Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do MMORPGs go defunct?

I'm somewhat relatively new to the MMO world and was wondering specifically - what happens to MMOs when they die? Does anyone have a list of "failed" MMOs? (And by "failed" I mean "officially launched and then went kaput" not "promised but never released/launched")

Thanks1

Comments

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

If your character dies in a MMORPG you get penilized and start back at town...  and for the list,  I think the list would be huge!  There's tons that came out and flopped...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
  • neeelaneeela Member Posts: 12

Well, thanks! I didn't mean what happens when you die....

but I'd love to see a list of failed MMORPGs.

• squeeesqueee Member Posts: 722
    The only one I know of that has failed is Motor City Online.  The next two to fail will probably be Asheron's Call 2 and PlanetSide(damn that game had potential).  And there is probably an endless list of no name MMOG that have failed.  Other that that, I am stumped.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
    Why doesn't DOS ever say "EXCELLENT command or filename!"

Customer: "How fast will my COM ports go?"
    Tech Support: "How hard can you throw your computer?"

Oh and to answer your when they die question.  When they die, they die.  All your characters and items and time disapear into the vastness of space.  Unless of course they release the server code.  Wich also I have never seen hapen.  They just die and are not spoken of again for 32 and a half years.image

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gotcha. Thanks!

It would seem, with the flood to market in the last few years, that there'd be more of them.

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460
    if there is a list...i add shadowbaneimage

You and ShadowBane Murt, whats with that, did the wrong you?

• Odin1985Odin1985 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 342
    well i don´t know but a lot of games never come thru, some just die with time, unispired ppl just don´t want to work on them anymore.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man´s character give him power"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Coder, Webmaster and Modeler

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man?s character give him power"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Coder, Webmaster and Modeler

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

Originally posted by squeee
    You and ShadowBane Murt, whats with that, did the wrong you?

it did do wrong to me...it robbed me of fourty bucks

Hah! I didn't mean ones that did you wrong, or you think will go down, but ones that actually have. I geuss though, since EQ hit, we really haven't lived through a life cycle of an MMO....or have we?
  • convergeconverge Member Posts: 76
    i wouldnt say the shadowbane failed people still play it.

• FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106

SWG will fail. Too nasty of a game, it sucks.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Well there have been a lot of very small (mainly few individuals running server from home) so called MMRPG that have flopped.

The big names still seems to have survived even earth and beyond.

However one of the first commerical MMRPG- meridan 59 did close shop and the character simply stopped to exist period.

It started up again recently after the rights was bought by some company but i think it was a fresh start.

SWG sucks but still it will not fail quite simply because it has the SWG logo and still commands a few hundred thousands subscribers(more then any other mmrpg apart from EQ) and this is even a north american release wait till it hits asia and europe.

Never underestimate a brand name and the game has it .

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996

It's interesting that no major MMRPG has failed yet.  At some point the market should become saturated and the only to yours alive is to steal players from another... that's when things will get interesting.

How many users does it take to keep a MMRPG afloat?

If you charge 12 bucks a month, and have 5000 users you make

12 * 5000 * 12 = 720,000 a year in revenue.

Or course you have bills and people to pay. So they don't this much in profit, but it doesn't take many users to cover your costs. As a added bonus selling the box for 30 bucks generally covers your dev expensives.

It seems even the lamest MMRPG's can keep 5K people paying... and you could probably go lower than that and still keep the servers turned on. I would supect a dying MMRPG would just not add new content, until it fell under 1K users.

It's surprised to me how much each MMRPG is able to find it's own user base, without stealing from another game.

In general MMRPG's are cash cows, and hard to fail at. Even the most horrid, bug ridden betaware releases has proven to be profitable. People seems to tolerate the bugs and poor quality for a long period of time, while it's made better.

I hope this changes, but for now expect many sub-par MMRPG's to come along until market saturation.

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Agreed clever.

Already many games are feeling  the fact that the number of subscribers are limited and the games are pumping out much faster then people converting to the MMO genre.

Only game that seems to have brought a sizeable new converts recently was SWG because of the star wars name,most others are just trying to steal from each other.

WoW would probabaly provide the next large group of new converts to MMO again based on its name.

I read somewhere that a MMO needs about 5-7k subscribers to remain viable so your estimate of 5000 seems dead on target.

Even when games are doing horribly like AC2 is now for instance they still go on .All the do is merge servers and that not only cuts cost it still leaves the world in a MMO state.

Only reason any major MMRPG will shutdown is because the owners feel it is getting too old and might be trying to push a newer title forward.

Although i hate shadowbane personally i think it will still have enough people  to keep going  for a looong time.