Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 75% off until April 13th

2»

Comments

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad
    Originally posted by Malabooga
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Bitrip
    Originally posted by Maurgrim

Best MMO out there hands down.

Couldn't agree more. Granted, it gets boring rather quickly for an MMO of its caliber. It's definitely the most polished AAA MMO out there right now. I think the only other contender is FFXIV:ARR...content wise it's definitely way ahead of GW2.

Most definitely. I don't think there is a game out there that competes with FFXIV when it comes to content being added. GW2 is good for what it is, and at ten dollars, most definitely worth the price. It is great for a casual MMO or as an in between games kind of game.

When FFXIV will have any kind of viable PvP lmk. PvP there is retarded.

AND you have to pay a sub AND have cash shop ob top of that.

And FFXIV gets boring very quickly, and its good only if you are into endles repeating of dungeons/raids geargrind. Not worth the sub+cash shop.

Also it has very bad latency delay of couple of seconds.

All in all, GW2 beats it in pretty much any way. FFXIV would be decent if it was F2P.

they dont even have Euro servers. Sorry, thats not AAA service.

As FFXIV;ARR very definitely does have Euro Servers, which kind of ridicules the rest of your post tbh, how about, instead of trying to denigrate another game, you just say what it is you actually like about GW2, because at the moment, i can't tell if you have every played it, and are just pandering.image

where are they located in Europe?

It is pretty clear that you don't play the game nor follow the game. They are moving the servers to Europe. It was announced with the new expansion. The cash shop is minimal. There are tons of things to do outside of raiding or getting gear. Everything from chocobo racing to housing to the minigames in the Golden Saucer. The amount of content that they have added in the last year and a half far exceeds any other MMO during that time. Also, unless you are wanting to have tons of characters on several servers, the sub is even discounted. To top it off, FFXIV has survived as a P2P game, something that almost no other game has managed to do since WoW. GW2 is decent for a F2P game, but it would never survive as a P2P game. 

GW2 is B2P though.

FFXIV's survival is attributed to being a tab-target P2P mmo, the last refuge for that demographic.  It's only competitor is WoW, which is a 10 year old game, so it's no surprise that it's taking in those demographic refugees.  The game is mediocre at best, and no different than all the tab-target "themepark" MMO's currently out there.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by observer

Couldn't agree more. Granted, it gets boring rather quickly for an MMO of its caliber. It's definitely the most polished AAA MMO out there right now. I think the only other contender is FFXIV:ARR...content wise it's definitely way ahead of GW2.

Most definitely. I don't think there is a game out there that competes with FFXIV when it comes to content being added. GW2 is good for what it is, and at ten dollars, most definitely worth the price. It is great for a casual MMO or as an in between games kind of game.

And FFXIV gets boring very quickly, and its good only if you are into endles repeating of dungeons/raids geargrind. Not worth the sub+cash shop.

All in all, GW2 beats it in pretty much any way. FFXIV would be decent if it was F2P.

As FFXIV;ARR very definitely does have Euro Servers, which kind of ridicules the rest of your post tbh, how about, instead of trying to denigrate another game, you just say what it is you actually like about GW2, because at the moment, i can't tell if you have every played it, and are just pandering.image

It is pretty clear that you don't play the game nor follow the game. They are moving the servers to Europe. It was announced with the new expansion. The cash shop is minimal. There are tons of things to do outside of raiding or getting gear. Everything from chocobo racing to housing to the minigames in the Golden Saucer. The amount of content that they have added in the last year and a half far exceeds any other MMO during that time. Also, unless you are wanting to have tons of characters on several servers, the sub is even discounted. To top it off, FFXIV has survived as a P2P game, something that almost no other game has managed to do since WoW. GW2 is decent for a F2P game, but it would never survive as a P2P game. 

GW2 is B2P though.

FFXIV's survival is attributed to being a tab-target P2P mmo, the last refuge for that demographic.  It's only competitor is WoW, which is a 10 year old game, so it's no surprise that it's taking in those demographic refugees.  The game is mediocre at best, and no different than all the tab-target "themepark" MMO's currently out there.

Funny how instead of promoting their own game, they try and run down a completely different game instead, defensive, much? how about instead of worrying about the millions of players in FFXIV;ARR, which tbh, is totally off topic anyway, since this is supposed to be promoting GW2 and the once again, heavily discounted game offering, unless of course, you have so little to say about the game you have to attack a different game instead, either that or we should just switch this whole convo to the FFXIV;ARR forum, if that is all we are going to talk about. Unless of course the next stage is to attack all the successful P2P games, in which case, line up your arguments against WoW and Eve Online as you please, you could even have a quick dig at SW;TOR tooimage

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Originally posted by Halandir

Living story is bad. Just bad. They should add "real" player housing, mounts, fishing, a better crafting system...normal stuff that most other MMOs have! I would think it's pretty simple, I mean even WildStar had fishing for a while...

"Normal stuff that most other MMOs have..."

You DO realize that some of us actually like the game for what it is and for not needing to copy "most other MMO's"!

Plenty of "most other's" around - Please stick with those!

Yeh I don't think some people realize that all.  That a lot of us like the game how it is.  Thus, that's why we play it.  If we wanted to raid (never actually had that urge or need in any MMO previously), then we could play pretty much any other MMO on the market.  If we want to do massive PVP battles with three opposing groups, then our choices are PS2, GW2, and ESO.  I happen to pick PS2 and GW2 for that.  Why do I pick GW2 over ESO for mass PVP?  Just do like my buddy BCBully says and watch a video to compare the two and you will see why. 

If fishing, housing, trinity, mounts, quest hubs,  gear grind, raids are what YOU care about in an MMO, then GW2 isn't for you. Simple.  Anet didn't have people like YOU in mind when they made this game.  They had people like ME in mind.

It's so funny that people want all MMOs to have the exact same formula, then just to bitch afterwards that all MMOs are clones.  Well, not all MMOs clones.  Just most of them.

Hardly anyone sticks with GW2 for longer than a few weeks because it's insanely boring unless you have a dedicated friend to play with (once you get to your mid 50s). There is not very much to do when you are playing by yourself and whether you want to believe it or not, the audience of MMOs has shifted from group-oriented to a more solo focused experience with occasional social encounters. So I'm sorry that I want GW2 to have the kind of features that would allow more people to call it their HOME.

The game is extremely polished, but also extremely hollow. But I won't keep you, you can go do your fractals since there isn't anything else to do once you hit cap.

Ahh I see now.  I highlighted two mistakes for you there.  The first one obviously isn't true due to your lack of data, sources, facts,...you know the things that people use to back up or support their ideas and claims.  Not to mention I, and many, many more have been playing since launch which was more than a couple of weeks ago.  Your personal experience hardly represents what everyone experiences.  Nice try (well not really), but nooope.

The second one is you assume I'm a PVE'er, which I'm not, but now I assume you are a PVE'er.  I guess you want raids in your MMOs?  Like I said, Anet had people like me in mind for the core audience of this game not you.  Now you know how a lot of us felt from 1999 until 2012.  I'm pretty sure 99% of the other developer studios have people like you in mind with all of the other MMOs out there.  So take heart.  All is not lost.  Pick pretty much any other MMO out there and you will probably have all of those exciting and gut-wrenching quests and fishing to boot that you can call home!  You do realize there are A LOT of other MMOs out there to choose from, right?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

GW2 is B2P though.

Funny how instead of promoting their own game, they try and run down a completely different game instead, defensive, much? how about instead of worrying about the millions of players in FFXIV;ARR, which tbh, is totally off topic anyway, since this is supposed to be promoting GW2 and the once again, heavily discounted game offering, unless of course, you have so little to say about the game you have to attack a different game instead, either that or we should just switch this whole convo to the FFXIV;ARR forum, if that is all we are going to talk about. Unless of course the next stage is to attack all the successful P2P games, in which case, line up your arguments against WoW and Eve Online as you please, you could even have a quick dig at SW;TOR tooimage

I wasn't being defensive at all.  Read up and you'll see me criticizing GW2's lack of content, because it's true, especially if compared to FFXIV's content..  I was merely stating that GW2 is B2P, not F2P.

I seriously doubt FFXIV has millions of players.  The only official data that can be considered, is from Yoshida himself, from this link, which is from 3-10-2014.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/151950-What-s-makes-an-MMORPG-fun-4Gamer-chats-with-the-Producers-of-FFXI-FFXIV-and-DQX

500k concurrent users, and we can infer that FFXIV didn't magically generate millions of players since then, if we look at past MMO trends.  MMO's don't usually gain millions of more subscribers after launch, unless they're WoW.  I'm not saying it can't happen, but until there's more official data, then it's just irrelevant to claim otherwise.

The only other data is 2.5 million registered users, but that can include past subscribers, beta accounts, etc.. we just don't know.

To be honest, the only one being defensive is you.  /shrug

Living story is bad. Just bad. They should add "real" player housing, mounts, fishing, a better crafting system...normal stuff that most other MMOs have! I would think it's pretty simple, I mean even WildStar had fishing for a while...

You DO realize that some of us actually like the game for what it is and for not needing to copy "most other MMO's"!

Yeh I don't think some people realize that all.  That a lot of us like the game how it is.  Thus, that's why we play it.  If we wanted to raid (never actually had that urge or need in any MMO previously), then we could play pretty much any other MMO on the market.  If we want to do massive PVP battles with three opposing groups, then our choices are PS2, GW2, and ESO.  I happen to pick PS2 and GW2 for that.  Why do I pick GW2 over ESO for mass PVP?  Just do like my buddy BCBully says and watch a video to compare the two and you will see why. 

If fishing, housing, trinity, mounts, quest hubs,  gear grind, raids are what YOU care about in an MMO, then GW2 isn't for you. Simple.  Anet didn't have people like YOU in mind when they made this game.  They had people like ME in mind.

It's so funny that people want all MMOs to have the exact same formula, then just to bitch afterwards that all MMOs are clones.  Well, not all MMOs clones.  Just most of them.

Hardly anyone sticks with GW2 for longer than a few weeks because it's insanely boring unless you have a dedicated friend to play with (once you get to your mid 50s). There is not very much to do when you are playing by yourself and whether you want to believe it or not, the audience of MMOs has shifted from group-oriented to a more solo focused experience with occasional social encounters. So I'm sorry that I want GW2 to have the kind of features that would allow more people to call it their HOME.

The game is extremely polished, but also extremely hollow. But I won't keep you, you can go do your fractals since there isn't anything else to do once you hit cap.

Ahh I see now.  I highlighted two mistakes for you there.  The first one obviously isn't true due to your lack of data, sources, facts,...you know the things that people use to back up or support their ideas and claims.  Not to mention I, and many, many more have been playing since launch which was more than a couple of weeks ago.  Your personal experience hardly represents what everyone experiences.  Nice try (well not really), but nooope.

The second one is you assume I'm a PVE'er, which I'm not, but now I assume you are a PVE'er.  I guess you want raids in your MMOs?  Like I said, Anet had people like me in mind for the core audience of this game not you.  Now you know how a lot of us felt from 1999 until 2012.  I'm pretty sure 99% of the other developer studios have people like you in mind with all of the other MMOs out there.  So take heart.  All is not lost.  Pick pretty much any other MMO out there and you will probably have all of those exciting and gut-wrenching quests and fishing to boot that you can call home!  You do realize there are A LOT of other MMOs out there to choose from, right?

