Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am sorry but FFXIV: A Realm Reborn should not charge its expansions.

MassAuthorityMassAuthority Member Posts: 21

Last time I played FFXIV: A Realm Reborn I had the following issues

• Fate Grinding - Bored me to death and unfortunately that was the most efficient way to level.
  • English Dubs - Broke my immersion; I could not take this amateurish acting serious.
  • Forced to skip my story/cutscenes - Due to being forced to group up with others that were speed-running the main story event. 
  • Intentional and consistent delay in PvE - Apparently to compensate for the inferior consoles as a PC gamer.
  • Stupendously Dark Soulish feeling - These one-shot boss mechanics and the fact I had to adjust my play-style to move 2 seconds before the boss's ability hits me was the last straw.
  • Slow Raid pacing - Every time I was finishing an instance, I had no motivation or passion to either re-do it for better gear or move to a different one straight away.
  • Uninspiring instance environments - Bland designs that lacked originality  that made the whole process of being there as a chore rather than an enjoyment.
  • Piss-poor money-making design - I never understood from day one why I did not have the option to make money via selling-loot from instances. Instead this game emphasized social inequality where the rich were getting richer and the poor poorer. I remember spending many days trying to pretend that I am enjoying all sorts of "gathering and crafting" until grinding finally got the best out of me and I stopped.
  • Painfully slow and boring combat - When the Ninja Job came out I thought I would be able to ignore the above and start over but the awful animations put me off; thought from seeing some 2015 videos it appears that Ninja animations are way better and more eye-catching.
  • Hunt System - Having enter servers doing one activity for massive hours and nothing else.
  • Extremely Long Queues as a DPS - Will never forget the 2-3 hour daily queues regardless the time of the day.
  • Probably one the worst random group making systems - 99% were wipes and 1% one-shots; see WoW with its perfect system.
  • Cash Shop introduction and controversies - Not even going to bother with this one.
  • PvP - What?

These were massive turn-offs as a new player and I didn't last more than 4-5 months. I really, really wanted to love this game because it had for me one of the best producers any MMOrpg can dream of but I couldn't pretend to have fun and throw my money out like a fanboy of the Final Fantasy franchise. It is not a fun MMOrpg; you can have a good time or fun but overall it is a very frustrating MMOrpg that often feels that it focuses more on fan-servicing than gameplay improvements itself. Add that to one of the worst again Mod forum team where players get banned  for criticizing heavily SE or the game itself on issues such as RTM (which suffers heavily) and you get the full picture.

Lastly having such a well-known company such as Square Enix refusing to report actual subscriber numbers while doing everything humanly possible to produce bullshit numbers; multiple times referring to registered accounts, mixing 3 game accounts into one number, as well as showing its greedy corporate face on numerous occasions and there you have it.

Short version, FFXIV is not good enough; is not revolutionary enough; is not premium MMOrpg enough to charge an expansion.

Writer of the column "An MMO that was once an RPG" on 2P.com

http://2p.com/user/activity.htm?userId=54a1c09361fc18b91cb56fc3

Comments

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by MassAuthority

Short version, FFXIV is not good enough; is not revolutionary enough; is not premium MMOrpg enough to charge an expansion.

FFXIV offers just about everything WoW does in a much prettier package.  I'm sure they'll sell plenty of expansion boxes whether you buy one or not. 

Prey tell what game do you actually think is good enough to offer a paid expansion?

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030

You know XIV has it's own forums right?  What purpose does this serve here?

If you don't like it don't play it.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    If you dont like it dont spend your money.  Not everything in life is free.  People need to make a living and Free does not pay people.  
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Except every single person who is playing it that I know currently loves the game. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it isn't worth it for every other person who enjoyed the game. So why should they not charge, just to have you come back not like the game again and quit?
  • Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311

Opinions, opinions everywhere!!!

Just because you don't enjoy the game they are supposed to hand out the xpac for free?

Wuh? Plenty of other people, including myself, enjoy the game. We play it almost daily and have a good time with what we do. We enjoy the difficulty of the content that requires people to work together almost perfectly to clear end-game content. It's a hell of a lot better than what some other games consider "end game 

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

It's always amusing to read the rantings of assorted nobody's on the internet.

Y'know, come to think of it, I don't like baseball much. It's boring. There's no way they should be charging people for stadium entrance to watch that rubbish...

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

This whole post is staged, its strictly a post for self promotion, he thinks he's a journalist and trying to write controversial pieces to get attention.

So obvious.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

...Add that to one of the worst again Mod forum team where players get banned  for criticizing heavily SE or the game itself on issues...

Ahh, now I understand the anger.

Someone got banned and is now on a crusade.

Too raging to enjoy it? Then don't spend the money. Easy as. The folks that love the game will be having a blast though :)

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

"FFXIV should not charge for expansions because people who don't like it won't buy it." :P

For people who enjoy the game, they're adding in as much if not more content than the base game. That's well worth the money.

•  see WoW with its perfect system.

I boiled your useless argument down to your point.  Go play WOW then.  O Wait WOW subs are dropping like a Rock.  

• "Probably one the worst random group making systems - 99% were wipes and 1% one-shots; see WoW with its perfect system."

I would probably say that's because WoW's dungeons are super easy. Atleast from my experience. Not done the end game raids in WoD so can't comment on that, but the dungeons are easy.

• MassAuthorityMassAuthority Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by PrinceDamien

"Probably one the worst random group making systems - 99% were wipes and 1% one-shots; see WoW with its perfect system."

I would probably say that's because WoW's dungeons are super easy. Atleast from my experience. Not done the end game raids in WoD so can't comment on that, but the dungeons are easy.

WoW's LFG system is great because you can find all sorts of groups instantly;

• Achievements Runs.
    • Alt Runs.
    • Mount Runs.
    • Guild Progression Runs.
    • Progression Runs.
    • One-shots.
    • Specific experience or item level runs.

while at the same time scales up difficulty perfectly

• LFRaid
    • Normal
    • Heroic
    • Mythic
    so it appeals to everyone and most importantly players can Armory-check you so they know if you are good or not or check your DPS.

With FFXIV you go from LFR/Normal to Mythic, being completely unprepared for (both in experience and gear) like every single random group out there were more than half your group feels hopeless. And the rage in there with random groups is expected and common but at the end of the day justified because learning curve and generally the system is awful.

Also try Mythic Highmaul and BRF (you used plural so I am assuming you meant both of them) and I am sure your view will change.

Writer of the column "An MMO that was once an RPG" on 2P.com

http://2p.com/user/activity.htm?userId=54a1c09361fc18b91cb56fc3

• /facepalm

"Probably one the worst random group making systems - 99% were wipes and 1% one-shots; see WoW with its perfect system."

• Achievements Runs.
    • Alt Runs.
    • Mount Runs.
    • Progression Runs.
    • One-shots.

• LFRaid
    • Normal
    • Heroic
    • Mythic
    so it appeals to everyone and most importantly players can Armory-check you so they know if you are good or not or check your DPS.

With FFXIV you go from LFR/Normal to Mythic, being completely unprepared for (both in experience and gear) like every single random group out there were more than half your group feels hopeless. And the rage in there with random groups is expected and common but at the end of the day justified because learning curve and generally the system is awful.

Also try Mythic Highmaul and BRF (you used plural so I am assuming you meant both of them) and I am sure your view will change.

let me Educated you on this one if you dont already know.  THEY DO NOT FORCE RAIDING ON EVERYONE LIKE WOW DOES!.   Now that is out, they give Casual players casual content non LFR raid shit.  They do make the content easier for people to see however not LFR queue up walk in the instance put someone on follow LFR easy.  They make you learn the fights and yea you can out gear something making it easier however you cannot tank and spank all the bosses like WOW.  

So Again DON'T LIKE IT DON'T BUY IT!  

O and on a last note, sorry you are loosen people to FFXIV.  Because yes I have friends who bitch they lost me and several others to FFXIV because WOW just no longer gets it and FFXIV does.  Sorry too bad.  WOW's time is over.  

