for advice since they want to experience the game freely - and thus being annoyed or pissed at the levelling process which would be a lot slower.

To say nothing of the story - they would seem a lot less awesome without these very awesome dungeons in the middle of them. Being forced to group with other players - the game saying you alone aren't good enough - to complete a mission gives it a stronger epic feel.

Dont use the time as an excuse because you people use it all the time.  I have on average 8 to 10 hours a week.  If I really am lucky and get a vacation day to myself I can push 15 hours one week.  How is it I can manage doing all the FFXIV storyline quest without once using the Duty Finder?  First I made friends and often times I will ask them a day or two a head of time to run stuff with me.  My wife also plays with me so that helps.  If I still need to pug 1 spot I use the Party Finder and heck every time I have always had a full group in under 10 minutes.  Dont need DF.  Not once since I been back and started on Siren did I need the DF and have to wait in queue.  WHY?  Because I can use Social Skills to make friends, that is the POINT of MMOs to play with other people and Make friends.  If you do not want to do that then MMOs are not for you.  That is why we have WOW in the current shape it is in.  Which is TRASH because people like you over use I DONT HAVE TIME for EVERYTHING.  If instances took 90 minutes 2 hours, or more.  I would understand.  However instances take 30 to 45 minutes tops and thats pulling every mob and not wiping which is very easy to do.  If you cannot do that Sorry you do not belong playing.  This is a Group Game which requires Social skills to make friends as well as make your world a whole lot easier.  

If you were on Siren and needed a run and I could not do it at X time tonight I would say hey I have time tomorrow or the next day and can fit your stuff in then without a problem.  The CORE problem is you and people like you that think that you are on RIGHT NOW and need the content done RIGHT NOW.  Then your bored because its hard to keep up with fast food type people vs pacing yourself and trying to run it with friends.  

Again I understand time because I have a Career, 3 Kids, and a wife.  However I do not use it as an excuse why I cannot make friends and why I need easy solo content because if I need to run in a group it takes time and skills to find people to run with me.  

Originally posted by Hyanmen

I personally don't see what this would accomplish. The early game stuff is designed specifically to get new gamers/MMO players up to speed, gameplay wise there is nothing of much interest to MMO vets. With that said I don't see how it would fit the overall game design that the devs would fill the early game with truly novel stuff to do within the systems that still cater to new gamers/MMO players that find "the same old" new and exciting. As it is the early game is relatively fleshed out with little corners cut. Bugs are nonexistent, the quality stays at an adequate level throughout and there is more and more variety as you progress. Even then the content is designed to teach the players rather than make full use of the systems in place, so implementing novel content in that environment would limit the full potential of it.

Granted, we just got a massive minigame hub starting at level 15 so that's an example of what can be done. Of course in a true themepark mindset fashion "what doesn't raise my parameters is totally useless and not worth anything". That isn't the case for new gamers though, which is why the features are actually quite popular in-game. That feature caters to new players too, as they aren't conditioned to seek the most optimal way to play at all times for the biggest parameters while completely ignoring everything that deviates from that single goal.

Vets would have more optional ways to level an alt class.

As for all of the other stuff? While I was levelling, I found the quest text to be more fun than a lot of the quests themselves. But, there's also just adventuring, you know? Seeing a dungeon and not having it be this grand place that needs us to go through it in order to save the day, but just a, let's say, cave with monsters and treasures. It's there and you can go in to just explore, maybe learn some lore, get some treasure, fight some rare monsters. It's just plain fun.

Not to mention, it would be a way to do some interesting and in some cases difficult side missions by having you go into these dungeons to kill a rare monster. Or, some rare nodes for gatherers. Or, a high quality weapon at the end of the dungeon (for every party member).

Dont use the time as an excuse because you people use it all the time.  I have on average 8 to 10 hours a week.  If I really am lucky and get a vacation day to myself I can push 15 hours one week.  How is it I can manage doing all the FFXIV storyline quest without once using the Duty Finder?  First I made friends and often times I will ask them a day or two a head of time to run stuff with me.  My wife also plays with me so that helps.  If I still need to pug 1 spot I use the Party Finder and heck every time I have always had a full group in under 10 minutes.  Dont need DF.  Not once since I been back and started on Siren did I need the DF and have to wait in queue.  WHY?  Because I can use Social Skills to make friends, that is the POINT of MMOs to play with other people and Make friends.  If you do not want to do that then MMOs are not for you.  That is why we have WOW in the current shape it is in.  Which is TRASH because people like you over use I DONT HAVE TIME for EVERYTHING.  If instances took 90 minutes 2 hours, or more.  I would understand.  However instances take 30 to 45 minutes tops and thats pulling every mob and not wiping which is very easy to do.  If you cannot do that Sorry you do not belong playing.  This is a Group Game which requires Social skills to make friends as well as make your world a whole lot easier.  

If you were on Siren and needed a run and I could not do it at X time tonight I would say hey I have time tomorrow or the next day and can fit your stuff in then without a problem.  The CORE problem is you and people like you that think that you are on RIGHT NOW and need the content done RIGHT NOW.  Then your bored because its hard to keep up with fast food type people vs pacing yourself and trying to run it with friends.  

Again I understand time because I have a Career, 3 Kids, and a wife.  However I do not use it as an excuse why I cannot make friends and why I need easy solo content because if I need to run in a group it takes time and skills to find people to run with me.  

I ll use time as an excuse "all I want. I m not a want it now person at all, actually. I could care less if it took me 100 times longer to get what needs to be done then someone who runs dungeons etc. You re displaying an elitist attitude, and to say people don t know how to play their roles, because they don t group is ridiculous. I ve played plenty of MMOs in all roles to know, that you re better at "knowing" your role because you group up is laughable at best. I used to solo rvr on a Skald back in DAOC, and I used to do as good or better most of the time, because I knew my role quite well. Pve, my wife and I have duoed content in games before that was meant for a group at its level or close to it, and did better then any group. At least I can watch the cutscenes that way, if you play XIV you ll know what I mean.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

The dungeons they make you do could be done while blindfolded, and barely take up any of your time (literally there's a max timer). That's as casual as it gets, no? Do you want Yoshi-P to play for you or something?  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788

I ll use time as an excuse "all I want. I m not a want it now person at all, actually. I could care less if it took me 100 times longer to get what needs to be done then someone who runs dungeons etc. You re displaying an elitist attitude, and to say people don t know how to play their roles, because they don t group is ridiculous. I ve played plenty of MMOs in all roles to know, that you re better at "knowing" your role because you group up is laughable at best. I used to solo rvr on a Skald back in DAOC, and I used to do as good or better most of the time, because I knew my role quite well. Pve, my wife and I have duoed content in games before that was meant for a group at its level or close to it, and did better then any group. At least I can watch the cutscenes that way, if you play XIV you ll know what I mean.

For someone that clearly stated they didn't want to argue their opionions you sure do love to argue your opinion.  lol

Originally posted by vandal5627

For someone that clearly stated they didn't want to argue their opionions you sure do love to argue your opinion.  lol

Fair enough, but I am because he/she isn t reading what Im saying just what he wants to see.

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by vandal5627

Fair enough, but I am because he/she isn t reading what Im saying just what he wants to see.

Goes both ways, neither of you are right or wrong.

Yea I displaying an Elitist Attitude because I dont want another game dumbed down to the lowest common denominator so every person who can mash buttons is given something to make them free good.  No I display an Adult attitude that expects people to step and do what is required of them to achieve in life as well as in games.  Why do I say Adult attitude, because you sound like my 13 year old last night who was complaining that her video games suck because they are too hard and take too much time to get to the last boss and how the game should just put her at the last boss and let her kill the last boss.  It too hard and she has too little time for games (mainly because as a good parent my wife and I limit her game time and make her do other things like go outside).  Anyways I went on and said no that would defeat the entire purpose of the game and what the game is trying to build you up to become.  Well She then went on about how it sucks that she has to grow up and is expected over time to take on more and more responsibilities, and she should just be allowed and supported to do what ever she wants to do all day any day.  Very much like your mentality and how anyone that says no and it should require you to put effort in is an Elitist.  No Sorry thats not how the world works nor should video games because just like my daughter's attitude about how games should catter to her she feels life should.  

Should games be so hard and time consuming that only the unemployed be able to play?  No however they should hold you to a Certain standard, MMOs it should make you make friends and work with friends to achieve your common goals, Just like if you were playing Hockey, Football, and any team game.  MMOs are a team game, its not like playing solitaire.  Tough you dont like what I say.  O well there are things I can no longer do in life like play Roller hockey due to a knee problem, I dont bitch and complain telling them that Roller hockey needs to be played at my pace so I can play.  No I accept its not for me and I move on.  I am tired of people using excuses especially about time because they want games or hobbies designed for them instead of finding something they like to do that they can fit into their lives.  

I'm new to MMOs but I thought forced grouping was the right way to do a story. It makes it so the player can face something so epic as the dungeons in this game and feel that epicness in the story. You are truly fighting enemies worth your time because you can't handle it alone.

It's not like FFXIV doesn't have solo level fights too. They have both and forcing players out of their comfort zone while making something epic is great. And, while you might learn your role, learning to work with others, I feel, is half the MMO experience.

So, other MMOs though allow their story content to be soloable? Maybe that's half the problem with MMO stories in the first place. A danger you have to experience in which your player can't fight alone because it's too hard and dangerous.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I ve played plenty of MMOs in all roles to know, that you re better at "knowing" your role because you group up is laughable at best. I used to solo rvr on a Skald back in DAOC, and I used to do as good or better most of the time, because I knew my role quite well. Pve, my wife and I have duoed content in games before that was meant for a group at its level or close to it, and did better then any group. At least I can watch the cutscenes that way, if you play XIV you ll know what I mean.
    Knowing your class vs knowing your role in a group are two totally different things. My best friend was a master at soloing mobs which normally required a small group. But when he joined a raiding guild, it took about a year for him to master his role in that environment. His first raid nearly got him kicked from the guild because he was playing solo in a raid environment: pulling mobs, wiping the raid, resetting mobs etc.
    Yes there is definitely an elite skillet involved in both realms of play. But one does not automatically translate to the other.