Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    You're going about this all wrong.  A motherboard should never be considered in isolation without regard to what else is in the system.  What are you trying to do, anyway?  If you've got the budget to spend $170 on a motherboard for a gaming system, you should probably be going Intel for the CPU.
  • ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    If you've got the budget to spend $170 on a motherboard for a gaming system, you should probably be going Intel for the CPU.

My thought exactly.

• DeathreatDeathreat Member UncommonPosts: 143

Id rather save $100+/- on a CPU that performs with an i7 then get a i5 and crappier mainboard. Your posts are always useles. Its called budget gaming, and mbs are important for OC'ing, which the CPU i specified is for.

Never coming to this part of the forum again because of Quizzical ruining every thread I post.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by Deathreat

Id rather save $100+/- on a CPU that performs with an i7 then get a i5 and crappier mainboard. Your posts are always useles. Its called budget gaming, and mbs are important for OC'ing, which the CPU i specified is for.

Never coming to this part of the forum again because of Quizzical ruining every thread I post.

To be fair, Quizzical is right.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

The one that's cheaper is better because it's more economical solution. Spending 175$ on a motherboard is not worth the price, rather buy a bit cheaper mobo and invest on good cooling.

PS. Quizzical is right

Ok so after all your guys input and hating on the AMD decided to go with unlocked i5, Asus Z97-A, even though the 8350 is a great processor.

What coolers do you suggest for a slight overclock?

This any good? Doubt it, used to Corsair AIO's.

http://www.newegg.co...8-020-_-Product

Or should I spend the extra like 50 bucks for a bigger Noctua or Corsair AIO.

No Corsair AIO hate please, been using one on a Core 2 Duo system for 10 years and never had a problem overclocked from 3.0 to 3.6 stable for 10 years. Never leaked.

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719

For 10 years, eh ?

The first corsair water cooling AIO system was released in june 2009, which was 6 years ago, so i'm wondering how have you been using one for 10 years ?

The first AIO system as we know it from asetek was in prototype stage in 2006 (9 years ago), so it's physically impossible to have been in a possession of one 10 years ago, ...

On another note, for intel i5/i7 processors, the current best performing cooling is Cooler Master Nepton 280L :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103198

It's only a little bit better than Corsair H110i GT :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181088

Cooler master has a quieter pump than the Corsair, and that's pretty much the only advantage on top of the 0.5-1  degrees (celsius) temperature difference. And the cooler master might be cheaper, and the Corsair is out of stock on newegg atm.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Ruining? How is help ruining? You asked for help and he is offering it. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Given your crappy attitude on display here, it seems we owe Quiz a big thanks.  image

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

You should never have to spend more than $120 on a decent budget gaming MoBo. Ever.

Not sure why you are hellbent on Asus, but here you go:

ASUS M5A99FX $120

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131851

Joined - July 2004

You guys missed the other 3 threads where all he did was talk down to me and bash everything I said.

Let's back up a bit.  What are you trying to do?  Are you trying to build a system that will play games well?  Do you have other, non-gaming needs that can drive hardware requirements?  Do you want to overclock because you think overclocking is fun in itself, or do you just want good performance for a good price and see overclocking as one possible way to get it?

And what's your budget, anyway?  Picking parts in isolation without considering whether to put more money over here and less over there is entirely the wrong way to do things unless you're not meaningfully limited by budget at all.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    You guys missed the other 3 threads where all he did was talk down to me and bash everything I said.

If you're talking about "Opinions on this GPU" and the Asus R9 thread, I read those this morning before I made my first response to this thread.

In one case Quiz was making the point that you could buy a new piece of hardware @ Newegg for a similar price you were about to pay used.

Look at it in a different perspective:  He didn't even disagree with you.  He went bargain hunting for you and found you a great price on the unit you were asking about.

In the other case, you were buying stuff from Best Buy due to having a $50 gift card, and he was telling you to go with Newegg anyway, and gave examples as to why.  And he's right by any measure.  You can count on AT LEAST a 25% bang for the buck markup on any card Best Buy has compared to a place like Newegg.  And Newegg's return policies are better than Best Buys.  Yep, I said it.  Better.  Been a customer of both for over 10 years.

Take that 50 bucks and buy some CD's.

If Quiz just bounced into the thread and said, "That's a stupid idea, you're a moron. Peace out.", I'd agree with you.  But he disagreed with you, then went shopping for you.  And IMO, he was right every time.

I already have RAM, 650 Watt PSU from EVGA, HDDS, SSD, just need CPU and MB to upgrade too, want best gaming bang for buck.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

There are a number of sites that review, compare and evaluate motherboards etc. Usually update them monthly as well. Check Tom's Hardware, Anandtech as a minimum.

In isolation it is actually very difficult to answer such questions. So - maybe - a m/b and "simple" $70 Pentium (yes Pentium) that can be updated in 12 months to "todays" cutting edge but drop dead expensive cpu might be the way to go say. (Today's Pentiums are all about raw power).

I already have RAM, 650 Watt PSU from EVGA, HDDS, SSD, just need CPU and MB to upgrade too, want best gaming bang for buck.

Assuming you've got a big enough budget for a discrete video card to make sense, then the usual options are:

1)  an APU with the graphics disabled, available cheap:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2285157

2)  an FX-6300 with a 970 motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2285145

3)  a Core i5-4690K with a Z97 motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2297105

4)  a Core i7-4790K with a Z97 motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2255159

You seem interested in overclocking, so all of those motherboards except the first should be able to handle a decent overclock.

I don't recommend option (1) that often, as for a budget small enough for it to make sense, you're not going to fit a very good video card and might as well just go with integrated graphics.  You don't seem to be in that boat, though.

For (2), I sometimes recommend a different AMD CPU, depending on prices that day.  For example, I've recommended an FX-6350 over the 6300 when they were the same price, or an FX-8320 when it was only $10 more.  But I sure wouldn't pay an extra $40 for the FX-8320 over the 6300, which is the price difference today.

For (3), if you know that you're never going to overclock, you can save some money and get a Core i5-4690 (non-K) and an H97 motherboard instead.  That doesn't seem like the right option for you, though.

The motherboard in (4) can handle a considerable overclock, but the CPU probably can't.  The idea of a Core i7-4790K is that Intel cherry-picks dies that will overclock well and essentially factory overclocks them for you.  It's the same die as the Core i5, but with a considerable difference in clock speeds.  It's hardly guaranteed that a Core i5-4690K can hit the 4.4 GHz stock turbo of a 4790K without needing exotic cooling or so much voltage that you're a serious risk to damage the CPU.

Going from option 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 is increasing performance, but also increasing price.  What's right for you depends on how much you're willing to pay.  If you think (1) is too expensive or are willing to pay a lot more than it costs for (4), there are some other, more extremal options that I didn't list.  Do note that while an FX-6300 has 6 cores as compared to the Core i5-4690K's four and with comparable clock speeds, Intel's Haswell architecture has much higher IPC than any AMD architecture, meaning that it will perform considerably better on a per-core basis at the same clock speed.

There are situations where the FX-8350 that you were originally looking at is a nice chip.  Gaming isn't among them, however, as it's very rare for a game to both:

1)  scale well to eight cores (typically requires good programmer), and

2)  need so much CPU power that six cores aren't enough (typically requires bad programmer).

There are quite a few games that just don't scale well to very many cores, but can make use of high performance on a single core, and the Core i5-4690K will win handily over AMD there.  Severe single-threaded bottlenecks are generally a sign of deficient programming or other design skill, which tends to cause other problems elsewhere in a game.  But you want to play the games you want to play.