Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 10 release date official. THIS SUMMER.

2»

Comments

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Windows 10 will be leased year per year like the Adobe apps...
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    I have Win7 on my current rig. I built it when Win7 was released and still have all the original parts after all these years. When Win10 is released I want to build a new rig with new parts. Will I get the upgrade for free and still be able to use my now old computer?
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    I'm curious about what they're going to do with Internet Explorer.  MS says they're working on a brand new browser, "Spartan".  But how much of IE's codebase will they try to recycle and how closely will they build it into the OS.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Gildenlore
    Like I said, Linux lacks support from hardware manufacturers, but that doesn't mean it isn't better than Windows.

And you will find that the community will pan 1st party drivers because it isn't open source.

Its not just the manufactures responsibility to provide drivers, the community needs a change in thinking.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

The free upgrade for a year thing is smart.  How many people at the end of the year are going to go though the trouble of reformatting their hard drive and downgrading when they can just put in a credit card number and reup for another year?  It gets people to buy into their new subscription model for software.

It's a good business decision for a company looking out 1-3 years into the future vs the next two quarters.

• GildenloreGildenlore Member Posts: 23
    I agree with you 100%, Nitth.  Debian's development is strictly based on non-proprietory software/drivers, which has stunted its growth from day one...and the main reason why I'm stuck using Windows as a primary OS for gaming.

"Walk soft on the Paths of Society...For Subtlety is the Blessing of Sanctuary."

- anonymous

• chucky999chucky999 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Originally posted by Pepeq

How much per lease? and what happens when we can't afford it?

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by chucky999

He's making a silly joke. It won't be leased.

You either get in the first year, which means it's free if you had Windows 7 or 8.

Or you get it past the first year in which case you pay $99 OEM once for a DVD or download most likely.

• chucky999chucky999 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

You either get in the first year, which means it's free if you had Windows 7 or 8.

Or you get it past the first year in case you pay $99 once for a DVD or download.

Then why have a time limit of 1 year?

Or you get it past the first year in case you pay $99 once for a DVD or download.

It's not really a limit per se.

You're most likely going to get a download link and key by email, like you do when you upgraded online from 7 to 8. So after that you can keep downloading it as much as you like and reuse the key.

Why microsoft only allows you to get it for free in the first year..most likely to entice people to upgrade as soon as possible. Windows 10 will give Windows 7 users access to the metro apps. Having more people on Windows 10 will indirectly make Microsoft money, even if the upgrade is free, since it will simply increase the amount of people who could potentially buy metro apps through the store.

here you go, this is what is most likely going to happen

-get it within the first year..you get it for free..and you'll always have your key, so you can reinstall it for free whenever (you'll get an email download link)

-if you missed the boat, and waited a year, you pay a one-time fee, and you get your key like in the past when you bought windows

so depending on when you upgraded, you belong either to the green box (in case you did it within the first year), or you belong to the orange box (in case you waited a year)

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Let's say they had a special offer instead where you could upgrade to WIN10 for $29.99 for the first 3 months after release... what's the problem with that?

Now change the $29.99 to $0.00 and the 3 months to one year.

You've never seen time-limited offers before?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Alverant
    I have Win7 on my current rig. I built it when Win7 was released and still have all the original parts after all these years. When Win10 is released I want to build a new rig with new parts. Will I get the upgrade for free and still be able to use my now old computer?
    Maybe.

It's possible you will be able to install Windows 10 on both PC, your old and new one. Your old will be recognsized as a genuine Windows 7 install, since it is. Your new PC will be regarded as an unactivated Windows 7 version, but since MS will allow even pirated copies to activate, it might allow unactivated copies to upgrade too.

It might be worth a shot to install Windows 7 with your old disc on your new PC and see if MS allows you to upgrade to Windows 10 for free.

On the other hand, maybe they will only allow genuine and pirated versions to be upgraded, and not unactivated (a pirated version is still technically an activated version, it was just done illegitimately)

• LheiahLheiah Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Let me know when day 364 of release arrives. I hate upgrading to a new OS when it first comes out.
  • Dexter2010Dexter2010 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Originally posted by dave6660
    I'm curious about what they're going to do with Internet Explorer.  MS says they're working on a brand new browser, "Spartan".  But how much of IE's codebase will they try to recycle and how closely will they build it into the OS.

Hope it's nothing like Chrome.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by haplo602
    Originally posted by fivoroth Originally posted by MisterZebub Originally posted by DocBrody yay, free stuff!   where's the catch? Does it come with the NSA surveillance trojan preloaded?
    Well after a year if most people buy into the "Free Stuff Woo Hoo" bullshit, MS will finally be able to kill off Windows 7 and then rape your wallet for the price of Win 10 because you will no longer have a decent alternative. A captive audience is the best audience.
    What is this crap? You upgrade to windows 10 in the first year and then you keep it forever? What was your point exactly?
    hmm let's see ... I have a copy of win7, I use the upgrade offer. After the free year is up, I have to reinstall the PC because of whatever (virus, malware, PEBKAC ...). I still only have the win7 copy and have to pay for the upgrade this time ???

I don't believe that is the way it works. It's free for the first year - you get it in that year it's free.

There is no 1 year timer on the software you get. The license is the full license.

THe 1 year only applies to eligibility to get your license, provided you are eligible (have a current, valid Win7/8/8.1 license).

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

here you go, this is what is most likely going to happen-get it within the first year..you get it for free..and you'll always have your key, so you can reinstall it for free whenever (you'll get an email download link)-if you missed the boat, and waited a year, you pay a one-time fee, and you get your key like in the past when you bought windows so depending on when you upgraded, you belong either to the green box (in case you did it within the first year), or you belong to the orange box (in case you waited a year)

Good graphic - this is how I understand it to work as well.