Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are EQ 1/2 fans hyped about EQN?

andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
Are EQ 1/2 players/fans hyped about EQN?

Comments

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    I was until they talked about combat and using the same stupid fucking system as GW2. I like having a lot of abilities to choose from and set up crazy combos. Not just 5 or 6 at a time.  I hate GW2, so I'll probably hate EQN.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• ace80kace80k Member UncommonPosts: 151
    I was looking forward to it 3 or 4 (lost count) years ago when the game was first announced. But now, it's like..whatever. Game probably won't be released until 2017. Most of the creative minds behind the game were let go and now the game is being funded by a company I've never even heard of. Over the years, I associated EQN with the people who were let go. I tuned into the podcasts to see how the game was progressing. The people in the podcasts added a sense of personalization to that process. Maybe they were let go for the best, but getting rid of people who were so fundamentally involved with EQ at it's core (Jeff Butler cough cough) just leaves me feeling very meh. I have higher hopes for Pantheon at this point. Never thought I'd say that. So sad.
  • bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Originally posted by ace80k
    I was looking forward to it 3 or 4 (lost count) years ago when the game was first announced. But now, it's like..whatever. Game probably won't be released until 2017. Most of the creative minds behind the game were let go and now the game is being funded by a company I've never even heard of. Over the years, I associated EQN with the people who were let go. I tuned into the podcasts to see how the game was progressing. The people in the podcasts added a sense of personalization to that process. Maybe they were let go for the best, but getting rid of people who were so fundamentally involved with EQ at it's core (Jeff Butler cough cough) just leaves me feeling very meh. I have higher hopes for Pantheon at this point. Never thought I'd say that. So sad.

Agreed.  Except for Pantheon. That game is going to be a train wreck just like Vanguard.  Brad, fool me once shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• ArtificeVenatusArtificeVenatus Member UncommonPosts: 1,236
    edited September 2015

Post edited by ArtificeVenatus on
  • ace80kace80k Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Originally posted by bingbongbros
    Originally posted by ace80k

Agreed.  Except for Pantheon. That game is going to be a train wreck just like Vanguard.  Brad, fool me once shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.

EQN is going through a situation VERY similar to what happened with Vanguard. Sold off to another company. This happened to Vanguard because of a supposed lack of progress. Could the same be true with EQN and SoE? In the case of Sigil, it was just Vanguard. In SoE's case, it's multiple games. I'm guessing SoE pumped a considerable amount of it's resources into EQN/Landmark's development. Because of this, Sony failed to see a considerable monetary return given EQN's current progress, so they were cut loose. That may not be 100% true! But that's my theory given everything I've read.

Now, was Sigil's lack of progress on Vanguard Brad's fault? Probably, he was the boss. But still, if given the time/funding needed, I don't think many would disagree that Vanguard would have turned out to be an amazing game all around. Given the current MMO field, I bet many would still be playing the game if not for the rocky start. Vanguard really wasn't that bad image.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    SOE/Daybreak turned their backs on me as a fan of the original EQ1 & EQ2, as far as EQN goes.  Why should I give them my time and money now?
  • TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

No.

Nothing about EQN is EverQuest.  I've given my opinion often enough and in detail, so I won't repeat myself again.  Dave and Smed ruined the franchise for a lot of the fans, and I count myself in that group.

In fact, given what has happened recently with the buyout, the culling, and the stripping of CS and consequent reliance on 3rd party sites for feedback, I've written the entire studio off.  This is coming from someone who has had a running subscription with them since 2000.

• cmorris975cmorris975 Member UncommonPosts: 207
    Nope.  It doesn't feel like what they are making has much  to do with the game I fell in love with fifteen years ago.  The cartoon graphics make that clear.  I wish them luck though.
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Nope just can't trust anyone that was connected to SOE, even if they sold out. I have a feeling the game if it does come out will be a total flop!
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    Originally posted by andre369
    Are EQ 1/2 players/fans hyped about EQN?

EQN is not targeting EQ/EQ2 players. It is targeting the same demographic as GW2.

The only thing connecting EQN to prior games in the franchise is the name.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• nowrnvrnowrnvr Member UncommonPosts: 42

I purchased and tried out landmark and if this is the platform for EQN I am fairly certain I'm not paying for a pre-purchase again.... I have played every game of SOE and so far I have to say nothing has or imo will ever come close to eq1... 

~ vanguard ...sooo many issues I can't even know where to begin

~ landmark... characters are far too cartoony.. yes its a personal choice but if I want a game engine that works and I want cartoons I'll go play wow at least the bugs are worked out there.. the chat system was horrible, multiple zones for different ores and basically its just crafting and gathering w/o and world interaction other than the other players mining... the only fun thing in the game was the grappling hook lol.  Hellooooo anyone out there ... no responce just crickets.  That game is so dead, I would go back to minecraft and build first lol at least there you can build cool things like spawners and such.

~ Every person I have ever talked to loved EQ1 there were so many classes and great buffs, awesome zones, community (Nexus) and many memories of trying to get my body back, quests that led to something... I never did understand why they didn't just remake it with a new engine and new character models.

~ (classy ~sexy~ life like~ with nice looking gear... not some cartoon character that welds some plain weapon... something that makes you want to log in and feel your living in a different world... weapons and gear that make you want to work hard to get... some epic quest where you earn things and not have to upgrade each and every expansion but are able to use a aa system and improve your character overall or simular to lineage 2 where you take risks and add enhancements to your weapons but could possibly lose them in the process, this gives items value :) 

I vote No to cartoon characters :) and no easy mode let players put time in the game to earn things through crafting or dungeons or quests :)

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

Are fans of only EQ 1/2 hyped about EQN?

Fixed it for you.

As has been said, EQN is not "for" EQ 1/2 fans specifically. As in those that want a very specific design and aren't willing to accept much change, although EQ and EQ2 are drastically different and EQ 99 compared to EQ 2015 are also very different games so I'm not sure what someone even means when they say "EQ 1/2" at this point without some sort of time frame to go off of.

Those like myself that enjoyed EQ but also like a variety of games/genres/style will most likely enjoy EQN to some degree, obviously highly dependent on the execution and what the end result is.

The number of potential customers today that enjoy a variety are too hard to ignore.

Despite Pantheons issues, if every "I want EQ3" person had tossed support at it, they would of probably been able to pull something off. When one of the main individuals behind the original design of EQ and VG can't get support from fans, it probably doesn't send a good message to any other company tossing around the idea of doing something similar.

Where as Camelot Unchained, Crowfall, Shroud of the Avatar, etc are all being put together thanks to support by fans of the previous games and dev work. Whom all have just as much baggage as McQuaid. Each pulling in a couple million and 15-20k+ fans.

Highly doubt we'll see anything resembling "EQ" on an AAA budget or from a large studio, at some point people are going to have to put their money where their mouths are to get a result. If not, enjoy the same old PVE experiences that sucked the life out of EQ/EQ2 or one of the numerous player interaction focused games (aka PVP) coming up.

While I'm still hopeful that EQN turns out well, I'm not losing sleep over it. I'm a fan of action combat, multi-classing, horizontal progression on one character, and most of all the possibility of AI that makes PVE actually some what challenging or at least fresh. As EQN is the only big name PVE game on the horizon, I'll see you all in it =)

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Definitely not interested and they should name EQN something other than Everquest. Disney: Next or something would be much more appropriate name.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by MightyUnclean
    SOE/Daybreak turned their backs on me as a fan of the original EQ1 & EQ2, as far as EQN goes.  Why should I give them my time and money now?

+1, I feel the same way.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    I'm not a real fan of EQ2, but I like the game as it is now. That being said, a 3rd iteration of the EQ series is not really needed. They'd much rather use the development costs to improve EQ1/2 or come with something completely new...
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130

At first I thought this thread was legit because you were calling EQ Next "EQ ½"

That's what they should call it.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

No.

For years i played EQ1, it was my goto game, my friends were there, the guild i was in was active and i was having fun, then shadows of luclin hit, and my pc couldn't run it, one expensive upgrade and a 3 month break from the game later, i was back in, but, luclin was terrible, and tbh, every expansion after that just seemed to see the game get worse and worse. I was no longer happy to play EQ1, but, persevered, and then i got a beta invite for EQ2, and while it was a struggle, my PC could just about handle it, but it was terrible, i think it was at that point i just about gave up on EQ, both versions, when Vanguard hit, i was wasn't sure if i would even try it, but, i did, and the crazy thing was, it felt more like what EQ2 should have been, than EQ2 did, shame it was in the state it was.

But EQN, everything i have seen so far, and from Landmark as well, is that none of it is really Everquest, now they just seem to me to be some overly cartoonified attempt to gain the attention of a much younger generation.

Apparently SOE has been losing money for Sony for years, can't say that surprised me, but what did surprise me, was Sony selling SOE off, not because SOE was valuable as such, but because they (Sony) had backed SOE for so long, to just let them go like that seemed weird, as for SOE, now Daybreak, i seriously doubt we'll see anything come from them, i don't think EQN will ever happen, and as Daybreak is stripped of assets and sheds more and more of their workforce, until the few 'paying' games remain, i think it will probably spin off again, probably with a buyout from within what remains of Daybreak from Columbus Nova, whether Smedley will still be in charge, or leading the internal buyout at that point, don't really care tbhimage

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I find it interesting that so far no one has voted for more content of the game they think EQN turned it's back on, indicating that those voting no longer play the game they think EQN should have emulated...
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

I am biased, I have a rule to stay away from any game that Smed is involved with. No matte rhow much I like the IP.

And it pays off.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by Aelious
    I find it interesting that so far no one has voted for more content of the game they think EQN turned it's back on, indicating that those voting no longer play the game they think EQN should have emulated...

I was hyped and waiting for EQ3 until they revealed that EQN abomination. Yes, I've moved on from EQ/EQ2 but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to play a good and true successor with all the possibilities current tech gives. That doesn't include overly cartoonish art style and spastic combat. Everything they have shown so far has been a disappointment for me.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Siug
    Originally posted by Aelious

I was hyped and waiting for EQ3 until they revealed that EQN abomination. Yes, I've moved on from EQ/EQ2 but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to play a good and true successor with all the possibilities current tech gives. That doesn't include overly cartoonish art style and spastic combat. Everything they have shown so far has been a disappointment for me.

I like the sandbox idea, I just only see vid shows about new particles, new ways to build and nothing about the actual game itself, like a map of the world, environments etc.

Only thing I see are devs at a table browsing through lego built structures........where is the actual game?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Originally posted by ArtificeVenatus

Nope.

• Action Combat. Those were the only 2 words I needed to hear.

• After that, their concept of every character can collect every class skill set, just really does not do it.

• Their cartoonish graphics, rather than at least attempting more realism, just adds to the list of why to not bother.

The only really interesting point EQN really seems to have, is the AI as to NPC encounters having "motivations," and so far that sounds like just a nice concept. I am truly surprised that was not a point they made certain we have not only heard of, but also actually got to see in action by now.

Since it came up... The only MMORPG I am looking forward to at the moment is Pantheon. Personally, if Vanguard was still up and running right now, I would be playing it. It is even very likely, I would not have created an account on MMORPG.com here. As far as Brad McQuaid goes, based on both Everquest 1 and Vanguard, he seems to be the only one likely to develop an MMORPG I will be able to spend at least a few years in once again. I mean reality check, if Pantheon falls through, what else is there to look forward to considering what is available and on the horizon? At that point, then McQuaid can be written off given future endeavors, and I am certain he knows that would be the case. Add to that, if Pantheon is successful, then maybe the genre will finally start heading in a better direction again. Sure, Vanguard had it's issues, but to hold one mistake against the guy is really arrogant. People act as though his mistake was killing their kids or pets or something. I would be more likely to still be pissed at whoever my mohel was image

I tend to agree with your points. We also seem to share similar gaming expectations.

I really had high hopes for EQN but with each news update I become less interested.

I personally am not a fan of combat that is too twitchy or reactive. Of course part of that is due to being a gaming relic now, but so it goes.

As a gamer, given my personal gaming needs, I am much more a fan of McQuaid than I am of Smedley. While I would not entrust Brad to manage my investments, I am a fan of his gaming visions.

I hated Vanguard at release but loved it a year later and continued playing part time for several more years. Other than maybe DAOC, Vanguard offered me the greatest opportunity for playing ALTs that felt unique. This is also one of the reasons I have started following Pantheon.

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO. 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Poll shows DGC is getting what they are shooting for. They said they were making a game to net new people to EQ. That EQ1 and EQ2 would be the game for that type of fan and they didnt want to pull people away from their other games. At this point, I have no clue if thats a good move or bad. As a former EQ1 and EQ2 gamer, I am excited for many things EQN is claiming they are shooting for. Other areas not so much. I am upset its yet another no trinity game and action combat only seems to hold me for so long. I do love Voxel Farms and what that can bring and the AI they are shooting for a world so dynamic that from server to server it wont be the same game.
  • ClywdClywd Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Nope, no interest in I-don't-deserve-the-name:next. Still playing eq1. Waiting for pantheon...

Currently playing: EverQuest
    Waiting for Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Clywd
    Nope, no interest in I-don't-deserve-the-name:next. Still playing eq1. Waiting for pantheon...

You mean that game where devs are working for free because the guy at the top uses development money for his drug habit? Ya I got excited for that game till I spent 5 min reading up on who is making it =-