Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1 and a half years, and sitll cant play on any server,

UzidukeUziduke Member UncommonPosts: 110

I decided to re sub to play with my friends.

This game is 1 and a half years old and all the servers are still not open to make a new character.

This is so lame, I cant play with my friends and the game is so empty now, couldn't even find a group to do a lv 32 dungeon and the main cities are so empty.

I guess WoW is still the only good themepark out there.  

Something Awful this way comes.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Don't try to make an avatar on the weekend.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • BoldynBoldyn Member Posts: 265

So...you couldn't join your friends server because it is full and you are therefor on a low pop server claiming the game is so empty

I wonder what would happen if you wanted to create a character on a full server in any other game out there...oh that's right, the very same thing.

How exactly, does your lack of comprehension make wow the only good themepark out there?

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

Its not empty....if you're playing a dps class, you're looking at, at least a 30+ min wait time to do regular storyline dungeons. But once you get to level 50 and start doing the higher end dungeons its roughly around 20+min wait time. That being said, playing a tank or healing class there's almost no downtime whatsoever. At most its about a 5 min wait time for those classes, otherwise its instant dungeon group.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

I tried joining a WoW server, but was in a 12k player queue. Who is gonna wait 12+ hours to get on a server? I'd be asleep by then.

WoW is over 10 years old, and I still can't play on that server.

So I tried a low pop server, but it was really dead...I saw no people in cities or anything.

Guess FFXIV is the only good MMO out there.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    I'm confused.  You're both at the same time claiming that the servers are full and not allowing you to make a new characters... and at the same time claiming that the server you are playing on is empty?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

The game is far from empty and the dungeon que problem has been there a long time,it was thee when i played.

Simple reason is anything that is not end game will only be done by new players or old ones making new accounts.18 months later you can't expect ANY game to have lots of NEW players on every serve ready to do old content.You mention WOW?I can tell you last time i played Wow the starting zones were completely barren,i still remember the exact number of players i saw in a week of playing >>>>7.At least one of those 7 was a high level just wandering through noob zones on a horse asking for new guild members.So ya Wow is completely dead unless end game.

If you want to do a dungeon you will need to get in a Linkshell,that is what i had to do,otherwise also what i had to do was just que and wait,it might take 2-3 days but not like you can't do other stuff while waiting.Yes this is a problem with EVERY game,players rush away from old content as fast as possible.

As to lock on severs,i simply don't know,when i joined even 4 months after the re-release it was booming and there was no server lock,only the choice between Legacy or not.

If you want a REAL game experience and different than the rest,play FFXI,you can solo almost everything except end game now and has more ideas and content than Wow+FFXIV put together.Big difference FFXI is lots of work but still casual meaning you can do whatever on your time.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

I hope they increase server cap. I miss the game and im waiting for the expansion release to come back to the game.

When Heavensward launches its going to be painful to even look at the server list.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by Uziduke

This game is 1 and a half years old and all the servers are still not open to make a new character.

This is so lame, I cant play with my friends and the game is so empty now, couldn't even find a group to do a lv 32 dungeon and the main cities are so empty.

I just made a new character last night.

So let's see, it was a Sunday night and I created the character around 11:30 pm eastern time.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Wizardry

The game is far from empty and the dungeon que problem has been there a long time,it was thee when i played.

Simple reason is anything that is not end game will only be done by new players or old ones making new accounts.18 months later you can't expect ANY game to have lots of NEW players on every serve ready to do old content.You mention WOW?I can tell you last time i played Wow the starting zones were completely barren,i still remember the exact number of players i saw in a week of playing >>>>7.At least one of those 7 was a high level just wandering through noob zones on a horse asking for new guild members.So ya Wow is completely dead unless end game.

If you want to do a dungeon you will need to get in a Linkshell,that is what i had to do,otherwise also what i had to do was just que and wait,it might take 2-3 days but not like you can't do other stuff while waiting.Yes this is a problem with EVERY game,players rush away from old content as fast as possible.

As to lock on severs,i simply don't know,when i joined even 4 months after the re-release it was booming and there was no server lock,only the choice between Legacy or not.

If you want a REAL game experience and different than the rest,play FFXI,you can solo almost everything except end game now and has more ideas and content than Wow+FFXIV put together.Big difference FFXI is lots of work but still casual meaning you can do whatever on your time.

The worst queues I've seen for lowbie dungeons was right after ninja was added and even then it was only like 45 minutes and it's much lower now except perhaps if you're queueing in the early am.  Vets run lowbie dungeons all the time either for daily roulette or to level another class... they just queue for it rather than going to the starter cities and try and yell for a group like the OP seems to expect people to do.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Empty games don't lock down servers.

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723

The servers are so filled you cant make a character AND its simultaneously empty? Wow. You ccouldnt have failed harder. As for the cities being empty this is something I've had to come to terms with. Unlike others MMOs, people actually DO stuff in AAR instead of sitting around main cities all day. If you dont like doing stuff go sit in another city in another game.

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030

The server system being full is registered players, it does not mean current playing population or even subscribed players.

A player that is on a server that hasn't played for a year, is still counted to that servers full rating.  Which is why if you come back after a long break you're still on that server, no matter how busy of "full" it is.

To use an analogy, it's like a restaurant that is half empty having a full sign based on people phoning in and ordering a table without paying anything.

The only way you can get on is when other players server swap off the one you want or when RMT or botters are banned, the server opens up the slot from that person swapping late at night.

Jut throwing a little common sense into the thread.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by scorpex-x
    Originally posted by Uziduke I decided to re sub to play with my friends. This game is 1 and a half years old and all the servers are still not open to make a new character. This is so lame, I cant play with my friends and the game is so empty now, couldn't even find a group to do a lv 32 dungeon and the main cities are so empty. I guess WoW is still the only good themepark out there.  

The server system being full is registered players, it does not mean current playing population or even subscribed players.

A player that is on a server that hasn't played for a year, is still counted to that servers full rating.  Which is why if you come back after a long break you're still on that server, no matter how busy of "full" it is.

To use an analogy, it's like a restaurant that is half empty having a full sign based on people phoning in and ordering a table without paying anything.

The only way you can get on is when other players server swap off the one you want or when RMT or botters are banned, the server opens up the slot from that person swapping late at night.

lol no thats not how it works. Nice try though. April fools?

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

You probably remembered me or someone else saying this a long time ago.  This is no longer the case, and I believe it was a rumor to begin with.  In truth, the game now appropriately detects the server's capacity and allows character creation based on such.  This is why it's impossible to get on during the weekends, and easier to do such in the early morning.  Also why you get more Gil spam during the early morning on frequently full servers since they are able to create characters.  In addition, they typically ban in waves to maximize effectiveness, and not on individual cases (when it comes to RMT).  This would mean that there would only be one time every few weeks when spots will be open, if it was on a per character basis.  You also see this when there seems to be less people in a city or when there is no line to enter the game.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

You probably remembered me or someone else saying this a long time ago.  This is no longer the case, and I believe it was a rumor to begin with.  In truth, the game now appropriately detects the server's capacity and allows character creation based on such.  This is why it's impossible to get on during the weekends, and easier to do such in the early morning.  Also why you get more Gil spam during the early morning on frequently full servers since they are able to create characters.  In addition, they typically ban in waves to maximize effectiveness, and not on individual cases (when it comes to RMT).  This would mean that there would only be one time every few weeks when spots will be open, if it was on a per character basis.  You also see this when there seems to be less people in a city or when there is no line to enter the game.

Not at all, it's a very common idea that players state because they want it to be true.  GW2 players said the same when it was proven not to be true (the devs announced how it worked) it's a very common misconception.  I remember GW2 players would state the server says full so it's full of people 24/7 lol, you would go online and most all the zones would be barren.  The only time a full rating goes down is when people get banned, server swap or when the devs do a prune of inactive players (which almost never happens).

It's not a full active server, it's a full registered server.  Most of the players that count to the full rating aren't online or aren't subscribed.  If you stop playing for a year or two your character is still on that servers database and you will still login to the same "full" server with no serious problem at all.  If it really was a full active server everyone on that server would have wait times of an hour or more.

I have played on active full servers on other games (the only time you ever see it on any game is new releases in it's first or second week) and if you crash or DC you can't get back online for 1-2 hours because you meet the same massive queue system players trying to make a char on the server get.  Also when you have full active servers you can come back at 4am and see the server will say low to medium.  FFXIV does not have either of these things so it's just wishful thinking.

As I say I know the forum I'm on and the people here so I understand why you argue against it but for anyone without the "I want to believe" mindset it's really obvious the full rating is just registered players (whether they have quit, not subbed, not online or whatever).  Since they don't really delete old players that are on a long break or quit anymore the only time this really changes is when they ban a load of RMT. 

So if you want to get on a specfic server just do so after a RMT banning wave, or you will also get a small handful open up early in the morning from transfers.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Yaevindusk Originally posted by scorpex-x Originally posted by Uziduke I decided to re sub to play with my friends. This game is 1 and a half years old and all the servers are still not open to make a new character. This is so lame, I cant play with my friends and the game is so empty now, couldn't even find a group to do a lv 32 dungeon and the main cities are so empty. I guess WoW is still the only good themepark out there.  
      The server system being full is registered players, it does not mean current playing population or even subscribed players.   A player that is on a server that hasn't played for a year, is still counted to that servers full rating.  Which is why if you come back after a long break you're still on that server, no matter how busy of "full" it is.   To use an analogy, it's like a restaurant that is half empty having a full sign based on people phoning in and ordering a table without paying anything.   The only way you can get on is when other players server swap off the one you want or when RMT or botters are banned, the server opens up the slot from that person swapping late at night.   Jut throwing a little common sense into the thread.
    Not at all, it's a very common idea that players state because they want it to be true.  GW2 players said the same when it was proven not to be true (the devs announced how it worked) it's a very common misconception.  I remember GW2 players would state the server says full so it's full of people 24/7 lol, you would go online and most all the zones would be barren.  The only time a full rating goes down is when people get banned, server swap or when the devs do a prune of inactive players (which almost never happens).

It's not a full active server, it's a full registered server.  Most of the players that count to the full rating aren't online or aren't subscribed.  If you stop playing for a year or two your character is still on that servers database and you will still login to the same "full" server with no serious problem at all.  If it really was a full active server everyone on that server would have wait times of an hour or more.

I have played on active full servers on other games (the only time you ever see it on any game is new releases in it's first or second week) and if you crash or DC you can't get back online for 1-2 hours because you meet the same massive queue system players trying to make a char on the server get.  Also when you have full active servers you can come back at 4am and see the server will say low to medium.  FFXIV does not have either of these things so it's just wishful thinking.

As I say I know the forum I'm on and the people here so I understand why you argue against it but for anyone without the "I want to believe" mindset it's really obvious the full rating is just registered players (whether they have quit, not subbed, not online or whatever).  Since they don't really delete old players that are on a long break or quit anymore the only time this really changes is when they ban a load of RMT. 

So if you want to get on a specfic server just do so after a RMT banning wave, or you will also get a small handful open up early in the morning from transfers.

If we were to follow through on your common sense path, then this game should have about 250 servers and SE would be hemorrhaging money for no reason but to keep up the appearance of being wildly successful.
    No.
    Please stop spreading misinformation and some conspiracy theory about SE trying to deceive people. This is 90% of your posts here and it is always wrong.
    Originally posted by Foomerang

If we were to follow through on your common sense path, then this game should have about 250 servers and SE would be hemorrhaging money for no reason but to keep up the appearance of being wildly successful.
    No.
    Please stop spreading misinformation and some conspiracy theory about SE trying to deceive people. This is 90% of your posts here and it is always wrong.

Remember when he had that theory about how they were offering the free week for 2.5 that it was scheme so they could count all the free players as subscribers for their financials.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by reeereee
    Originally posted by Foomerang

No.

Remember when he had that theory about how they were offering the free week for 2.5 that it was scheme so they could count all the free players as subscribers for their financials.

He's going to take that brain fart out of his pocket as soon as the financial are released saying "FFXIV is showing favorable progress" or the equivalent.

"Just to bring some sense into this forum the financials are actually counting players from the free week & the game is not really doing that well."

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".

I know the defense force is out so I'm not really responding to them since that would be pointless but it's just a reply to anyone else reading.

1.A game's regional server with an active full rating would show as low to medium at 4am, there is simply no way around this.  Especially on a week night.  You can walk around and see the server is barren at 4am yet it still shows as full? really?

2.A game's regional server with an active full rating would show as low to empty after an update, you would be guaranteed to be able to make a character after that point if it was full active.  It's not.

3.If the server was actively full you would not be able to log-on without a 1-2 hour wait, every. single. time.  As I say I have played on servers with full active players online and it's horific.

4.If the server was actively full any DC or crash would lead to a 1-2 hour wait to get back online every time, this never happens.

5.If the server was actively full then coming back from a 1 year break would not instantly see you log-on without a hitch to your selected server.  A full active server would have the same issue logging on as someone trying to make a character on that world would get.

Full server means the server has reached full in terms of registered users assigned to that database (even if they never play anymore because they don't delete users now), if you like it's full in terms of RESERVATIONS allowed to that server.  Again it's like an empty restaurant saying full due to reserved tables or a town sign that gives population numbers, it's not showing people in the town now it's showing people that are registered as living there.

As I said I went through this with Guild Wars 2 players (some of them posted in this thread) and they were a mass number of players, it got so silly that a dev actually clarified it as registered accounts per server = full.

Full on a server listing is showing full potential, not full capacity.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Server-Populations/first#post703192

End of the story is this, if you're mad at this issue ask Square to increase the registered user cap per server (because a lot of those players counted to the full rating don't even play anymore).

I know the defense force is out so I'm not really responding to them since that would be pointless but it's just a reply to anyone else reading.

1.A game's regional server with an active full rating would show as low to medium at 4am, there is simply no way around this.  Especially on a week night.  You can walk around and see the server is barren at 4am yet it still shows as full? really?

2.A game's regional server with an active full rating would show as low to empty after an update, you would be guaranteed to be able to make a character after that point if it was full active.  It's not.

3.If the server was actively full you would not be able to log-on without a 1-2 hour wait, every. single. time.  As I say I have played on servers with full active players online and it's horific.

4.If the server was actively full any DC or crash would lead to a 1-2 hour wait to get back online every time, this never happens.

5.If the server was actively full then coming back from a 1 year break would not instantly see you log-on without a hitch to your selected server.  A full active server would have the same issue logging on as someone trying to make a character on that world would get.

Full server means the server has reached full in terms of registered users assigned to that database (even if they never play anymore because they don't delete users now), if you like it's full in terms of RESERVATIONS allowed to that server.  Again it's like an empty restaurant saying full due to reserved tables or a town sign that gives population numbers, it's not showing people in the town now it's showing people that are registered as living there.

As I said I went through this with Guild Wars 2 players (some of them posted in this thread) and they were a mass number of players, it got so silly that a dev actually clarified it as registered accounts per server = full.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Server-Populations/first#post703192

End of the story is this, if you're mad at this issue ask Square to increase the registered user cap per server (because a lot of those players counted to the full rating don't even play anymore).

Oh, no doubt you are correct to some extent, but your conclusion are completely misguided.

I actually do have to sit through a short queue when logging on in prime hours so the server is likely actually full then.  However, there are noticeably less people on at 4 a.m. what I think you're missing is that the character lock usually comes off about 8 a.m. that's generally the best time to try and make a character on a busy server, 4 a.m. is actually too early.  

The server being not at capacity is clearly not what brings the character creation block down, there is some lower level of activity that is required for that.  If your premise that the servers are full because there are too many already created characters on them then the servers would never come off of lock (unless someone deleted  a lot of characters) which is clearly not the case.

Originally posted by drivendawn

I don't know which one of you is right but until one of you has proof, it's all speculation.

Speculation it will likely always be.  Though it seems to me the only reason he believes it to be true, is because a different game of a different company that resides in a different region / culture does something in a specific way (and with a game that actually showed HIGH/MED/LOW whereas FFXIV does not and needs not try to fool others, especially when it could cost them a sale if a friend can't access another friend's server).  From active experience and personal testing, one could reasonably ascertain the true nature of the character restriction system of FFXIV presently.  I will describe my own extensive observations and evaluations regarding such, as opposed to simply speaking on another game when the topic at hand is FFXIV.  Do note that I do not claim myself to be right, but merely state that evidence and experience as it relates to this game simply implies such.  In all observations made by a third party, there is a chance for coincidence and human error when investigating.

One thing you will always notice is that, before and after maintenance, servers that are closed will be open for the briefest of minutes, seconds.  Having three accounts myself, I have accomplished no less than ten times and assisted many friends in doing the same (also had a fair few failures, due to them only allowing you to refresh once every few minutes; I also did it many -- helping friends on their accounts and filling out my three accounts -- times during early mornings on weekdays and have extensive experience in such and learning how the actual system works).  This is because the character creation is, as all evidence dictates, based on players currently in the realm.  Simple character data require(s/d) more manpower to maintain (as it would be reliant on special task forces' work) and what he said about bans freeing up space would be true and the cases where before and after maintenance (as well as early mornings on weekdays only, as Weekends are always packed) would never exist.  Granted, in large waves of bans (they stated that they ban in waves for maximum effectiveness), may also reduce the number of people playing, thus allowing for servers opening.  Though bans on that level are infrequent, and realms would only open once per couples, and only for a few minutes, as opposed to daily on the weekdays for as long as a couple hours.  Indeed, you even know character creation is open when you are spammed with RMT of the same site by different characters whereas one would assume such violators would be gone after a major ban wave.  You can also visibly see how many people are in cities and areas when the server is closed to character creation, and how empty it is by comparison when such opens up (as witness many times by myself).  Lastly, you always notice a queue to get into a server that is character creation locked, and whenever it is lifted, there is no such line to get in.

Though there is another factor at work here.  It is evening out player distribution.  This is where many are misled in believing that there is or was such a system in place whereby it only counts created characters.  With servers that are frequently open, if you log into them, you notice something immediately different from those that are full (if you have characters on both).  They have less active players.  They get ten times the RMT spam.  Housing districts are open for a far more amount of time.  In FFXI -- I say as it's the same company and has slightly more relevance than GW2 -- they had a system whereby you were randomly placed on a realm UNLESS you had a gold ticket, purchasable by a friend on a specific realm.  There is no such system in place for FFXIV.  You get to pick your server and there are no golden ticks... save for one system alone.  The transfers.  Transfers occur on the website and are built in such a way to bypass character creation restrictions as they are not linked in such a way to understand when a server is at it's capacity or not (I have actually perused this as a means to transfer sums of gil around to maximize effectiveness).  I'd imagine it would be simple -- if they really wanted to negate people from going there, to create a threshold of a static number of characters versus one that's constantly in flux and a part of a different system entirely.  Also, most recommend not even doing such, as the servers are typically reliably up at various conjectures, as stated above.

I mainly play the economies with all my characters, so the frequent creation of such and knowing the active population is pretty big for me.  Unfortunately a lot of my friends play on different servers, so this requires me to play on them as well.  Though it also makes you recognize differences between character restricted realms.  They really are always full of people and very little RMT spam. 

Though as stated in the first paragraph, it's only the evidence that makes this assertion the most logical to follow.  It may just be coincidence that bustling activity is present on character creation restricted worlds.  Though if it was data cap'd, then servers would slowly die, less people will be around.  But it only increases more and more each day I log on.  More server capacity added by them?  Possibility.  Would certainly help support the data cap theory.  But that's also costly (and requires manual labor in most cases) when they can just do the simple automated "if the server's full" route that would allow for the server to open up before and after maintenance, as well as in the mornings on weekdays, yet not be open when people are off school and work during the weekends (which it is presently).  They could be using extra serves and space for housing, which they pledged the cash shop funds for in the past and when they introduced it.

Granted again, Square has done some things that are questionable in the past.  They're a part of a different gaming culture, similar to the likes of Nintendo and Sega that just don't understand the Western Market.  Though Square has been doing better -- at least in terms of FFXIV -- since the release of it and the failure of the first version.

I wrote on this issue (as indicated by my first response) when the game first came out both on these forums and their official, and have been actively trying to understand and manipulate the system as part of my understanding of how frequently new players come in to purchase items -- in addition to the multi-class system within game -- to maximize profits.  In the official post I asked of rumors regarding it being based on character data and the responses I got was that it either was not, or that people agreed with me that it should be changed if it was.  Servers were always down, getting errors, and even before maintenance you couldn't get in.  You can bet they were actively banning people at those points in greater numbers, as well.

Why was there always a large queue?  Why was the registration always closed?

People were urged by other players to remain in game because there was no auto log out feature.  Servers were eventually closed because queues were high and the game was crashing.  Then rumors flew wildly about, no doubt from what they have experience with in other games.  In addition to pleading Square to implement an auto-log out feature, which they did temporarily, and servers starting to open again after a month or two.  Player characters still existed in mass even when the free month came and went, and with even more people coming, we could finally create characters.  The largest amounts of cheaters and RMT long since terminated in waves, yet the character creation frequently opening at the times indicated above -- Square did not delete the many who stopped playing after the free month.

Now we have 4.5 to 5 million box copies purchased, and the servers still aren't showing signs of dying.  Which would 100% be the case if it was full of inaccessible characters.  Some trickles from "bans", but no where near enough to resemble the waves we get (both visibly seen by numbers in cities / areas / new player seeds and speaking from an economic perspective), and the frequent queues before logging in (on servers that are log in restricted).  It is also harder to see when a server is open, simply because it instantly logs you into as screen without seeing openings.  You just see your character(s) and you wait in line.

In the end, it may very well be that Square is simply opening more spots themselves to compliment ban waves, and that it is just coincidence or circumstance that you can get in before maintenance or when the game is visibly full or sells are the most frequent.  It would certainly negate my research if they manually open more spots in the morning and before/after maintenance.  Maybe they just don't have anyone working on such during the weekends (adding slots or banning... though it would be a bad idea to let cheaters have free reign for two days, especially on a day where people have the day off).  Also might be coincidence that every time I have seen it closed, the server has had a queue to get into.  Perhaps, overall, it is a way to squeeze out some money with transfers with a system they figured out.  Though I'd roll my eyes at such a suggestion considering past knowledge of Yoshi-P and the fact most purchases in the cash shop are 1-3 dollars, and that I could've got 40 Bottles of Fantasia (changing character appearance) for $10 (on top of the three free ones they gave each of my characters already) when that would cost $400 on other games.  They just haven't nickled and dimed me as of yet.  And since we never see how high the population is in a game and are just instantly sent to a queue, there's no need for deception when logged in.

Therefore my conclusion would be that either is possibly and has plausible paths to get to such.  Though active evidence on the matter at hand, on the game at hand, indicates one in particular to be true.

--------

Oh, no doubt you are correct to some extent, but your conclusion are completely misguided.

I actually do have to sit through a short queue when logging on in prime hours so the server is likely actually full then.  However, there are noticeably less people on at 4 a.m. what I think you're missing is that the character lock usually comes off about 8 a.m. that's generally the best time to try and make a character on a busy server, 4 a.m. is actually too early.  

The server being not at capacity is clearly not what brings the character creation block down, there is some lower level of activity that is required for that.  If your premise that the servers are full because there are too many already created characters on them then the servers would never come off of lock (unless someone deleted  a lot of characters) which is clearly not the case.

Indeed, there are quite a bit of assertions that, again, mainly rely on experiences elsewhere.  Also personal experiences that conflict with my own (which are equality valid as they're both from 3rd party observations).

In response to the above:

1)  While I personally always see full servers -- and when I don't I either get spammed with RMT and or check to see the server is open -- this would indicate that there can be no more than assumptions as to how they go about opening.  Manual or automatic?  Very fair personal observation that raises questions.

2)  Again, I've been able to do this.  Though it would seem to provide evidence of significant management on the systems for the purpose of:  Server balance.  In addition to other triggers being present.

3)  This is simply not true at all.  It's different based on games, communities and their overall playerbase.  While WoW had 7 hours when an expansion was released, it is not the same for a different game.  Especially not one with WoW's numbers.  Granted, this is addressed by the hours of not being able to log in at start, simply because there were other factors at play such as not having an auto-kick feature.  I know I leave my characters AFK in my houses, as do my FC mates.  Typically at night and throughout the morning.

4)  Again, a wrong assertion based on assumption and opinion.  From different games.

5)  Another assumption that assumes one knows the log-in system.  I always run into a queue myself, on my frequented servers.  Also, not if a server is closed.  Since you've used other games, I will do the same in this case in that when WoW had server locks, you could instantly get on the server and log into your character with a minor queue.  It would go back to "High" in a few hours" once prime time was over.

Full registration is real with many things and system, though it does not have to relate to character creation or how an individual company may operate.  It may very well be use in part of a decision, but I can guarantee you that there are many parts to each whole when it comes to decision making and getting people into the same server with your friends.  Oversimplification on matters from a foreign program with which neither of us knows about leaves the situation as always up in the air until current official statements.

I believe ReeeReee has explained it more adequately than I, with my long winded experience on the matter.

Ultimately, I just don't see how one could refute many of the flaws that are present on both sides.  There's something more going on than anyone knows.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • AhavatolamAhavatolam Member Posts: 1

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/80cd4583bf743600105b947d6906d0909189e479

You can create character in any server any day at certain time when character creation restriction is lifted. Just check the interval time often.

I don't know which one of you is right but until one of you has proof, it's all speculation.

Speculation it will likely always be.  Though it seems to me the only reason he believes it to be true, is because a different game of a different company that resides in a different region / culture does something in a specific way

Not at all, that was a final point.  I showed why it's the case with my numbered points.

It's database of registered players is full (which counts active and inactive), it's not a full active server.  The only time you really see that is at a new games launch.  

This really isn't speculation because a) you can test these things yourselves (try logon to a full server and then try to make a new character on it and see which happens first...ever single time) and b) anyone that has played an mmo at launch when a server really is actively full can't log-on for hours and if you crash or DC from the game the group you were in might as well replace you cause you ain't getting back on for a long long time.

If the servers really were full the forums would be filled with angry players unable to get online to play their game.  The publisher isn't trying to fool people, some of the most protective of players are (the funny part is some of these people were doing the same thing on Gw2 a few years ago and now no longer even play it)

Speculation it will likely always be.  Though it seems to me the only reason he believes it to be true, is because a different game of a different company that resides in a different region / culture does something in a specific way

Not at all, that was a final point.  I showed why it's the case with my numbered points.

It's database of registered players is full (which counts active and inactive), it's not a full active server.  The only time you really see that is at a new games launch.  

This really isn't speculation because a) you can test these things yourselves (try logon to a full server and then try to make a new character on it and see which happens first...ever single time) and b) anyone that has played an mmo at launch when a server really is actively full can't log-on for hours and if you crash or DC from the game the group you were in might as well replace you cause you ain't getting back on for a long long time.

If the servers really were full the forums would be filled with angry players unable to get online to play their game.  The publisher isn't trying to fool people, some of the most protective of players are (the funny part is some of these people were doing the same thing on Gw2 a few years ago and now no longer even play it)

Updated my other post once I read on, though I'll post is a response to this:

Indeed, there are quite a bit of assertions that, again, mainly rely on experiences elsewhere.  Also personal experiences that conflict with my own (which are equal in validity as we're both 3rd party observers).

In response to the above:

1)  While I personally always see full servers -- and when I don't I either get spammed with RMT and or check to see the server is open -- this would indicate that there can be no more than assumptions as to how they go about opening.  Manual or automatic?  Very fair personal observation that raises questions.

2)  Again, I've been able to do this.  Though it would seem to provide evidence of significant management on the systems for the purpose of:  Server balance.  In addition to other triggers being present.

3)  This is simply not true at all.  It's different based on games, communities and their overall playerbase.  While WoW had 7 hours when an expansion was released, it is not the same for a different game.  Especially not one with WoW's numbers.  Granted, this is addressed by the hours of not being able to log in at start, simply because there were other factors at play such as not having an auto-kick feature.  I know I leave my characters AFK in my houses, as do my FC mates.  Typically at night and throughout the morning.

4)  Again, a wrong assertion based on assumption and opinion.  From different games.

5)  Another assumption that assumes one knows the log-in system.  I always run into a queue myself, on my frequented servers.  Also, not if a server is closed.  Since you've used other games, I will do the same in this case in that when WoW had server locks, you could instantly get on the server and log into your character with a minor queue.  It would go back to "High" in a few hours" once prime time was over.

Full registration is real with many things and systems, though it does not have to relate to character creation or how an individual company may operate.  It may very well be use in part of a decision, but I can guarantee you that there are many parts to each whole when it comes to decision making and getting people into the same server with your friends.  Oversimplification on matters from a foreign program with which neither of us knows about leaves the situation as always up in the air until current official statements.

I believe ReeeReee has explained it more adequately than I, with my long winded experience on the matter.

Ultimately, I just don't see how one could refute many of the flaws that are present on both sides.  There's something more going on than anyone knows.

As I said earlier, my point was never to prove anything to the people that already want to believe this to be the case.  No amount of arguing, common sense or logic will ever desuade them because they either don't want to believe it or already know it's the case but don't want it to be seen that way to everyone else.

My posts speak for themselves though, so anyone without a bias can make their own decision as to what "full" means.  So read the topic as a whole and make your own decision if you care about it. 

I argued this point for months about GW2 and the for and against never changed their views, only when Arenanet themselves stated how it worked did it change and Square will never do that.