Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Everquest Next release this year?

2»

Comments

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by Sybsidian

To every piece of trash bad-mouthing landmark, I'd like to remind and point out that when they first released it and also as is their current policy is 100% refund on beta accounts, no questions asked. So every one of you saying you got scammed is a big fat lier. I'm no fan-boy but you are the only one to blame.

As to the question if it comes out or not, It's not coming out this year and with the closure of storybricks and the change to daybreak it's most likley going to be axed or be released in a very bad shape. The company that bought them want a yearly profit from their investment, they are run by old men who know nothing of the changing world of media and technology. They are an investment group called columbus nova which is an affiliate of renova group which is a russian hard assest firm. (oil, ores, utilites, property etc....) 

This company saw one of the stronger(profit wise) profiles of sony and decided to buy into it. They have no interest in changing the world of gaming or trying to advance the current "next gen" A.I technology as it's not a "garrenteed" profit. Instead they want dc universe online to keep pumping out the same profit for the next 20 years..... even tho that does not work.  

Simply put the driving force behind what was going to make Next a ground breaker in the mmo world, (thinking, reacting and moving goal orientated AI world of monsters and npcs) is dead. The idea was far too scary for most companies to mess with cause it's like the introduction of 3D models into the world of video games, which left many companies bankrupt and newer companies turning greater profit then the entire industry years before the event.  So story bricks had to be closed down cause of their current deal with daybreak who had no interest in a more in depth investment which was what was going to happen if the sale was never made. Now we have a game with 1/4 the funding, half the staff and no storybrick company to make what was already a hard job for them to do before all the cuts. 

The world, the lore the goals are still there. but everything is quickly falling out of range of what would have been the next gen breaker, The Ai. Hell.... make as many action mmos or story based or wow clones or sandbox and you are still not going to do ANYTHING that has not already been done and failed. Minecraft turned the gaming world upside down with the "build your world" This was the next gen but we never had a real, rpg world diving game to put it in with. And aside from that the AI in mmos is still garbage. Kill these monsters.... 5 minutes later, 5 months, 5 years they are still respawning there. With Next and storybricks we had a chance to see world change, that monster camp in 5 days might have been a farmers house in 5 weeks a small town in 5 months a city, in 5 years a ruin filled with ghosts. 

Now we need to wait another 2-4 years just to hear people start to think on those lines again. So very very very sad. Not cause it's EQ..... Because it was the next step of gaming, the next step of A.I. The next step of many more needed to make full-dive virtual reality... We are still headed there but we are now a large step backwards.

Bingo

EQN as we know it is dead Jim

Big budget AAA mmos, especially PVE based ones are no longer going to be in development.

Unless someone kickstarts a publisher, not a developer.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by Maquiame

To every piece of trash bad-mouthing landmark, I'd like to remind and point out that when they first released it and also as is their current policy is 100% refund on beta accounts, no questions asked. So every one of you saying you got scammed is a big fat lier. I'm no fan-boy but you are the only one to blame.

As to the question if it comes out or not, It's not coming out this year and with the closure of storybricks and the change to daybreak it's most likley going to be axed or be released in a very bad shape. The company that bought them want a yearly profit from their investment, they are run by old men who know nothing of the changing world of media and technology. They are an investment group called columbus nova which is an affiliate of renova group which is a russian hard assest firm. (oil, ores, utilites, property etc....) 

This company saw one of the stronger(profit wise) profiles of sony and decided to buy into it. They have no interest in changing the world of gaming or trying to advance the current "next gen" A.I technology as it's not a "garrenteed" profit. Instead they want dc universe online to keep pumping out the same profit for the next 20 years..... even tho that does not work.  

Simply put the driving force behind what was going to make Next a ground breaker in the mmo world, (thinking, reacting and moving goal orientated AI world of monsters and npcs) is dead. The idea was far too scary for most companies to mess with cause it's like the introduction of 3D models into the world of video games, which left many companies bankrupt and newer companies turning greater profit then the entire industry years before the event.  So story bricks had to be closed down cause of their current deal with daybreak who had no interest in a more in depth investment which was what was going to happen if the sale was never made. Now we have a game with 1/4 the funding, half the staff and no storybrick company to make what was already a hard job for them to do before all the cuts. 

The world, the lore the goals are still there. but everything is quickly falling out of range of what would have been the next gen breaker, The Ai. Hell.... make as many action mmos or story based or wow clones or sandbox and you are still not going to do ANYTHING that has not already been done and failed. Minecraft turned the gaming world upside down with the "build your world" This was the next gen but we never had a real, rpg world diving game to put it in with. And aside from that the AI in mmos is still garbage. Kill these monsters.... 5 minutes later, 5 months, 5 years they are still respawning there. With Next and storybricks we had a chance to see world change, that monster camp in 5 days might have been a farmers house in 5 weeks a small town in 5 months a city, in 5 years a ruin filled with ghosts. 

