Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trinity is still the superior combat mechanic, by a large margin.

Comments

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Originally posted by Malabooga
    Originally posted by Kiyoris

EQ is lready remembered as very clumsy attempt at the game.

Yes, a game that is 16 year old and still going, a game that got multiple game rewards, a game that had more players at it's peak that 99% of the MMO currently out.

Good job showing how much you know about MMO.

99%? lol

let me see.

WoW

L1

L2

GW2

SWTOR

TERA

Aion

FFXIV

Good job, they're all trinity MMO based on EQ, except for GW2.

Thanks for proving our point.

Btw, you do realise that all of WoW's main creators were former EQ players right?

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977

EQ is lready remembered as very clumsy attempt at the game.

Yes, a game that is 16 year old and still going, a game that got multiple game rewards, a game that had more players at it's peak that 99% of the MMO currently out.

Good job showing how much you know about MMO.

99%? lol

let me see.

WoW

L1

L2

GW2

SWTOR

TERA

Aion

FFXIV

Good job, they're all trinity MMO based on EQ, except for GW2.

Thanks for proving our point.

And? Where has anyone denied trinty is most prevalent lol. I myself pointed out quite a few times trinity "works" because its super simplistic (but that is also its major flaw), and if any MMO want to advance the genre it needs to rethink a lot of things, trinity included (just like GW2 did, they are pioneers in more than 1 area, and guess what? also WoW vanilla devs descendants)

Btw, you do realise that all of WoW's main creators were former EQ players right?

yup, they just removed obvious flaws of EQ at launch and less obvious during the years.

I myself pointed out quite a few times trinity "works" because its super simplistic (but that is also its major flaw),

Yes, "super siimplistic"...laughable.

You know who was WoW's creative designer?

He's called Alex Afrasiabi, he had the nickname "Furor".

Know what EQ guild he was in? Fires of Heaven.

Know why that guild folded? Because EQ was too hard for them to handle around Gates of Discord and their guild folded.

In one of your action MMO, they'd just buy some kind of potion in the MMO cash shop and revive.

I myself pointed out quite a few times trinity "works" because its super simplistic (but that is also its major flaw),

Yes, "super siimplistic"...laughable.

You know who was WoW's creative designer?

He's called Alex Afrasiabi, he had the nickname "Furor".

Know what EQ guild he was in? Fires of Heaven.

Know why that guild folded? Because EQ was too hard for them to handle around Gates of Discord and their guild folded.

In one of your action MMO, they'd just buy some kind of potion in the MMO cash shop and revive.

"The introduction of this expansion in early 2004 was beset by numerous serious quality issues. John Smedley, President of Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) has described the release of this expansion as "SOE's worst mistake in five years".

Noone likes POS. In your "action mmo" you wouldnt get pos.

And he was quest designer in 2004. ironic really

But, i guess, imaginary arugments are you strenght.

nm
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

*Justin Bieber fans: 40,000,000

*Edith Piaf fans: 32,000

Obviously Justin Bieber is the better singer!

Who said it was better? It's just the most preferred. As a result, there's money in booking Madison Square Garden for a Bieber performance, whereas booking it for Piaf (had she not died a year before MSG opened) wouldn't have made much financial sense. 

It's only you that's going on about anything being 'superior'. Almost everyone else is just saying there are different choices. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

In your "action mmo" you wouldnt get pos.

Yes, action MMO are flawless.

ArcheAge has no flaws......

I won't argue with you further, your arguments are ridiculous.

flawless:

I won'g argue with you further, your arguments are ridiculous.

AA is not "action MMO" rofl

And the only one mentioning AA is you

I won'g argue with you further, your arguments are ridiculous.

AA is not "action MMO" rofl

It's a non-trinity game, in fact the designer has mentioned his DISLIKE for trinity several times.

It's a game with button mashing.

To me, that's action MMO.

Not surprisingly, this results in player complaints, because people can't play a WELL DEFINED ROLE... such as in trinity

hey look, non-trinity games have a flawed combat system where speccing a role except for DPS doesn't work..SHOCKER

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,337

So yeah, MMOs Bieber caused MMOs michelin star and edit piaf to vanish.

Ok, have fun in your button mashing action MMO then. When those games get any form of community, let us know.

Thank you, community is better than in any "old school" game, can you imagine, people hang out now because they WANT to not because they HAVE to.

Im sorry that you cant find anyone that wants to hang out with you, but thats not really games problem.

This deserves a image.

Forced friends aren't real friends. Real friends stay with you because they enjoy your company, and not because they need to to kill some boss so they can get loot.

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Intel Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

Not really, in fact ArcheAge was going to be amazing according to this forum. It was going to show how amazing a non-trinity game would be.

It had a massive budget and massive fanbase before release.

The designer used the same arguments as you, trinity was outdated, EQ is stupid, bla bla bla.

The game came out, and it fell flat on it's face like a pancake. Complaints about the gameplay, complaints about lack of community, etc etc etc

Sounds familiar?

There are games with action combat that are ok as a game onto it's own. But don't pretend like these games that can barely muster a community, with small scale raiding, without class interdependence, are somehow worthy of the MMORPG title, because they're not. They are console game with a watered down combat system and watered down zerg raids.

