Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This site needs writers that know what an MMO is.

madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/9594/5-Awesome-BuytoPlay-MMOs.html#post

Destiny and The Crew are NOT MMO's.

Bungie themselves have weighed in on this, just like Arenanet did with Guild Wars. But some people are so out of the hobby/gaming they just cant fathom what MMO means.

"Not at all. Do you guys ever get tired of us insisting it's not an MMO? Debate about this game is always fun, and we welcome it," Bungie said

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/is-destiny-an-mmo-bungie-weighs-in/1100-6416234/

Comments

• BascolaBascola Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Well, MMORGPS are declining so they need to add advertisement revenue from other genres. They can't rename the site...
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by Bascola
    Well, MMORGPS are declining so they need to add advertisement revenue from other genres. They can't rename the site...

And I have said multiple times I have no problem with that. But they made a list of 5 mmos that are buy to play. Out of that list of 5, only 3 are MMO's. 

I would gladly read articles, and I have, about non mmo games on this site. Such as Path of Exile which I enjoy very much. But I don't want to eagerly look at an article about MMO's only to find standard multiplayer games in there. If its labeled MMO I want an MMO!

You don't go out asking for apples and settle with an egg do ya? Its not even the same damn thing. Both are edible and it ends there.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

MMO (massively multiplayer online) games have kind of stretched the massively a lot.  At one point massively was thought to be 1000+ players on a server simultaneously.  Now I would say 100+ is considers massively, although that number is largely arbitrary.

now the MMORPG (massively multiplayer online role playing game) is a horse of a different color.  This has been stretched so far now that it's beyond the point of absurdity.  Fewer and fewer games dubbed MMORPG's have RPG elements to them.  Which is why many games have droped the RPG, and just gone with MMO.

• turinmacleodturinmacleod Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 166

Perhaps this site could do with more open-minded fans who are willing to expand their gaming horizons? No?

T

• Xav_MMOXav_MMO Member UncommonPosts: 49

They have repeatedly stated that they are covering more than just MMOs. In the years since MMORPG.com went live, the clear-cut distinctions blurred to the point that to cover nothing but PURE MMOs would be incredibly limiting.

So instead they have broadened their approach to covering games with a very high multi-player dimension and/or a large RPG dimension. And sometimes, they even go out on a limb to highlight some things that maybe purists wouldn't have known about otherwise - which personally, I applaud.

And like another has said, they can't just rename the site.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Originally posted by madazz
    Originally posted by Bascola

And I have said multiple times I have no problem with that. But they made a list of 5 mmos that are buy to play. Out of that list of 5, only 3 are MMORPGs's. 

I would gladly read articles, and I have, about non mmo games on this site. Such as Path of Exile which I enjoy very much. But I don't want to eagerly look at an article about MMO's only to find standard multiplayer games in there. If its labeled MMO I want an MMO!

You don't go out asking for apples and settle with an egg do ya? Its not even the same damn thing. Both are edible and it ends there.

Fixed it for you

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Mmo= massive multiplayer online. What part of Destiny or The Crew not massive? Not multiplayer? Not online? The terns used continue to evolve. There is no set size to determine what is massive, so many online games are now mmo's, whether we as players agree or not. Online games now need proper suffix's to identify the game, mmofps, mmosprpg, mmorpg. Etc etc.
    What this site is doing is fine by me and I support the broader use of mmo for this site. For we have fewer sites to browse these days.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    People need to start using the "Search" field instead of opening the 100th discussion thread about something that's already been explained to death.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by VonTakala

The biggest problem facing MMO gaming is that there isn't a single one of any kind being done by corporations anywhere currently.... you have to look to independent or non-profit or emulators, and even discussing or mentioning this (especially emulators) will get you banned almost immediately on every gaming site out there.

That isn't exactly true. Microsoft is funding Undead labs and they are making an MMO (just known as Class 4 right now). But you are right, it seems like mostly Korean and Chinese devs even bother to risk making MMOs at the moment, the rest of ha games are either poorly funded indie games or kickstarters.

Of course just one of those indie games needs to be good enough to make it big and the western publishers would be all in again but at the moment things could look better. We sure could use a commercially succesful new game that rakes in enough money for publishers to invest in things again.

