Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO is not Canon

sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788

Alot of people have been debating on the official forums, many ESO fans state that ESO is in fact Cannon to the original ES lore.

Just to be clear, both Michael Kirkbirke (original Lore Writer for ES) and Todd Howard have publicly stated the game is a spin off and not canon. In fact Todd Howard isnt even a fan of the game and has removed himself from talking about it long since its unveil 4 years ago.

Does this mean ESO is a bad game? By no means. But it also needs to be taken for what it is, a Spin-off, an Off-shoot, with little relevance for the source material as could be.

ESO is essentially a glorified fan-fiction with multiplayer.

Oxkill

Comments

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472

The original writers saying it is a spin-off is just their opinion.

Sz  :o)

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by sludgebeard

Alot of people have been debating on the official forums, many ESO fans state that ESO is in fact Cannon to the original ES lore.

Just to be clear, both Michael Kirkbirke (original Lore Writer for ES) and Todd Howard have publicly stated the game is a spin off and not canon. In fact Todd Howard isnt even a fan of the game and has removed himself from talking about it long since its unveil 4 years ago.

Does this mean ESO is a bad game? By no means. But it also needs to be taken for what it is, a Spin-off, an Off-shoot, with little relevance for the source material as could be.

ESO is essentially a glorified fan-fiction with multiplayer.

The IP belongs to Zenimax Media Inc, which owns ZOS.  If they say it's canon, then it's canon.  However, if you provide a link to Todd Howard saying publicly that it's not canon then I might believe at least that they said that.  I do know that Todd Howard never wanted the ES IP to turn into an MMO, but unfortunately he isn't high enough on the totem pole to make the final call even though the IP would be nothing without his direction.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Might want to read this short tweet OP.

https://twitter.com/TESOnline/status/372017971423498240

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Distopia

Owned! O.O

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Its from the same parent company so its canon to me.
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Might be canon, but it's not relevant to the single player games, and it never will be.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Meh, I guess it's like that one time Boba Fett captured Riker from the Cylons and threw him into the Stargate. Some fans were pissed because the canon wasn't preserved, but whatever, still my favorite episode.
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Rusque
    Meh, I guess it's like that one time Boba Fett captured Riker from the Cylons and threw him into the Stargate. Some fans were pissed because the canon wasn't preserved, but whatever, still my favorite episode.

episode of... Star Trek Wars Gate?

Originally posted by Laughing-man

No, it was Babylon 5 . .. duh. L2SciFi

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

So what if it is or isnt "canon"

For me and many others it is a fun game in the ES setting and about as close to you are going to come to the multiplayer Skyrim everyone seemed to expect.

I know some people get bent out of shape about lore, immersion and all that. But all I can say is if you like it, play it and enjoy it for what it is. If you dont like it then stick with  the single player games that stay true to the lore and give you the "immersion" you need to feel satisfied.

I feel they stayed as close to the ES lore as they could while trying to make what had been a SP only game into an MMO. And I am fine with that and continue to play and enjoy it.

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392

Wasn't Babylon 5 the show that had Moonbase Alpha and traveled in the Tardis...?

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077

Rekt.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

It's like deja-vu all over again...

I predict a few new threads with titles like "PVP in ES...wtf?", "Three alliances break lore" and the ever popular "This ain't no ES game. It's a DAoC clone in ES skin."

And somewhere in the comments we'll get a post or two about how Matt Firor is the devil.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Nyghthowler

Wasn't Babylon 5 the show that had Moonbase Alpha and traveled in the Tardis...?

Yes, at least someone knows what I'm talking about. Though Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman did the voiceovers in the pixar film adaptation.

Originally posted by Stizzled
    Originally posted by Iselin

It's like deja-vu all over again...

I predict a few new threads with titles like "PVP in ES...wtf?", "Three alliances break lore" and the ever popular "This ain't no ES game. It's a DAoC clone in ES skin."

And somewhere in the comments we'll get a post or two about how Matt Firor is the devil.

Well, those are all still relevant topics if you ask me. Though, I don't think Matt Firor is the devil. But, there's no point discussing any of them. The game is what it is and isn't going to change.

Exactly. Enjoy it or don't for what it is not what you think it should have been.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Technically anything could be canon to TES lore.  They could add flying hovercars and laser guns to the game and it would be canon.  The Elder Scrolls can change the world of Nirn into anything...
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    Technically anything could be canon to TES lore.  They could add flying hovercars and laser guns to the game and it would be canon.  The Elder Scrolls can change the world of Nirn into anything...

Fortunately they're not a Korean company. :P

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

Which you can tell right away by the absence of scantily-clad, over-developed, teenage girls wearing high heels :P

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Do whatever you want with "BattleStarWarsGate: Enterprise", But don't you touch B5!

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

wow, that has to be the nerdiest thing i read in a while ^^

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Owned! O.O

I guess that pretty much means /thread. What more can we say!

Which you can tell right away by the absence of scantily-clad, over-developed, teenage girls wearing high heels :P

You know what, I never understood what's with this :D Why do Asians need to have scantily dressed teenage girls in their games. It's creepy :P

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Originally posted by Torval

Distopia totally owned the thread. :D

Canon is overrated. The same is true in TOR. One word: midichlorians. That one word proves that just because it's canon doesn't make it right.

That's what happens when your head gets too big, and you surround yourself with yes-men and sycophants.   Though at least he helped start Pixar.  Points for that.

The Big Head Brigade includes a number of high profile game developers. 

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Originally posted by fivoroth

Owned! O.O

You know what, I never understood what's with this :D Why do Asians need to have scantily dressed teenage girls in their games. It's creepy :P

never saw they "idols" over the internet? plus serious most asians girls like to show legs, not i'm complaining, but they do :)

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Some of the comments on that twitter post are funny. Saying that ESO is not canon because they put together argonians and dunmer on the same faction is like saying WoW is not canon because Alliance and Horde shared hugs against the Lich King.

How do you confirm ESO is not canon when its supossed to be X amount of years before all other TES games? Before the first TES game there was no Elder Scrolls lore going on (that i remember) so anything written to be taking place before that timeline can be used as canon, IMO.

I dont mind if its canon or not. Its Elder Scrolls and if its well written then im fine with that. But of course being canon makes it more interesting.

Originally posted by alkarionlog
    Originally posted by fivoroth

Owned! O.O

never saw they "idols" over the internet? plus serious most asians girls like to show legs, not i'm complaining, but they do :)

But c'mon... high heels? really? Who the heck can fight wearing high heels? 

Not that I know that much about wearing heels... regardless of what my mother used to say about me as a toddler... she lied! :p

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED