Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I've heard the bad, gimme the good

KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

Title pretty much says it all.  I was mildly interested in the game before release, but there was no "wow" factor I could find to push me over the edge.

Unfortunately ever since then all I've read is about how terrible it turned out.  How the class system doesn't work anything like it's supposed to (in terms of viability, much like ESO), p2w cash shop, etc etc etc. 

What redeeming qualities did you find in it though, as I have not seen any positive info come out of this title and I'm sure there are fans who are objective enough to distinguish the good from the bad.

Comments

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Sailing is really cool. Trade runs in the opposing faction's territories can be exciting. Skill system is neat. I made a very effective mage tank. Ummm.....

If this were a sub only game, I would probably still be playing it hard. But, it's not. The pay model is just so piss poor it's insulting. Trion/XL are some seriously greedy money-grabbing, short-sighted fools. 

How to Fix ArcheAge in 2 easy steps:

1. Make it subscription only

2. Limit property ownership to 1 type per account, per server. 

Joined - July 2004

• PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623

the sailing and trade runs through hostile areas was fun.

housing and farming was also pretty interesting.

killing the kraken via ship combat was pretty interesting

as others have said...if trion and XL hadn't drove it into the ground via p2w cash shop,  breaking the economy with stupid item additions, and poor implementation of the northern continent areas......id probably still be playing.

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

I actually found a LOT of really positive things about AA.

I truly enjoyed the danger of the world once you got out of the "safe" areas.  Anyone on your screen is a potential enemy.  Once that green name goes purple, someone's blood is going to end up feeding the grass.  

I really enjoyed the concept of resource production, trade packs and the general economy of the game.  The execution managed to leave a bitter coating on my tongue (and maybe on occasion a hurt butt).  But conceptually speaking, I think the player-driven economy was awesome.  Being able to get a farm house (again, conceptually, not getting into how ridiculous this is in practice), produce your own shit and turn it into what you need is great.  I really enjoyed running trade packs both "safely" and "dangerously."

I had more fun on the open seas with my guild than I've had in a game since pre-NGE SWG.  A galleon full of assholes willing to kill anyone with enough trade packs or fish to make it worth our while?  That was amazing.

Trial chat is usually good for a laugh or two every hour.

I actually enjoyed the free-based skill system.  It did tend to let you build characters that fit my play style in a variety of situations.  Being able to switch back and forth between them once you got them leveled up is a feature that most games will leave me missing in the future.

I think another strong positive is how strongly the game rewards highly organized groups playing towards a specific goal, giving them an edge over groups that more meander through the game just having fun.  While I tend to enjoy myself more while just playing a game and not getting balls deep in spreadsheets and planning, I do think those that go that extra mile should see some benefit for it.

As I touched on above, I am a huge proponent for open world pvp and this game has it in spades.

I found the community, for a time, to be a really strong one.  I saw something at launch I'd never seen in a MMO before.  There was a chest you needed to open for a quest probably around level 10 or so.  The spawn rate was clearly designed to slow down the leveling curve of the server.  When I got to it, there were about 75 people waiting in a single file line, and with he exception of a few asshats, EVERYONE WAITED THEIR TURN.  I was absolutely amazed by this.  I took a million screenshots.  I've played MMOs since around 2000.  Nothing is new to me.  That was.  Unfortunately as the negatives of the game started to become apparent, the community became a bit toxic as cheaters, exploiters and script kiddies had their run of things.

Unfortunately for me, like many others, the terrible payment model (this game is P2W in the purest sense, anyone saying different is either lying or deluding themselves), horrific mismanagement and the developers inability/unwillingness to properly  deal with exploits and cheats and scripts and bots really began to outweigh these positives.

I do believe that despite a lot of the negatives, if this game were re-launched as a P2P game without a cash shop, I would seriously consider starting it again.  There is enough good in the core game that there is a potential for greatness.  Sadly, it doesn't seem like it'll ever be more than what it is.

A game for masochists.

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

I will give my opinion about the "good" like op ask and leave the "bad" out.

- The world: Its open and i like that feeling of walking around in a open world. Diferent rulesets on the same map, pve only, contested and pvp only, players chose where they want to be or go, its free of choice. 3 continents conected by a amazing sea, really love the ocean on AA. Its not to big neither to small imo, its well done.

- Land owner: we actually own a piece of land, not instance, its really our place on a unique world, there is land trade, bussiness around, sell here, buy there, change place, try to increase space talking with neighbor, place land in some strategic places for trade runs or only for a quick guild teleport, small or big farms, little private craft tables, small or big houses, mansions, plazas, the player chose what to build.

- Naval warfare: simply amazing to me, love it. War between galeons where movement matters, strategics to abord enemys or not, a good captain (and i have lucky to have some) make things really fun.

- Glliders: yes, its not flying, its gliding and thats why i like it. usually i dont like much flying on mmorpgs but gliding its fun.

- Collisions: I like it, it gives immersion, the other player, mount, wagon, boat is actually there, and its part of some combat strategics.

- Economy: average, could be better for some reasons to many times claim around these foruns, but still possible to have fun with it, be patience, cheching AH every day, use spreadsheets, notes, whatever, allways around some good bussiness. Almost everthing is tradable, if i dont farm gilda stars theres allways someone that do ti and sell the recipes i need, theres plenty of ways to make gold, not everyone need to follow the same route.

- Fishing: the best i have played in a mmorpg (i didnt played all ofc). With a party of fishing boats even better.

- Craft: i like it connected with farming and gathering, at least 1h each day is to do my stuff and keep things going. There is RNG yes, and can be very evil, but when the craft procs what we want its a good feeling. I just like to have more archeum in-game, thats all.

- Politics: yes, there are reds but theres greens to that should be killed, wars between guilds (our guild have a nice list of kos, donotkill and allys). Some were enemys 2 months ago and now we are allys, some friends become enemys. Its realy cool this interaction.

- Labor: the crafter evil one, yes the implementation could be much better but i still like the inicial idea (pre 1.0), its there and we have to deal with it, been in a organized guild helps alot. 

- 1 char can be everthing, i like to have this on games and AA have it.

- Details: Its a game full of small details and i like it, make me stay or leave? no, but its there and its a good thing.

All my experience is based in Patron status since launch day, play 3 - 4h a day, im in a amazing guild with constant pvp raid events, usually on sea, crafting family where we all work to everyone, common objectives, etc.

For me AA is still the best mmorpg current released, even with some "bad" side, i focus on the good one and still have a blast. IMO things get better and better with every patch since the launch nighmare.

• jdizzle2k13jdizzle2k13 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    Originally posted by nolf

I actually found a LOT of really positive things about AA.

I truly enjoyed the danger of the world once you got out of the "safe" areas.  Anyone on your screen is a potential enemy.  Once that green name goes purple, someone's blood is going to end up feeding the grass.  

I really enjoyed the concept of resource production, trade packs and the general economy of the game.  The execution managed to leave a bitter coating on my tongue (and maybe on occasion a hurt butt).  But conceptually speaking, I think the player-driven economy was awesome.  Being able to get a farm house (again, conceptually, not getting into how ridiculous this is in practice), produce your own shit and turn it into what you need is great.  I really enjoyed running trade packs both "safely" and "dangerously."

I had more fun on the open seas with my guild than I've had in a game since pre-NGE SWG.  A galleon full of assholes willing to kill anyone with enough trade packs or fish to make it worth our while?  That was amazing.

Trial chat is usually good for a laugh or two every hour.

I actually enjoyed the free-based skill system.  It did tend to let you build characters that fit my play style in a variety of situations.  Being able to switch back and forth between them once you got them leveled up is a feature that most games will leave me missing in the future.