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

• Fate Grinding - Bored me to death and unfortunately that was the most efficient way to level.** With boosted xp from levequests, daily dungeons and the addition of the challenge log, FATE's are now primarily a side thing while leveling.
    • English Dubs - Broke my immersion; I could not take this amateurish acting serious. ** You can turn on subtitles in the options if you want, or just turn of all voices entirely.
    • Forced to skip my story/cutscenes - Due to being forced to group up with others that were speed-running the main story event. **Only really happens on a couple dungeons, but you're not forced, you're just kinda pressured. But regardless, people are strong enough that you can watch the cutscenes and they'll just keep fighting the mobs as you do. 
    • Intentional and consistent delay in PvE - Apparently to compensate for the inferior consoles as a PC gamer.**Not sure what you mean by this.
    • Stupendously Dark Soulish feeling - These one-shot boss mechanics and the fact I had to adjust my play-style to move 2 seconds before the boss's ability hits me was the last straw.**Git gud u casul
    • Slow Raid pacing - Every time I was finishing an instance, I had no motivation or passion to either re-do it for better gear or move to a different one straight away.**Oh well. I've never been into raiding in any game, can't really argue.
    • Uninspiring instance environments - Bland designs that lacked originality  that made the whole process of being there as a chore rather than an enjoyment.** All I can say about this is that I strongly disagree.
    • Piss-poor money-making design - I never understood from day one why I did not have the option to make money via selling-loot from instances. Instead this game emphasized social inequality where the rich were getting richer and the poor poorer. I remember spending many days trying to pretend that I am enjoying all sorts of "gathering and crafting" until grinding finally got the best out of me and I stopped. **I sell a lot of random shit on the AH and make a good amount of money. Just because you can't sell gear doesn't mean you can sell stuff you find. 
    • Painfully slow and boring combat - When the Ninja Job came out I thought I would be able to ignore the above and start over but the awful animations put me off; thought from seeing some 2015 videos it appears that Ninja animations are way better and more eye-catching. **The combat gets pretty fast-paced and intense later. I've never understood this argument. I just don't see it as slow.
    • Hunt System - Having enter servers doing one activity for massive hours and nothing else. **Also it's an entirely optional activity for those who don't feel like doing dungeons and stuff. You never have to do a single Hunt if you don't want to.
    • Extremely Long Queues as a DPS - Will never forget the 2-3 hour daily queues regardless the time of the day.**It's not so bad these days, as DPS I can generally get into a dungeon or guildhest while leveling within 10-20 mins, and at cap, I often get in between 5-10. Sometimes it's instant if lucky.
    • Probably one the worst random group making systems - 99% were wipes and 1% one-shots; see WoW with its perfect system. **WoW is a much easier game to faceroll in its queueable content.
    • Cash Shop introduction and controversies - Not even going to bother with this one.**Meh, nothing necessary to playing the game is sold, and your fav game WoW takes this much farther.
    • PvP - What? ** Yeah, never felt compelled to really get into PvP, but it's not bad apparently.

These were massive turn-offs as a new player and I didn't last more than 4-5 months. I really, really wanted to love this game because it had for me one of the best producers any MMOrpg can dream of but I couldn't pretend to have fun and throw my money out like a fanboy of the Final Fantasy franchise. It is not a fun MMOrpg; you can have a good time or fun but overall it is a very frustrating MMOrpg that often feels that it focuses more on fan-servicing than gameplay improvements itself. Add that to one of the worst again Mod forum team where players get banned  for criticizing heavily SE or the game itself on issues such as RTM (which suffers heavily) and you get the full picture.

Lastly having such a well-known company such as Square Enix refusing to report actual subscriber numbers while doing everything humanly possible to produce bullshit numbers; multiple times referring to registered accounts, mixing 3 game accounts into one number, as well as showing its greedy corporate face on numerous occasions and there you have it.

Anyway, it's easy to tell most of you experience with this game was in the earlier days. Mainly just opinion and ignorance.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

So I feel like this is a rant post, but people keep telling me this is criticism. I don't know anymore lol

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

rofl , the 50h duration that just the main story of heavensward is just worth the money for me , add the 3 new classes ,new pvp zone , flying mounts ,the 8 dungeons , alexander raid ,and the 2 trials ,crafting ,and on top of that an awesome OST ,just the opening video of heavensward hints some tracks, and thats just the 3.0

if thats not worth the money for u....im not sure what will do...

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

"Probably one the worst random group making systems - 99% were wipes and 1% one-shots; see WoW with its perfect system."   I would probably say that's because WoW's dungeons are super easy. Atleast from my experience. Not done the end game raids in WoD so can't comment on that, but the dungeons are easy.

• Achievements Runs.
    • Alt Runs.
    • Mount Runs.
    • Progression Runs.
    • One-shots.

• LFRaid
    • Normal
    • Heroic
    • Mythic

Yeah and I'm sorry ESO should not be B2P it should be free it's that poor.

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

Thank you for your delightful read, now although me, in the same spirit pick apart your thread. 

Now, I want to say before hand that I am not going to lay into your opinion, you're entitled to one, everyone is. But I feel that you don't really give anything to your arguement as to why Square-Enix should not sell an expansion, apart from that your didn't enjoy it. 

• Fate Grinding - Bored me to death and unfortunately that was the most efficient way to level.
    1) Don't do it.
    2) It hasn't been the most effective way to level in the game. From 1-50, which is the end game you have always been able to reach it with the quests involved including the story mission. 
    3) The only reason this took place is because you did not utilize your account. If you went for the standard version of the game (so 40 characters) you had the chance to make a class of each with NO grinding involved what-so-ever. If you went to the cheaper basic account, then you can do everything on one character, but the consequence of that is that if you wanted to level multiple classes then yes, at this point you would of had to use FATES to grind. The amount of quests needed to utilize the amount of classes present all the way to 50 would be insanity. 
    4) The grinding of FATES has not been the main way to do things in the game since 2.1, so like 3 months from the release of 2.0 pretty much. So, pretty quick turn-around to address an issue of simple medocrity. 

• English Dubs - Broke my immersion; I could not take this amateurish acting serious.
    This is a curious arguement, mainly considering I consider all voice acting the same across the board on MMO's. The only game where I would say has superior voice acting (in English) is Secret World. Games like SWTOR VA is diabolical, especially considering the narrative to many of their quests are boring beyond tedium (aside from the story and companion ones). SWTOR voice acting is pretty much devoid of all passion. 

This is a cheaper arguement and not really one I can assign to MMO's in general, but more to do with the quality of VA in general. In Japan, VA are treated like Hollywood celebrities and the quality is fantastic. Sadly this doesn't carry well in the West. So I agree that VA is hit and miss here, but hardly an issue unique to Final Fantasy nor your enjoyment towards it. 
    • Forced to skip my story/cutscenes - Due to being forced to group up with others that were speed-running the main story event. 
    This was a personal choice you made, by your own admission you left the game before there was an ability to kick members from a group. Personally I WATCHED every single cutscene, as did most people. In addition you had the chance to re-watch the scenes if you wished from your inn room.

Intentional and consistent delay in PvE - Apparently to compensate for the inferior consoles as a PC gamer.

No idea what you mean in this. Makes no sense. Content comes out every 3 months which, in my entire gaming life of playing MMO's (20 years now) I have never seen as much content come out as quickly as it has done. Even Wildstar with their monthly boasts didn't deliver as much in the three months they had available. WoW has NEVER delivered as much nor anywhere near as quick. Consoles do not delay content. This is a mute point. It's something they have to consider, but that's it.

Stupendously Dark Soulish feeling - These one-shot boss mechanics and the fact I had to adjust my play-style to move 2 seconds before the boss's ability hits me was the last straw.

No idea what you mean here either, do you mean it was difficult? I am an avid Demon Soul's/Dark Souls 1 and 2 and now Bloodborne fan. Have been very active in the community, if you are too you might also be a fan of Epicnamebro or a German Spy. The point being, the game is nowhere the same as those games? What the hell you been playing?

Not sure I know what you mean about 1 hit boss mechanics either, or about dodging 2 seconds before the telegraph either. I play from the UK on USA servers. Never had an issue. 
    • Slow Raid pacing - Every time I was finishing an instance, I had no motivation or passion to either re-do it for better gear or move to a different one straight away.
    This is not a problem with the game, this is your opinion. The dungeon and raiding is among the best. 
    • Uninspiring instance environments - Bland designs that lacked originality  that made the whole process of being there as a chore rather than an enjoyment.
    What the hell you talking about, each instance has its own theme and interesting bosses with each dungeon having its own story and lore to it. Not to mention the fact that hard modes in the game are not just the same dungeon with harder mobs but a whole new map, bosses and monsters. What are you TALKING ABOUT!!!?
    • Piss-poor money-making design - I never understood from day one why I did not have the option to make money via selling-loot from instances. Instead this game emphasized social inequality where the rich were getting richer and the poor poorer. I remember spending many days trying to pretend that I am enjoying all sorts of "gathering and crafting" until grinding finally got the best out of me and I stopped.
    The economy is among the best, you do not like crafting or gathering? That's fine. It's not for everyone. However from 1-50 if you were to rush through things you would end about 300k which was enough to do whatever you needed at end game. What was you personally trying to do that gil was limiting you from? 

With that in mind, how was you expecting to make gil? You get enough items to make a small fortune. For instance, I have leveled a NIN (starting from 1 to 50) as I like to make multiple races (you know, utilize the fact I can make 40 characters) I completed it like 4 days ago. When I logged off this morning I had 2.6 million gil. I haven't even leveled a craft or gatherer yet. Made it from selling the loot I've picked up on the way.

Also for your information there is BOE and BOP gear from dungeons, like any other dungeons in any other MMO.
    • Painfully slow and boring combat - When the Ninja Job came out I thought I would be able to ignore the above and start over but the awful animations put me off; thought from seeing some 2015 videos it appears that Ninja animations are way better and more eye-catching.
    The animations are the best in any MMO, they even use motion capture on them. But this is where we get to the source of your complaint. The combat is great, but its built for this type of game. If you're not enjoying the combat then you are simply not going to enjoy this game. Its not down to you to force your preference into the equation as there are other games that give you alternative options. Doesn't make the game worse, just different. People that play (and there are lots of us) enjoy the combat. 
    • Hunt System - Having enter servers doing one activity for massive hours and nothing else.
    It's what they want to do with their play time. Its up to them. Stay out of their business and concerntrate on what's fun for you. If the game isn't for you, then move on. 
    • Extremely Long Queues as a DPS - Will never forget the 2-3 hour daily queues regardless the time of the day.
    I rack my head up on this, from the UK I played on Courel which is a USA server. I used to work until 10pm, so coming home and playing meant I would play near peak. DPS does mean longer waits, we out-number tanks and healers 2 to 1. For me, in peak I would wait 15 mins in the queue which I always felt reasonable. 

I moved servers to Lich, which is an EU server and guess what my queue time is still around 15 mins. Which is still reasonable. By my last count I would wait just as long on any other MMO. This seems to be an on-going issue with the LFG systems in all games. 

Or, you know... you COULD make some friends and play with them. Being an MMO and being a social experience, some part of it requires you to be somewhat social. In EQ and WoW back in the day we didn't have any queue systems for things. It required communication. Things haven't changed in that regard. Heck Final Fantasy even has a Party Finder system if you want to be just as lazy and antisocial. Ergo, your waiting time is nonsense and a problem to do with you, personally I use the LFG on my past characters. Allowed me to do my crafting and gathering. 
    • Probably one the worst random group making systems - 99% were wipes and 1% one-shots; see WoW with its perfect system.
    Oh its here when I realise you are a troll. But i've bitten thus far so might as well continue. 
    99% were wipes I don't believe you.
    1% one shots I don't believe you. 
    Give some facts on this. 
    • Cash Shop introduction and controversies - Not even going to bother with this one.
    Why not? Is it because you think a cash-shop speaks for itself? Not really. Unless that shop is derivitive of the gaming experience its not worth mentioning. Considering YoshiP is using the money to usher in some local EU data centres I am happy about it. Even if they weren't I am still okay with the shop. It's fine, you know why? Cost me 10 quid for the mount and 2 quid odd for a minion. Just having a look on competing services, WoW, Neverwinter, STO etc... not even close. 30 quid for a mount on WoW for example. 
    • PvP - What?

What do you mean? That you don't like it? Surprise, surprise!

These were massive turn-offs as a new player and I didn't last more than 4-5 months.

in your opinion

An opinion not really based on much, you don't like the combay system and your other points are mute and untrue. Personally I think you're a troll or just simply a bad player who likes everything handed to you. I also think that part of your lack of enjoyment has been based on your lack of interest in dealing with other people. 

I really, really wanted to love this game because it had for me one of the best producers any MMOrpg can dream of but I couldn't pretend to have fun and throw my money out like a fanboy of the Final Fantasy franchise.

People play this game that aren't fan boys of the franchise, my wife and brother for example have never played a Final Fantasy game before. They used to play WoW, but now really enjoy a game with a personal story that makes them the hero and the large regular updates.

It is not a fun MMOrpg; you can have a good time or fun but overall it is a very frustrating MMOrpg that often feels that it focuses more on fan-servicing than gameplay improvements itself. Add that to one of the worst again Mod forum team where players get banned  for criticizing heavily SE or the game itself on issues such as RTM (which suffers heavily) and you get the full picture.

What are you talking about?? Its like you make this crap  up. Fan Service is just dumb and easy to go down with because Final Fantasy is a recognised franchise. Its like saying WoW is fan servicing for introducing elements to their game based on the other franchises. Not including all the pop culture references. 

Also if you posted this on the SE forums I would understand. Its deeply negative with no basis for complaint or any real topic to discuss. Its basically the same as you going in caps I DID NOT LIKE THIS GAME!!!! and that's about the extent of it.

RTM is an issue, but not unique to this MMO.

They have no obligation to do so, let me put it this way. The game was built to be self sustaining at 300k subs. This has been confirmed by YoshiP. They have been insanely profitable, so much so that YoshiP got a promotion and FF14 has been tributed to the main source of revenue for Square-Enix. In addition to this, their recent CG reveal quoted "4 million adventurers". Take that for what it is, however you will. 

In short -

You have no basis for arguement, its opinion. 

What do you mean premium enough? Its a sub based game and as a subscriber I get PLENTY of content for my money. 

An expansion is a product, you pay for products.

I wish you all the best in your next MMO journey, but in honest... I dont even think you know what you want. 

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Obvious flame bait is obvious (in my opinion), but I have time to kill.

Once you leveled your first class, Fate Grinding was a fairly efficient way to level others.  But you forget the game doesn't consist around battle classes, but also gathering and crafting.  These have their own meta, gear, storyline, rotations, etc.  In addition, when it comes to speaking of battlecrafts, there are many ways to level ranging from dungeons, roulette, hunting logs, sightseeing log, challenge log, chocobo training, levequests, guildleves, sidequests, patch content, partaking in other systems, lower level treasure hunts, etc.  Don't let "most efficient" equate "only way" when trying to make an assertion.
    Yay for personal opinions.  I personally think the voice acting isn't that bad.  Especially when you understand context, world lore and what is going on. 
    There are only two cases where this happened, and they were the last portions of missions before patched content came out.  Nowadays, and for the last few patches, people didn't care if half of the team watched the movies due to levels of power that were obtained.  Aside from that, they did a good -- no, a great job -- at making new players feel welcome thereafter by offering huge rewards and notifying when a new player enters a raid or future dungeon.  Most of the time you see "Yay, new player!  Thanks for the bonus!"  or  "You're the real MVP, New player!  :D"  Grinding the main story became obsolete fairly early on.
    • Intentional and consistent delay in PvE - Apparently to compensate for the inferior consoles as a PC gamer.
    I don't quite understand what you're getting at here.  This is a case where you have to be smart and learn a system.  Not all systems are the same.  It's the same with combat with melee classes and some 32 button rotations you have (not to mention multiple rotations depending on the situation, group structure, boss mechanics, environment, etc.  With things as being locked out of your major DPS ability for 20 seconds if you mess up a single button).
    • Stupendously Dark Soulish feeling - These one-shot boss mechanics and the fact I had to adjust my play-style to move 2 seconds before the boss's ability hits me was the last straw.
    Learn system.  Get good?  The red portion?  Yeah.  That's the time you have to get out.  Then an enemy performs an animation.  Calculations are made in according to the red.  Stay out of the red; stay out of the fire.
    Okay?  Personal problem.  There are three LFR raids and 15 turns of Bahamut.  Not to mention dozens of single boss fights and 3+ new dungeons each patch.  Along with hundreds of new storyline, sidequests, side-stories, systems, new classes, adding to the meta of existing systems, etc.  If you don't like something, then don't play it.  Whining and making assertions as weak as these is just... well.  I have naught but pity for you.
    Personal opinion.  Personally believe everything is made beautifully.  To add, the graphical fidelity is top notch.  Just another reason for you to stop; I'm sure many people are laughing by now.
    Quite a bit of items from instances can be sold on the market board.  Questioning that you've actually took time to play.  Those very items range from selling for 100gil (low level instances) to upwards of 100k (level 40+ item drops from dungeons).  In addition to pets that could drop, which sell for 4-5 million on the market board.  The game at the start had an inefficient way to make money, but they significantly improved such.  It's easy to become a multi-millionaire with a little honest work now.  Heck, my friend -- who has no crafts -- just got a medium house.  That said, crafting's meta is making money.  Disciple's is getting powerful items, selling rare crafting materials / pets / dungeon items that aren't BoP, etc.  In addition to very generous quest rewards in future patches whereby they give you tier four crafting materia to sell to crafters for 500k. 
    They're changing the speed of combat in the expansion with an improved speed stat.  That said, for those who indulged in end game raiding (as a melee, at least), many will attest that combat might be going too fast.  Especially with a 32 button rotation without addons and multiple rotations pertaining to situations and group comp.  In addition to mistakes in said rotations (particularly with Ninja, since it's mentioned) possibly even locking you out of a good deal of your DPS for twenty seconds (or having to follow through with a rotation due to the combo system, hoping you don't get yourself wiped).
    New system, everyone wants in.  This is how it is with every game.  Hunts are pretty much extinct now, with people being able to farm World of Darkness and the previous raids for quicker tomes and 130 item level gear.  Like most of the other points, I don't think this one was well thought out.
    Holy cow!  2-3 hours?  Are you referring to when Ninjas were released?  I'm maining DPS at the moment, and I get <5 minute queues for WoD and other raids/Extremes.  <20 queues for duty finders, when I want to fool around.  Funny thing about making assertions is when you submit such, people who actually know better and have current experience know how to catch a lie or understand where the context comes from.
    I should just stop here.  Now you're making up math and talking about WoW.  I don't even recall wiping lately.  Save for with WoD -- the current "LFR" raid whereby you can't outgear it.  In WoW, you have people in Mythic gear entering looking for raid, and people still wipe off of Imperator in random groups.  With all their fancy addons and simple rotations. 
    Please do.  You mean how they sell cosmetic items of past holiday events for $1-3 and said that they will pledge money made from the cash shop into making more housing districts?  How they sell race change potions for $10 and grant them to every single characters -- up to 40 potions for just $10?  You mentioned WoW, but that game has the worst nickle and diming of any P2P game to date.  And they're going on with 20 months without any content updates (unless we consider twitter and the other lacklust things to be content).  Expansions are not patched content that is a part of our subscription cost.  Blackrock was successfully tested in beta and is thus a part of the expansion and not even released with the patch.  Compare this to FFXIV 1.0 that brought frequent updates despite only having 10,000 subscribers.  New systems, story, cutscenes, etc.  Knowing it will all be destroyed as they worked on ARR.  Then how ARR patches every 3 months -- even with an expansion on the horizon -- without taking 15 minutes of no content before an expansion.  I'm sure you recognize this as you mentioned how great the Producer Director is.  Plus, it seems that each patch in FFXIV has more content than an entire WoW's expansion worth of content patches.  Including new systems, classes, dozens of new dungeons, raids, etc.  Even a major feature such as Gold Saucer / Triple Triad / Chocobo Racing / Marriage / Housing / etc. was added into a patch, where Blizzard would put that in a Blizzcon trailer as a selling point.
    • PvP - What?
    Yes, PvP.  Arena and Battlegrounds.  Up to individual if they enjoy them.  I do not partake.  Final Fantasy is  PvE game first and foremost.

Criticisms are great.  But most of what you offered was personal preference and opinions.  Most of which are outdated.  A better place for them would be the official forums if you want real change.  This is just -- in my opinion -- flame baiting.

They release how many people have bought the game.  They have said directly in interviews how much it has several times.  There was a report on such last year, and a new one to be available to the public soon enough.  The absence of looking for things is not the absence of their existence.  Recent numbers are not known.

When, in fact, it has among the best graphics (aesthetics and fidelity), the most in-depth systems whereby every single detail has a meta, frequent patches that are the largest in the industry, etc.  A game does not have to be revolutionary.  People simply need to be willing to play it -- and the game has a large following.  That said, it is starting to separate itself entirely from themeparks with patched content and giving widely requested features as soon as possible as opposed to hold them on a piece of string.  In addition to the myriad of changes they are adding to the expansion as they rework entire systems to tend to legitimate complaints.

Originally posted by Panther2103
    Except every single person who is playing it that I know currently loves the game. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it isn't worth it for every other person who enjoyed the game. So why should they not charge, just to have you come back not like the game again and quit?

(See Below)

Originally posted by Dr_Shivinski

Opinions, opinions everywhere!!!

Just because you don't enjoy the game they are supposed to hand out the xpac for free?

Wuh? Plenty of other people, including myself, enjoy the game. We play it almost daily and have a good time with what we do. We enjoy the difficulty of the content that requires people to work together almost perfectly to clear end-game content. It's a hell of a lot better than what some other games consider "end game 

(See Below)

Originally posted by SpottyGekko

It's always amusing to read the rantings of assorted nobody's on the internet.

Y'know, come to think of it, I don't like baseball much. It's boring. There's no way they should be charging people for stadium entrance to watch that rubbish...

(See Below)

Originally posted by danwest58

•  see WoW with its perfect system.

I boiled your useless argument down to your point.  Go play WOW then.  O Wait WOW subs are dropping like a Rock.  

This is essentially how I feel about the situation.

Originally posted by danwest58

• Achievements Runs.
    • Alt Runs.
    • Mount Runs.
    • Progression Runs.
    • One-shots.
    Final Fantasy has all of these.  You can even block people who don't have the correct item level from applying in the group finder for your listing.  The Group Finder has been in game since the start.  You should know about this.

• LFRaid
    • Normal
    • Heroic
    • Mythic
    Final fantasy has normal - hard - extreme - brutal.  I think they wanted to release a "Savage" mode as well.
    You can look at a person's character on Final Fantasy's website.  Item Level does not mean good.  This is especially true when you have 32 button optimal rotations, boss mechanics as well as a host of other things to consider (and no addons to cheat for you).  The Looking For Group system also has an option to block your application if you do not meet the item level for the slot you're applying for.

let me Educated you on this one if you dont already know.  THEY DO NOT FORCE RAIDING ON EVERYONE LIKE WOW DOES!.   Now that is out, they give Casual players casual content non LFR raid shit.  They do make the content easier for people to see however not LFR queue up walk in the instance put someone on follow LFR easy.  They make you learn the fights and yea you can out gear something making it easier however you cannot tank and spank all the bosses like WOW.  

So Again DON'T LIKE IT DON'T BUY IT!  

O and on a last note, sorry you are loosen people to FFXIV.  Because yes I have friends who bitch they lost me and several others to FFXIV because WOW just no longer gets it and FFXIV does.  Sorry too bad.  WOW's time is over.  

FFXIV has something that introduces new players to new things quite well in terms of bonuses and telling others that there is someone new.  This way people can -- and should -- inform said people on what to do.  As a whole, it's optional as the game itself has more to do in it than pretty much any out there at the moment.

Originally posted by Foomerang

So I feel like this is a rant post, but people keep telling me this is criticism. I don't know anymore lol

It's people's opinion that it's criticism.  /chuckle

But yeah, no.  Rant posts are obvious and up to the individual to discern. 

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I don't often say this, but someone really needs to go back to WOW.

People seem to love FFXIV by the hundreds of thousands, and are willing to pay for it, can they really be wrong?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I don't often say this, but someone really needs to go back to WOW.

People seem to love FFXIV by the hundreds of thousands, and are willing to pay for it, can they really be wrong?

I dunno, I think it's kinda refreshing to find out someone is still so in love with WoW that they're indignant that FFXIV would dare to even charge money for it's expansion. 

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

At first I was thinking of it being just some basher who was throwing silly points or not understanding stuff (such as the purposeful direction with the script to be british in tone) but then as I got down to raid pacing I just kinda found that the post was more just blind bashing at the game without much substance. You can dislike a game but you really got to provide actual points. Your post was completely devoid of that. I can see where you can spot things people might have issue with, but then your explinations are just completely and utterly wrong on them I just can't help but feel you are just purposely hating on the game without much merit.

• In short Summary (since a full dip into each seems a waste of time for someone I'm almost certain is purposely just trying to attack the game without merit)
    • Fate Grinding - Not the most efficient way to level anymore, plenty of choices of what to do level wise
    • English Dubs - It is going for a certain style (British style) which to be fair I'm not huge on, but it is acted out properly and is a choice of tone that for me has appeared to be acted out quite well.
    • Forced to Skip - Yes... people want to get in and out. Nothing special. Just watch it and let them do their thing, or watch in in the tavern and see it for yourself. This isn't unique to this game this happens everywhere.
    • Delay - You are wrong on so many levels. It is the same delay of other games, just it handles the delay after actions rather then before. If you get use to it you have absolutely no problem with it (even though I prefer the normal method myself). The console bit you mentioned is complete BS
    • Darksouls Feeling - Challenge is good. Yes delay is different but you can easily get use to it. Not all games have to spoon feed you free wins like WoW, it makes it fun with challenge.
    • Slow Raid Pacing - What? You talk about slow pacing then you mention not wanting to do it again for look? What?
    • Unspired Instances - Good luck arguing this with a vast majority of the people out there. Even people who dislike the game will often find praise in its art style. If its the 'generic fantasy' then I expect you haven't seen an original game for decades now.
    • Money-making - So a game where crafting earns you money, and you aren't just handed it for free? So what you are saying is a system that makes crafting relevant? /facepalm
    • Slow/boring combat - Its the pacing of the game and it pulls it off well. A bit funny you say it is slow kind of contradicting yourself when you mentioned it being Dark Souls involving you actually having to move for stuff.
    • Hunt System - Then... don't do it? If it was required I can agree with you but its optional. You don't have to do it at all if you don't want to.
    • Queues - Welcome to every mmo ever. 2-3 hours queue though  I really wonder where you get that since DPS queues I've seen range for under 5 minutes to tops doing leveling dungeon at an off time being only about ~1 hour. Over-exaggerating to a great degree it seems like.
    • Grouping systems - Sounds like a difficulty issue you are talking about. Not everything is given as a freebie. Wow's system works because its designed for 2 year olds to be able to accomplish it. Sorry, games aren't fun to most people when its that easy. Not to mention your statistical claims there could be tweaked to look at least remotely like you are trying to create real numbers. I rarely see groups wipe much. 
    • Cash Shop - Really? I find it stupid myself, though I assume its more so since wow's cash shop is far more horrible and anti-consumer. 
    • Pvp  - Yes there is PvP. No it is no the main focus. Personally I don't like it but eh some do. If you don't like it, don't do it. I tend to avoid PvP in most MMos I do and I don't feel cheated out of it.

Good luck finding actual subscriber numbers for anything. Companies are big on that. Heck look at WoW, the only reason they announced numbers is to try and brag and get people to come back. Quite quiet about it until they need to reveal those numbers to investors. Not huge on it but eh. FF14 is pretty much being tuned in mind of NOT having a massive player base. 

In Short: So many poorly constructed arguments against it. Even IF they were true, the fact there is a large number of people loyal or interested in the game enough to pay means they have every right to charge for it. If it lacks content then maybe we can make a case for it, but it seems to have quite a lot planned.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

You have other options.
    So use the Japanese v/o
    Can re-watch at any time from your inn room and no one can force you to skip it. The dungeon can't even start until everyone is done.
    Not even sure what you mean
    Server sync has been fixed
    Soooo....every themepark MMO
    This is opinion based but I thought FFXIC actually had the most interesting dungeons
    You get ample money just from playing, yes the people who put more in earn more, that's called fairness.
    It gets better at later levels
    So everyone was doing FATEs and nothing else and Hunts and nothing else...? what?
    I found a crazy fix for this. I made friends.
    You mean WoW where they nerfed dungeons to almost be soloable? 
    Me neither since they don't sell anything scandalous
    • PvP - What?

Thanks for sharing, what exactly are you going to play that's better?

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

If I still played MMORPGs I would play FF XIV.

I think the OP, like me, should find something else to do.

*waves as he passes through the forums like a tumbleweed*