Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: Play to Play for Free

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Big news today for World of Warcraft players. Blizzard has announced plans to allow players to purchase game time with gold! Similar to the PLEX system in EVE or C.R.E.D.D. in Wildstar, you’ll soon be able to purchase a WoW Token from the auction house using gold that can be consumed for 30 days of game time. This is huge.

Read more of Reza Lackey's All Things Warcraft: Play to Play For Free.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    So it Begins!

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Unlike in EVE or Wildstar these bind to the first gold purchaser. Curious to see how that impacts it. I read a few months back that the majority of PLEX aren't used for game time, but are purchased by players as a long term investment. That won't be an option here, so that should keep the gold price lower than it otherwise would be.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I am curious how gold sellers will be affected.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Next they will probably look at increased restricted F2P options.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• JAFAJAFA Member UncommonPosts: 34

"Current Market Value", but you have no real say in how much you charge for your 'Token'?

That's not "Current Market Value" that's "Whatever  Blizzard think you should get for it" which is something else entirely.

"Current Market Value" is the point where what sellers are asking meets what buyers are willing to pay.

I imagine there's going to be an extra "Tax" hidden somewhere in these transactions, at least for the 1st week or two, until people work out how much it is, after which it won't be hidden (but will still be present).

TL;DR: I call SHENANIGANS.

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Originally posted by kitarad
    I am curious how gold sellers will be affected.

If they put a timer on how long they can keep the tokens be for it needed to be used up then will affected them a lot, if not, they'll juat farm the gold and buy the tokens and sell sub time on some web site cheaper then monthly cost, or offer the people selling the token more farmed gold.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

It'll be interesting to see this implemented in a ten year old game. I imagine the initial cost will be astronomical.

• SurrealFieUpSurrealFieUp Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Didn't see mention of when this system may go into effect.  Was there an approximate time frame given?
    Originally posted by JAFA

"Current Market Value", but you have no real say in how much you charge for your 'Token'?

That's not "Current Market Value" that's "Whatever  Blizzard think you should get for it" which is something else entirely.

"Current Market Value" is the point where what sellers are asking meets what buyers are willing to pay.

I imagine there's going to be an extra "Tax" hidden somewhere in these transactions, at least for the 1st week or two, until people work out how much it is, after which it won't be hidden (but will still be present).

TL;DR: I call SHENANIGANS.

You are clueless. 

The seller go to the AH and inputs how much that want for their token and they are told how much they will get based on that price minus the normal gold sink fees. The price is determined by supply and demand, however if Derp wants to place theirs on the AH for 10x that no one will stop them. Their item simply won't sell and they will lose the deposit fee (one on the reasons for the deposit fee in the first place)

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.

Originally posted by SurrealFieUp
    Didn't see mention of when this system may go into effect.  Was there an approximate time frame given?

Some time this year.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Can't buy under priced and sell for higher price later with this system.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

mt

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    This will R.I.P. many mmo's...

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    China's economy is going to take a hit on this one!

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• EnikEnik Member UncommonPosts: 99

I love this idea. If you're a casual player with more money than time it allows you to get gold safely. Hopefully it will stimulate the economy and get more people buying stuff on the AH too.

You certainly can't say that Blizzard aren't thinking and acting strategically regarding their old game in new times.

• vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593

well to blizzard dont make diference at all

but its solid kick in gold seller company

• Daniel696Daniel696 Member Posts: 4
    Finaly. The time of subs is ending, this is just holding the player numbers. Free to play for the win.
    Originally posted by MisterZebub
    Originally posted by VassagoMael
    Unlike in EVE or Wildstar these bind to the first gold purchaser. Curious to see how that impacts it. I read a few months back that the majority of PLEX aren't used for game time, but are purchased by players as a long term investment. That won't be an option here, so that should keep the gold price lower than it otherwise would be.

Big news today for World of Warcraft players. Blizzard has announced plans to allow players to purchase game time with gold! Similar to the PLEX system in EVE or C.R.E.D.D. in Wildstar, you’ll soon be able to purchase a WoW Token from the auction house using gold that can be consumed for 30 days of game time. This is huge.

Players will also be able to purchase a WoW Token from the in-game shop using real money to then sell on the auction house if they would like to make some gold. The gold value of a WoW Token can fluctuate based on its current market value which will be determined by supply and demand. This provides a safe and secure way for players to purchase gold without turning to shady 3rd party farmers who could potentially compromise an account.

I think it the impact will be more players buying them from the cash shop to use to make easy gold rather than players using them to bypass a monthly fee. And now that player fidgets like Heirloom gear are bought directly with gold I see the token system being pretty popular.

Its win win for casual and hardcore players alike. Those that play a bunch will have amassed enough gold to play for free. Those that don't want to grind or play the AH but want tons of gold to buy lots of pointless shiny shit, now have a safe and legal alternative to going to shady back alley gold sellers.

And the gold sellers themselves actually come out of this pretty good as well. All those hacked accounts just became more valuable and they can also now generate gold to sell to customers just by paying a fee rather than spending time grinding it in game.

Its win win. So now everyone's happy. Well except for me. For some reason this news makes me rather depressed.

It is a balance though. If more people are buying them for cash than people who are buying them for gold the price will drop. Then more people will buy them for gold or fewer people will buy them for cash. It's basic economics.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    glad to see blizzard doin this- this isnt revolutionary, many mmos already do this= and still many want them togo f2p.  nice to see the write up give credit to the ones that do it already.
    Originally posted by vadio123

well to blizzard dont make diference at all

but its solid kick in gold seller company

Actually it will be a financial boon for Blizzard. The tokens will sell for more than the price of a subscription. 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    What is the incentive for Blizzard on this?  I assume it's the fact that players that want gold and don't mind spending cash will subsidize the freeloaders?
  • DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    I Think it is a pretty brilliant move for ol WoW.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Foomerang

It'll be interesting to see this implemented in a ten year old game. I imagine the initial cost will be astronomical.

in 2012,

SOE implemented a similar system, Krono,  in a 8 year old mmo - Everquest 2

http://eq2wire.com/2012/10/29/krono-in-game-currency-going-live-today/

but they are different games so who knows?

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

Cash shop coming to diablo 3 and now full blown cash for gold shop in WoW .

Is this jacpot for FF XIV,might be.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Well, someone is still paying the monthly fee so I don't see any larger problems but it ain't gonna stop gold sellers. It might lower the prices though.

GW2s gem system have the same basic principles since you can trade gems for gold but they still have goldsellers there and Wow is larger.

Of course a massive banning people who bought gold from third party together with this might lessen the number of people who buy unoffical gold, and that wouldn't hurt since so much of it are from hacked accounts today but it will still be pretty common no matter what Blizzard do.

On the bad side: this is a pay2win step for the game. No disaster or anything but a step.