Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game looks very dated now

shenfreyshenfrey Member UncommonPosts: 114

Struggling to play, I know that graphics are not everything but the reason I can always come back to WoW is because of the art style and how pretty the game can look. With Rift, because they have chosen to go for a realistic art style many years ago, the game now looks incredibly dated.

Again, I know that graphics are not everything but if I am gonna be playing an MMO for many months/years, it needs to be pleasing on the eyes, at least my eyes.

Do you think they will ever update the graphics?

Comments

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

Updating graphics game-wide would be incredibly expensive.

New graphics are very unlikely.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Your post is asking for something made to look like armors from a thousand years ago to be polished so it looks new every two years.  How does that make sense?
  • shenfreyshenfrey Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by syntax42
    Your post is asking for something made to look like armors from a thousand years ago to be polished so it looks new every two years.  How does that make sense?

What about the dragons, mountain giants and oh yeah, those giant rifts with tentacles coming out of the sky? am sorry, but your post doesn't make any sense.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

WoW looks awefull if i look at some video's can't believe anybody playing game like WoW it's far worse then RIFT which i also don't play.

But if graphics are so importend why do millions play so many games with graphics like WoW or even worse?

Because it's a bout having fun(can't immagine fun in WoW but im hater:P) graphics overall comes for most games in second place or even third fourth.

Gameplay-Story is what people interest and playing with friends(WoW again).

I'll bet many who play RIFT because they like gameplay not because of graphics.

You accuse other of making no sense but your topic make no sense at all your just here to promote your beloved WoW and that make no sense to me.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• shenfreyshenfrey Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by Classicstar

WoW looks awefull if i look at some video's can't believe anybody playing game like WoW it's far worse then RIFT which i also don't play.

But if graphics are so importend why do millions play so many games with graphics like WoW or even worse?

Because it's a bout having fun(can't immagine fun in WoW but im hater:P) graphics overall comes for most games in second place or even third fourth.

You accuse other of making no sense but your topic make no sense at all your just here to promote your beloved WoW and that make no sense to me.

Explain why me asking "Will the games graphics ever be updated?" makes no sense at all?

I am sorry but it appears this forum is filled with haters and low lifes who just want to cause aggro. I asked a simple question, I am not here to flame or insult others. I am sorry if this disappoints you.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Kid´s these days... placing graphics before gameplay.
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425

Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

HOLY CRAP, PEOPLE!! He asked a simple question. Why do you people have to be such pukes about it.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by shenfrey

Explain why me asking "Will the games graphics ever be updated?" makes no sense at all?

I am sorry but it appears this forum is filled with haters and low lifes who just want to cause aggro. I asked a simple question, I am not here to flame or insult others. I am sorry if this disappoints you.

Visuals and animations to go with them are one of the biggest costs to a video game. It takes a ton of time and money to create. To revamp the whole game is just about as much work as creating a new game from scratch. Now, they could go WoW's route in which they iterate on the existing game during each expansion, but WoW makes a ton of money to allow for that and it took 10 years before new models were made. So while it's not "impossible" it is unlikely to the point where it makes more sense for Trion to move on and do something new than devote such resources to an old project.

I agree that WoW holds up really well, even ESO just a year out already is beginning to show it's age. I tried NWO again this weekend, it has aged horribly. GW2 still looks pretty decent, but their visuals despite having some "realism" are very stylized and the art direction was also excellent.

• MadatanMadatan Member UncommonPosts: 182
    Originally posted by shenfrey

Struggling to play, I know that graphics are not everything but the reason I can always come back to WoW is because of the art style and how pretty the game can look. With Rift, because they have chosen to go for a realistic art style many years ago, the game now looks incredibly dated.

Again, I know that graphics are not everything but if I am gonna be playing an MMO for many months/years, it needs to be pleasing on the eyes, at least my eyes.

Do you think they will ever update the graphics?

Seriously doubt it which is a shame because I do like Rift but I just can't get over their graphics. It's not just that it's dated, but it's dated in a way which makes me feel like I'm playing a browser game.

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    I could never stick with it for long because of the graphics also.
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I play Rift. Have no problem with the graphics at all. Not sure what you are referring to, OP. Care to expand?

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    "I agree that WoW holds up really well, even ESO just a year out already is beginning to show it's age."

Perhaps you should compare again lol

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=eso+sweet+fx&client=safari&hl=en-gb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=zxsTVY7iCYqj7AbA-ICgCA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAw&biw=320&bih=416&dpr=2

Never heard of sweetfx?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    You would have really hated the MUD's us old timers grew up with if graphics are your big concern.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    Originally posted by carotid
    HOLY CRAP, PEOPLE!! He asked a simple question. Why do you people have to be such pukes about it.

The first response was simple, to the point and offered an explanation of why the answer would likely remain no. Not much else to be said on the subject.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i dont find Rift graphically dated at all, BUT what is not pleasing on my eyes is the ugly architecture found on their buildings, the ugly world design, and armor design. Some people might find those things nice looking, but to me personally Rift is the most unpleasant game to look at from a design standpoint.

The world feels uninspired and it is visually unappealing to me. That has a highly negative impact on my interest in the game besides the dull questing. Also as much as i tried to get into the lore, its just not interesting. Some enemy designs are also too ugly and uninspired but some others look pretty good.

Design wise i think they only nailed weapon design (i do like most of their simplistic yet realistic looking weapons) and character models (except for male Dwarf and Bahmi).

My experience with the game.

EDIT: but like any game that tries to be visually realistic, it will suffer from dated graphics syndrome sooner and the rest.

• plyrofmmoplyrofmmo Member UncommonPosts: 25

You are new to MMORPG.com aren't you?

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181
    Can you even run the game at max settings?
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421

HOLY CRAP, PEOPLE!! He asked a simple question. Why do you people have to be such pukes 

Because the OP is right about the people that are on these forums. lol

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid

i dont find Rift graphically dated at all, BUT what is not pleasing on my eyes is the ugly architecture found on their buildings, the ugly world design, and armor design. Some people might find those things nice looking, but to me personally Rift is the most unpleasant game to look at from a design standpoint.

The world feels uninspired and it is visually unappealing to me. That has a highly negative impact on my interest in the game besides the dull questing. Also as much as i tried to get into the lore, its just not interesting. Some enemy designs are also too ugly and uninspired but some others look pretty good.

Design wise i think they only nailed weapon design (i do like most of their simplistic yet realistic looking weapons) and character models (except for male Dwarf and Bahmi).

My experience with the game.

EDIT: but like any game that tries to be visually realistic, it will suffer from dated graphics syndrome sooner and the rest.

THIS THIS THIS

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

When I think of Rift, I think of magentas and purples... yuck! Honestly, I do.

But then I remember my Chloromancer and I think green... I like green :)

PS. I'll take good ole Rift's art style over WOW's, Wildstar's or My Little Pony's any day of the week.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    I think it looks okay. My sticking point has always been the fact that despite looking mediocre, the game is a huge resource hog with a ton of performance issues, at least on every PC I've tried to play it on. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

Yeah they are making me sick. Another reason the communities in mmo's today suck so badly. And why we are getting crappy games that look good. Wish they would go back to their consoles. Oh but wait Western game companies are making the mmo's for the console's first with the pc as an after thought now. This post makes me sad for true gameplay coming first instead of the eye candy for the kiddies.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Still there must be a lot you like about it to care about it so.  There will always be positive and negative sides to every game.  It always depends on what you want to focus on.  Someone said their is no such thing as the perfect game.  The new state of the art games will have a lot of bugs to be worked out and the old games will have most bugs worked out because they are still around.  For what it's worth your happiness isn't decided by the game, it's decided on how you choose to view the game.  Your focus determines your reality...

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• rudolfrealrudolfreal Member UncommonPosts: 26

WOW is more like comic and you can read comic books with almost same style for years and still like it.

Rift is realistic which some people cannot hold for long just like yourself, compare the photos you took 5 years ago and now. Huge difference. :D