Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar: The Daily Quest - Will You Play WildStar if it goes F2P/B2P?

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

That's the big question, right? With news coming in today that Australian retailers are being asked to pull WildStar from their shelves, something which similar preceded the announcement of ESO's Tamriel Unlimited, it seems a freemium version of WildStar is en route.

Me? I'm still playing WS, not as often as I once was at launch, but it's in my current rotation. To me, it's a fun and unique take on the WoW formula (unique in its setting and combat mechanics).  But I completely understand why many folks don't see the need or desire to keep paying a subscription for WildStar.  

Yet the game has come a long way since launch in both content and polish, and frankly, it's worth a second look for fans of these kinds of theme park MMOs.  If there's one thing WS needs these days, its players. Even on just a couple of mega-servers, the leveling zones are emptier than they should be.  With a lower barrier to entry, I have little doubt that WS will see the same sort of resurgence ESO is seeing and that other games who made the change to F2P have seen.

WildStar is fun. And many times here I've seen people say they'd gladly play it if it didn't need a subscription. What about you then? Would you give Nexus another visit?

While you're mulling over your decision, check out the new mounts coming to WildStar. These are fresh off the PTS!

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I might be willing to give it a second shot for free if theres a week or so when I'm done with the games i have and nothing new releases.

Those weeks come pretty often.

• PiscorePiscore Member UncommonPosts: 263
    yes and maybe buy from one web like g2a or whatever at 20$ more or less

l2p

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Buy? Probably not. F2P, sure.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

I bought the game at launch because i really wanted to play it. However, the combat and the heavily restricted classes completely put me down. I would definitely give it another shot if it drops the sub, but it would have to be using Xpadder and a gamepad. I cannot stand WS combat with a mouse. 

That being said, if they decide to drop the sub, i hope it adopts the same model as GW2. They are both under the same parent company so they are aware of how well its worked for ANET. I hope it doesnt go F2P, If the subscription becomes optional, keep the box price. A trial period should be more than enough to try the game before buying.

EDIT: If they insist on making it F2P then follow Aion's model without restrictions. If they go the Swtor way the game will probably shut down. Swtor strived with that anti consumer model because of Star Wars fans.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I might check it out at some point if it goes F2P. B2P is less likely, unless I happen to catch it on a Steam deal or some other major discount.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    B2P? Definitely not.  F2P, possibly.  I was never interested in WS's art style or story, and the only thing i would be interested in, is their combat system.
  • SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    No.
  • EQBallzzEQBallzz Member UncommonPosts: 229
    nope.
  • EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879
    F2p yeah i will give it a shot depending on the cash shop. i thought the game was alright in beta with some interesting mechanics but didn't think it was worth buying or the subscription.
  • monster8memonster8me Member UncommonPosts: 27
    ive never tried it i think ill go check it out with a trial and see how it goes
  • KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Probably not. The sub had nothing to do with why i stopped playing in the first place.
  • Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    No. I did not enjoy the combat mechanics when I tried the game.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    I guess I will flip a coin between Wildstar or ESO.  That's assuming I feel like flipping a coin.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• dontfarmmebrodontfarmmebro Member Posts: 3
    I would play it again if it were f2p. as long as it doesn't have huge restrictions like Swtor does that make f2p a miserable experience.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I got back into it the other day and talked my son into it as well. We are having a great time!

Yes of course I will play any game that goes B2P that I already own, especially something like this. If I hadn't purchased or played the game prior to this and it went B2P I'm not sure if I would or not. I would definitely wait for the population to increase. There is enough to get by right now, but more would be better of course.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I think it comes down to how they do F2P.  If they try crap like Bioware did and restrict action bars or give you crazy-low inventory space like AoC did, they wont get me back to try out the changes.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

No.

I realised during the open beta that I simply did not enjoy the frenetic pace of the game. I also realised that I should stick to games that have a more realistic art style (e.g. TSW and ESO). There's a reason I never played WoW...

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    No.  Because payment model has nothing to do with me not playing currently.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Didn't really enjoy any of the classes or the aesthetics of the player characters.  One of the main reasons I quit WoW -- besides them never updating when compared to other games -- was how bad the new Blood Elf Models looked when new models were turned on, and how bad every other race looked when it was turned off.  Just don't feel invested in the characters anymore.  The concept and the story itself were interesting, as I enjoy sci fi as well as fantasy.

If they added a sort of Chronomage or something that using technology to manipulate time, or some sort of Samurai blademaster, then I might try those.

As a whole, this was a game whereby the game itself -- as well as its mechanics -- called for it to be a B2P or F2P title at launch.  The perception of it pandering to "Hardcore raiders" when that community is so small and fickle (and with most claiming they are hardcore, but when push comes to shove they stop due to it being too irritating to proceed) was also a major factor in it.  When speaking of it's rival in release Elder Scrolls, that was a game that had mechanics that might've suited a P2P market, but the franchise itself caused enough name recognition and precedence whereby people expected it to become B2P out of the gates and gave it flak for not being so.

Not to mention that FFXIV took the lionshare of the people who preferred the P2P market and already didn't belong to WoW.  It also had precedence with a previous title in the franchise having a P2P presence for well over ten years without budging.  The plot twists in 2.5 storyline were pretty much Game of Thrones worthy (approximately 90 minutes of cutscenes for an ending with large scale, epic fights).

Honestly, it's hard to beat out an established franchise with rabid fans willing to pay 20 months for no significant patch content, as well as a game that's essentially a JRPG with all the storyline and plot twists you would expect from such.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    probably not.. i want to like the game because i think it looks awesome but that combat system just dont work for me.. 

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

yes ......atm isnot worth the sub for me , and isnt because content or gameplay , for me its all about the population....if it goes b2p i will play it , and even buy something  (costumes or mounts) but the game nees to have a "normal" population , because at the moment there 2 servers but the pvp one is empty.

With B2p the population could skyrocket (recent example : ESO )  :D

• brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975
    If it goes B2P I'll pick it up. I'm done with mandatory subscription games, and just want to play when I have time and not feel like I'm wasting monthly fees. That and I play 3-4 MMOs at any given time.
  • XxeroxXxerox Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Only if its free. Im not giving any money for any game any time soon, and i am definetly not giving money to a game that went from P2P to F2P.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    I would give it an other go weather it goes B2P or F2P. But I fear it'll go the same way as ESO on my system - it's installed, I play it for a couple of days and after a week I  barely touch it...
  • XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359

I really enjoyed healing in BG's as a Medic in Wildstar.   If the game went B2P or F2P, I'd definitely put it back in my rotation.