Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wow doesnt feel epic anymore, anything else good to play?

PaddyspubPaddyspub Member Posts: 104

Imo, Wow has lost its epic feeling,  the game while has had made good improvements over the years, but at the same time has been dumbed down.  I really miss the old classic wow world, the original talent point system,  when epic gear felt special and mattered,   when warriors, rogues could use guns,  exploring "Forbidden zones like dancing troll village, or the small island south of tanaris.     Also dont like how past achv you have done in the game are cheapen or made irrevelant.  

I was wondering if there is any game lesser known or otherwise that is F2P, B2P that has the Classic Wow feeling that is good or at least worth playing, not sure if there is anything out there yet at all that isnt cruddy.      I play Gw2 occasionally,  and TESO but just wondering if there is a hidden gem out there.  Sandbox would be awesome (sadly AA failed)  I miss the old Wow, but it is long gone and dont care much for WoD.  

Thanks for any tips.

Tbe Repopulation will be what SWTOR shouldve been.

Comments

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081

Not really.

WoW really went downhill after WoTLK.

The WoD changes were just icing on the cake, IMO.

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472

Since the new ESO patch and now that it is B2P, there seems to be a LOT to do in it.  I am enjoying myself.

Like you I miss the old WoW, but new games like ESO are a blast too!

Sz  :o)

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by Paddyspub

Imo, Wow has lost its epic feeling,  the game while has had made good improvements over the years, but at the same time has been dumbed down.  I really miss the old classic wow world, the original talent point system,  when epic gear felt special and mattered,   when warriors, rogues could use guns,  exploring "Forbidden zones like dancing troll village, or the small island south of tanaris.     Also dont like how past achv you have done in the game are cheapen or made irrevelant.  

I was wondering if there is any game lesser known or otherwise that is F2P, B2P that has the Classic Wow feeling that is good or at least worth playing, not sure if there is anything out there yet at all that isnt cruddy.      I play Gw2 occasionally,  and TESO but just wondering if there is a hidden gem out there.  Sandbox would be awesome (sadly AA failed)  I miss the old Wow, but it is long gone and dont care much for WoD.  

Thanks for any tips.

Honestly, Paddy, you're asking for a feeling.  The most purely subjective thing in the entire world.

I don't disagree with your assessment of WoW, but no one could possibly know what "Epic" feels like to you, or what the old WoW made you feel.

If you list some concrete game mechanics or features that give you those feelings, you'll get a lot more useful feedback.

If you aren't able to connect specific game features/mechanics/etc to those feelings you're seeking, then you're going to end up wandering around from game to game feeling unfulfilled and bitter talking about the "good ole days" of MMOs like oh so many in our genre.  

Don't chase the feelings man, chase the game mechanics you desire!

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• DevilSephDevilSeph Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Originally posted by Paddyspub

Thanks for any tips.

Nope sorry dude, wow and mobas (dota2,lol) pretty much offered everything that an epic game can offer, there is no way you can find anything now. All you can find now is to pay for alphas and kickstarters, (basicaly pay but not play).

I am pretty sure you would go very addictive with darkfall unholy wars for example but soon as you find out how pvp is the worst of all! you would quit and population is very low because of that. Every other theme park is same booring go questing but you have to kill rabits and you have talking cats and all. Than you have ESO which is a single player experience in an mmo, don't expect nothing special you might as well jsut play skyrim than. Every other game that you would try out you would feel it's jsut a cheap wow clone. I might be burn out as well from mmos but they didn't advance anything they just introdue less entertaining modes.

If you read lot of forums on mmorpg you will find out that there is no good AAA title that everybody likes. Some ppl play Elite dangerous some other don't even bother buying it. Cabal 2 enters in beta this month and soon Echo of Soul as well but you just might play Blade & SOul on russian bns, private servers but game is made for kids.

The only company that could offer you a new epic experience would be Blizzard itself but they stoped making mmo-s and i'm happy they didn't continue working on Titan because overwatch is so childish. Dude I am trying to find mmo-s from 2 months now and I'm out of luck so you better get use to the facts.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Ofc there is games to go, ESO, GW2, FF all offer flavours of MMO that are much more modern and very enjoyable if you are willing to engage in the story and you not burnt out.  I play ESO for the truely awesome questing and crafting (200 hours in and 7 zones to go, its ridiculous lol) and I play ESO and GW2 for the amazing large scale PVP.  ESO has open world pvp comming with the justice system, and GW2 has an expansion comming with some great ideas. 

There wont be 1 mmorpg that everyone likes, which is exactly what you want otherwise the game would be a black/brown homogenised mush, which is what we have with WOW, and you have been there done that.  A Clone of wow is still going to be a mush, just less polished.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• PaddyspubPaddyspub Member Posts: 104
    Thanks for the tips,  being checking out GW2 and ESO,  both are good games to play atm to fill the Wow void.   Looking forward to Tree of Savior,  Civ online,  EQN, Black Desert.   But those games wont be out for another year or so.

Tbe Repopulation will be what SWTOR shouldve been.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    While good, gw2 is not, not, NOT an epic game.

Can't speak to the others.
  • SuntouchedSuntouched Member CommonPosts: 50

I only played wow for 1 day and very quickly realised it was not the game for me, but Final Fantasy ARR i did play for a few months, its a great looking very polished game and ive heard its pretty similar to wow.

The player base is huge, lots of mature friendly players and lots of female players, which is always a plus. 

The only thing i did not enjoy about it was the slow combat, but as an ex wow player it might not be an issue for you as wows combat is pretty slow too.

Archeage was a flop but the server i play on is still very populated, i still cant find any free space to build a house. Its still pretty fun even though its deeply flawed.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Mostly all the games don't feel very "Epic" to me either.

Been doing RL "EPIC QUESTING", trying to buy a house. Puts game grinding to shame. :)