Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

gaming cmputer with a $400 budget

squallypewsquallypew Member Posts: 50

hey guys  probably you guys remember me, i need help with processor, graphic card, memmory ram , the past budget i was gonna do didnt work out my uncle wasnt into the newegg place so he suggested either amazon or frys , since frys is closer to him , sorry for the issues btw, im really serious about this build, $400 for this, im not here to waste anyone time but i do need help with this if everything goes well i shall have the computer parts that i get suggested in 2 weeks.

i already have the OS and i already got the case , HD and ups in here yes its a new ups and i had to get it here to cut in weight.

ill wait for suggestions

Comments

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Edit:  Sorry, did I misread that bit about newegg?  Are you saying newegg isn't an option?  Disregard my suggestion if true, and I apologize.

----------

Sounds like you also don't have a mobo?  If you do, you'll probably want to post the model.

If not, I hate to tell ya, but $400 will barely get you a regular rig, let alone a gaming rig.

Others might come along with something better, but this is best of what I saw for your budget:

AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz Six-Core CPU, ASUS 970 AM3+ MOBO, HyperX Fury Black 8GB Memory $229.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1751406

Even here, you only get one memory stick(I'm surprised they're selling it like that), when you need 2 to go full DDR bus.  But at least the mobo gives you a few upgrade options down the road.

Whatever is left over, take and spend on your vid card.  There are acceptable, even decent options for $170.  There are probably other people around that are more familiar with the current sub 200 market than I am.

Best o' luck to ya!

On a budget machine, I wouldn't go Intel.  They're great; they've been the fastest first for a long long time, but the premium for that marginal speed difference, especially in their cheaper lines, just isn't worth it.

Secondly, I'd spend less money on the CPU, more money on the mobo:

http://www.amazon.com/ASRock-Motherboard-970-EXTREME3-R2-0/dp/B00C15B2DQ/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1428964718&sr=1-8

$100

The newer North and South bridges, along with the upgradability makes it a great choice.  64 gig memory capacity is rare, even these days.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004EHZZDW/ref=sr_1_5_olp?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1428965250&sr=1-5&condition=new

This should do for a starter processor; others might have better suggestions.  Keep in mind that the mobo above will support much faster processors, in case you run into money in the future.

$58-65

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-HyperX-FURY-2x4GB-1333MHz/dp/B00J8E91K4/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1428965976&sr=1-1&keywords=1333+mhz+ddr3

$65

Doesn't have to be specifically this.  Anything 1333 +ddr3 with 240 pins will do fine.  Again, the mobo will run faster memory than this, and 64 gigs of it, should you come into some more money.

Still leaves you with $170 for a video card.

• squallypewsquallypew Member Posts: 50
    i currently have an old intel computer and it has dured for at leats 10 years already lol im currently in it, yes its an old crap but it has done wonders for me, so you saying the one i got suggested isnt good enough , specially for the price?

In summary... his suggestion will be a little faster in real world use.  But in 2-3 years, both systems will need upgrading. 

With the other system, you'll have to gut everything and start over.

With mine, you'll be able to get the best processors the mobo can run(much faster than the ones I recommended to start) and memory cheap, and get a few more years out of it, for maybe $150-200 bucks.

Hope I don't sound like I'm picking on your friend; he recommended a solid build that would certainly make more sense than mine as a straight up budget desktop.  But I think you're probably gonna build either one of our recommendations and be a bit disappointed in the performance you get.  My build allows you to go alot further for less money, should you get some more dough.

Originally posted by squallypew
    i currently have an old intel computer and it has dured for at leats 10 years already lol im currently in it, yes its an old crap but it has done wonders for me, so you saying the one i got suggested isnt good enough , specially for the price?

If you can run whatever game(s) you're playing on a 10 year old PC with what you feel are acceptable frame rates, then you don't need a gaming PC.

Originally posted by Robsolf

If you can run whatever game(s) you're playing on a 10 year old PC with what you feel are acceptable frame rates, then you don't need a gaming PC.

sorry did i sounded rude? i was just stating that ive done just fine with intel brand, im not saying amd is crap.

sorry did i sounded rude? i was just stating that ive done just fine with intel brand, im not saying amd is crap.

I didn't think you did.  I also didn't think I said that the other system isn't good enough. 

My point is, they'll both be good enough, until they aren't, which will happen at about the same time.  At which point you'll be able to upgrade the processor and memory in the system I recommended for a big difference in performance, when parts that cost alot now, are alot cheaper later.  With the other system, you're gonna have to scrap it and start over.

Let's take memory, for example.  Upgrading will be cheaper with the Asrock board, as you have 2 more slots to use.  you could certainly get 16 gigs for the other board NOW and save some money down the line, though.  I'd recommend it.
    I dont plan on upgrading after awhile though so upgrading wont be an issue
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Currently, the best gaming computer you can get for 400 bucks is a PS4.