Btw, 20 ppl is not a RAID.

100+ people with a designed tank, designated healers, designated roles.

THAT is a raid. It's a well oiled machine that works and took time to build and takes time to maintain. And that's what EQ had.

So excuse us if we think that current action MMO that play like watered down versions of hello kitty online, are not MMO.

Not really, in fact ArcheAge was going to be amazing according to this forum. It was going to show how amazing a non-trinity game would be.

It had a massive budget and massive fanbase before release.

The designer used the same arguments as you, trinity was outdated, EQ is stupid, bla bla bla.

The game came out, and it fell flat on it's face like a pancake. Complaints about the gameplay, complaints about lack of community, etc etc etc

Sounds familiar?

There are games with action combat that are ok as a game onto it's own. But don't pretend like these games that can barely muster a community, with small scale raiding, without class interdependence, are somehow worthy of the MMORPG title, because they're not. They are console game with a watered down combat system and watered down zerg raids.

Oh my gosh, peoplecomplaining about a game on forums. Quick, get the media.

Most complained MMO in the world is WoW. Its much worse than anything AA related.

And EQ saw crapton of complaining 1999-2004. In 2004> theres only few people left to complain about it lol

And stop with the community thingy, because youre just ranting nonsense by now, youve been told how it is already, do i need to quote myself every time you go on a rant lol

Oh and same "bitter vets" proclaimed AA will be awesome. With same blinders and same nostalgia like you have for EQ lol

Don't blame your ineptitude to socialize when not forced to on the game. The problem is between your chair and keyboard, not in the game mechanics.

GW2, for instance, has a better community than WoW, notably because the game mechanics encourage people to play together and not against each other like in the EQ/WoW "loot whore" progression model.

If you need people to be forced to endure you by game mechanics, maybe you should rethink your way with people, and not blame the games. And considering the tone you use in your posts here and how you treat others who happen to enjoy different games, I'm not surprised that you have problems making acquaintances when the game doesn't force others to group with you.

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Intel Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

What amazing MMO Malaboga do you play? What amazing non-trinity combat system it must have.

Which MMO is it?

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Don't blame your ineptitude to socialize when not forced to on the game. The problem is between your chair and keyboard, not in the game mechanics.

Prove it then. Don't be all talk.

Put your money where your mouth is.

Show me something of a current action MMO where there is a community.

Let's see those examples then.

Show me a trading post like in EQ:

show me a mass group buff where the community gathers:

show me a 100 man  PoP raid:

*crickets*

The blunt fact is that action MMO don't have good communities.

They are watered down MMO, often barely MMO.

They have no interdependence amongst classes, and therefore you don't depend on others and have no reason to bond.

People are so busy mashing buttons they barely have time to say hi to one another.

You have easymode solo mode in those MMO and the lack of community is a common complaint.

Everyone knows it, even the people playing them.

dude, youre just ranting by now

If your point is that GW2 raids are zerg raids where people spam attacks without any strategy or cooperation. I agree with you.

Your answer is irrelevant to what I have said, which is that if you need the game to force people to endure you, the problem doesn't come from the game.

This said I have several screenshots of the trade area in Lion's Arch in GW2 with more people on screen than in your old EQ screenshots. About the 100 man raid, one just has to attend the world bosses to see that. I'm at work, I'll post it later when I'm back home.

Oh, and by the way, a crowd doesn't mean a community. It just means a lot of strangers on the same screen. That's true for any game, be it EQ or GW2 or WoW or any other. Community is built by making friends who enjoy your company and whose company you enjoy, and not from buying some rusted sword or killing some boss for loot. And friends who aren't forced to be your friends to get some loot are true friends, while most others in the "EQ/WoW raid for Loot" model are just using you to achieve their own goals.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 2,649
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Prove it then. Don't be all talk.

Put your money where your mouth is.

Show me something of a current action MMO where there is a community.

Let's see those examples then.

Show me a trading post like in EQ:

show me a mass group buff where the community gathers:

show me a 100 man  PoP raid:

So if someone posts screenshots of a mass of characters crowding around in game will you be convinced that good communities also exist in the mmos which you have broadly lumped together as  all Korean/Asian games and games with action combat?

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

This must have been in Guild Wars 2, and I dread to think this is the future of MMO. There might be some ambiguity about what is considered /zerging/ but your example would fit that bill.

I have to agree with Kiyoris. When we did Sendaii in Everquest, we weren't running back and forth, spamming abilitiy after ability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGZ6XvbzCLA

Originally posted by Waterlily

This must have been in Guild Wars 2, and I dread to think this is the future of MMO. There might be some ambiguity about what is considered /zerging/ but your example would fit that bill.

I have to agree with Kiyoris. When we did Sendaii in Everquest, we weren't running back and forth, spamming abilitiy after ability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGZ6XvbzCLA

I agree, by anything being a zerg (your claim) EQ was just one big zerg.

If your point is that GW2 raids are zerg raids where people spam attacks without any strategy or cooperation. I agree with you.

You mean just like EQ?

You see how not intelligent you sound.