Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Crowfall be a Crowdfail?

JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489

don't get me wrong, the game concept looks great but the budget is underwhelming.

Do they have some additional investors lined up, because you can't do a huge MMO project and professional service with only 1.6 Million, or even with 2 million. That hardly pays the salary for a team of 20 people for 2 years.

Comments

• KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468

Depends upon location.  And from what I understand, most game developers are not paid that well since there is a larger supply than there is a demand.  And Crowfall has said from the beginning that they will NOT be big budget, and they don't WANT to be.  They want to make the game they are making, and don't want any pressure from anyone else to make something else.  And for that, it will be a niche game, maybe a hundred thousand, and they will be fine with that.

Leave it to gamers to over hype a new game they know nothing about, for what they want it to be, not what it is going to be.

I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

• trixtrix Member UncommonPosts: 66

They have invested their own money as well and the game foundation is already created their obviously just setting up to generate income with alpha starting at the end of the summer I would expect crowfall to be released next year summer if not earlier they are most definitely not workingf rom the ground up as it seems the majority is already developed now it it likely just fine tuning and creating more characters it is unlikely crowfall will fail.

The 800k was likely for servers etc as well has hiring some art jockeys for a year until they have recurring income.

LOL L2's new advertisement is wonderful..... 
    Take a step back in time and relive the original Lineage II experience as it was in the beginning. Create a classic hero from the original 5 races and 31 class options and jump into the nostalgic hardcore level grind where the rewards can outweigh the risks. It's your chance to experience the game the way it was when "hardcore" meant something!
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    Originally posted by Kaladin

Leave it to gamers to over hype a new game they know nothing about, for what they want it to be, not what it is going to be.

Pretty much this. I think the Crowfall hype is far larger than the niche market it's really directed towards. I'm sure they're game will attract enough players to keep it afloat and running, but I'm sure the hype will create a large bubble of people who claim otherwise once it's been released.

• trixtrix Member UncommonPosts: 66

The hype is from the constant updates and people looking for something different if they create a way to allow people to fight without joining a guild by letting guilds form under a specific charter forcing alliances then the game will appeal to quite a large player base.

The fact that they have the eternal kingdoms will likely appeal to a number of people as well who wouldn't even participate in the campaigns of gvg combat, and it would appear that you would be able to craft gear through the use of npcs in your ek so that you wont take such a loss when dropping your gear int he campaign.

I'm sure theyll sort it out the screenshots of character creation and information linked already are promising as it will recreate an awesome system from shadowbane.

Whats going to make or break crowfall is the ability to support a large enough amount of people on one server and the size of the campaign worlds.

I haven't had faith in developers for quite some time but I highly doubt crow fall will fail to deliver.

LOL L2's new advertisement is wonderful..... 
    Take a step back in time and relive the original Lineage II experience as it was in the beginning. Create a classic hero from the original 5 races and 31 class options and jump into the nostalgic hardcore level grind where the rewards can outweigh the risks. It's your chance to experience the game the way it was when "hardcore" meant something!
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    The largest expenses for most MMOs are the making of quests and dungeons/raid content. Crowfall won't have any of either.
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242

2.3m raised previously (good part of which is Todd`s & Gordon`s money), 1.6-1.7m from KS, plus, say something like 1m more crowdfunded till launch (frxmple CU raised more than a million post - KS) should suffice for a game without PvE, expensive trailers, deep character customization, expensive IPs and such candies. I remember Gordon saying in one of his interviews that, while working in SWTOR, he spent almost full CF budget just on trailers.

PS I wonder whether they will be able to make big money (much bigger than 1m, think: SC) by selling castles, forts, villas, tax free parcels and such cybergoods that already exist in their KS backer rewards. A joke, you say?

W...aaagh?
  • Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549

I don't think their scope for this game is that large, to be frank.  We're talking about a game that is more about the gameplay systems and player interaction than any amazing cinematic narrative, and they are treating the environment as more of an escalating obstacle rather than an active enemy.

They'll probably survive off of the same model as path of exile.

• ParepinParepin Member UncommonPosts: 257

SWTOR had a budget over 100 million.  Look how amazing that game is...

They are doing everything they wanted to do with Shadowbane.  It's tons cheaper to out source everything in your game.  With this being 2015 now and not 2003 its also smarter.