Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think a payment model change would help WS population?

LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

I don't want to turn this is to a P2P or F2P war, but at what point do you think Carbine will cave in, or if not at all?

I honestly believe a good B2P model would do this game wonders population wise, and from reading forums and news it could use a great pop boost, especially on the PvP servers.

I hate to see this game go by the wayside, but I think something needs to be done to get new and returning players back into the game.

Thoughts?

«134

Comments

  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,000

    It will only help short term it will not fix the core problems.  I have over a dozen friends who rushed to Wildstar for 40 man raids and realized that their love was just nostalgia talking and getting 20 to 40 people together on the same page is a real pain in the ass and will never happen again like it happened in Vanilla WOW.  Vanilla WOW was great it was a time where people were willing to put a side personal goals for group goals at least to some level.  Today that just does not happen and never will again.  So that is wilstar is in the rut its in.  Bad design flaws based on nostalgia.  

    Also I know a lot of people who just will not do Action combat and didnt like it.  Also a lot of my friends who quit, quit very fast when they noticed how bad the grind was.  You had to complete 20 man to get to 40.  Yea having hard content is ok but a major grind no that hurt Wildstar.

  • TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Cost is not the issue. It has been proven that people will pay to play a fun game. You just need to have a game that is (and remains) fun to play.

    SWTOR Referral Link

    Free Goodies for new or returning players.

    See what it gets you Here

  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    I didn't like the game when I had the free trial... didn't even play for 3 days... payment model wasn't the reason I passed on this one.
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Lazzaro

    I don't want to turn this is to a P2P or F2P war, but at what point do you think Carbine will cave in, or if not at all?

    I honestly believe a good B2P model would do this game wonders population wise, and from reading forums and news it could use a great pop boost, especially on the PvP servers.

    I hate to see this game go by the wayside, but I think something needs to be done to get new and returning players back into the game.

    Thoughts?

     

    They don't really want more players, they want more profits.  One doesn't always lead to the other.

     

    Wildstar was damaged for a few reasons, WoW upgrading their graphics, developers giving bad messages (the feminist thing was dumb), horrible engine performance during beta and honestly a very weird tex avery art style.

     

    wildstar was a huge gamble and it failed, I can't see anything that can really make it popular.  All they can do is try to maximise profits from the base they have.

  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Regardless of the payment model, if the game is not fun, people will not play it.  F2P will lower the barrier to try it, but that doesn't mean people will stick around long to spend money in the cash shop.  Many people will be hesitant to pay a box price on a game that's unpopular with players of the genre.
  • vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 324

    This game is not for everyone (It is hard, Action combat, Cartoon Graphics, Cost Money ect..) but for me it is the most fun MMO

     The population is ok on the PvE server. The main problem is that the Queues don't pop because most people do premades. So when new people come and queue up they feel like no one must be playing. But if you join the global LFG chat channel there are always people forming groups that way. 

    If they went F2P there would be alot more players I am sure, but the game would not be better for it. The devs are busy trying to make the game better (For which they have done an amazing job). They are not busy trying to figure out how to monetize stuff. 

     

  • TimesplitTimesplit Member UncommonPosts: 191
    No, the payment model will not save the game. The mass exodus simply happened due to core issues being hard to ignore. Issues that should've been solved with the time they had to make the game.
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    You would think that by now FFXIV ARR's success would have quieted some of the cries for every game to be b2p/f2p.

    <3

  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by dreamscaper
    You would think that by now FFXIV ARR's success would have quieted some of the cries for every game to be b2p/f2p.

    Not every development studio has the resources that Square Enix does to basically overhaul 90% of a game.

  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    I see them holding on to sub modal as much they can, but b2p be good for them for higher Population, but the main core of the game need to be more welcome to casual players at this point of time if they want to keep people if they move to a new modal, I say forget trying to bring in more hardcore player as they lost them last year not going get them back even if put in 20 raids super mode.
  • chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291
    I will never play the game again no matter what. Hope this helps.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,674
    Originally posted by vtravi

    They are not busy trying to figure out how to monetize stuff. 

     

    Not that you know of. Trust me, every Dev worries about their game's income, since it's directly related to its existence. And to their job security.

    Originally posted by dreamscaper
    You would think that by now FFXIV ARR's success would have quieted some of the cries for every game to be b2p/f2p.

    You're comparing a hugely successful game to one that by all accounts doesn't seem to be doing well at all.

    Yes, a very good game with a loyal player base can afford to remain sub only, all the rest converts sooner or later, or closes up shop entirely.

    My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

    https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

  • DeSadeWhirlfistDeSadeWhirlfist Member UncommonPosts: 26
    As I said before Wildstar came out, it's a bust. Wildstar will now go on a money grab trying different ways to entice gamers. If you value you're hard earned money you won't fall for it.  When core gameplay can't keep you playin for longer then an hour, it doesn't matter what they change the game will always be a flop.  I know games that came out in 1999 with larger populations. Success in MMO's these days is comparing the current product to past products, along with comparing server populations.  I wouldn't be surprised to learn WildStar has less server populations then Everquest. Good luck tryin to fix the unfixable. There may be room in the "niche" market i'm sure there's some lonely 12yr old gamers out there that can't get enough Wildflop.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,291

    I never played it, but from reading the various threads, there were a lot of things people didn't like that weren't money related.  At this point, they would probably have to do a combo of pay method and significant changes.  They could definitely take a cue from ESO.

    Concentrate on enjoying yourself, and not on why I shouldn't enjoy myself.

  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

    To make B2P work you have to actually be able to sell boxes.  I don't see a game with poor reviews and poor word of mouth getting people to shell out for a $60 box just because they dropped the subscription. 

     

    Going F2P is really the only way you're getting people who weren't willing to buy a box at launch to give this game a second look.

     

    B2P could have worked if the game had launched B2P but it's too late now.

  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by nbtscan
    Originally posted by dreamscaper
    You would think that by now FFXIV ARR's success would have quieted some of the cries for every game to be b2p/f2p.

    Not every development studio has the resources that Square Enix does to basically overhaul 90% of a game.

    Even if they did have the resources, not every developer would have the balls to actually admit that the game they created was sub par and overhaul said game. FF XIV ARR could be considered an outlier rather than a norm in terms of how SE handled the game itself.

     

  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by dreamscaper
    You would think that by now FFXIV ARR's success would have quieted some of the cries for every game to be b2p/f2p.

    WS doesnt have sugar daddy to pay the bills. NCSoft isnt going to wait 10 years to break even on a game.

    And mandatory sub+cash shop is worse than b2p/f2p.

  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,377

    I think a revenue change could help the game. I don't think it's too late for B2P with additional optional revenue streams (rmt to gold, cash shop, dlc, subscription).

    Changing to B2P, like ESO, would bring back more existing players who have the potential to spend more money. An increased population could attract others, especially if they know a mandatory monthly fee isn't required after the initial purchase. It might not make the game hugely popular, but I think it could increase the population and revenue generation.

    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

    traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

  • GaendricGaendric Member UncommonPosts: 618

    Agree to the posters above who said Carbine needs to fix the core gameplay problems first.

    Otherwise even if a payment model change lured in some new blood, those people would leave quite quickly again.

     

  • KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by danwest58

    It will only help short term it will not fix the core problems.  I have over a dozen friends who rushed to Wildstar for 40 man raids and realized that their love was just nostalgia talking and getting 20 to 40 people together on the same page is a real pain in the ass and will never happen again like it happened in Vanilla WOW.  Vanilla WOW was great it was a time where people were willing to put a side personal goals for group goals at least to some level.  Today that just does not happen and never will again.  So that is wilstar is in the rut its in.  Bad design flaws based on nostalgia.  

    Also I know a lot of people who just will not do Action combat and didnt like it.  Also a lot of my friends who quit, quit very fast when they noticed how bad the grind was.  You had to complete 20 man to get to 40.  Yea having hard content is ok but a major grind no that hurt Wildstar.

    Just out of sheer curiosity.  Would you play it again if they dropped Datascape from a 40 man raid to a 20 man?

    I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by Torval

    I think a revenue change could help the game. I don't think it's too late for B2P with additional optional revenue streams (rmt to gold, cash shop, dlc, subscription).

    Changing to B2P, like ESO, would bring back more existing players who have the potential to spend more money. An increased population could attract others, especially if they know a mandatory monthly fee isn't required after the initial purchase. It might not make the game hugely popular, but I think it could increase the population and revenue generation.

    ESO still has console launch to go through. And i guess they numbercrunched its worth to spend some more money because of that.

    WS kinda floats in the air.

  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,768
    Originally posted by Lazzaro

    I don't want to turn this is to a P2P or F2P war, but at what point do you think Carbine will cave in, or if not at all?

    I honestly believe a good B2P model would do this game wonders population wise, and from reading forums and news it could use a great pop boost, especially on the PvP servers.

    I hate to see this game go by the wayside, but I think something needs to be done to get new and returning players back into the game.

    Thoughts?

    A change in payment model doesn't make game play better.  Also, people are not entitled to cheap games even if you believe B2P is your right.

    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

    Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

    https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

    Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

    John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

    FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

    LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"




  • KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by DeSadeWhirlfist
    As I said before Wildstar came out, it's a bust. Wildstar will now go on a money grab trying different ways to entice gamers. If you value you're hard earned money you won't fall for it.  When core gameplay can't keep you playin for longer then an hour, it doesn't matter what they change the game will always be a flop.  I know games that came out in 1999 with larger populations. Success in MMO's these days is comparing the current product to past products, along with comparing server populations.  I wouldn't be surprised to learn WildStar has less server populations then Everquest. Good luck tryin to fix the unfixable. There may be room in the "niche" market i'm sure there's some lonely 12yr old gamers out there that can't get enough Wildflop.

    To be fair, people were saying that they would go for a money grab after 1 month, 2 months, 3 months, 6 months.  Guess what, none of that has happened, and after their 2014 Q4 report which was particularly damning, NCSoft still said they had Carbine's back for their payment model and game direction, and that they would further fund a PR campaign when the major flaws were addressed.

    Granted, if you didn't like core aspects, then that will not be fixed.

    I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,674
    Originally posted by Torval

    I think a revenue change could help the game. I don't think it's too late for B2P with additional optional revenue streams (rmt to gold, cash shop, dlc, subscription).

    Changing to B2P, like ESO, would bring back more existing players who have the potential to spend more money. An increased population could attract others, especially if they know a mandatory monthly fee isn't required after the initial purchase. It might not make the game hugely popular, but I think it could increase the population and revenue generation.

    I'm fairly sure that sooner or later they'll convert. I think they are simply working their asses off at the moment to make the game more appealing for when they do.

    TSW also had an incredibly rough launch, and converted sometime later. (Although their problem was the opposite of WS. They hardly sold any boxes and had low population. WS sold lots of copies, but had terrible bad player/sub retention.)

    My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

    https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

  • KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Gaendric

    Agree to the posters above who said Carbine needs to fix the core gameplay problems first.

    Otherwise even if a payment model change lured in some new blood, those people would leave quite quickly again.

    Which core gameplay problems need fixing?  Many issues they had at launch have been addressed.

    I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

Sign In or Register to comment.