Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think a payment model change would help WS population?

Comments

• KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by chakalaka
    I will never play the game again no matter what. Hope this helps.

No, this didn't help.  If you don't like the game to such a degree, why bother posting about it?  And to all those who say "you need to make a fun game for people to play it, regardless of the payment model", what's fun for you might not be fun for others.  I find the game more fun than any other MMORPG I have played to date.

There are just too many upcoming changes and additions for me to write the game off yet.  My guild is adding more people to our ranks who have just found the game, or are returning, so I have a feeling that 2015 will be just fine for Wildstar.

I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by Lazzaro

I don't want to turn this is to a P2P or F2P war, but at what point do you think Carbine will cave in, or if not at all?

I honestly believe a good B2P model would do this game wonders population wise, and from reading forums and news it could use a great pop boost, especially on the PvP servers.

I hate to see this game go by the wayside, but I think something needs to be done to get new and returning players back into the game.

Thoughts?

A change in payment model doesn't make game play better.  Also, people are not entitled to cheap games even if you believe B2P is your right.

How do you explain SWTOR huge success then? It was the laughing stock of the mmorpg gaming community until they did some business changes and made it f2p. You do have to take some of these data sites with a grain of salt. http://www.swtorstrategies.com/2014/10/swtor-revenues-climb-over-100-million-for-2014.html

You missed the point.  Re-read what I wrote then post again with your understanding of what I wrote.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

I don't want to turn this is to a P2P or F2P war, but at what point do you think Carbine will cave in, or if not at all?

I honestly believe a good B2P model would do this game wonders population wise, and from reading forums and news it could use a great pop boost, especially on the PvP servers.

I hate to see this game go by the wayside, but I think something needs to be done to get new and returning players back into the game.

Thoughts?

A change in payment model doesn't make game play better.  Also, people are not entitled to cheap games even if you believe B2P is your right.

This is an odd comment given that the market is currently flooded with F2P/B2P games.  Sure no one is entitled to cheap games but if cheap games are what you want there are a myriad of choices so go knock yourself out.

• DztBlkDztBlk Member UncommonPosts: 127

Howdy

I think the game is pretty good in it's concept and payment method.  I just think they need to continue to throw in perks as a reward for your continued subscription.  Forgive me if it's already in place.  I subscribe and I am not getting anything. I don't really think payment is the problem though.  Sorry gotta say itFIX THE AMD CHIP ISSUE (I experience this), add a new class ( or two and preferably not gun related [I'm just over them is all]), continue to work on ways to encourage player interaction.  :)

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Thoughts?

How do you explain SWTOR huge success then? It was the laughing stock of the mmorpg gaming community until they did some business changes and made it f2p. You do have to take some of these data sites with a grain of salt. http://www.swtorstrategies.com/2014/10/swtor-revenues-climb-over-100-million-for-2014.html

You missed the point.  Re-read what I wrote then post again with your understanding of what I wrote.

I think I read it correctly. SWTOR gameplay isn't the best, they changed the payment model, and now it is very successful. Something got better somewhere along the line.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Agree with this, I've got it installed, I have a 10 day free trial and fancied something a big different, but performance killed it for me, and logged out after 30 mins of tweaking.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Thoughts?

I think I read it correctly. SWTOR gameplay isn't the best, they changed the payment model, and now it is very successful. Something got better somewhere along the line.

I know it can't be determined, but I really wonder how many play it because it's Star Wars.

Hurt - Wars

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

Wildstar was more of the same (for me), with very little "new".  It is a roller coaster ride that takes you from quest hub to quest hub.  There were a few good things.  Combat was fun and the "public events" were ok.  The downside?  See 2nd sentence.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
    Originally posted by Roguewiz

Wildstar was more of the same (for me), with very little "new".  It is a roller coaster ride that takes you from quest hub to quest hub.  There were a few good things.  Combat was fun and the "public events" were ok.  The downside?  See 2nd sentence.

All was as advertised.  They never claimed anything was "new" in the sense of content that hasn't been done before.  And it always was hub to hub questing.  Those things will not change.

I think the real shame was that it took until Drop 2 for the Drusera instances, and that even those didn't start until level 35.  Also was a shame that it took until Drop 4 for them to add a dungeon at level 10.

The improvements that have happened and that are currently scheduled are exciting, and should fix the game so that each of its major aspects will be playable for those that enjoy that style.  If they continue on their current path, I see no reason to be down on Wildstar.  If NCSoft follows through with the PR campaign they talked about, it should do just fine.

Hurt - Wars

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

In the early levels the population would go up a lot but not so much if at all in the endgame. And a bad cash shop could even make the endgame loose players instead of gaining them.

But a lot of people would try the game for a short period of time at least. To really be an advantage you first need to fix the issues that made most players quit in the first time though or the only thing you would do would be getting a fast temporary flow on cash only to be worse off than ever in the end.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    Originally posted by Kaladin

All was as advertised.  They never claimed anything was "new" in the sense of content that hasn't been done before.  And it always was hub to hub questing.  Those things will not change.

I think the real shame was that it took until Drop 2 for the Drusera instances, and that even those didn't start until level 35.  Also was a shame that it took until Drop 4 for them to add a dungeon at level 10.

The improvements that have happened and that are currently scheduled are exciting, and should fix the game so that each of its major aspects will be playable for those that enjoy that style.  If they continue on their current path, I see no reason to be down on Wildstar.  If NCSoft follows through with the PR campaign they talked about, it should do just fine.

Oh, I'm not debating that it was as advertised.  My hope was that the rest of the game (combat, character creation, events) would have been enough to make the "same ole game" less annoying.  Unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

I will admit, I've become one of those jaded mmo gamers.  Been there, played that, got the epic.  My first MMO was Everquest (6-months after release).  I've played virtually every major US release since then.  Some games kept my interest, others failed miserably.

I guess I'm looking for the "next EQ" in my eyes.  The game that will make me thing "wow, this is great".  Sadly, I don't see that happening.  Again, jaded.  Far too many devs promise the world, and end up giving us Dugway, UT.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    It would no doubt help the population. Would that be enough of a benefit though when those players are not willing to pay the $15 a month it costs right now? It would bring players, no doubt, but not necessarily income.

Oh, I'm not debating that it was as advertised.  My hope was that the rest of the game (combat, character creation, events) would have been enough to make the "same ole game" less annoying.  Unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

I will admit, I've become one of those jaded mmo gamers.  Been there, played that, got the epic.  My first MMO was Everquest (6-months after release).  I've played virtually every major US release since then.  Some games kept my interest, others failed miserably.

I guess I'm looking for the "next EQ" in my eyes.  The game that will make me thing "wow, this is great".  Sadly, I don't see that happening.  Again, jaded.  Far too many devs promise the world, and end up giving us Dugway, UT.

Exaggerated promises are one thing, but I don't think Carbine did that though.  Players hyped the heck out of it, but I would never find out what a game is about by player forum.  I learn that games exist, but if it piques my interest in the slightest, I'll get info from the game devs themselves.

Hurt - Wars

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Exaggerated promises are one thing, but I don't think Carbine did that though.  Players hyped the heck out of it, but I would never find out what a game is about by player forum.  I learn that games exist, but if it piques my interest in the slightest, I'll get info from the game devs themselves.

It's usually the players doing it.

I think all the devs promised was a hardcore game for raiders. On which they delivered from everything I can tell without having played the game. It's not their fault that their target audience bailed on them when they realized that the feature they claimed to want the most wasn't all that appealing anymore once it came down to it.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Thoughts?

It'll help for the most part but long term you can't fix the fundamental issue with WS unless you change the game systemically in much the same way FFXIV changed.  Raid Centric endgame models just do not work (outside of WoW).  Also this is a personal preference but they need to go full fledged action combat or tab target.  Quasi action while still having to hold down your right mouse button to pan the camera is a horrible combat system.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

People saying that the payment isn't the issue, but the gameplay. I don't see anything they could really do about gameplay since it follows the themepark style of gameplay. Unless they shut it down like FFXIV and make it a sandpark then maybe, but I don't know what else they could do?

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by danwest58

It will only help short term it will not fix the core problems.  I have over a dozen friends who rushed to Wildstar for 40 man raids and realized that their love was just nostalgia talking and getting 20 to 40 people together on the same page is a real pain in the ass and will never happen again like it happened in Vanilla WOW.  Vanilla WOW was great it was a time where people were willing to put a side personal goals for group goals at least to some level.  Today that just does not happen and never will again.  So that is wilstar is in the rut its in.  Bad design flaws based on nostalgia.  

Also I know a lot of people who just will not do Action combat and didnt like it.  Also a lot of my friends who quit, quit very fast when they noticed how bad the grind was.  You had to complete 20 man to get to 40.  Yea having hard content is ok but a major grind no that hurt Wildstar.

Just out of sheer curiosity.  Would you play it again if they dropped Datascape from a 40 man raid to a 20 man?

No.  I play FFXIV now 8 man raids are easy to manage.  I was a Raid leader in the 40 man days and I can tell you while sometimes it was fun it was more often a pain in the ass.  Even 20 mans are way to large.  I also do not like the action combat its too twitch for me.  Tab target or nothing for my now a days.  

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

It will only help short term it will not fix the core problems.  I have over a dozen friends who rushed to Wildstar for 40 man raids and realized that their love was just nostalgia talking and getting 20 to 40 people together on the same page is a real pain in the ass and will never happen again like it happened in Vanilla WOW.  Vanilla WOW was great it was a time where people were willing to put a side personal goals for group goals at least to some level.  Today that just does not happen and never will again.  So that is wilstar is in the rut its in.  Bad design flaws based on nostalgia.  

Also I know a lot of people who just will not do Action combat and didnt like it.  Also a lot of my friends who quit, quit very fast when they noticed how bad the grind was.  You had to complete 20 man to get to 40.  Yea having hard content is ok but a major grind no that hurt Wildstar.

Just out of sheer curiosity.  Would you play it again if they dropped Datascape from a 40 man raid to a 20 man?

No.  I play FFXIV now 8 man raids are easy to manage.  I was a Raid leader in the 40 man days and I can tell you while sometimes it was fun it was more often a pain in the ass.  Even 20 mans are way to large.  I also do not like the action combat its too twitch for me.  Tab target or nothing for my now a days.  

It's why WoW stepped away from 40 man raids, and why many people questioned Carbine's sanity when they adopted a model that the industry leader (that did it first) now abandoned (despite having more players than any other MMORPG).

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

It's usually the players doing it.

I think all the devs promised was a hardcore game for raiders. On which they delivered from everything I can tell without having played the game. It's not their fault that their target audience bailed on them when they realized that the feature they claimed to want the most wasn't all that appealing anymore once it came down to it.

This is what every one of my friends who hand playing Wildstar said.  They loved the idea then realized how much of a pain in the ass 20 and 40 man raiding is.

Funny a few of them are raiding 8 mans in SWTOR and many of them quit the genera after Wildstar.  O well it is what it is.  

Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

It's why WoW stepped away from 40 man raids, and why many people questioned Carbine's sanity when they adopted a model that the industry leader (that did it first) now abandoned (despite having more players than any other MMORPG).

I called it when they said they were doing 40 man raids.  I said thats nuts and it will never work again outside of a world boss where everyone can run up to and start beating on.  I got trolled for that.  Guess what Wildstar failed and I was correct.  Today I am a fan of the 8 man raiding because I can have my group of friends and dont need numbers just to have numbers.  

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    The population has grown in the last month with the 10 day free trial, my guild has picked yp 15 returning players in the last week. The game is on the upswing. It will be a slow growth but the game is in a very good place now (content wise) so when people come back they are surprised by how good the game is.
  • Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

i have no statistical data to support this but I am pretty sure that the majority of the gaming population is much older than studios/devs understand.

think 10 years ago that most 30 year olds were 20. As the primary audience grows older , devs haven't adjusted. WoW , caters to casuals because most of it's player base is now adults with families, kids , and what not.

A lot of us don't have time to dedicate to a hardcore schedule and most of your "hardcore" people get home from school or work and can spend 8 hours on a game. The "casuals" cannot. I don't play wow anymore or wildstar, but when i tried wildstar , i said to myself , "i only have time for one wow". I try to find mmo's that I can enjoy regardless of time, I believe swtor is really my best fit and I take breaks from that regularly. 

Wildstar needs to re work it's gameplay to cater to people that only have a couple hours and make that couple of hours engaging and worthwhile. Right now, it's just not worth logging in for an hour. I enjoyed warlords because it gave me an opportunity to feel progression with limited gameplay. 

The rise of multiplayer co-ops is really taking off more than MMO's as they are regressing because mmo's aren't adjusting to the maturation of it's player base.

So tldr; no. A change in mechanics to suit a broader base is the best option.

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by Demmi77

i have no statistical data to support this but I am pretty sure that the majority of the gaming population is much older than studios/devs understand.

think 10 years ago that most 30 year olds were 20. As the primary audience grows older , devs haven't adjusted. WoW , caters to casuals because most of it's player base is now adults with families, kids , and what not.

A lot of us don't have time to dedicate to a hardcore schedule and most of your "hardcore" people get home from school or work and can spend 8 hours on a game. The "casuals" cannot. I don't play wow anymore or wildstar, but when i tried wildstar , i said to myself , "i only have time for one wow". I try to find mmo's that I can enjoy regardless of time, I believe swtor is really my best fit and I take breaks from that regularly. 

Wildstar needs to re work it's gameplay to cater to people that only have a couple hours and make that couple of hours engaging and worthwhile. Right now, it's just not worth logging in for an hour. I enjoyed warlords because it gave me an opportunity to feel progression with limited gameplay. 

The rise of multiplayer co-ops is really taking off more than MMO's as they are regressing because mmo's aren't adjusting to the maturation of it's player base.

So tldr; no. A change in mechanics to suit a broader base is the best option.

They added more features to cater to people that only have an hour and to soloers. They added shiphand which are soloable instances that can be completed in 30 minutes. They added more quest areas for level cap. So there are more things to do with a short amount of time. You are not going to be able to raid in an hour but you can accomplish most the game has to offer if you can get a 2 hour window to play from time to time

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Helped TESO and it keeps GW2 doing solid, why wouldn't it help WS?
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977

Thoughts?

Once you have some real numbers you can post them, random internet numbers are.....random internet numbers.