On the plus side does this mean that the smaller companies who actually makes different games are managed by actual gamers who makes the decisions instead of corporate weasels who only want a quick profit so we might get a lot of innovation again instead of just people copy what has laready been done.

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by turinmacleod

Perhaps this site could do with more open-minded fans who are willing to expand their gaming horizons? No?

T

Why would anyone who wanted news on a variety of genres ever use this site? especially when alternatives like Ten Ton Hammer or Gamebreaker, both of which cater specifically to a variety of genres, offer superior content on a daily basis.

Half of the "writers" here are barely able to form coherent paragraphs or utilize a spellchecker. There is so much content here that gets pushed to the front page without ever being looked at by an editor that it is absolutely disgusting. Nevermind the constant, consistent errors in grammar and sentence structure, spelling, etc...

If I wanted to see amateur writers trying to make a name for themselves I would visit any of the thousands of blogs that are available to do so.

Arrogance, such as your statement above, isn't attractive and doesn't entice people to want to visit the site or read the articles posted here.

When MMORPG.com first hit the scene it was a respectable site, with quality editors/writers and content that was exclusive. Those days are long behind us now, and the site has become a mockery of what it once was. A continuous downward spiral over the years has degraded the level of quality here dramatically, and biased moderators with zero qualifications in community management have helped drive even more people away from posting or visiting.

Why would I go out for a burger, when I could comfortably sit at home and eat prime-rib?

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I find the changes around here to be a pain as well. We have been told the new web page is coming and my hope is things as better labeled. As for yelling what is and is not an MMO, theys subjective. Now if the writer and labeled Destiny a MMOrpg. I would have agreed with you.
  • Zontas_HierospiritZontas_Hierospirit Member UncommonPosts: 57

I don't have a problem with MMORPG.com doing what they want to bring to us in their excitement, or doing what they need to do to survive, except when they call us MMORPG players the South Park MMORPG Guy. That's when I take a stand and have to say no.

But if they want to cover games like Pillars of Eternity or whatever hot new game is out, I don't care. I like this website. I visit at least once a month, and if I'm really into it, once a week, to try and put the site back in the right direction, and the genre as well.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/9594/5-Awesome-BuytoPlay-MMOs.html#post

Bungie themselves have weighed in on this, just like Arenanet did with Guild Wars. But some people are so out of the hobby/gaming they just cant fathom what MMO means.

"Not at all. Do you guys ever get tired of us insisting it's not an MMO? Debate about this game is always fun, and we welcome it," Bungie said

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/is-destiny-an-mmo-bungie-weighs-in/1100-6416234/

You are losing too much sweat over nothing. I dont think they (Crew and Destiny) are mmos either, but my word is not going to change other people's opinions or views, and i dont plan to waste time trying to change anyone. If i had a cent for every thread on this forums about X is not an mmo id be rich.

Go with the flow and know that everyone has a different opinion from yours.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

"It's not a MMORPG" is just marketing anyways.

Neither Guild Wars not Destiny or The Crew have any real differences from some games nobody has a problem calling "MMORPG".

If you want to use "open world" as an example, i point out games like UO, where everything is (was?) open. How about saying WoW is not an MMO because all the end game content is in instanced areas? Games like Guild Wars do go a step further, sure, but drawing the border there is just an arbitrary decision.

Either an MMO needs a fully open, persistent world without any instances, or everything that at least features a small open and persistent part is an MMO.

Heck, you could argue that even different servers mean that it is not a fully open, persistent world, so only single server games like EVE qualify.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

But some people are so out of the hobby/gaming they just cant fathom what MMO means.

What if I was to suggest to you that the forum crowd really isn't the target audience for many of these articles? 

I'd be willing to bet that the team at MMORPG.com is a bit more in touch with their audience and the current state of gaming than you think. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Haha, you actually made a thread about this?  It seems it must have really annoyed you.

@OP, Let's hear your definition of an MMO.  You'll get dozens of different replies as to what an MMO truly is.  The fact is, there isn't an official definition (wikipedia & online dictionaries don't count), and there never will be.

An MMO is composed of many different concepts and protocols, which is ever-changing.

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030

You know that article is advertising right?   A lot of the articles are pure paid for work.

Also the website has forums for games that pay them too, they have sub forums for games like league of angels which is a browser game.  Yet they don't have forums for other games like warframe, yet they do for destiny.

It's about the money.

• NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287
    Originally posted by lugal
    Mmo= massive multiplayer online. What part of Destiny or The Crew not massive? Not multiplayer? Not online? The terns used continue to evolve. There is no set size to determine what is massive, so many online games are now mmo's, whether we as players agree or not. Online games now need proper suffix's to identify the game, mmofps, mmosprpg, mmorpg. Etc etc.
    What this site is doing is fine by me and I support the broader use of mmo for this site. For we have fewer sites to browse these days.

MassiveLY. Not just massive.

It has nothing to do with the size of the game - massive. It is to do with number of people playing together. Not just 'multiplayer'. Not 'Ampley Multiplayer'. Nor even 'Prodigiously Multiplayer'. 'MASSIVELY Multiplayer'.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Stizzled

The Crew sure feels like an MMO to me. Everywhere I go, no matter the time of day, there's always other players around me. Sure, there can only be 7 other players in my session at any given time, but when you consider that the players in my session change as I drive around and new players come within proximity to me it's not so bad.

I don't need to see 100 people standing around in a main city to feel like I'm playing an MMO, just being able to interact with new and different people across an open world is good enough for me. I think that's good enough to be listed in the article your so angry about.

Hey man that's awesome, if it's good enough for you that's all that matters. The term MMORPG however, or the shortened easier on the tongue term MMO, was coined for a particular type of video game that meets a basic rough criteria. 

It's really not a huge task to figure it out; we should all know better after all of these years.

If we're going to call every game that has a lot of people playing an MMO, why not just classify every successful multiplayer video game as an MMO? Why even have classification at all? 

Things have deteriorated to the point where we might as well just have two genres: single player and MMO. Fucking brilliant.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

So not content with having dropped a dictionary on your foot in the 5 B2P MMO thread you have started a new one.

There are a number of reasons that developers do not want to call their games mmos:

• the label itself has a bad rep
    • meaningless definition
    • if they say it is an mmo then some people will expect certain elements and others will expect certain other elements.This ties developers hands.. Their game is whatever their game is.

Zenimax, for example, said exactly the same thing about TESO: it's not an mmo.

An example: someone has just said that Destiny is not an mmo because it doesn't have voice chat. OK they haven't kept up with developments but - by that definition - UO, AC, EQ1, EQ2, DAoC, FFx, LotR and others are not "mmos".

And if Bungie had called Destiny an mmo and that person had bought the game they would have expected Destiny to have voice chat.  Even though there is a long history of mmos not having voice chat!

Indeed - based on history - not having voice chat makes a game a candidate for being an mmo!

This is why developers don't want to pigeon hole their games. If someone asks Bungie whether Destiny is a co-op game I am pretty sure they will have the same answer; ditto is it a first person shooter etc. etc. Someone somewhere will have a mental picture of what such and such a game is and if a developer says it is X  people will have an expectation. So Destiny is Destiny. WoW is WoW. TESO is TESO and so on. By avoiding labels developers minimise the risk of disappointing people. They minimise the charge that they "misrepresented" the product. People might be disappointed but they can't say it should have had X because the developers called it so and so.

Clear?

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

T

image  100%

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• DevilSephDevilSeph Member UncommonPosts: 147

It was and advert to gw2 they didn't care about the rest 4 games.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Roin

T

image  100%

Absolutely but that doesn't mean we have any need to start calling bananas pineapples.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    I find the changes around here to be a pain as well. We have been told the new web page is coming and my hope is things as better labeled. As for yelling what is and is not an MMO, theys subjective. Now if the writer and labeled Destiny a MMOrpg. I would have agreed with you.

They've been talking about this elusive "new website" for so long now that one starts to wonder about how long this endeavour actually takes them. Usually professionals set up a proper site within a few weeks.

Comments/Quotes not working > "new website will fix it"

Links not working > "new website will fix it"

Mainpage cluttered  > "new website will fix it"

Gamelist a mess > "new website will fix it"

lousy site performance  > "new website will fix it"

...                        > "new website will fix it"

You get the idea. The new website has become a running gag by now.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Yes...YES!

Because THIS IS WHAT IS IMPORTANT!

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!