Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gimbal mounts for your weapons 7$ a pop

Comments

• ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Originally posted by motanila
    Originally posted by ElirionLoth

Free or not , they are to rent the equipment for couple of days.

If you want to own the equipment you have to use RL $$.

Altough spending lke 50$ to fit the ship is not the end of the world

Or you could wait until the PU is released and buy the equipment with in game currency.  The only money you must spend is the purchase price of the game.

Sure , if you don;r mind beeing owned by pretty much anything untill the game is out ie 2 years at best.

If the PU was a 1v1 battleground game then you might have a point but it's not.  Smart players will be part of a strong corporation or group of players and won't get involved in 1v1 fights with bigger ships.  If you are just referring to AC then I don't really care.  That is just a testing ground.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Erillion
    Originally posted by ElirionLoth

Or you could wait until the PU is released and buy the equipment with in game currency.  The only money you must spend is the purchase price of the game.

Sure , if you don;r mind beeing owned by pretty much anything untill the game is out ie 2 years at best.

Or .. you know ... you could become a better pilot/gunner   ;-)

Have fun

My favourite line from the "white knight defence" is: "Buying expensive weapons in the Cash Shop will not make you a great player, skill is still the most important factor".

The only problem with that logic is that when you examine it closely, you realise that a player with BOTH skill AND cash is going to wipe the floor with 90% of the rest. The problem is that "good" players often tend to be very competitive, and that means using all means at their disposal to increase their win chances.

It's a myth that "good players don't have to cheat". A skilled player who knows how to cheat subtly will be basically unbeatable, as well as being almost undetectable in normal play (outside of official competitions).

"It doesn't matter if you're not the best. What matters is that everyone must think you are."

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

You do not have to pay any real world money.

Backers just got 5000 REC in game virtual currency for free to try out the new equipment. You can get more just by playtesting.

Important note ... if you use gimbal mounts, you can only use a weapon one size smaller than the size of the hardpoint. So if you are a better pilot that does not need gimbal mounts, you pack more of a punch.

Have fun

However you have NO control over them adding more and more and more  which they have been doing.Since we have already seen how UNFAIR they are in these costs,do you really think they are going to just allow you as a backer to now have a free ride,honestly?This rmt cash shop will NEVER stop and once they have everyone hooked in,they have you for even more.

I see almost nobody saying "ok i spent 200 now 300 now 500,this is retarded,i quit".

I saw this type of gimmick first hand playing some of those old 2D games by Hunted Cow for example,people become so locked in they spend in the thousands,multi thousands and it never ends.

At 180 bucks a month tops,not including discount pricing, in sub fees i can play a game that is designed FAIR for 6+ years before i spend 1000 bucks.You can rest assured that some players will have spent over a thousand dollars before the game is even released.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

>>>>This rmt cash shop will NEVER stop >>>

Well, at the moment the official line is ... they will stop selling ships  for dollar at game launch. You may speculate all you want if that will change.

>>>>and once they have everyone hooked in,they have you for even more.>>>

Well, in my case ... no .. they would not. I cannot speak for anyone else.

I paid once, a pledge package of the size I have chosen. I did not add anything to it. If real world cash expenditure becomes mandatory, they would not get more from me.

Its as simple as that ..... I chose how much i spend.

Have fun

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

I'm sure I remember you saying you had a subscription package and if I remember correctly none of the ships come with a subscription, so technically, you did add something to it :) Perhaps as much as $576.

Curious if you have the $12 or $24 sub and do you consider it good value for money? I must admit I was surprised they don't even give a discount if you pay for a year in advance.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Well, at the moment the official line is ... they will stop selling ships  for dollar at game launch. You may speculate all you want if that will change.

It already changed more than a year ago when Ben said they would sell ships post launch if they felt the community wanted it.

It's kind of obvious what that means.

Also CR mentioned in a recent interview that they wanted people to "pay to be lazy" by providing in-game assets for real cash.

If you honestly think they'll suddenly stop their entire successful business on launch you're in for an obvious surprise ;)

..Cake..

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

>>>>This rmt cash shop will NEVER stop >>>

They may stop selling ships, but they will just simply replace it with other things  that are also valuable in-game.

Weapons, ships insurances,  blueprints for rare ships, better shild generators / armour, they will think of something.

That is business that Star Citizen is.  pre-orders and RMT sales for game that is under developement.

Originally posted by rpmcmurphy

I'm sure I remember you saying you had a subscription package and if I remember correctly none of the ships come with a subscription, so technically, you did add something to it :) Perhaps as much as $576.

Curious if you have the $12 or $24 sub and do you consider it good value for money? I must admit I was surprised they don't even give a discount if you pay for a year in advance.

I did not add to it as i paid for it when i initially bought my pledge package. I wanted my name in the game ;-)

Did i consider it good value for money ? Yes.   I like the Jump-Point magazine, especially the Sci-Fi short stories. Its was also nice to be able to test-fly ships not in my pledge package with my access tokens (that was long before the introduction of REC).

Have fun

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347

I suggest playing Elite: Dangerous.

Gimballed weapons are purchased with ingame credits, just like everything else for your ship (cosmetic paint schemes being the ONLY exception, and those don't effect ship performance in any way, shape or form).

ED is the far superior product in terms of value and actual entertainment. They also aren't betting the farm on bad players buying ships to gain a substantial advantage over those who haven't.

Have fun.

Originally posted by sgel

It already changed more than a year ago when Ben said they would sell ships post launch if they felt the community wanted it.

Go on. Tell the rest. They DID ask the community. The community did not want it. So they will not do it. Do not tell only half the story.

@Sulaa ....  since the project was started more than two years ago it is known that there will be a shop where some things can be bought. That is nothing new. Temporary tune-up kits, ship-skins, some non-military grade equipment, decorative items etc.  No ships !  You can read all the details about it ... in posts starting from the end of 2012 ;-)

Have fun

@Sulaa ....  since the project was started more than two years ago it is known that there will be a shop where some things can be bought. That is nothing new. Temporary tune-up kits, ship-skins, some non-military grade equipment, decorative items etc.  No ships !  You can read all the details about it ... in posts starting from the end of 2012 ;-)

Words are cheap and actions speaks volumes.

I think it's you who'll be surprised.

Time will tell I guess.

Go on. Tell the rest. They DID ask the community. The community did not want it. So they will not do it. Do not tell only half the story.

No they didn't. Ben was talking about asking the community closer to release.

Also that CR interview was very recent.

You can try and deny it all you like... but we both know they're going to be selling ships and many other in-game assets post launch.

Especially since they'll need to maintain all those servers they're going to be needing.

..Cake..

.... but we both know they're going to be selling ships
    --> Nope. YOU assume. I do not know.
    and many other in-game assets post launch.
    --> That they sell some things (but no ships) in a shop is a known fact since 2012. No news there. 

Especially since they'll need to maintain all those servers they're going to be needing.

--> That is - as you well know - why they still accept donations, even though the projected cost of the game is already covered. They plan to run the servers for at least a decade.

--> Have fun

--> That is - as you well know - why they still accept donations, even though the projected cost of the game is already covered. They plan to run the servers for at least a decade.

What?

You think they're going to run the servers on donations?

:D

..Cake..

What?

A crowdfunding pledge IS a donation.

And a significant part of 77 mil IS a nice sum to run (or rent) a server farm. Keep also in mind that  ".... to reduce server costs, Star Citizen will use dynamic instancing  to limit the number of players that can interact at once, while still offering a unified game world. As Chris Roberts put it, "if there were 10,000 people in orbit around Earth, that'd be 100 different instances of 100 different people." If instancing does happen, players will be able to travel between instances and join other players. Dynamic instancing has been said to apply to spaceship combat as well as planet side rooms such as bars and orbit areas of space. You can follow your friends or other 'Persons of Interest' (POI) by tagging them with a yet unknown in-game system. This will allow you to follow people for missions through multiple instances. Friends may also join you in a battle instance if they are in your system, or if you have a multi-crew ship like the Constellation (4 crew max) then your friends can drop in, run around the ship as in a FPS and man the turrets, the cockpit, or the fighter. The full implementation is still under development on how it will be applied to other aspects of the game."

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Citizen

Have fun

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    .... but we both know they're going to be selling ships
    --> Nope. YOU assume. I do not know.
    and many other in-game assets post launch.
    --> That they sell some things (but no ships) in a shop is a known fact since 2012. No news there. 

--> Have fun

They have made over 75 million dollars by selling ships for a game that has not even been finished yet. Do you honestly think that Chris Roberts is going to shoot that revenue stream in the face when the game launches?

What?

Yes but every single "donation" to SC has had  an appropriate "goods" assigned to it in the form of an in-game asset (a ship is the most common obviously).

Are you saying that these "donations" post launch will also have something attached to them?

..Cake..

Yes but every single "donation" to SC has had  an appropriate "goods" assigned to it in the form of an in-game asset (a ship is the most common obviously).

Are you saying that these "donations" post launch will also have something attached to them?

To my knowledge there will be no donations post launch. Here is what is known to the community:

1) There will be a price for the finished game for non backers (around 50 ish bucks, like any normal game)

2) There will be an in game shop for things (except ships) (temporary tune-ups, ship skins, some non-military equipment etc.) to be paid with real world money  (microtransaction style). You can buy something, but its not necessary.

3) There will be extra storyline mission packages for Squadron 42 solo campaign (beyond the first 40 missions) - like Wing Commander Mission Discs. To be sold separately. For those who prefer the solo campaign. Again ... nice, but not necessary for the players of the Persistent Universe.

If you have any knowledge (NOT speculation) about other aspects of the Star Citizen monetization plan ... lets hear it.

Have fun

What?

Not really. 

It's preordering Star Citizen and virtual goods in it.

There is money going from hand to hand for specific promised goods.

Again.  Actions > Words.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Originally posted by GolbezTheLion

I suggest playing Elite: Dangerous.

Gimballed weapons are purchased with ingame credits, just like everything else for your ship (cosmetic paint schemes being the ONLY exception, and those don't effect ship performance in any way, shape or form).

ED is the far superior product in terms of value and actual entertainment. They also aren't betting the farm on bad players buying ships to gain a substantial advantage over those who haven't.

Have fun.

This, I will play SC and think it will have some interesting things to do in it.  Right now though for me it is boring as I am not so much into pew pew pew and anything I do in Ac etc just feels like a waste of my time as I am not in the mood to test the game for them.

Some of the pricing is worrisome I agree but people going on and on about REC are being hilariously narrow minded or misunderstand how little REC will matter in the live game.  REC will have zero impact on the PU when it releases unless you count people getting hands on experience with the items they use in there as p2w. 

If anything the pricing of the ships they are selling is the biggest turn off for me right now.  I have an alpha Avenger package, which incidentally went from being a boom and zoom ship to nimble dancer fighter type, and a LTI herald and I pretty much will stop there unless they stop with the DUR jump point min size nerf.

Till SC is actually a real playable game with a live verse and not just some lobby pew pew pew I will be in Elite Dangerous maxing out everyship I can buy and have parked at Jameson Memorial.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• TswordZTswordZ Member UncommonPosts: 66

Hmm, the thread was about the gimbal or financiation?

Whatever, gimbals are cheap with REC, and useful for mouse users. Joystick users can use better the standard mounts, so they can hit harder.

And it's funny how someone could say "They will sell ships after Gold", but can't accept others people say "The won't sell ships after Gold". For now, what we know is they said they won't sell ships for money, just standard gear, skins, character slots and things like that. What happen when the time comes nobody knows exactly.

And about the PTW... well, if the Arena Commander is important for some people, yep, it could be considered PTW, although we can get the powerful ships with REC right now also. In the Persistent Universe that would be irrelevant, as combat it's just one facet of the game and the universe is big enough for avoid them if I know what I'm doing.

Originally posted by TswordZ

And it's funny how someone could say "They will sell ships after Gold", but can't accept others people say "The won't sell ships after Gold".

Why is it funny for someone to not believe the exact opposite of what they believe?

For now, what we know is they said they won't sell ships for money, just standard gear, skins, character slots and things like that. What happen when the time comes nobody knows exactly.

No, what we know is that Ben mentioned that they would sell ships post launch if the community wants it.

Some people think that a company that has a successful multi-million dollar income scheme, wouldn't abandon it on a single day. It's makes sense for them to continue it, doesn't it?

..Cake..

No, what we know is that Ben mentioned that they would sell ships post launch if the community wants it.

Lets put that urban legend to rest, shall we ?

"...There has been questions about this recently, but Ben says that the post PU launch package will have Auroras...."

And the Aurora is the ***drum roll*** starter ship.

Have fun

• TswordZTswordZ Member UncommonPosts: 66

And it's funny how someone could say "They will sell ships after Gold", but can't accept others people say "The won't sell ships after Gold".

Why is it funny for someone to not believe the exact opposite of what they believe?

For now, what we know is they said they won't sell ships for money, just standard gear, skins, character slots and things like that. What happen when the time comes nobody knows exactly.

Some people think that a company that has a successful multi-million dollar income scheme, wouldn't abandon it on a single day. It's makes sense for them to continue it, doesn't it?

hehe, about the first, is about the certainty that they have :-)

And about the second, I think they won't sell ships after launch because in that moment they don't have the "protection" of "the pledge is a donation for make the game possible". The game then is already done, so they would have worst press than now for the PTW and blahblahblah.

But, in the end, we'll know for sure when the time comes. I don't think they will ruin this as Trion did with Archeage, but I don't blind myself, I just hope for the best, but seeing all the posibilities.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

hehe, about the first, is about the certainty that they have :-)

And about the second, I think they won't sell ships after launch because in that moment they don't have the "protection" of "the pledge is a donation for make the game possible". The game then is already done, so they would have worst press than now for the PTW and blahblahblah.

But, in the end, we'll know for sure when the time comes. I don't think they will ruin this as Trion did with Archeage, but I don't blind myself, I just hope for the best, but seeing all the posibilities.

If I'm a business man sitting in a office looking at sales numbers for ships in SC during development it would be pretty hard to convince me that the community doesn't want ships for sale in the game store after launch at this point.  There will be a standard starter ship that comes with buying the game obviously but I would be very surprised if there wasn't options to upgrade to additional ships by sending more money.  Given how easily the community accepted ship sales it would be silly to abandoned such a accepted practice post launch.

It's like those gambling boxes.  People complain about them to no end but at the end of the day they make way more money than the people who leave would have spent so the companies come out ahead on them.  All the bad press in the world is meaningless if most people ignore it and buy the items anyways.