I think another strong positive is how strongly the game rewards highly organized groups playing towards a specific goal, giving them an edge over groups that more meander through the game just having fun.  While I tend to enjoy myself more while just playing a game and not getting balls deep in spreadsheets and planning, I do think those that go that extra mile should see some benefit for it.

As I touched on above, I am a huge proponent for open world pvp and this game has it in spades.

I found the community, for a time, to be a really strong one.  I saw something at launch I'd never seen in a MMO before.  There was a chest you needed to open for a quest probably around level 10 or so.  The spawn rate was clearly designed to slow down the leveling curve of the server.  When I got to it, there were about 75 people waiting in a single file line, and with he exception of a few asshats, EVERYONE WAITED THEIR TURN.  I was absolutely amazed by this.  I took a million screenshots.  I've played MMOs since around 2000.  Nothing is new to me.  That was.  Unfortunately as the negatives of the game started to become apparent, the community became a bit toxic as cheaters, exploiters and script kiddies had their run of things.

Unfortunately for me, like many others, the terrible payment model (this game is P2W in the purest sense, anyone saying different is either lying or deluding themselves), horrific mismanagement and the developers inability/unwillingness to properly  deal with exploits and cheats and scripts and bots really began to outweigh these positives.

I do believe that despite a lot of the negatives, if this game were re-launched as a P2P game without a cash shop, I would seriously consider starting it again.  There is enough good in the core game that there is a potential for greatness.  Sadly, it doesn't seem like it'll ever be more than what it is.

A game for masochists.

I agree with this entire post.  It pretty much summed up everything I loved about Archeage (open world pvp combat, skill system, resource management).

I think as a sub game, or B2P game with minimal cash shop intrusion, this game probably could have replaced Guild Wars 2 for me.  Unfortunately, once I got into crafting and regarding, it pretty much started to ruin my enjoyment of the game because I was having to get cash shop items in order to have a better chance at getting heroic gear.

I don't have a big problem with RNG, I just wish it wasn't so extreme lol.

• shassshass Member UncommonPosts: 107
    As a noob to AA and having only got to level 26 both wifey and myself are enjoying it. I don't think it will be a stayer for us... the game is good but the payment is just out and out greedy. We both signed up for the patron subscription and then found it was a con as it does not get you much at all. Bag expansion, bank expansion all have to be purchased through the cash shop. although it can be done in game, it is expensive. We also find we constantly run out of labour points, and there is little you can do without them. So where can we get more.... the cash shop. Essentially you need to pay a subscription and pay through the nose at the cash shop to get anywhere.
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Why not just download it and see for yourself?  If you can't be bothered to do that... it's definitely not worth your time.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Originally posted by Pepeq
    Why not just download it and see for yourself?  If you can't be bothered to do that... it's definitely not worth your time.

Because reading everyone's replies (ty btw) just solidifies the fact that I won't be playing it.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Kajidourden

Title pretty much says it all.  I was mildly interested in the game before release, but there was no "wow" factor I could find to push me over the edge.

Unfortunately ever since then all I've read is about how terrible it turned out.  How the class system doesn't work anything like it's supposed to (in terms of viability, much like ESO), p2w cash shop, etc etc etc. 

What redeeming qualities did you find in it though, as I have not seen any positive info come out of this title and I'm sure there are fans who are objective enough to distinguish the good from the bad.

Servers aren't overcrowded.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352

Honestly, you picked BY FAR the worse forum/site to ask this question to. When it comes to AA, there is an overwhelming bias/vendetta against this game here. Bashing on AA is very much the hip thing to do here and some have made it an absolute obsession. In addition, many here whom are sharing their opinion's have long since quit and are stating opinions from the first month or two of release and are simply spewing outdated information.

