Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After 10 yrs of MMO hopping, I can't believe I finally settled down...

12346»

Comments

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by YashaX
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

The point is not whether I like the combat in FFXIV; the point is that in the mmos I like no fanboi has to defend the combat by saying it is good when you get to the end of the game and play in a group. In fact in this thread I have not given any opinion on the combat in FFXIV. You are just another hypersensitive person lashing out at anyone who even gives the hint of criticism.

Sounds like your MMO is not popular and a great success then. Haters have no eye for quality but haters do not care about irrelevant games.

Take this thread, multiply it by ten and you get an average WoW complaining thread. Is WoW combat bad? According to you the very fact there are haters implies it is. No matter how out of this world the complaints actually are.

I haven't said anything negative about FFXIV. You said the combat only gets good at the end of the game when you are in a group, and I said that doesn't sound very good. From there you have extrapolated that differences in combat between games are "just in my head", the games I play are not popular and are unsuccessful,  that I think WoW combat is bad, that the combat in every mmo is boring until the end, that encounters in all mmos are simple and easy, that combat in a game is actually better the more people say they think combat in a game is bad, and basically just being an all round nasty-pasty.

I didn't even say that, danwest did. But yes, you implied that if the game worked that way it's a bad thing. The fact your statement is negative towards FFXIV is the implication that not every MMO works this way (which you further emphasized in your other posts). I argued that implication to be completely flawed. The rest of the argument is not based on only your original statement but your responses from thereafter as well. So please stop acting like all my criticism is based on only the original sentence. You have said a lot more since then. And please stop acting like you didn't say anything negative towards FFXIV. That combat gets truly good at endgame is an attribute to all MMOs, not at all specific to FFXIV as you have been implying.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by vandal5627
    Originally posted by danwest58
    Originally posted by jgn77
    How can you guys like the combat? I mean the GCD is a full second? Try playing a game like Tera or ESO then switch to FFIVX....Its brutal. 

Did you get to 50 because the higher you get the faster combat gets.  I have come across too many people that bitch about combat at level 13 and soloing.  Combat is very different at 50 with a group.  

You have to get to the end of the game and then fight in a group before combat gets much different. Sounds good ;)

Now is the time to act like this isn't true for any MMO ever and only somehow applies to FFXIV? Thanks for letting us know bud.

First the combat teaches you how to play, then it starts to gradually push your limits more and more culminating in endgame. Such a weird concept for sure, and a deeply flawed one at that.

No mmo I like has me waiting until the game is finished before I can enjoy the combat, and then only in a group- bud.

Just understand that it is not based on any significant difference between that game and FFXIV but is something completely in your head. In any MMO the encounters are simple and easy and no matter how the game goes about its combat does not change the fact. Basically you and many others like you simply have an attitude issue which makes you unable to enjoy the FFXIV combat. Too bad.

It looks more like you are overly sensitive to any slight criticism of your new home. I am not the person who said "combat is different at 50 with a group" - those were your words. All of the mmos I like have pretty enjoyable combat even at lower levels. I don't know why you have to get in a huff about it and start deriding people that like games with good combat, or arrogantly claiming that the difference between other games and FFXIV is "all in my head", lol.

Uh...of course it's all in your head.  You don't like the combat in ARR, good for you.  I bet you can name the games you like the combat in and there will be people that enjoy ARR's combat more than those games.  So what's good combat to you IS all in your head.  Don't confuse what YOU think is good combat is actually GOOD for everyone else.

You mean others don't you?

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

People who focus too heavily on the combat instead of the game as a whole will likely not enjoy the leveling process. I personally enjoyed the combat from the beginning and thought it was awesome, though I was more focused on the atmosphere, story and other stuff.

The combat does get intense near the end. The regular dungeons aren't overly hard or anything (mostly), but the primal fights, and raids if you choose to do them, are the real challenge. These primal fights aren't all at the end-game, and there are a few during the main story starting around level 20 that are somewhat challenging if you're new to them, or better yet, the entire team is new, but you'll likely end up getting some experienced players at this point and the fights may seem trivial.

Anyway, love this game, yada yada, people who like it can like it, people who hate it can go somewhere else. No point in arguing about it.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Ghavrigg

People who focus too heavily on the combat instead of the game as a whole will likely not enjoy the leveling process. I personally enjoyed the combat from the beginning and thought it was awesome, though I was more focused on the atmosphere, story and other stuff.

The combat does get intense near the end. The regular dungeons aren't overly hard or anything (mostly), but the primal fights, and raids if you choose to do them, are the real challenge. These primal fights aren't all at the end-game, and there are a few during the main story starting around level 20 that are somewhat challenging if you're new to them, or better yet, the entire team is new, but you'll likely end up getting some experienced players at this point and the fights may seem trivial.

Anyway, love this game, yada yada, people who like it can like it, people who hate it can go somewhere else. No point in arguing about it.

Heh

"Guys!.......You have to kill the nail!"

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I just came back to this game on PC after a long absence.

I played beta on PC and PS3 on release. Didn't last too long, ended up trading in the PS3 a few months later.

Since then, spent a good chunk of time in various other MMOs... console games... etc.

I actually LOVE the slower pace of combat. I'm still pretty low level, and I'm playing currently as a tanking class - not meant for speedy kills in the first place.

Yeah, I'm hitting the same two buttons over and over again to kill stuff. 

But honestly?

This world just has so much charm, the animations and ability/spell effects are so well done, the monsters so unique and interesting compared to other MMOs... the music, the characters themselves, the sounds and day/night cycle and weather...

I remember exactly why I loved this game so much.

I should have stuck to PC from the get go! 

I guess I really don't like twitch mechanics in my MMOs. Even having to move out of the red circles and such to avoid heavy monster attacks in FFXIV is pretty blah to me. I play FPS for twitch.

Anyways, I'm taking my time - not playing too much too quickly, really exploring the game - reading all of the dialogue and not skipping through any cutscenes...  I want to try out a bunch of new classes I haven't played before once I get the ability to job change.

I forgot how awesome and amazing the armory/job system is. They've added a good number of quality of life features and changes too. The game just run great even on my laptop in windowed mode.

We'll see how I feel in 29 days when my free month is up. I think if I continue to play casually, this game offers a wealth of content that should scratch my MMO itch for some time.

• Dominicano_LocoDominicano_Loco Member CommonPosts: 2

I feel the same as you!  I cannot believe  I overlooked this game when it released.  I am nearing 2 weeks since I began and OMG  I AM HOOKED!!!  Everything I ever wanted out of a game is here and the fact that I can play Cards when i just want to chill is a major plus for me.  Although I wish we were allowed to play cards in the housing area to make parties up at the housing zones.  I love how this game delivers the experience I in no time playing have felt bored and it has been fun fun fun all the way through and at no point have i felt tired or mentally exhausted while playing and the fact I can use a ps3 controller on the computer when I want to simply lay in bed and do some light things I CAN.   I just cannot get enough of this game and it has made me want to play mmorpg at a time when I was simply going to quit gaming all together.

I do hope to see more additions to mini games maybe FF X Blitz Ball  --- maybe some FF XIV own exclusives as adding pool tables.  some sort of mini games that can be done from the housing areas to attract people to the housing sections.  

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by danwest58
    How can you guys like the combat? I mean the GCD is a full second? Try playing a game like Tera or ESO then switch to FFIVX....Its brutal. 

Did you get to 50 because the higher you get the faster combat gets.  I have come across too many people that bitch about combat at level 13 and soloing.  Combat is very different at 50 with a group.  

You have to get to the end of the game and then fight in a group before combat gets much different. Sounds good ;)

Now is the time to act like this isn't true for any MMO ever and only somehow applies to FFXIV? Thanks for letting us know bud.

First the combat teaches you how to play, then it starts to gradually push your limits more and more culminating in endgame. Such a weird concept for sure, and a deeply flawed one at that.

No mmo I like has me waiting until the game is finished before I can enjoy the combat, and then only in a group- bud.

Just understand that it is not based on any significant difference between that game and FFXIV but is something completely in your head. In any MMO the encounters are simple and easy and no matter how the game goes about its combat does not change the fact. Basically you and many others like you simply have an attitude issue which makes you unable to enjoy the FFXIV combat. Too bad.

It looks more like you are overly sensitive to any slight criticism of your new home. I am not the person who said "combat is different at 50 with a group" - those were your words. All of the mmos I like have pretty enjoyable combat even at lower levels. I don't know why you have to get in a huff about it and start deriding people that like games with good combat, or arrogantly claiming that the difference between other games and FFXIV is "all in my head", lol.

Uh...of course it's all in your head.  You don't like the combat in ARR, good for you.  I bet you can name the games you like the combat in and there will be people that enjoy ARR's combat more than those games.  So what's good combat to you IS all in your head.  Don't confuse what YOU think is good combat is actually GOOD for everyone else.

The point is not whether I like the combat in FFXIV; the point is that in the mmos I like no fanboi has to defend the combat by saying it is good when you get to the end of the game and play in a group. In fact in this thread I have not given any opinion on the combat in FFXIV. You are just another hypersensitive person lashing out at anyone who even gives the hint of criticism.

This already implicitly says what you think.  My point is to not confuse what constitutes good combat to you is good combat to everyone else.

I was merely making a point, I'm sure i'm not the one being hypersensitive here.  Also, you, I and alot of people have already toxicated OPs happy thread enough.  I'd like to apologize to OP and will not toxicate it any longer.

The OP called me out and tried to ridicule me for replying that his account that combat was good at level 50 in a group did not sound very attractive to me. You didn't even read, or you read but didn't understand, my post and then decided to lecture me about something I didn't even say. Then you take one phrase out of my posts to try and establish some weak link to justify your rant at me, and then have the gall to claim -implicitly- that I am toxicating the thread. No. I am just responding to being insulted for absolutely nothing.

Here is all I wanted to say: If the combat only gets good at end game and in a group as the OP suggests, then that doesn't sound very good to me.

Note that is basically exactly what I originally said, and I am disgusted that you and the OP continue to insult me about it. 

YashaX,

I think you are getting confused who the OP is. I am the OP and I have never replied to you in this thread yet. Please get your authors straight before you start "getting disgusted at people" and tarnishing my name. If you personally think FFXIV does not have good combat based on your experiences, that's great and you are entitled to your own opinion. I personally think combat is great for some classes from straight to finish but unfortunately for other classes I think they are boring until end game when complicated end game mechanics allows for relatively simple combat patterns to shine. It depends on the person and it sucks that is has to be that way. However, if you think that tab targeting is too old fashioned and cannot get over it, then that's the end of the story. I have played lots of hitbox games like Tera and age of conan and while I have enjoyed those games immensely, I understand comparing their style of combat to FFXIV is like comparing apples and oranges.

I also happen to think that FFXIV Is the kind of game whose appeal is more understandable if taken as a "whole" as opposed to scrutinizing one aspect of it.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

Have you played any old school turn-based rpg game? This combat in this game is light speed compared to that  image. Final Fantasy games usually cater more to the slower paced old fashioned gamestyles. So FFXIV is definitely a compromise. 

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Everyone seems to forget there's a ton of OFF gcd abilities that you use between GCD's for maximum dps. I'm convinced most of those who complain about the length of the GCD's haven't hit the max level.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Chrisbox
    Everyone seems to forget there's a ton of OFF gcd abilities that you use between GCD's for maximum dps. I'm convinced most of those who complain about the length of the GCD's haven't hit the max level.  
    I have, I just have a different experience. My combat training wheels were street fighter 2 hyper fighting and only ranked up from there. Fwiw, even 1 second gcd felt like an eternity when I first started playing mmos
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by Chrisbox

I have, I just have a different experience. My combat training wheels were street fighter 2 hyper fighting and only ranked up from there. Fwiw, even 1 second gcd felt like an eternity when I first started playing mmos

I can understand this.  I never bring any other genre into my mmo based discussions though, I don't see much value in comparing soul calibur to a primarily tab target based genre.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL