Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is FFXIV?

ssaninssanin Member UncommonPosts: 22

Hello everyone,

I am not really what one would call a returning player.  I played FFXIV when it first came out, hated it and left.  I came back when ARR was released, but then didn't have time to play and now, i find some time on my hands.  I am just wondering if FFXIV is still alive and kicking, is it fun?  does it have endgame?  I am coming from World of Warcraft, and the reason i have decided to take a breather from that game is simply because i got sick and tired of Blizzard's blind buff/nerf techniques.

Thank you all in advance,

Me.

Comments

• Froggie85Froggie85 Member UncommonPosts: 221

FF XIV is dead and gone. It's never coming back.

Now A Realm Reborn is fantastic. Full servers, great community, etc.

• thyraventhyraven Member UncommonPosts: 59
    From spring 2014 to spring 2015 it went from 2mill to 4mill players. They must be doing something right
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

pretiest mmo,but remember its the old game that they fixed.

its very grindy,the enemys just stand around and wait to be killed.

i got so pissed when i did missions where you have to call a npc to follow you and delivering kookies and envelopes.

neverwinter is a mush cheaper game and the missions dont feel like they are there just to waist time.

old traditional boring grindy missions that give mmos a bad name.

the dungeons is ok but you have to grind to get to the levels to do them,i feel like after 25$ they are stealing my money and a subscription on top of it,you must be kidding me.

get bloodborne.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    It's popular enough to have it's very own group of haters, so coming from WoW you should feel right at home. :)
    Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Still can't understand why anyone would use "grind" as an argument against any MMO.  It's in ALL MMOs.  How else do you think they keep you playing?
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by Raquis

i got so pissed when i did missions where you have to call a npc to follow you and delivering kookies and envelopes.

neverwinter is a mush cheaper game and the missions dont feel like they are there just to waist time.

the dungeons is ok but you have to grind to get to the levels to do them,i feel like after 25$ they are stealing my money and a subscription on top of it,you must be kidding me.

get bloodborne.

they kinda actully rebuilt the game

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451

XIV is still going solidly.

FFXIV in mmo terms is one of the more casual games on the market in terms of grind and time spent required to master the content. Old content is constantly nerfed more and more to make it where anyone who knows how to play thier class can kill it.

Endgame is pure linear gear treadmill, Aka they copied WoW's model of endgame progression really.

The is it fun is subjective. Almost everyone agrees the begining of the game is slow but picks up and builds on itself you level up. XIV spans the gambit of people saying it its the best mmo they ever played to it is a shallow steaming pile of crap. You will have to try it to find out if it is fun and where you fall on that spectrum. But there are over 600k people paying a monthly sub in a market where the P2P mmo is suppose to be dead and burried if that tells you anything about people liking the game.

Game update wise, it beats out WoW honestly in this area.

In 1 year we got

• 4 Raids
    • 12 Dungeons
    • Minigame hub with numerous activities
    • New Form of PvP
    • New Job
    • About 12hours of new main story
    • Probably 80-100 new quest
    • 5 Instance Boss Fights
    • 3 new tiers of new crafted gear.
    • And a numerous amount of other content additions and changes to the already existing game content.

In my opinion this is a mmo you should try to at least midgame if you like the pve aspect of mmos. Especially since you liked WoW, this game is a WoW clone just with a different spin on theme. While no where near WoW's success. This is one of the most successful mmos on the market currently.

• sagewisdomsagewisdom Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Originally posted by Xatsh

XIV is still going solidly.

FFXIV in mmo terms is one of the more casual games on the market in terms of grind and time spent required to master the content. Old content is constantly nerfed more and more to make it where anyone who knows how to play thier class can kill it.

Endgame is pure linear gear treadmill, Aka they copied WoW's model of endgame progression really.

The is it fun is subjective. Almost everyone agrees the begining of the game is slow but picks up and builds on itself you level up. XIV spans the gambit of people saying it its the best mmo they ever played to it is a shallow steaming pile of crap. You will have to try it to find out if it is fun and where you fall on that spectrum. But there are over 600k people paying a monthly sub in a market where the P2P mmo is suppose to be dead and burried if that tells you anything about people liking the game.

Game update wise, it beats out WoW honestly in this area.

In 1 year we got

• 4 Raids
    • 12 Dungeons
    • Minigame hub with numerous activities
    • New Form of PvP
    • New Job
    • About 12hours of new main story
    • Probably 80-100 new quest
    • 5 Instance Boss Fights
    • 3 new tiers of new crafted gear.
    • And a numerous amount of other content additions and changes to the already existing game content.

In my opinion this is a mmo you should try to at least midgame if you like the pve aspect of mmos. Especially since you liked WoW, this game is a WoW clone just with a different spin on theme. While no where near WoW's success. This is one of the most successful mmos on the market currently.

Not to really disagree but I don't recall First Coil being nerfed at all after the echo buff happened. It's more of the ilevel getting higher and higher that it feels easier. Titan Extreme is probably just as tough in the first round as always if everyone remained on ilvl minimum.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

get bloodborne.

Lol, I don't know why, but when I read this.  I immediately thought ADD! lol.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,007
    Just your standard modern day MMORPG with slower paced combat. I'd reccomend it if thats what your after.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Its a smaller but better and prettier version of WoW with a ten times better community, you'll feel right at home and won't be disappointed. If you love themeparks look no further. (Personally I'm burnt out on them but I won't say that ARR is a bad game at all. I just have to play it in spurts.)

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by thyraven
    From spring 2014 to spring 2015 it went from 2mill to 4mill players. They must be doing something right

It has 500k players, never had 1million let alone 2 or 4 XD  Registered players are not subscribers.

It's a fairly run of the mill mmo but it is very pretty, it does have some problems but so does any mmo. 

I will say that as a WoW player you will find some fairly serious issues that may immediately turn you off the game, I won't bother to list them since you should give it a try and see for yourself.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Raxeon

get bloodborne.

they kinda actully rebuilt the game

Nope,i was there before it even went into Beta,i was likely the biggest FFXIV follower before anyone.I was looking for information way back in the so called Orange engine stages.I played the game for 4 months i had a sort of really good time the first two months,then everything just became same old and boring.I was really turned off by the level 50 content ideas and Item levels really turn me off.

The game is great when compared to say any other game out there but for systems,depth and class  i decided FFXI was a much better choice.

As for players and stuff,i found the game to be fairly busy,guilds/LS were fairly busy but like most games players tend to stick to themselves,that is the problem going the WOWesque design route.WHat i found were certain players would login ONLY to meet up and do the level 50 runs,then most would log out.Sure there will be a few stick around and perhaps help you out on those early dungeons but the overall feeling still feels like WOW or a solo player game.

Over time they have added a more Wow'esque theme to XIV and  XI and to be honest not my cup of tea.

The core design as it started and still is,does not bode well for me because it was a RUSHED design.Classes have LESS of everything when compared to FFXI.It is because of the LESS they also limited how much you could add from other classes like VERY few choices.Just overall less systems and depth in the design to facilitate a rushed product.It is not a big deal when compared to any game aside from FFXI,since those other games are all shallow on rails type designs,so imo your better graphics in FFXIV make it a better enjoyable world to hang out in.

No matter what they did after the initial design, nothing could change the game at all,really they just added some fixes and made the game more user friendly but the core design is still the same.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by scorpex-x

It has 500k players, never had 1million let alone 2 or 4 XD  Registered players are not subscribers.

The game sold 2 million copies from Spring 2014 to Spring 2015, they must be doing something right. 4 million copies sold is already better than many single player games. Although single player games don't get additional revenue from 600k+ subs.

No, the figure does not include free trials.

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

The game sold 2 million copies from Spring 2014 to Spring 2015, they must be doing something right.

I wouldnt argue with Scorpex-x, he's going to pull up an old article that has no relevancy to today's numbers and call it fact.

Originally posted by vandal5627

The game sold 2 million copies from Spring 2014 to Spring 2015, they must be doing something right.

I wouldnt argue with Scorpex-x, he's going to pull up an old article that has no relevancy to today's numbers and call it fact.

Oh, but that's the best part: calling him out on his BS.

True.  :)

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

As opposed to a new article to back up that 4 million claim?  There isn't any.

He's actually right.  The latest info is 2.5 registered users, regardless if it's old or not.

Originally posted by observer

He's actually right.  The latest info is 2.5 registered users, regardless if it's old or not.

LMAO no he is not and noone knows, bringing up an old article doesnt make it any right than anyone else because NOONE knows.  If you don't know for sure, don't throw out numbers out of your ****.  The high or the low number, they're both wrong because they have no idea what the true number is.

And get your facts straight, they have over 4 million registered users presently.

Originally posted by observer

Well that was a big claim you made there.

http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/053fde1539272640c4e2b362042d0d2686f228b1

Next time get your facts straight before spreading misinformation.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by sagewisdom

Not to really disagree but I don't recall First Coil being nerfed at all after the echo buff happened. It's more of the ilevel getting higher and higher that it feels easier. Titan Extreme is probably just as tough in the first round as always if everyone remained on ilvl minimum.

They changed some mechanics to make it a bit easier.  

• In Turns 1 and 2 High Voltage can be Esuna'd off whereas before it could not.
    • In Turn 4 the damage reflection to casters was reduced a bit.
    But yeah, mostly Echo and higher item levels has what has allowed people to power through the earlier turns, not to mention that people completely bypass the Allagan Rot in Turn 2.
    Originally posted by nbtscan
    Originally posted by sagewisdom

They changed some mechanics to make it a bit easier.  

• In Turns 1 and 2 High Voltage can be Esuna'd off whereas before it could not.
    • In Turn 4 the damage reflection to casters was reduced a bit.
    But yeah, mostly Echo and higher item levels has what has allowed people to power through the earlier turns, not to mention that people completely bypass the Allagan Rot in Turn 2.

I think they also nerfed high voltage to be shorter as well as a chance of not even being paralyzed as well.

You didn't call me on anything, I said registered users are not subscribers and that the game had never seen anywhere near 1 million subscribers.  I am correct, you know I am and as such you didn't argue the point.  You just made a different one.

Square recently responded to a games news site about this and responded with :

"Square Enix tells MCV that the actual number of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn paying subscribers sits at 500,000, with over 2.5m registered users." January 5th 2015 at 2:44AM GMT

If you want to argue sales, well ok.   A few things, 

1st. total sales of the game combined V1 and ARR sales together, so total sales are no impressing me that much.

2nd. The game is selling for almost nothing, and has done since launch.   With regular half price sales of $10 on steam, it's basically selling for bargain bin prices so lets not show off about sales figures too much.  The game is selling at a loss and always has.

3rd. Those are sales numbers for 3 regions when most games MMO sales figures are for NA and EU alone.

4th. A game like GW2 sold 3.5 million copies at full price in one year for North America and Europe alone.

As I said, it's a run of the mill title.  It has below average subscriber numbers and average sales numbers for a very cheap title, it is also a game where the publishers use massive amounts of padding and try to confuse people with misleading numbers.  You know this as well as I do, the difference is that you try to make the game look better by using these padded and misleading numbers.  I just tell it like it is.

I'm not impressed with fake numbers to try impress people for this game anymore than I am on WoW when they state they had 100 million "players", the difference is that Blizzard don't use those numbers to try to confuse people into thinking they actually have 100 million subscribers.  Square and some of its fans do.

You didn't call me on anything, I said registered users are not subscribers and that the game had never seen anywhere near 1 million subscribers.  I am correct, you know I am and as such you didn't argue the point.  You just made a different one.

Square recently responded to a games news site about this and responded with :

"Square Enix tells MCV that the actual number of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn paying subscribers sits at 500,000, with over 2.5m registered users." January 5th 2015 at 2:44AM GMT

If you want to argue sales, well ok.   A few things, 

1st. total sales of the game combined V1 and ARR sales together, so total sales are no impressing me that much.

2nd. The game is selling for almost nothing, and has done since launch.   With regular half price sales of $10 on steam, it's basically selling for bargain bin prices so lets not show off about sales figures too much.  The game is selling at a loss and always has.

3rd. Those are sales numbers for 3 regions when most games MMO sales figures are for NA and EU alone.

4th. A game like GW2 sold 3.5 million copies at full price in one year for North America and Europe alone.

As I said, it's a run of the mill title.  It has below average subscriber numbers and average sales numbers for a very cheap title, it is also a game where the publishers use massive amounts of padding and try to confuse people with misleading numbers.  You know this as well as I do, the difference is that you try to make the game look better by using these padded and misleading numbers.  I just tell it like it is.

I'm not impressed with fake numbers to try impress people for this game anymore than I am on WoW when they state they had 100 million "players", the difference is that Blizzard don't use those numbers to try to confuse people into thinking they actually have 100 million subscribers.  Square and some of its fans do.

LMAO can't say I didn't see this coming.

Originally posted by drivendawn

Well now they have sold over 4 million actually and we have no idea about the sub numbers. The underlined is pure speculation and IMO bad speculation at that.

Since Square are so untrustworthy with their figures and have been proven to be many times I'll wait and see on that 4 million figure (they will never say), again it says "accounts".  Free trial players make "accounts", beta players made "accounts".

Accounts do not mean subscribers, nor do they mean sales.  If you say otherwise show me on that page where it says so with a little *

When a company refuses to use specific terms like sales or subscribers it's because they are trying to fool you.

I say it has below average subscriber numbers because ESO peaked at 750k subscribers and was considered a failure, FFXIV never even got to that number at it's peak.