That's true, but Anet shifted it's direction to retain players like him.  It's probably their sole reason for coming out with an expansion.  People had been asking for one, for almost 2 years, and they finally caved in because they knew the living story wasn't retaining enough players.

Any objective GW2 player would admit that the game is shallow in content, especially for pvp'ers.

• Dungeons & Fractals (no new dungeons)
    • World Bosses (Teq, Wurm, Karka Queen)
    • Living Story (S1 temporary, S2 = Dry Top /Silverwastes)
    • WvW (1 new zone)
    • SPvP (3 new maps i think, and 1 of them removed)

That's pretty much it for level 80's, for the better part of 2 years now.  Compare that to any other MMO within the same timeframe and it's not even comparable.  A loyal, and dedicated playerbase, might think it's enough to run GW2, but it's not, hence the expansion and new content.

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977

blah blah blah "they dont have euro servers"

fact

they admitted they need cash shop becasue not enough people play.

Wow, you really think high of yourself when you think youre "everyone"

Now, when you sober up, mabye write something more....closer to truth? :)

GW2 is B2P though.

Its FF and east is kinda into FF. Never underestimate how much company can explot ip.

SQIX has became greedy little bunch, stopping development on FFXI and still charging sub, FFXIV sub and they implement CASH SHOP on TOP of sub, because "they will use money for Euro servers"....that they cant even pay form some imaginary "millions" that play (and pay) for the game.

That's true, but Anet shifted it's direction to retain players like him.  It's probably their sole reason for coming out with an expansion.  People had been asking for one, for almost 2 years, and they finally caved in because they knew the living story wasn't retaining enough players.

Any objective GW2 player would admit that the game is shallow in content, especially for pvp'ers.

• WvW (1 new zone)

That's pretty much it for level 80's, for the better part of 2 years now.  Compare that to any other MMO within the same timeframe and it's not even comparable.  A loyal, and dedicated playerbase, might think it's enough to run GW2, but it's not, hence the expansion and new content.

ANet didnt shift anything.

NCSoft said there will be expansion 2,5 years ago. You seem to have not been paying attention.

GW2 is best PvP MMO out there atm.

Whole game is there for lvl 80es, opposed to games HE wants that have 1 raid you farm every week for gear. like aforementoned FFXIV as perfect example of flat (yeah shallow is overstating it) game.

Yeah, thats deep, man, deep. rofl

Oh yea, i forgot. it has dailes. *faints* what a revolutionary idea...

We have NCSofts financial info and you still come out with nonsense like this. Would they want more money? every company does. but they learned a lesson: not at the expense of current players.

I see that trolls are preparing for expansion. good.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

GW2 is B2P though.

Its FF and east is kinda into FF. Never underestimate how much company can explot ip.

SQIX has became greedy little bunch, stopping development on FFXI and still charging sub, FFXIV sub and they implement CASH SHOP on TOP of sub, because "they will use money for Euro servers"....that they cant even pay form some imaginary "millions" that play (and pay) for the game.

Dude, shut up with your greed crap. The cash shop isn't in any way necessary to to the enjoyment of the game, they give the stuff in-game over time if you play and sub long enough, like Fantasia's, but they give alternative ways to purchase it if you use your free ones and then change your mind. Stop using a cash shop as an excuse to project your distrust and paranoia on others. 

I am currently paying less monthyl for my sub, and getting more content for less than EVERY SINGLE OTHER MMO OUT THERE. Period. (The exception being unless you've paid nothing for an F2P and played it for years.)

Have fun. ;)

Originally posted by Ghavrigg

GW2 is B2P though.

Dude, shut up with your greed crap. The cash shop isn't in any way necessary to to the enjoyment of the game, they give the stuff in-game over time if you play and sub long enough, like Fantasia's, but they give alternative ways to purchase it if you use your free ones and then change your mind. Stop using a cash shop as an excuse to project your distrust and paranoia on others. 

I am currently paying less monthyl for my sub, and getting more content for less than EVERY SINGLE OTHER MMO OUT THERE. Period. (The exception being unless you've paid nothing for an F2P and played it for years.)

Have fun. ;)

Its greed.

They screwed up, spent another small fortune on remading the game and someone has to pay for it and they dont have enough players and require players to pay MORE than sub to keep running.

Its quite simple.

If theyre already rolling in cash then its ultimate greed, because they would at least have euro serevrs by now.

So take your pick:

greed or ultimate greed.

arent you a bit overly defensive about this? now, why would that be?

• WvW (1 new zone)

NCSoft said there will be expansion 2,5 years ago. You seem to have not been paying attention.

Whole game is there for lvl 80es, opposed to games HE wants that have 1 raid you farm every week for gear. like aforementoned FFXIV as perfect example of flat (yeah shallow is overstating it) game.

We have NCSofts financial info and you still come out with nonsense like this. Would they want more money? every company does. but they learned a lesson: not at the expense of current players.

Yes, they did.  They shifted from free content updates to a paid expansion, because they knew the living story wasn't working.

NCSoft isn't Arena-Net.  They could've said that GW2 was going P2P, but it wouldn't make it true.

The fact is, Anet never confirmed or rejected the possibility of an expansion, because they had hopes that the living story would be enough to keep players interested, while still delivering free expansion-quality content using the living story model.  It didn't work out though, so they shifted towards an expansion update.

I don't see how you can criticize raids, when GW2 has them too.  Teq, Wurm, Vinewrath, and other world bosses, are technically raids.  The only difference is, they are non-instanced.  The current "endgame" boss is Vinewrath, which sounds like a typical MMO raid to me.

Sorry you can't be objective towards GW2 like others, but i guess some of us are "trolls" for not blindly praising everything about it.

• SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334
    snip

The fact is, Anet never confirmed or rejected the possibility of an expansion, because they had hopes that the living story would be enough to keep players interested, while still delivering free expansion-quality content using the living story model.  It didn't work out though, so they shifted towards an expansion update.

Not sure how you can state this as fact or how you got to this conclusion.

A-net has stated ( I believe in a Colin interview and a few statements made on POI # 18 during intro's) that the started working on the expansion 2 years ago.  That doesn't support your claim that it shifted towards an expansion because of the living story.   They basically started on an expansion as soon as the living story went live. 

Also, the B2P model, has always been supported by expansion packs.  It just doesn't make sense.  None of us know exactly why Anet does anything but I think it is more likely that Anet was planning on an expansion all along.   I think it is more likely that they may have changed some of the expansion content because of the living story.

Also it has been know that Anet had two teams, one working on living story content and one working on longer term projects like expansions.   The fact that Anet never confirmed their expansion just goes along with how Anet has always released information.  They have never released their plans far in advance.  

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Originally posted by Magnetia
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    It's worth it but then you'll have to buy the expansion for full price which is why it's on sale.  Not really interessted.

Just wait for the expansion to go on sale ;) 

I likely will unless they keep with the living story that you can't catch up on once it's gone.  Phasing is a powerful thing that they should utilize more.

• WvW (1 new zone)

Yes, they did.  They shifted from free content updates to a paid expansion, because they knew the living story wasn't working.

NCSoft isn't Arena-Net.  They could've said that GW2 was going P2P, but it wouldn't make it true.

I don't see how you can criticize raids, when GW2 has them too.  Teq, Wurm, Vinewrath, and other world bosses, are technically raids.  The only difference is, they are non-instanced.  The current "endgame" boss is Vinewrath, which sounds like a typical MMO raid to me.

Sorry you can't be objective towards GW2 like others, but i guess some of us are "trolls" for not blindly praising everything about it.

They planned expansion all along.

NCSoft is da boss. If they want GW2 go p2p it would. Unless Anet decides to "buyout" Anet from NCSoft.

50 out of 350 people have been working on living story. Other 300 didnt twiddle their thumbs. They worked on other stuff of which one was expansion.

Yes, GW2 has them too, but they are not mandatory and not only thing it has.  theres no "endgame" in GW2, Or if you want to use "endgame" whole game is endgame. new content just becomes part of the game. I think thats confusing you.

Sorry, but youre not really objective towards GW2 like the others. Im definitely not praising everything about it. I guess thats also confusing for you.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884

fact

They are moving the servers to Europe because it is doing so well.  Fact.

Face it, you have no idea what you are talking about. You know nothing of the game.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

Originally posted by SteeJanz
    snip

A-net has stated ( I believe in a Colin interview and a few statements made on POI # 18 during intro's) that the started working on the expansion 2 years ago.  That doesn't support your claim that it shifted towards an expansion because of the living story.   They basically started on an expansion as soon as the living story went live. 

Also, the B2P model, has always been supported by expansion packs.  It just doesn't make sense.  None of us know exactly why Anet does anything but I think it is more likely that Anet was planning on an expansion all along.   I think it is more likely that they may have changed some of the expansion content because of the living story.

Also it has been know that Anet had two teams, one working on living story content and one working on longer term projects like expansions.   The fact that Anet never confirmed their expansion just goes along with how Anet has always released information.  They have never released their plans far in advance.  

In other words.. they never officially stated what the "big project" was going to be, whether it was going to be an official expansion or another free content release.

That's my point.  There was never an official statement that future releases would be paid expansions, or even named expansions.

That's what the living story was for.  To deliver content that was different than non-traditional expansions found in other mmo's.  Colin, or anyone else, can try to spin it all they want.  The fact is, there was a separate team working on something in the background, and it only became convenient for them to announce it as an expansion, instead of the  living story season 3.

fact

Face it, you have no idea what you are talking about. You know nothing of the game.

well, according to them it wasnt doing so well and they needed cash shop in addition to sub. So you know better than SQIX themselves? Please, by all means, share with the rest of the world and prove SQIX themselves wrong.

snip

In other words.. they never officially stated what the "big project" was going to be, whether it was going to be an official expansion or another free content release.

That's my point.  There was never an official statement that future releases would be paid expansions, or even named expansions.

That's what the living story was for.  To deliver content that was different than non-traditional expansions found in other mmo's.  Colin, or anyone else, can try to spin it all they want.  The fact is, there was a separate team working on something in the background, and it only became convenient for them to announce it as an expansion, instead of the  living story season 3.

In other words, NCSoft said it officially 2,5 years ago in conference call.

Your point is that ANets marketing is working on you. And it seems bunch of other people. And thats good.

snip

Whatever honks your hooter but your still not making sense.   So basically, your saying that when they said they had a team working on living story and a separate team working on other things, the other things was living story.  

I would have to disagree and the B2P model has always supported expansions.   I would assume that most fans have always thought an expansion would be coming at some point.   I think they have other reasons for not announcing things too far in advance, like  us consumers holding them to what they say.   I for one would give them grief for the shooting gallery in Divinity's Reach and the the extended experience mobile app that they said we would be able to communicate with users in game.

fact

Edit.  I had to change my comment because I thought stevebombsquad made both quotes.  I was incorrect and apologize to stevebombsquad for my ignorance and poor display of reading comprehension. 

snip

In other words, NCSoft said it officially 2,5 years ago in conference call.

Your point is that ANets marketing is working on you. And it seems bunch of other people. And thats good.

NCSoft is not Anet.

NCSoft is not Anet.

NCSoft is da boss.

NCSoft is not Anet.

NCSoft is da boss.

Anet is a subsidiary.  We don't know how much influence NCSoft truly has over Anet's design decisions.  Anet obviously wasn't generating enough money with their design, so they switched tactics and offered an expansion.