Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

H1Z1 is not an MMO, stop calling it that.

2»

Comments

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I can call my cat a dog all day long, it won't make him a dog.

Games like D3 and SC2 are not MMOs just because they are online. MH is not an MMO. PS2 you can call an MMO though. Never played H1Z1 so cannot comment on it.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

Just a friendly public service announcement, an MMO does not require a persistent world. It only requires a massive amount of people playing a game together in one world/instance.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by madazz
    Just a friendly public service announcement, an MMO does not require a persistent world. It only requires a massive amount of people playing a game together in one world/instance. 

Exactly. But 100 players per server isn't really that massive now, is it?

I start calling it a MASSIVE Multiplayer Online game, when there's atleast thousands of players in the same gameworld / on the same server.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by sludgebeard

Seriously, I listened to a podcast of some relatively we'll known steamers and they kept saying "This MMO H1Z1...".

It's not an MMO! It's not even like it's close to being one, if you have a lobby with no persistent world, then it's not an MMO. Period.

Anyone else ticked off about this constant mislabeling of AAA games as MMOs?

Well, I find it funny when someone calls mmoRPGs simply MMOs.  One thing I am certain on, is us little forum dwellers don't get any say over what they call their game.

I'm guessing most people use "MMO", because it's shorter to type, not necessarily because they want to intentionally leave out the RPG part.

As for what constitutes an MMO...

Persistent virtual world,  with player capacities that went beyond the 32-64 player multiplayer maximum.

Back in the days, multiplayer was usually limited to 32 players maximum for one server, then eventually 64, and now it goes upwards to 256 in some games.

Persistence is usually the defining factor for an MMO though, along with a shared environment, unlike most multiplayer games where players are separated by servers.

People have their own definitions though, but i consider H1Z1 an MMO.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Originally posted by sludgebeard

Seriously, I listened to a podcast of some relatively we'll known steamers and they kept saying "This MMO H1Z1...".

It's not an MMO! It's not even like it's close to being one, if you have a lobby with no persistent world, then it's not an MMO. Period.

Anyone else ticked off about this constant mislabeling of AAA games as MMOs?

Clearly you aren't talking about H1Z1 if you think its a AAA game. :P

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Yahoo checkers! Long running MMO, tons of users. Come on guys what are you waiting for?
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

An MMO does NOT REQUIRE A PERSISTENT WORLD. 

You guys who think you know what an MMO is and isn't are ridiculous. No where is Massively Multiplayer Online does it say PERSISTENT.

An MMO is simply: Massively Multiplayer Online. If I am in one world with a massive amount of people playing together and its online its an MMO. It does not matter if that world lasts only 15 minutes and disappears. For 15 minutes I was playing an MMO because a massive amount of people were playing it WITH me. 

So while H1Z1 is not an MMO, you thinking it needs to be persistent is ALSO wrong.

Number one requirement of MMO is to have persistent world. Its not included in name , but not everything can be.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

An MMO does NOT REQUIRE A PERSISTENT WORLD. 

You guys who think you know what an MMO is and isn't are ridiculous. No where is Massively Multiplayer Online does it say PERSISTENT.

An MMO is simply: Massively Multiplayer Online. If I am in one world with a massive amount of people playing together and its online its an MMO. It does not matter if that world lasts only 15 minutes and disappears. For 15 minutes I was playing an MMO because a massive amount of people were playing it WITH me. 

So while H1Z1 is not an MMO, you thinking it needs to be persistent is ALSO wrong.

Persistence is part of RPGs though, hence MMO-RPG.

The early MMORPGs had persistence because of their nature.

H1Z1 is an MMO.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    I don't care if ppl call this game a MMO. The term MMO is used for about any online game nowadays. All I know is that it is a light weight MMO :p Lacking diversity in content and features.