Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Installation problem Adobe Air

DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

When Kano pulled out his crystal ball and predicted ESO to go b2p I bought a copy for cheap.

Now that the transition was made I decided to give it a go while the starter zones are probably all lively again.

The installation isn't working however - it keeps telling me:

C:Adobe AIRVersions1.0Adobe AIR.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error.

So having no idea what Adobe Air is, I googled it - installed the newest version - didn't help.

So I used Sage Google again and found old threads of someone claiming that version 4.0 would work.

I found some archives for this but the older version doesn't want to install. Either it's broken or too outdated, I'm not sure.

The official statement of Zenimax I found about this problem is: download the game instead.

I want to avoid that option cause I live in the middle of nowhere and this would mean 30 hours of downloading with my complete bandwith being sucked up.

My OS is Win7 64bit - any input that is more helpful than "download it" is welcome.

Harbinger of Fools

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by Distopia

Did you read through any of this?

https://helpx.adobe.com/air/kb/troubleshoot-air-installation-windows.html

No, just like I guess you didn't read my post either.

"Before you begin troubleshooting your problem, get the latest version of Adobe AIR for your operating system."

The newest version installs without any problems - but ESO doesn't accept the newest version.

Harbinger of Fools
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Dakeru
    Originally posted by Distopia

Did you read through any of this?

https://helpx.adobe.com/air/kb/troubleshoot-air-installation-windows.html

No, just like I guess you didn't read my post either.

"Before you begin troubleshooting your problem, get the latest version of Adobe AIR for your operating system."

The newest version installs without any problems - but ESO doesn't accept the newest version.

Well my bad, there's a lot more there than just that, like links to what problems could be, but hey if you don't want folks to try and help don't ask.

I didn't mean anything negative I just asked if you had looked through it, in case you already had... Last time I start doing google searches for people here, that's for sure.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

why a game needs Adobe Air to run properly is beyond me. The only reason i have that crap on my pc is because when i try to uninstall it it warns me that my Rosetta Stone would not work properly without it.

Sigh.... Adobe, go jump off a dry bridge :/

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Unless you work with Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Dreamweaver.....basically Adobe multimedia software then I would just delete it.  Adobe Air is just there to keep your Adobe products up to date easier.  It was probably pre-installed on your comp when you bought it like how MS Office is , which sits on your computer until you delete it or activate it (pay for it separately).  <--MS office, not Adobe Air

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Unless you work with Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Dreamweaver.....basically Adobe multimedia software then I would just delete it.  Adobe Air is just there to keep your Adobe products up to date easier.  It was probably pre-installed on your comp when you bought it like how MS Office is , which sits on your computer until you delete it or activate it (pay for it separately).  <--MS office, not Adobe Air

ill uninstall Air and see if Rosetta stone still works, i dont like having Adobe stuff that i dont use on my pc. I only use reader for pdf. As for MS Office, i use LibreOffice so i rather buy games with the cost of a MS Office license image. And photoshop's price gives me headaches so GIMP is my choice too image im cheap when it comes to software i wont use on a daily basis.

Sorry but you didn't read my post either.

*edit*

My bad didn't see you meant him.

I'm just somewhat grumpy at this point. I expect shit like this from companies like StarVault but not from Zenimax.

Harbinger of Fools
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

*edit*

I'm just somewhat grumpy at this point. I expect shit like this from companies like StarVault but not from Zenimax.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but you might as well DL the whole thing since it's barely larger than the patch you have to DL anyway for the 1.6 update. That patch is ~ 25GB and if you have an older disk, it's needed.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425

*edit*

Have you tried rebooting in safe mode and run the installation manually?

Originally posted by carotid

Have you tried rebooting in safe mode and run the installation manually?

Hmm no. Would that potentially make a difference?

Harbinger of Fools
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Download the game from the ESO website... even their support site says to do so in lieu of using the installation discs.
    Originally posted by Pepeq
    Download the game from the ESO website... even their support site says to do so in lieu of using the installation discs.

Yeah thing is I am one of those strange guys who buy something and expect it to work.

It's a weird concept in times of kickstarter I know but I am old fashioned like that.

Harbinger of Fools
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

I'd have to agree with downloading the entire thing.  Sounds like you have an older version of ESO and their have been reports that ESO will just D/L the whole thing again if it detects problems when it does update. 

Also check your uninstall directory you may have additional versions of adobe air on your computer.  Some updaters don't uninstall older versions. 

I have win7  X64 with Adobe Air 3.8 running ESO with no problems.  My gaming laptop (Win7 x64) doesn't have Air on it at all and is running ESO.

Here's the link to download the installer:

http://elderscrolls-a.akamaihd.net/products/BNA_Launcher/Install_ESO.exe

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Originally posted by Octagon7711

I'd have to agree with downloading the entire thing.  Sounds like you have an older version of ESO and their have been reports that ESO will just D/L the whole thing again if it detects problems when it does update. 

Also check your uninstall directory you may have additional versions of adobe air on your computer.  Some updaters don't uninstall older versions. 

I have win7  X64 with Adobe Air 3.8 running ESO with no problems.  My gaming laptop (Win7 x64) doesn't have Air on it at all and is running ESO.

In that case I have no choice but I do feel this is fail on a large scale. I don't understand why the discs require this adobe tool and I understand even less how just a year later the discs aren't compatible with the newest version anymore.

Harbinger of Fools
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Yeah thing is I am one of those strange guys who buy something and expect it to work.

It's a weird concept in times of kickstarter I know but I am old fashioned like that.

Old fashion?  You weren't a gamer in the 80s then.  Lots of hand tweaking going on back then. :wink::

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by waynejr2

Old fashion?  You weren't a gamer in the 80s then.  Lots of hand tweaking going on back then. :wink::

My C64 never let me down and the discs are still working.  Buying dvds which stop working after a year is a new trend.

Harbinger of Fools
  • jerkbeastjerkbeast Member UncommonPosts: 255
    LOAD "*" 8 should do the trick!
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Does this game seriously require Adobe Air?  I was JUST about to buy it, but if that's the case I'll pass to keep that stuff off of my computers.  I don't even install Flash on my iMac, I'm certainly not about to install it and Adobe Air.
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Weird

I dont have Adobe Air and installed from the discs a few months ago. Never had any issues.