Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Official Forum Discussion - To Node or not to Node

SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

Basically a discussion on how to handle harvesting.

Nodes are the simplest way to handle it and I dont really mind it BUT I would like to see at least an attempt on another way. Preferably similar to UO... WIth the addition of group harvesting like Vanguard. Group member within a certain distance share harvested materials.

Comments

• blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259

I'm not familiar with UO's way, and I don't necessarily have anything against nodes either. But I would like it if they could maybe try something else for this though. Maybe for some resources they could have "pools" instead of node, where it's more rewarding to harvest in groups of players than in solo?

What I certainly want though is for "group harvesting" to be in the game.  I'm not sure what you refer too with "Group member within a certain distance share harvested materials" , but just to add to it, all group members should be actively working on the same node (or pool)  to get their share, not just be hanging around the guy that harvests.. 

Rewards (more materials, more chance of rare materials,etc.), should increase the more there are players working to make this activity more profitable as a group, encouraging harvesters to get together.

They should also try to make it fun too. Not just a simple click and wait until the animation ends to get the mats. Maybe they can put some kind of minigame, puzzles or QTE  or anything really, where each member of the group has to do his part. These "games" could also be different depending on what you are harvesting and the rewards should be in relation to the time it takes to complete this mini game.

An example might be something like a little game of cutting down trees with a big saw, as a duo of players. Both players should get the correct rythm in order to have a constant progression (both can't pull at the same time,etc.). "Events" could come up (a not, a broken blade tooth or something) that could warrant more or less work for one of the guys (or both),etc.

Ok, I admit not much thought was put into my example.. and I can already here people screaming that it would be fun once or twice but could end up being a drag in the end.. but they could also make it possible to do an "automated harvest" (same as what there currently is in most game), with a lot less goods in the end (very little resources, only basic one with very limited chance of rares).

Anyways, I'm no game designer (thank god eh?!), but they should employ their talent into making harvesting something fun, and something that, like the rest of the game, should be more rewarding as a group than in a solo.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

HOw about in addition to nodes that everyone can bang on.  You could have certain mob types that drop resource maps.  Maps work like treasure maps in Darkfall.  If you have the map equipped  and double click it,it pings your mini map with a flashing ring around its edges, the closer you get the faster it pings if your going the wrong direction completely the ring around your mini map turns red, if your going the right directly its green.  When your on top of the resource it blinks like mad.  Then grab your tool and harvest that spot and boom crap ton of mats along with rare mats.

You could also sell these resource maps to other players.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by blastermaster

I'm not familiar with UO's way, and I don't necessarily have anything against nodes either. But I would like it if they could maybe try something else for this though. Maybe for some resources they could have "pools" instead of node, where it's more rewarding to harvest in groups of players than in solo?

What I certainly want though is for "group harvesting" to be in the game.  I'm not sure what you refer too with "Group member within a certain distance share harvested materials" , but just to add to it, all group members should be actively working on the same node (or pool)  to get their share, not just be hanging around the guy that harvests.. 

Rewards (more materials, more chance of rare materials,etc.), should increase the more there are players working to make this activity more profitable as a group, encouraging harvesters to get together.

They should also try to make it fun too. Not just a simple click and wait until the animation ends to get the mats. Maybe they can put some kind of minigame, puzzles or QTE  or anything really, where each member of the group has to do his part. These "games" could also be different depending on what you are harvesting and the rewards should be in relation to the time it takes to complete this mini game.

An example might be something like a little game of cutting down trees with a big saw, as a duo of players. Both players should get the correct rythm in order to have a constant progression (both can't pull at the same time,etc.). "Events" could come up (a not, a broken blade tooth or something) that could warrant more or less work for one of the guys (or both),etc.

Ok, I admit not much thought was put into my example.. and I can already here people screaming that it would be fun once or twice but could end up being a drag in the end.. but they could also make it possible to do an "automated harvest" (same as what there currently is in most game), with a lot less goods in the end (very little resources, only basic one with very limited chance of rares).

Anyways, I'm no game designer (thank god eh?!), but they should employ their talent into making harvesting something fun, and something that, like the rest of the game, should be more rewarding as a group than in a solo.

In UO all you had to do to mine ore was walk up to a cliff side / cave side and start hitting it with a pickaxe.. Even large boulders sometimes had a little ore to give. The ore in the mountain would regenerate over time. 

Now since there would be no single node for multiple people to beat on like in VG to increase the nodes yield players would have to be within a certain distance from each other to share materials. Lets say that distance is 15 game meters so as long as the players mining / lumberjacking stay within that range they would share what is gained. In the end giving much more materials than if they were alone just like VG. Another difference would be that they wouldnt have to switch off taking turns looting as the materials would be sent to their backpack automatically as they harvest.

Another bit I liked from VG was that higher quality harvesting tools gave larger yields of materials.

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

I would like to see a variety of harvesting mechanics, something between Rift, EQ, EQ2 and Vanguard.

Nodes for things nodes make sense for, dropped items when it makes sense and butchering when it makes sense.

What I don't want to see is a generic forage button or a one size fits all solution that requires being in a group to farm common tradeskill components. Most groups are not going to wait around while a character runs off to harvest a node or stops to butcher the kills.

This is not saying I don't support crafting drops in dungeons or raids. I do support higher tier crafting drops in both areas, capable of being used to create more effective items. I just don't want that to be the only way to advance crafting. 

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

Like I said on Pantheon forums, I like variety, as long as its properly balanced risk vs reward.  I don't want crafting to provide players with an easy means of solo item progression.  How thats done and whether crafting materials come from a node or from materials dropped off mobs is not of great importance to me.

In the end, whatever feels more real and lets me feel like I'm interacting with the world rather than a video game client.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Personally, I like EQ1 where crafting resources were dropped as loot. Like for smithing you would have to farm certain mobs in order to get certain pieces of ore. There were no harvesting nodes.
    --------------------------------------------
  • RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by Wellspring
    Personally, I like EQ1 where crafting resources were dropped as loot. Like for smithing you would have to farm certain mobs in order to get certain pieces of ore. There were no harvesting nodes.

Not a good way of doing things if done exlusivly this way.
     While i don't mind some ressources dropped by mobs, i do enjoy taking a break from killing stuff and actually love hitting a rock with a pick.

Gathering like UO did, or close to what landmark does currently, is actually fun. More fun then grinding mobs for crafting, by far.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

I'm finding that I really like the abstract gathering and crafting system that Neverwinter uses.  There are resources that you find via kits and chests, with very few actual loot drops from mobs.  Most of the resources that are used are harvested abstractly by sending crafting 'minions' out to do some gathering.  These occur independently of the character / player, and take from 10 minutes to hours.  Far, far more of the materials that I use (so far), come from these crafting tasks that I simply fire-and-forget, while I play along.

As a crafting system, it works.  Maybe not for every game, but it certainly works for Neverwinter.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• NiienNiien Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Originally posted by Mendel

I'm finding that I really like the abstract gathering and crafting system that Neverwinter uses.  There are resources that you find via kits and chests, with very few actual loot drops from mobs.  Most of the resources that are used are harvested abstractly by sending crafting 'minions' out to do some gathering.  These occur independently of the character / player, and take from 10 minutes to hours.  Far, far more of the materials that I use (so far), come from these crafting tasks that I simply fire-and-forget, while I play along.

As a crafting system, it works.  Maybe not for every game, but it certainly works for Neverwinter.

Mendel, do you think that that there might be any relation to liking the "fire and forget" gathering method since there is literally no work/time involved to gather mats? Honest question here, not trying to be rude.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

That "abstract" crafting system sounds like a solo players dream.  Do not want.

Gathering materials to craft should be as hard as getting dropped gear if what players produce is even going to be relevant.  Obviously if a player is a dedicated crafter, they can turn a profit on their wares to buy more materials without having to personally farm them, but raising that capital too should be a challenging endeavor.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by Dullahan

That "abstract" crafting system sounds like a solo players dream.  Do not want.

Gathering materials to craft should be as hard as getting dropped gear if what players produce is even going to be relevant.  Obviously if a player is a dedicated crafter, they can turn a profit on their wares to buy more materials without having to personally farm them, but raising that capital too should be a challenging endeavor.

So you are saying that a person grinding up their crafting skill to make items is easier than going out and killing a monster for an item? SMH. Get a clue please.

• ArtificeVenatusArtificeVenatus Member UncommonPosts: 1,236
    edited September 2015

Post edited by ArtificeVenatus on