There is also a simple solution to the cash shop issue as well, SELF CONTROL AND don't spend all your time worrying about your neighbor's gear and how they got it. Just play the game at your own pace and if you can't afford to blow a ton of money on the cash shop, THEN DON'T and simply EARN it over time which is something the "gimmie now" generation seems to forget.

Before condemning the game completely, you might want to pose this question elsewhere like Archeage Reddit.

• Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Member UncommonPosts: 233
    AA was good, even with PVP. It was that good to keep me plugging away in a PVP game. As others have stated though, the cash shop as in most games over reaches. We are paying a sub and yet can't craft as much as we want. No one denies content to a subber and lives very long in this business. 

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999

Originally posted by steelwind

Honestly, you picked BY FAR the worse forum/site to ask this question to. When it comes to AA, there is an overwhelming bias/vendetta against this game here. Bashing on AA is very much the hip thing to do here and some have made it an absolute obsession. In addition, many here whom are sharing their opinion's have long since quit and are stating opinions from the first month or two of release and are simply spewing outdated information.

There is also a simple solution to the cash shop issue as well, SELF CONTROL AND don't spend all your time worrying about your neighbor's gear and how they got it. Just play the game at your own pace and if you can't afford to blow a ton of money on the cash shop, THE DON'T and simply EARN it over time.

Before condemning the game completely, you might want to pose this question elsewhere like Archeage Reddit.

Aaaaand your post was pointless, because it doesn't address my question at all.  GG

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

I will say the same thing as I say to anyone who aske me about, if you still don't tried to even try now, during alpha(what was supose to be the P2P) was pretty good nice game combat ok, craft was needed for the best gear, crafting mats and drops was ok and we could do dungeon run for mats by breaking the droped gear from then, with would make a good crafting and combat game, after they patch to 1.2 with is the F2P version you have lack of crafting mats, since monsters don't drop things anymore save for coin purses with ahve a even lower chance to drop and cost labor, also on F2P even combat will require the use of labor since the coinpurse is the only drop you can get, dungeon runs become the requirement for gear, not crafting anymore also they made having a good lvl on crafting useless save for the minimum for crafting a certain lvl gear, you can't break gear droped in dungeon anymore for mats, also there is trion not willing to do a good job and even are letting duppers and hackers stay in the game since they spend alot of money.

serious the bad don't cover the good and sicne trion is not even trying to hide the money grab tehy are doing better wait for a better game around

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.

There is also a simple solution to the cash shop issue as well, SELF CONTROL AND don't spend all your time worrying about your neighbor's gear and how they got it. Just play the game at your own pace and if you can't afford to blow a ton of money on the cash shop, THE DON'T and simply EARN it over time.

Aaaaand your post was pointless, because it doesn't address my question at all.  GG

Like I said, you won't get any sort of balanced opinions here. I find it suspicious that I didn't include any negative in my response, yet you called me out. Could this simply be another troll attempt thread to extract more AA bashing? If so, damn it I took the bait!

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Ok...i give you the good part.....

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

Like I said, you won't get any sort of balanced opinions here. I find it suspicious that I didn't include any negative in my response, yet you called me out. Could this simply be another troll attempt thread to extract more AA bashing? If so, damn it I took the bait!

Because you included nothing of any substance in your response.  Negative or positive, nothing.  Still haven't, btw.  Put your tin foil hat back on and keep thinking everything is an anti-AA conspiracy...k?

Originally posted by Pepeq

Because reading everyone's replies (ty btw) just solidifies the fact that I won't be playing it.

Why would I spend my time writing you an essay when you already seem to have made up your mind? I also suspect you posed this question with an agenda anyway. There doesn't seem to be any positives you feel worthy to respond to but will respond to the negative. So yeah would rather not waste my time responding to a likely disingenuous request.

Plus this isn't a new game, there is an overwhelming amount of information out there that if you took any time at all, you'd be able to answer your own question. It seems you'd rather take the easy route of "sell me on this game", while at the same time, you are asking a group of haters to "sell you on it".