Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your all-time favorite MMORPG game?

Comments

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Drakephire

I'm still partial to Earth and Beyond. An MMO that had an actual Explorer class.

Of the more widely known MMOs, I'd say EQ1 was pretty special. I STILL have the game loaded on my PC, and play it a few times a year even though I've moved on to the newer generation of MMOs.

As for PvP, I'd say WWII Online is my favorite all time MMO. Pure skill, no gear grind or FotM builds.

Always nice to meet another fan!   I haven't run into any other MMO that had the same sort of "vibe" that E and B had.  It created a world that was fun but dangerous at the same time.

Hard to put a finger on it, but it had something that made it unique IMO.   Definitely a class MMO that deserved a better fate.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by ashe59
    sniff ....i miss my doomsayer in shadowbane

Light armor Rogue Barbarian here. I miss SB, too. Incredible game, even with the endless bugs. :) 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

Knight Online World

It's the only game that kept me for over 5 years. Honorable mention goes to Guild Wars 2 and The Realm Online. Guild Wars 2 is a great game, but not quite the experience I had in Knight Online.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by razmoduck

I have my own favorites, but maybe you could toss in your own suggestions in this thread and also lets have a vote on it here:

http://www.rkursem.com/poll/view.php?id=69cc485bf3e2efcb9

Without a doubt Asheron's Call.  And no other game comes remotely close.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

City of Heroes and Swtor.

With TSW, Neverwinter and ESO as runnerups.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• LucziferLuczifer Member UncommonPosts: 155

EverQuest 1 ------------still best but graphics

Also EQ2, LoTRO before Moria, Fallen Earth & TSW

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    World of Warcraft

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine

Great combination of gameplay and community.  Western localization closed.  Still running in Japan.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    If WoW never existed it would probably be ESO or DAoC, but I'd have to say WoW.
  • Ravenhill99Ravenhill99 Member UncommonPosts: 25

Ultima Online

Everquest

World of Warcraft (Vanilla)

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

Anarchy Online before cash shops and stuff ,awesome game

honorable mention today goes to : Vanilla WoW , RP world PvP done right.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• Starchild771Starchild771 Member Posts: 3

Anarchy Online.

Because..

The atmosphere, music and scifi setting.

I Joined my first (and favourite) guild.

The hours spent  farming mats and then trying to  get high level implants in.

The community.

Leets.

• xaritscinxaritscin Member UncommonPosts: 350

fantasy wise: WoW, dont play it anymore (got bored of it over time) but i love the IP and follow it in spirit

sci-fi wise: EVE, cannot play it due to not having money(no, PLEX is too expensive now for earning it with isk) so i follow it in spirit too

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

SWG

• RedAlert539RedAlert539 Member UncommonPosts: 115

City of Heroes.

It was the first and is still the best. Although i should mention Swtor too since it's the only other MMO, aside from CoH, that i can measure the time i sticked around in years and not months or days.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

This is a really easy one for me.

Winner: City of Heroes

Runner-up: The Secret World

<3

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
  • Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

Sandbox:

SWG: The best balance between combat / crafting / social MMO ever done. My favorite MMO by a long shot.

Thempark

Wow: I loved Vanilla Wow and TBC. After that Blizzard decided it was time to start the dumbing down to what we have today.

• Temp0Temp0 Member UncommonPosts: 92
    FFXI for me.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    SWG, at this point I'd even take the NGE.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• doodeskaderdoodeskader Member UncommonPosts: 32

Pve :     Ferentus

PvP :     Ferentus

Its my nr1. http://www.freemmorpglist.com/Ferentus-mmorpg.html

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by Greymantle4

Sandbox:

SWG: The best balance between combat / crafting / social MMO ever done. My favorite MMO by a long shot.

Thempark

Wow: I loved Vanilla Wow and TBC. After that Blizzard decided it was time to start the dumbing down to what we have today.

I think a lot of people forgot about the social part of SWG that made it what we remember.  All the other stuff was great, but it really boiled down to how social the game was at the heart of it.  The combat queue was amazing.  You could actually type and fight at the same time.

Unlike modern day games in general in regards to the whole DPS meters etc that people run and games have built in to make sure you are focused on your timings and rotation.  Phew.  Forget these modern day games.

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    UO a game we will never experience again.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

Everquest and City of Heroes are my two favorites.

If you want a poll, put it on this site.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• TacticalWTacticalW Member UncommonPosts: 3

UO big time got me to favor sandbox, WoW was just something epic back in lvl60 cap days, Helbreath USA for the faction vs faction, politics and great community and DarkFall 1.0 for combining skill-based stuff I was coming to love with sandbox mmo, then Tera because it was gorgeous and high on the action. 

My silly vision of the perfect mmorpg today would be combining Dark Souls-esque difficulty into an mmorpg and with it being just as responsive. Maybe not the exact gameplay but damn Tera did it well. 

My 2nd silly dream is a perfect mainstream SAO game but I think everyone who watched it had a similar wish.

I didn't know it was included but PlanetSide and WW2 online were also wonderful experiences for me. I have a lot on my list but I have been around the block per se imo. Each one I enjoyed greatly.