Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is the community in this game?

2»

Comments

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Community is pretty nice. Just dont say anything bad about the game or they'll jump down your throat like a savage mob.
  • KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    Originally posted by halfmystic
    Originally posted by Caldicot

I have never tried FFXIV but I've been leaning towards it more and more lately. Is it easy to find groups and people to play with? How is the community in general?

Don't let these people above fool you. The community in this game is just as elitist and annoying as WoW's if you want to do the raids, and god forbid if you don't go break-neck speed in the instanced dungeons, unless you want to bring down the wrath of the teenage boy playing a Miqo'te.

The first time I ever had a shitty experience with an MMO's community was with this game. Was in a raid, we wiped ONCE, and the leader kicked out everyone from the raid, crying that we all sucked. Get ready to deal with that BS if you plan to.

If you generally keep to yourself and only speak with your guild? Yeah, good community. Talk to a random person or join a pug dungeon? You're gonna have a bad time.

Every MMO has its bad eggs, but the community in FFXIV leans more towards the tolerant kind than the intolerant one, the exception is when you get to the extreme and FCOB fights (Which are designed with organised groups rather than pugs in mind) so you get the people who cant get into organised groups trying to pug them, which leads to a lot of frustration alongside the kills you do get.

But if you are content to pass your time with the high end stuff but not looking to get into the cutting edge raids then you will find plenty to do and a decent community.

Atleast on Moogle server anyway.  

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Viper482
    Your community will be the FC you choose, other than that no one talks to each other, no one does anything together other than grind fates and pug required dungeons for main story lines. I have done multiple leveling dungeons through the duty finder where we went th entire dungeon without one conversation. It is always a speed run because you are probably the only dude there for the first time lol, the other guys are leveling alts.

Lack of a community does not make for a goods community. Just because I don't have people constantly trolling GC does not mean it is a "good" community.

Um, do you play this game? Because FC is far from the only community tool. Players create Linkshells for every activity you're interested in. You can join multiple linkshells and engage in conversations dedicated to specific aspects of the game or RP or just whatever.

Most of the server socialization comes from Linkshells and if you're not seeking out linkshells for activities you enjoy, then you're not really experiencing the game to its fullest..or its community for that matter.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Folks... come on. Some of you are being rather disingenuous.

I'm a fan of XIV, love the game and have had a lot of fun playing it. So, by no stretch am I a "hater" or whatever.

But some of the people in this thread are trying real hard to downplay the asshattery that takes place in XIV. I see some saying "no one said there aren't any jerks in the game", as a kind of "weasel word" tactic, but come on. Doing that is nothing more than giving one's self an easy "out" when challenged, because they know what they're saying isn't true.

There have been threads upon threads, on here, on the official forums, even on reddit, of people sharing horror stories of their treatment by other players, in dungeons, in world content, etc. etc. People have come right out and proudly declared themselves as being the very a-holes others are describing. I've experienced it more times than I'd like to admit, both personally, and through seeing others being rudely treated.

There's a lot of elitism in this game. There's a lot of obnoxious a-holes who wouldn't know how to behave decently if you gave them step-by-step instructions.

I took a long break from the game after a series of nasty encounters with such people, the final straw being 2 people right in my own FC, on Ventrilo. I'd been trying to get help with Turn 5 of BC, and was very swiftly talked down to, and told that they wouldn't waste their time with training me how to do turn 5, because they don't want to babysit anyone. But that they'd sell me a run if I could cough up a few million gil. This was FC mates, mind you. On Vent. I wasn't asking for a hand-out, and I wanted to earn the win myself. I just needed some help in doing so.. you know... like everyone else needed help getting through it. But no, for that, I was belittled by a pair of elitist pricks.

I've been in multiple runs of end-game content where people left because new players didn't already know exactly how the dungeon went, and exactly what to do - and we're talking storyline dungeons, where you are told there are new players in the group. The folks unleashed a swift barrage of insults to the "shitty noob", among other things, and then dropped out.

I've seen shitty behavior quite often even in the lower level dungeons, when vets are queuing up for "low level roulette", and just want to race through it... bitching at new players who, heaven forbid, haven't done it 100 times like they have.

Chat blows up fairly regularly into BS arguments over stupid crap, with people being jerks to each other.

It's calmed down over time, but for a while, ARR's community was the most toxic I'd ever personally encountered in any MMO,  including the go-to favorite for "bad communities", WoW.

So again... XIV itself is a great game. Its community can be nice, and for the most part, is. But there is definitely a significant % of assholes running around in-game as well, of the trolling type, of the anti-social type, of the condescending elitist type, of the "just plain miserable jerk" type.

Perhaps you don't notice it as much. Perhaps you haven't personally experienced it as much... and that's great. You've been lucky. But do not attempt to argue that it isn't there, or that no one else has, or will, experience it.

It doesn't matter that "other games might be worse", or "all games have their bad apples". You don't excuse bad behavior by pointing to equally bad behavior. A significant portion of FFXIV's community is toxic, and it absolutely is an issue when you're on the receiving end, or when such behavior is disrupting what could otherwise be a good time.

I understand there's this knee-jerk reaction where people want to defend the game they're playing, but the degree to which some are trying to downplay the toxic element in FFXIV's community is just plain dishonest.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by Viper482
    Your community will be the FC you choose, other than that no one talks to each other, no one does anything together other than grind fates and pug required dungeons for main story lines. I have done multiple leveling dungeons through the duty finder where we went th entire dungeon without one conversation. It is always a speed run because you are probably the only dude there for the first time lol, the other guys are leveling alts.

Lack of a community does not make for a goods community. Just because I don't have people constantly trolling GC does not mean it is a "good" community.

Um, do you play this game? Because FC is far from the only community tool. Players create Linkshells for every activity you're interested in. You can join multiple linkshells and engage in conversations dedicated to specific aspects of the game or RP or just whatever.

Most of the server socialization comes from Linkshells and if you're not seeking out linkshells for activities you enjoy, then you're not really experiencing the game to its fullest..or its community for that matter.

Have to agree, for those who are into RP'ing the linkshells are invaluable, also means they don't get interrupted by those who aren't all that much into RP'ing, its also a great method of keeping in touch with friends you make in the game. The other is that while FC's are a great source of information and help, its a 2 way thing, the more effort etc, you put into helping your FC, the more help you tend to receive in return, though i think this really applies to all games guilds/corporations etc etc. kind of obvious i guessimage

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919

Pratt although your experience in your FC was bad I think many people do not want sometimes to spend time teaching or helping others doing some of the turns only to have the person leave the FC. I have seen this argument in my own FC when I was playing. Some guys they helped upped and left after they had them to Turn 9 because they did not want to help train another group. 

So although this may seem bad and this is a bad thing about random folk you meet . No one knows you although you might be sincere you only know that so people risk their time helping you and mind you sometimes this may take hours or days. People do not want to invest. I know it is wrong but time is the one commodity we all have and some are not willing to squander it  in this day and age and people have become more stingy about it.

The harder content will be like this unless you can find people willing to teach you and you will probably meet these types of folk a lot if you want to do this type of content. Harder content means more investment from the people teaching and these people are quite selfish with their time. 

Although I have personally also witnessed many instances of nastiness in dungeons a lot of time the person on the receiving end was warned about their aggro or running off ahead or not waiting or generally not listening then they get a earful. I felt it was warranted and many were just very cocky and refused to listen. I personally have refused to heal some until they were replaced in a dungeon . Some people just argue and argue until they are kicked or are so sure they are irreplaceable as tanks and behave abominably. Also in the places like Syrcus Tower or Crystal Tower the new people just do not read or listen and constantly cause wipes. It goes both ways you  reap what you sow.

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Communities are what you make of it.  With any game, you'll always run into both sides of the spectrum.  Some good, some bad, some in between.  I'd say be social, find some like minded players and play with them often.  They will be your community and will make your gaming experience so much more enjoyable.
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    What community? The global chat is dead, when I join a group I get "hi" and "bye" at best. The non-communication is baffling. I feel like playing a single player game.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Elikal
    What community? The global chat is dead, when I join a group I get "hi" and "bye" at best. The non-communication is baffling. I feel like playing a single player game.

In multiple instances I have joined in since coming back I have found chatty sincere helpful people.

While grinding I have met friendly helpful people who resp[ond to the tells I shoot them to joke about this or that, or to just ask a question.

My FC is full of chatty funny good meaning folks that will go out of their way to help.

Maybe you need to try harder?

Linkshells, people. Linkshells.

Double post

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Well, unless you know the players before you join the group, then expecting jovial banter banter during a dungeon run is a bit unrealistic, I would say.   Thats not what players join groups for.  They do it to complete content and advance.  If there is communication it is most likely going to be voice, I am guessing.

And as for global chat, it has always been my feeling that for effective community, it has to be moderated.    Otherwise it devolves into obnoxious flame wars until everyone finally ignores it.

I have watched this happen with Fallen Earth.   The GM's were constantly modding that channel when I first started, and even I was assessed a few bans because of it.  But I respected that and I learned from it.   And since it was a help channel we were actually able to help players and promote community in a good way, thanks to careful and balanced moderation.

But that is gone now, and what you have is players running amok, spewing nonsense and abuse, spamming and all the rest.  People still try to help but most of it is lost.

People may not like it, but in MMO's today, someone has to be responsible for ensuring that community chat is kept respectable and helpful.    People simply cannot help themselves when it comes to human nature.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!