Now we need to wait another 2-4 years just to hear people start to think on those lines again. So very very very sad. Not cause it's EQ..... Because it was the next step of gaming, the next step of A.I. The next step of many more needed to make full-dive virtual reality... We are still headed there but we are now a large step backwards.

Bingo

EQN as we know it is dead Jim

Big budget AAA mmos, especially PVE based ones are no longer going to be in development.

Unless someone kickstarts a publisher, not a developer.

BRAVO! Could not have been said better. Can we get this posted on the main page of the site and every single other site for that matter. Maybe then a developer and publisher will finally know what to come out with.

These devs and publishers should be working on a first person MMO using the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive RIGHT NOW. It should be about 2-4 years but more like 5 to have a fully polished MMO ready to release and by then the Rift and Vive will be out for about 2-3. That would be thinking ahead of the curve, but no instead we are going even more than a "large step backwards". We are going like 40 steps backwards and even back in time to 1997 with the advent of MOBAs aka Mildly Online Boring Asynchronus games. Not to mention graphics 1 step above Diablo II. It really is sad, the state of MMOs just makes me shake my head. ESO, GW2, and FFXIV is the best we will having gonig for us for the next 5 years most likely. 

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by Aelious

This is just untrue.  I think you've mistaken the bulk of SoE with those specifically working on EQN, or Landmark for that matter.  About half the company was let go but the context is that a lot of what SoE did previously didn't have to do with games and Daybreak is now a video game company.  It's natural those non-game positions would be cut.  Did each title get hit with losses? Yep, but to say that most working on EQN were let go is just not the case, unless you have proof to back that up.

Where do you get this stuff from?  SOE was most certainly a game company and everyone let go was in some way related to games. 

Obviously they were not all developers that were let go, but we know from people with inside sources that revs were certainly let got along with many others like testers, support and almost all the contractors who are developers/artists/etch.  Those positions don't have to be reported.

The best I've heard is that EQ/EQ2 took it the hardest and their team sizes are roughly half a dozen and a dozen respectively and EQN was slashed the least.   What that means could be anything, but we know cuts were deep and no one was left untouched.

The reality is your can't half the company and not cut deep into the biggest team.  The only issue of debate is how deep the cuts were, but they must have been deep.   

I'm curious why you think SOE was one of Sonys most profitable divisions?

Last year SOE posted a $60 million write off for Sony.  There have been massive game closures and several rounds of layoffs in the multiple hundreds of employees the last several years.

Sony is selling off their money losing divisions , not their most profitable.  Columbus Nova most likely saw a division that could be slashed and run lean while turning a small profit and maybe... maybe ports some existing games or finish development of some projects.  maybe even sell off some of the assets.

As others have stated, EQN was soft released as landmark.  What daybreak does after seeing how it was received is anyone guess, but seeing their deep silence I suspect they are rapidly trying to make changes.

SOE was always good at hyping games prior to release and I am sure they will find some way to put a positive spin on EQN being Landmark with some systems bolted onto it.  Though I am afraid to see the results.

Best case scenario is they say the game will not recess in 2015 or 2016 and some experienced developers fro outside the company to take over the team and make changes as necessary. 

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10
    Originally posted by MoreOfTheSame

simple question, will it come this year, are there any relevant news or rumors,  time frame for release?

what is the latest news on status of EQN?

Have faith, is all I can say.  If Smed said it's coming out, then you can probably bank on it.

Is this sarcasm? I can't tell anymore.

Smed is a serial liar.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

No geographical world to speak of.

No real "AI" to speak off (remember they are bringing that inside)

Thousands of NPC's and mobs that have to be created and placed (and pathing)

No signs that character class development is beyond "power point" sales pitch stage.. 

2015 did NOT start off with a bang, in fact it started off with a big sucking sound of jobs and development heading down the drain..  To watch that committee dev video shortly after the DGC buyout was painful.. It was like watching for someone pleading for their life to not pull the cord..   TRUST US!!..  We really are trying to make a game worthy of all your money.. lol   I would be surprised if EQN ever launches, and totally shocked if it does so before 2017.. 

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Sure.

Also Half-Life 3 !

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Originally posted by Daffid011

Last year SOE posted a $60 million write off for Sony.  There have been massive game closures and several rounds of layoffs in the multiple hundreds of employees the last several years.

Sony is selling off their money losing divisions , not their most profitable.  Columbus Nova most likely saw a division that could be slashed and run lean while turning a small profit and maybe... maybe ports some existing games or finish development of some projects.  maybe even sell off some of the assets.

For anyone that didnt catch it, the 60M write off was the development cost of all the games that had not yet been published. SOE took the write off to lower the cost of SOE. This was all part of the sale.

• Fractal_AnalogyFractal_Analogy Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by Superman0X
    Originally posted by Daffid011

For anyone that didnt catch it, the 60M write off was the development cost of all the games that had not yet been published. SOE took the write off to lower the cost of SOE. This was all part of the sale.

Correct, the $60 million write-off was for SOE (& all it's assets). Which is now Daybreak Game Company still run by John Smedley.