Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Space sims AFTER Star Citizen release.

Comments

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Erillion
    Originally posted by TheYear1500

Erillion has admitted to lying and does it all the time.  

In your own little world perhaps ....

Have fun

Ya earth is a small little world.   

Whats even smaller will be the areas that we can explore in SC.  

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Originally posted by Kefo

The forbes article you linked was written in November of 2012 and it looks like the last time they wrote anything about star citizen was in June of 2013(that I could find anyway)

The economist link doesn't work and the crowdfunding "university" has to be a joke on your end.

So again show me the verifyable proof. I will accept a textbook that is required reading at university(so along with the book list for whatever class) or professor notes talking about it and since you said for years to come I also require proof up to and including the year 2020 to cover all bases.

Given the day, this is a must:

http://forums.starcitizenbase.com/topic/8684-greetings-from-the-star-citizen-university/

Star Citizen is clearly required reading at THIS university. And it will be for years to come. ;-)

I will gladly come back to you in 2020 with another list to cover all bases.

Economist link does work for me ... otherwise google for it yourself and try THAT link. Plenty of other links about SC in the non Gaming press, including such famous names The Guardian, Wired, Der Spiegel etc.

How good or bad some universities are in the US (e.g. the Crowdfunding University) .. now THAT would be a topic big enough to fill another thread ;-)

Have fun

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

For the amount of money it's gathered, SC has had very little coverage in the press.

In fact, it was even mentioned in a recent Verge article.

..Cake..

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229

The forbes article you linked was written in November of 2012 and it looks like the last time they wrote anything about star citizen was in June of 2013(that I could find anyway)

The economist link doesn't work and the crowdfunding "university" has to be a joke on your end.

So again show me the verifyable proof. I will accept a textbook that is required reading at university(so along with the book list for whatever class) or professor notes talking about it and since you said for years to come I also require proof up to and including the year 2020 to cover all bases.

Given the day, this is a must:

http://forums.starcitizenbase.com/topic/8684-greetings-from-the-star-citizen-university/

Star Citizen is clearly required reading at THIS university. And it will be for years to come. ;-)

I will gladly come back to you in 2020 with another list to cover all bases.

Economist link does work for me ... otherwise google for it yourself and try THAT link. Plenty of other links about SC in the non Gaming press, including such famous names The Guardian, Wired, Der Spiegel etc.

How good or bad some universities are in the US (e.g. the Crowdfunding University) .. now THAT would be a topic big enough to fill another thread ;-)

Have fun

starcitizenbase isn't a university. Also I require the proof from 2020 now since you seem intent on calling out others for not posting verifyable facts yet you seem to be incapable of providing the same.

Got the economist link to work and I have to say I am underwhelmed. That article might be fine for a grade 8 short story on video games but university material it is not.

Originally posted by sgel

For the amount of money it's gathered, SC has had very little coverage in the press.

Under which rock are you living ?

https://www.google.at/search?q=star+citizen+articles+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=S8cbVb7NAYX_UtzJgbAJ#q=star+citizen+article

Here are many google pages of links full of "very little coverage".

Have fun

https://www.google.at/search?q=star+citizen+articles+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=S8cbVb7NAYX_UtzJgbAJ#q=star+citizen+article

I read pretty much all large/largish PC gaming english-language news sites so I know what I'm talking about.

Some of them have posted a number of articles about SC in the last years and a few of them usually update when a new dollar mileage has been reached. That's about it.

There hasn't been much development update worth noting for anyone who isn't an SC fanatic though, so that's expected. I mean how many times can they write about SC reaching another million in funding?

Also, there's quite a few critical pieces out there and pretty much every single SC article has a plethora of negative comments associated with it.

So according to your claims to SC extreme greatness and let's say someone like me would buy into it., I don't think SC receives nearly as much coverage as the PC gaming-saviour university-teaching besterest game ever, would.

..Cake..

starcitizenbase isn't a university.

--> Thats what you say. They say different. Whom should I believe ? Decisions, decisions .... ;-)

Also I require the proof from 2020 now

--> As time machines have not been invented yet to my knowledge, the "now" part will not be possible. I said the data is verifyable. I did not say "now". I did not even say "by me". When needed someone can post that information to you in 2020. Maybe that someone is even me.

since you seem intent on calling out others for not posting verifyable facts yet you seem to be incapable of providing the same.

--> I provided a link to a university named Crowdfunding University. A verifyable information. The topic of their courses are crowdfunding. The most successful crowdfunding project worldwide, any genre, is "Star Citizen". Will they cover this most successful business case of crowdfunding in their courses .... hmmm.... what do YOU think ?   If  "Crowdfunding University" is a good university or a bad one .....  not relevant.  Even Harvard has courses on crowdfunding. 

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/corpgov/tag/crowdfunding/

Got the economist link to work and I have to say I am underwhelmed. That article might be fine for a grade 8 short story on video games but university material it is not.

--> So you are now the worlds foremost expert on what is "university material" ? Any genre ? Any university ? Now THAT is what i call self-confidence.

--> Your in-depth knowledge is based on how many university courses you have prepared yourself ? Just to get a perspective ....

--> Have fun

I read pretty much all large/largish PC gaming english-language news sites so I know what I'm talking about.

Some of them have posted a number of articles about SC in the last years and a few of them usually update when a new dollar mileage has been reached. That's about it.

There hasn't been much development update worth noting for anyone who isn't an SC fanatic though, so that's expected. I mean how many times can they write about SC reaching another million in funding?

Also, there's quite a few critical pieces out there and pretty much every single SC article has a plethora of negative comments associated with it.

So according to your claims to SC extreme greatness and let's say someone like me would buy into it., I don't think SC receives nearly as much coverage as the PC gaming-saviour university-teaching besterest game ever, would.

Thats your opinion. Now ... care to explain please why Google produces many pages of links to articles about Star Citizen ?

If there is "very little coverage" .... should not Google list only a few isolated hits  ... instead of many many pages ?

If you are reading pretty much all large PC gaming english news sites - how could you have missed all those articles that Google is listing ? As you do not seem to know them.

Even a critical piece IS a piece of information about SC. Which is coverage too .....

Have fun

If there is "very little coverage" .... should not Google list only a few isolated hits  ... instead of many many pages ?

Well maybe not "very little coverage" as I said but considering these sites write multiple articles about games every single day I still think it's not as much as a multimillion dollar game would attract (again, the Verve article mentions this as well). A lot of the pieces are just another "SC got another million" pieces with little substance.

If you are reading pretty much all large PC gaming english news sites - how could you have missed all those articles that Google is listing ? As you do not seem to know them.

I didn't miss any of them actually just simply forgot some of them. The lack of substance has probably something to do with it.

Even a critical piece IS a piece of information about SC. Which is coverage too .....

Oh I agree, which is why I mentioned it on the topic of coverage in case you were under the impression that all coverage was positive. 

..Cake..

• jcrg99jcrg99 Member UncommonPosts: 723

Lemme see ... his marketing team will be a textbook example at universities for years to come.

Have fun

https://p.gr-assets.com/540x540/fit/hostedimages/1380410560/805197.jpg

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325

I have never seen a game being hyped so much as SC has in my entire gaming career / 25+ years), Peter Molyneux dont have a chance in a hype meter battle with this game.

I'm pretty sure this title will not come close to the utopia of space sim that has been promised.

starcitizenbase isn't a university.

--> Thats what you say. They say different. Whom should I believe ? Decisions, decisions .... ;-)

Also I require the proof from 2020 now

--> As time machines have not been invented yet to my knowledge, the "now" part will not be possible. I said the data is verifyable. I did not say "now". I did not even say "by me". When needed someone can post that information to you in 2020. Maybe that someone is even me.

since you seem intent on calling out others for not posting verifyable facts yet you seem to be incapable of providing the same.

--> I provided a link to a university named Crowdfunding University. A verifyable information. The topic of their courses are crowdfunding. The most successful crowdfunding project worldwide, any genre, is "Star Citizen". Will they cover this most successful business case of crowdfunding in their courses .... hmmm.... what do YOU think ?   If  "Crowdfunding University" is a good university or a bad one .....  not relevant.  Even Harvard has courses on crowdfunding. 

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/corpgov/tag/crowdfunding/

--> So you are now the worlds foremost expert on what is "university material" ? Any genre ? Any university ? Now THAT is what i call self-confidence.

--> Your in-depth knowledge is based on how many university courses you have prepared yourself ? Just to get a perspective ....

--> Have fun

Yes a gaming website claiming to be a university is clearly a university. I think I would take my toddlers farting as higher learning if you think what you do.

You said verifyable facts and said for years to come. I am asking you to post your verifyable facts of the years to come statement you made. If you can't produce any facts that SC will be studied in universities for years to come by showing me actual proof then perhaps you should stop making things up and trying to pass them off as the truth.

Hate to break it to you but crowdfunding university isn't a university. Its a website where a woman takes your money to talk to you about crowdfunding. Her education comes in the form of a B.S. in alternative medicine from a college that no longer exists and that was never accredited.

The Harvard website you linked isn't actually courses, its a blog. Anyone can blog, doesn't mean they are teaching you something.

I have prepared university level courses in order to get my degree. I had to teach bioethics so I can tell you if I went into a classroom with that crappy economist article I would get maybe 5 minutes max out of it which would leave me with another 175 minutes of nothing to talk about.

Feel free to keep on posting though, I rather enjoy watching you struggle to keep a positive spin on things

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

if this game becomes the second coming the only thing we will see happening is every company out there will start selling concepts of future in game items for $400+ 

We dont want that to become the norm, do we?

/thread

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

the only place it gets hyped is this website. It did get some press because of the money it has raised, again I suspect mostly to the people who read this place and give it way too much credence in predicting future successes.

But all that is irrelevant money and hype doesnt make a game good or make a game at all. Until there is something actually tangible in relation to SC people should cool their jets. The original OP was spot on, all these guys do is draw a new picture every couple weeks slap a 4 or 5 figure price tag on it and start spamming email boxes.

How many other kickstarter and indie shops have games out and playable right now with not nearly the moneyraised or hype surrounding. A half dozen at least some of those even announced after SC.

Like I said a long time ago these kickstarter projects are a joke just a way for people not willing to work a real job or for someone else to go (under the guise of creating a vision) and milk people for a few years income. SC case its a life times worth of money at this point.

I imagine theyre probably afraid to actually try and make the game at this point because the expecations are way too high. With all the hype and all the money people are expecting Virutal Reality Eve I imagine. When all that exists right now is a flight sim anyone could build in their basement for under a grand.

Yes a gaming website claiming to be a university is clearly a university. I think I would take my toddlers farting as higher learning if you think what you do.

--> You HAVE looked at the date this was posted, have you ?  ;-)  Does April 1st mean anything to you ?

--> Have fun

Originally posted by rodarin...
    The original OP was spot on, all these guys do is draw a new picture every couple weeks slap a 4 or 5 figure price tag on it and start spamming email boxes.

Sure .... keep ignoring detailed 20 page long monthly development progress reports e.g. 

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14563-Monthly-Report-February

Much easier to claim " Waah .. waah ... mimimimimi ... they only draw pictures and spam e-mails ....".

And here a tip for the Computer User 101 .. learn to set your e-mail preferences to customize the amount of information you want - to a setting of  "No mails" perhaps if you do not want those mails ?

Have fun

Originally posted by rodarin
    When all that exists right now is a flight sim anyone could build in their basement for under a grand.

I let these words of wisdom and the amount of knowledge they show about the computer gaming industry sink in ... we clearly seem to have a pro here, who must be very knowledgeable in programming and costing.

Have fun

• shukoladeshukolade Member UncommonPosts: 113
    Originally posted by Agent_Joseph
    EVE is not space sim it is sandbox mmorpg about players interactions ,SC is not mmo it is SP space sim with MP,game made by megalomaniac out reaility and huge base of fanatical rich followers

So EVE is not a SPACE SIMULATION. Thanks for clearing that up, I was under the assumption that EVE is exactly that, while Star Citizen is this bastard jack of all trades child wich will most likely never see the light of the world in the way we are promised.

--> You HAVE looked at the date this was posted, have you ?  ;-)  Does April 1st mean anything to you ?

--> Have fun

I've been asking for proof from you from before april fools. You saying "haha was a joke" doesn't change anything.

I've been asking for proof from you from before april fools. You saying "haha was a joke" doesn't change anything.

And you got proof. You just did not like it. And ignore it. So be it then.

Have fun

And you got proof. You just did not like it. And ignore it. So be it then.

Have fun

You haven't given any proof that it is even in university courses. crowdfunding university is not a university as I have already pointed out and someone at Harvard blogged about it which isn't teaching in a university level course.

So clearly you were making up things to suit your argument and when called out on it you fail to produce much like this game will probably fail to produce on all of the promises made when/if it releases.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by shukolade
    Originally posted by Agent_Joseph
    EVE is not space sim it is sandbox mmorpg about players interactions ,SC is not mmo it is SP space sim with MP,game made by megalomaniac out reaility and huge base of fanatical rich followers

So EVE is not a SPACE SIMULATION. Thanks for clearing that up, I was under the assumption that EVE is exactly that, while Star Citizen is this bastard jack of all trades child wich will most likely never see the light of the world in the way we are promised.

SC can not knock EVE from it's place as SC is a instanced game, EVE is one open sandbox, which SC is not.

SC is a 1st person space shooter while  EVE is a sandbox strategy mmo.

EVE Valkyrie is a different game, they can not implement that in EVE Online unless in instanced minigames.

I like what I see about SC -apart from the cashshop schemes-, but it lacks the open 'world' game EVE has. The game probably gets a permanent lobby and servers to play on.

If they just would make it so that you can build structures/stations in space to settle/claim/destroy and one open 'universe' (even zoning would help to prevent blobs and lag to crash a node) that would help immensely.

Till that happens SC wil just be another lobbybased multishardsci-fi shooter that puts it in a different league then EVE. IF it will ever be released.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

So clearly you were making up things to suit your argument and when called out

I cannot take anyone seriously that asks me for proof from the year 2020 .....

I said its verifyable data. I did not say NOW ... when talking about Star Citizen marketing being a topic for economic classes discussing crowdfunding in the future. Its a given that the most successful crowdfunding campaign EVER, ANY GENRE will be discussed as an example business case  ... a campaign that made it into the Guiness Book of Records  because of its success.

Have fun

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Maurgrim

I have never seen a game being hyped so much as SC has in my entire gaming career / 25+ years), Peter Molyneux dont have a chance in a hype meter battle with this game.

I'm pretty sure this title will not come close to the utopia of space sim that has been promised.

This very well maybe though and i'm glad i own a PS4.

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/about/

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

This very well maybe though and i'm glad i own a PS4.

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/about/

A very nice game. It lacks a bit on the interaction side.

Procedural Generation produces great stuff at first look, but you soon see the patterns and the repetition.

have fun