Its not gonna be just for gaming but general use as well
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Its not gonna be just for gaming but general use as well
    General use as in social media, streaming media, and internet? PS4 has all that plus keyboard and mouse support. Unless general use means writing music or graphic design. Then never mind.
    Yeah it means design and writing etc
    Yeah I won't overclock anything ,to be honest I oreffer Intel but any suggestion is welcome , I have a question is that graphic card compatible with the motherboard I got suggested?
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Slow down a bit.  Exactly which components do you already have that you need to fit around, and exactly which components do you still need?  You don't want to buy random stuff, get home, and realize that it won't even turn on because you're completely missing something important.  Speaking of which, my recollection is that you badly needed a new power supply.
  • dyermaker714dyermaker714 Member UncommonPosts: 192

Are you saying you never plan on upgrading? Or that you don't plan on upgrading for a long time? If its the first one then I don't understand at all. But either way, I'm sorry to say that $400 simply isn't enough money to buy a "Gaming" rig. You are simply buying a computer with that money. The fact that you're building it from scratch isn't making it a "gaming" computer. You're doing just that, building  a Computer from scratch.

I don't mean this in a negative way, just being real with you. With that budget you will not be able to run any recent or even semi recent games on anything above the lowest possible settings, and furthermore, I would imagine that are many games that you will not be able to run or play at ALL. Especially newer games that are just now coming out. With only $400 you would really be better off buying a ps4 or something along those lines and at least be able to play all the same games and have them look and run a lot better and smoother and with higher frame rates.

The only reason I can possibly think of for you to spend that money on a computer is if you want to play MMO's that are only on PC. And even then, some of them are already on, or coming to consoles. Not trying to advocate consoles I'm just trying to put it into perspective for you.

Looking to buy a gaming pc for $400 is sort of like looking to buy a new sports car for that amount. You might be able to buy a car but its not going to be a sports car. Same here. You can buy a computer for $400 but to buy a gaming pc that's going to run games on high settings or even on mid to low settings, you're going to need some more dough. On a high end gaming machine, JUST the video card by itself will run about $300-$600.

I hope that makes sense man =/ And if you decide to build a computer anyway, I would definitely agree with the people that have suggested at least buying parts that can be upgraded in the future.

the only thing that was worrying me for the original build that i show here was the motherboard , i usually get told to get asus but i havent found one in amazon that goes with what i need? idk lel other than that , do i get an okay with this ?

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Builder-Watt-EPS -CX600/dp/B0092ML0OC/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1428972318&sr=1-3&keywords=power+supply

thats the one i got.

That will work, but it's not very good.  I guess that's the sort of sacrifice that you have to make on your budget.  I sure hope you didn't pay $60 for it, though.

i paid 50 for it , well i gotta play with what i got , no?
    Originally posted by bestever

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Builder-Watt-EPS -CX600/dp/B0092ML0OC/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1428972318&sr=1-3&keywords=power+supply

thats the one i got.

That power supply is good. My brother has been using cosair power supplys for awhile now. He just got the 500w one for his linux server.

Corsair's latest CX line isn't one of the higher end ones that they used to build their reputation.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/01/21/corsair_cx750_750w_power_supply_review/9

It's not "serious danger to fry everything" bad, but you could do a lot better for $60.

Originally posted by bestever
    the only thing that was worrying me for the original build that i show here was the motherboard , i usually get told to get asus but i havent found one in amazon that goes with what i need? idk lel other than that , do i get an okay with this ?

MSI is good. Both my brothers run MSI. I gave Asrock a shot this time and its been a good board. ASUS, ASROCK,MSI, GIGABYTE all make good boards.

Give quizz a little time he might come up with a little better build for you.

I miss Abit.  Dunno what happened to them, but they saved me alot of money in the 90's.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Sounds like you also don't have a mobo?  If you do, you'll probably want to post the model.

If not, I hate to tell ya, but $400 will barely get you a regular rig, let alone a gaming rig.

Others might come along with something better, but this is best of what I saw for your budget:

AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz Six-Core CPU, ASUS 970 AM3+ MOBO, HyperX Fury Black 8GB Memory $229.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1751406

Even here, you only get one memory stick(I'm surprised they're selling it like that), when you need 2 to go full DDR bus.  But at least the mobo gives you a few upgrade options down the road.

Kinda made the same for my father in-law. Including a GTX750, HDD, DVD and case+PSU I came on €490. I know, not the best low-end gaming system, but it's only for my son when he's staying with them ;-)

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Currently, the best gaming computer you can get for 400 bucks is a PS4.

Haha, too true.

When all is said and done, more is always said than done.

sadly due a problem with amazon, its gonna have to be threw frys this is what i got so far please give opinion on the matter, i shall be making the buying soon:

http://www.frys.com/product/8290726?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

http://www.frys.com/product/8044344?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

http://www.frys.com/product/6709205?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

the only issue i have now is the graphic card i dont know which one to pick and its gotta be from woodland hills store.

max ill go for the graphic card is $150 or so.  yes i know its out of budget but im doing it cause i got green light for this lol.

i would rather to be nvidia is possible, thank you.

i was looking into some comparisons and this one seems to be good, but you guys know better in the field.

http://www.frys.com/product/7332854?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG