Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Console vs pc and RP

BluelinerBlueliner Member UncommonPosts: 158

So after fighting through the nightmare that was customer support at square enix I now have an active account. That being said I would like to play on a role play server and role play occasionally. However I have a couple quick questions for you more experienced players.

1. I understand that the ps4 and pc people share the same world? if that's true can I switch back and forth, for example, if I feel like rp I log on the pc since its easier to type, when I want to just go kill stuff I could log onto my ps4 for easier combat?

2. is there a heavy rp community? if so what server?

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

You need to buy the software for both platforms but you can have only one account and one subscription to switch between the two platforms.

Bear in mind that some servers have locked character creation so you may not be able to join that server until they allow new characters to be made.

Chamber of Chains
  • BluelinerBlueliner Member UncommonPosts: 158

That is good news, I am glad I can switch to the ps4 for my grind time and then PC it up with I want to chat/RP

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Br3akingDawn
    Originally posted by Blueliner

1. I understand that the ps4 and pc people share the same world? if that's true can I switch back and forth, for example, if I feel like rp I log on the pc since its easier to type, when I want to just go kill stuff I could log onto my ps4 for easier combat?

1. PC = easier combat....

In a dungeon you can almost always tell who uses a console to play.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• bambarylkabambarylka Member Posts: 6
    I just do not like to not be able to choose between my mouse and keyboard vs pad - which only PC gives me.
  • BluelinerBlueliner Member UncommonPosts: 158
    That is even better news then, I'll just play PC, saves me money. I just assumed they designed combat for the console.
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by Br3akingDawn

1. PC = easier combat....

In a dungeon you can almost always tell who uses a console to play.

how i used a ps4 controller on my pc when i played cause it was easyer for me

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    That is even better news then, I'll just play PC, saves me money. I just assumed they designed combat for the console.

Nope, It's a pc game through and through. They just have a really well thought out way of playing with a controller. That being said though, even if it played best on console pad, why wouldn't you just use a controller on pc if you have a pc that will run it.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Originally posted by bambarylka
    I just do not like to not be able to choose between my mouse and keyboard vs pad - which only PC gives me.

Weird, I play with Mouse and KB on my PS4 and my PC...

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Balmung is the main RP server if you're looking for that.  There are also Free Companies on various other servers, as Balmung's character creation is only open during weekdays and in the early AM (Pacific Time).

If you can manage to get in, there is a massive amount of random RP and emotes going around in every city and in the world.  Even late at night; the Rpers have taken over all of the Inns and such.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482

The PS4 version does allow you to use a USB keyboard and mouse.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by psychobgr

I think its a popular misconception that PS4 users mostly use the gamepad option, when most i've spoken to in game actually use a keyboard, having said that, as a PC user i tend to switch between gamepad and mouse/keyboard options, depending on which class i am playing, for straight dps, it can be more fun to play using a gamepad, but for tanking and healing i've found that i need the mouse/keyboard option for more control, tab targeting isn't fast enough and when healing you need to be able to switch targets sometimes fairly quickly and very accurately, so using mouse/keyboard is the best option, for me at least.

I think the only real difference, is between the PS3 version of the game and the PS4/PC version, where the PS4/PC version is visibly superior, and if there is one thing that FFXIV;ARR is, is that its a beautiful game, when you add in the fluidity of the combat, and the responsiveness of the game, its easy to see why the game is so popular, and why in the evenings there are often login queues.

For RP'ing i don't know that any particular server is best, i think for the most part you just have to go with whichever server you can get into, finding the right FC will be your best bet, as i am fairly positive that there are more than a few of them that do engage in RP'ing. image

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by psychobgr

I think its a popular misconception that PS4 users mostly use the gamepad option, when most i've spoken to in game actually use a keyboard, having said that, as a PC user i tend to switch between gamepad and mouse/keyboard options, depending on which class i am playing, for straight dps, it can be more fun to play using a gamepad, but for tanking and healing i've found that i need the mouse/keyboard option for more control, tab targeting isn't fast enough and when healing you need to be able to switch targets sometimes fairly quickly and very accurately, so using mouse/keyboard is the best option, for me at least.

I think the only real difference, is between the PS3 version of the game and the PS4/PC version, where the PS4/PC version is visibly superior, and if there is one thing that FFXIV;ARR is, is that its a beautiful game, when you add in the fluidity of the combat, and the responsiveness of the game, its easy to see why the game is so popular, and why in the evenings there are often login queues.

For RP'ing i don't know that any particular server is best, i think for the most part you just have to go with whichever server you can get into, finding the right FC will be your best bet, as i am fairly positive that there are more than a few of them that do engage in RP'ing. image

Perhaps, but I don't think its misconception or misperception. I think people have their living room set up one way for a specific purpose of laying down in front of a big screen TV on a couch with their feet up on an Ottoman or something similar. On a PC, you are seated at a chair normally with a computer desk sitting more upright. How does one on a Console while laying on their couch manage to chat with other folks? Where do you put your keyboard to chat while holding the controller with two hands? If you are in a dungeon and you need to type fast, how does one not let go of their controller during action to communicate? Where do you rest the keyboard so you can even type? Completely letting go of something for every line you need to type seems annoying. With my PC keyboard and mouse at a desk,  I can even run and type at the same time lol. You never let go of the keyboard because you aren't holding it to begin with.

There Is Always Hope!

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    Originally posted by Torcip

Nope, It's a pc game through and through. They just have a really well thought out way of playing with a controller. That being said though, even if it played best on console pad, why wouldn't you just use a controller on pc if you have a pc that will run it.

If it played best on a controller, I would use the one I have plugged into my PC.

Keyboard and mouse is not always a superior input, though in this game it is, a LOT of games simply play better on a pad (Darksiders, Arkham, Skyrim, AC, basically most multiplatform games) not using one when its the superior input is rather silly.   I only play games on my PC, but I am not so stuck up I wont use a pad when its the superior input, same as I use a stick to play Elite.

For FFXIV, kb and mouse is better, but its often not.

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    I have it for the ps4 and just bought it for 10 euro on steam for the pc.

I like the controller more. I just put the ds4 in the pc.

But for graphics I would say dont play it kn the ps4 it cant handle It. For example when I watched some high ranked ppl fight a world boss it stuttered soo bad. That why I bought it for the pc. My pc is in the livingroom next to the tv soo I can watch on a big screen on the couch or on the desk.

When in the park I play it on my mobile with the controller or in bed with the laptop (streaming)

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Both PS3 and PS4 support USB keyboard and mouse.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Also the unoffical RP servers are Gilgamesh (newer post-ARR server) and Balmung (from 1.0 original).

Gilgamesh is also the unofficial Reddit server and has a large raiding population. Leviathan also has a very active and large raid population.

Servers have rotating periods of availability for new character creation (S/E's method of trying to spread the population around, without outright completely preventing people who really want to be on a specific server), ~usually~ they will be open in the early AM.