Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA shutting down more games

rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Once again, four more mmos/online games dying at the hand of EA. This time the victims are Battlefield Heroes, Battlefield play4free, Fifa World, and Need for Speed World.

The funny thing is that while they are announcing these shut downs they also add in the same post that Swtor is doing very well. I just find that funny.... 

Im still very skeptical about playing Swtor again with EA managing it.

http://www.mmobomb.com/news/ea-announces-closure-4-games-praising-swtor/

EDIT: didnt see anyone talking about it so i thought i'd post it here.

Comments

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

EA has not had any games of interest to me in several years.

I doubt I'll start playing their games any time soon.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• DaveyColeDaveyCole Member Posts: 85
    Wait...these were games?
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Sad to hear.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

In the end, all games will sunset = 

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I don't know the internal situation, if the games aren't doing well, there could be a very legitimate reason for doing house cleaning.

I self identify as a monkey.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by mgilbrtsn
    I don't know the internal situation, if the games aren't doing well, there could be a very legitimate reason for doing house cleaning.

indeed, but EA is infamous for shutting down games en masse and closing companies. I personally dont trust them with mmos and other online games.

• RanyrRanyr Member UncommonPosts: 212
    SWTOR still draws hundreds of millions, it'll be fine.
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    What?!  EA is shutting down a bunch of games I've never heard of?  HOW CAN THIS BE!
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

I gave EA the middle finger when they shut down battlefield 2142 servers. That is the most balanced battlefield game they ever made. Then they turn around and turn new battlefield games into CoD knock offs.

Done with EA.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Ok.. before anyone make this sound like a big deal.....

BF:Heroes was a broken mess of a browser game in a cartoon skin

BF2P was the same but in a more realistic skin...

FIFA World was a P2W Fifa light with weird controlls (most likley a mobile port)

Need for Speed:World was a poorly managed mess of a game that for a very long time was so P2W that it was not funny and used wet paper as a anti-cheat system... (nothing kill a racing game as much as when there is a insta-finish cheat for it)

So i am not surprised that these games did not pass the grade in these somewhat tougher times. Most of the got 3-5 years (fifa got one but it was a blatant cash grab so who cares)

This is not EA being evil... this is EA spring cleaning... Heck NFS:W has had something close to 4 different "dev" studios working on it and have been in life-support mode for over a year...

This have been a good conversation

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    Originally posted by tawess

Ok.. before anyone make this sound like a big deal.....

BF:Heroes was a broken mess of a browser game in a cartoon skin

BF2P was the same but in a more realistic skin...

FIFA World was a P2W Fifa light with weird controlls (most likley a mobile port)

Need for Speed:World was a poorly managed mess of a game that for a very long time was so P2W that it was not funny and used wet paper as a anti-cheat system... (nothing kill a racing game as much as when there is a insta-finish cheat for it)

So i am not surprised that these games did not pass the grade in these somewhat tougher times. Most of the got 3-5 years (fifa got one but it was a blatant cash grab so who cares)

This is not EA being evil... this is EA spring cleaning... Heck NFS:W has had something close to 4 different "dev" studios working on it and have been in life-support mode for over a year...

i agree about need for speed world, it should have been so much more than it was.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I have not bought a single EA game (or Ubisoft) since they forced another online service upon me - i accept "Steam" but i do not want more of that crap.
    On top their games are not good anymore anyway and if they would be good i would play them long term so shutting down their servers is inacceptable to me.

No money no more from me...

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    This will be 6 years for BF:Heros. This is a reasonable run for a game. It has not had active updates in a long time (years), so it is not surprising that it is no longer popular. The other games were also part of the Play4Free initiative, which has not really been supported in years. This is just old games being phased out.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Their all the same games anyways. Play Battlefield, play Plans Vs Zombies, play Titanfall same game pretty much.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• moraelinmoraelin Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Not sure if anyone remembers but EA sunsetted The Sims Online which was extremely popular at the time. As far as I'm concerned EA and NCSoft (City of Heroes) should go bowling together on a regular basis. Business decisions will outweigh customer feedback and satisfaction every time with both of these companies. So if you get attached to one of their games prepare to walk on eggshells until it dies.
  • VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    And here I am on the verge of resubbing to swtor. You know what?

SUPPORT GOOD GAMES, NO MATTER THE PUB!

Thank you.

Fixed

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    Yeah ok Velo. Swtor is more than a good game so I have absolutely no qualms and regrets supporting it. Plus, even more importantly(more than you know), I CONNECTED with it. And...it feels good.

But perhaps they shouldn't have cut nfsw, it seems it was loved and popular. And supposedly they actually got anti cheat prot in the last few months.

The others...meh.

Notice how you got defensive even though I mentioned no games by name, nor did I direct the correction specifically at you...

Funny, that.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• The_WickedThe_Wicked Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Not a big fan of EA but i loved Warhammer Online. Wish they didn't mess that up. :(
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

SWTOR still draws a robust crowd of players, it's in good shape.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    NO game is a "victim". They were made to make money...if they fail to do that they are useless to  the company that spent money to create them and should be removed.
  • KayydKayyd Member UncommonPosts: 129
    It makes you wonder if there isn't something larger happening in economies around the world that is forcing people to be more frugal with their gaming dollars.
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid

Once again, four more mmos/online games dying at the hand of EA. This time the victims are Battlefield Heroes, Battlefield play4free, Fifa World, and Need for Speed World.

The funny thing is that while they are announcing these shut downs they also add in the same post that Swtor is doing very well. I just find that funny.... 

Im still very skeptical about playing Swtor again with EA managing it.

http://www.mmobomb.com/news/ea-announces-closure-4-games-praising-swtor/

EDIT: didnt see anyone talking about it so i thought i'd post it here.

Swtor could have been a lot better if they did not build their game on a bad mmo engine and also had plans to make an actual mmo from the start.

most of their development went into lvling 1-50. They had a weak space tube shooter, and a very limited everything else with their class story and side quests.

they did the least mmo part of their game well enough in regards to also being a Star Wars game.

any developer given the free reigns to make an actual star wars  mmo with story can at least envision a better version than swtor.

i would say the companion system is probably the only unique thing that bw would do that others wouldn't bother with. While companions are great, I would trade them for a better mmo.

So point being, bw messed up swtor as an mmo to keep $15 a month quality of an mmo and the standards are pretty as well, since they are doing well enough. But if they get shut down it would be their own fault and not ea's. Ea has better engines than the poorly modded hero engine.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554

The only surprising one is Fifa world, I definitely would think that would have an audience.  Other than that BFH and BFP4F are both ancient and not many people play them anymore...its not like UO where players will stick with the game for decades...lol.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Originally posted by Kayyd
    It makes you wonder if there isn't something larger happening in economies around the world that is forcing people to be more frugal with their gaming dollars.

yeah its because gamers are spotting the shit games before spending too much cash on them so they can wither and die

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    EA shut down 4 games no one ever heard about and probably that one one plays. Call the care bear squad. Will read topic again. 11/10.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.