Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF MMORPG

codekittencodekitten Member Posts: 59

So I've found myself in a bit of a rut as of late. My husband and I decided we needed to pull back form P2P games for various reasons (mainly because we have two kids and saving x amount a year from no sub sounded like a good idea). This left me with kind of a void or a empty space of free time that I have been trying to fill with various games, granted fail attempts but still I tried none the less. I've been subbed to WoW before and recently if I must admit. It was fun for a short while but it lost that new vibe rather quickly. I also us to enjoy FFXIV: ARR though that as well lost the fun vibe to me after a while. Probably around the time that I got pretty deep into the end game and found out that everything in the game was such a royal pain to grind out. 

This being said I have also enjoyed various other MMO's in the past. One being LOTRO. I have all the content for that game but I can't bring myself to play it.. it runs choppy on my computer fo whatever reason (no idea seeing as other games run at max settings with no issues). I think my issue with LOTRO is that I have been forced to jump servers so many times and reset my character after I got one to 35-40 level range that I just can't stand the starting 20 levels. 

I'll be honest.. I'm not sure what I am looking for. I just feel like I want to play something. I'd rather it be a MMO as I do enjoy the social aspect of them. Even if over the past few years it has felt like most MMO's have lost that social or community feeling. I just .. I dunno maybe I need suggestions. The games I am watching or looking forward to aren't due to be out for another few years so that is kind of a added bummer to things. 

I would rather like to stay away from games that are so called pay to win.. they aren't fun and I'm not looking to drop a load of cash into a game. =/

 

If there is anything else I can add information wise let me know I guess.

«1

Comments

  • ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433

    If you're into the social aspect of MMOs and enjoy roleplaying your character, give Achaea a shot.

    If you just want a F2P mmo thats similar to WoW / Runescape and runs good on budget PCs, try Eldevin

     

  • codekittencodekitten Member Posts: 59

    I have roleplayed in a mmo before in the past. Some games it seems easier then others to fall into that sort of thing (WoW was a royal pain to try and the expansion made everything feel so military based or least on the server I was on).

    I don't have a low end computer so I'm not too concerned about that. just whatever reason LOTRO is a bit clunky to me. It runs fine on my husband's computer and they are more or less the same build. *shrug* who knows.

     

     

  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977

    You can try Guild Wars 2, it was a breath of fresh air when Wow and its clones became just to boring to play. Its not totally different but its different enough. And theres no endgame gear grind (probably what became most and still is most boring part of wow clones)

    Its B2P and you dont ever need to use the cash shop to enjoy entire game, cash shop is just fluff so you can ignore it entirely.

  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 18,576

    Give Rift a shot - great game to be enjoyed by a couple - also supports solo play just fine. All zones, dungeons and raids including all expansions are 100% free, one of the best F2P MMORPGs on the market thset can keep you busy for a long time.

    All gear is usable by free accounts - so you can have raid gear without spending a cent ever.

     

  • codekittencodekitten Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by Malabooga
    You can try Guild Wars 2, it was a breath of fresh air when Wow and its clones became just to boring to play. Its not totally different but its different enough. And theres no endgame gear grind (probably what became most and still is most boring part of wow clones) Its B2P and you dont ever need to use the cash shop to enjoy entire game, cash shop is just fluff so you can ignore it entirely.

    I have guildwars 2 but I haven't touched it from back when it first released. .w. The no healer thing threw me a bit and I couldn't get too into it. Maybe they've had some changes to the classes and stuff.. I'm sure they have so maybe I can find the disk and download it again. (or my account information for that matter).

  • codekittencodekitten Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Give Rift a shot - great game to be enjoyed by a couple - also supports solo play just fine. All zones, dungeons and raids including all expansions are 100% free, one of the best F2P MMORPGs on the market thset can keep you busy for a long time. All gear is usable by free accounts - so you can have raid gear without spending a cent ever.  

    I actually use to play Rift (for about a year or two) before I left the game. Had a nice guild and all and we were all gonna move to Tera. Drama cropped up and destroyed that plan but anyway. I guess I could poke the game again.. last time I tried to log into it (i think they had just gone free to play) the servers were god awful laggy =/ Not to mention the game kept vomiting the cash shop into my face.

  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,384

    You could give Neverwinter a try. If you can ignore the "pay for easy mode" parts of the cash shop, it's not a bad game.

    ESO's B2P in little over two weeks as well, though I don't know how good it is to play with a partner (I never tried, so I have no experience whether phasing's still such a big deal or not).

    My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

    Feel free to send me a message if you want a guest pass to try Black Desert Online as well!

  • codekittencodekitten Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade
    You could give Neverwinter a try. If you can ignore the "pay for easy mode" parts of the cash shop, it's not a bad game. ESO's B2P in little over two weeks as well, though I don't know how good it is to play with a partner (I never tried, so I have no experience whether phasing's still such a big deal or not).

    I tried a beta for Neverwinter.. kinda got ticked at it when they tried to say hey if you want to play as a certain race early dish over 200$ .__.; um no.. whoever thought that was a swell idea..

    I might try it again, I honestly forgot about it haha...

     

    ESO I have a few people trying to talk me into trying when it's free to play. But without a trial somewhere I'm not too keen on dishing out 60$ to try a game I might dislike. The beta's were dreadful :(

  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,384
    Originally posted by codekitten
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade
    You could give Neverwinter a try. If you can ignore the "pay for easy mode" parts of the cash shop, it's not a bad game. ESO's B2P in little over two weeks as well, though I don't know how good it is to play with a partner (I never tried, so I have no experience whether phasing's still such a big deal or not).

    I tried a beta for Neverwinter.. kinda got ticked at it when they tried to say hey if you want to play as a certain race early dish over 200$ .__.; um no.. whoever thought that was a swell idea..

    I might try it again, I honestly forgot about it haha...

     

    ESO I have a few people trying to talk me into trying when it's free to play. But without a trial somewhere I'm not too keen on dishing out 60$ to try a game I might dislike. The beta's were dreadful :(

    If you hated the betas, ESO probably won't be the game for you. Just like SWTOR it's a story driven game, and the core gameplay isn't likely to change. (Unless it was bugs or something that were keeping you from enjoying it)

    As for Neverwinter, the Drow "exclusive" was a temporal thing. Everyone can play Drow now, while those with the Hero of the North edition got their own special version of it that can have different tattoos (and slightly different Racial abilities I think).

    They've added Dragonborn (Draconian looking people) as a race in another (cheaper) pack, but you can buy that one through the Zen store, which means you can earn it by converting in-game currency if you want it badly enough to farm long enough for it.

    My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

    Feel free to send me a message if you want a guest pass to try Black Desert Online as well!

  • Po_ggPo_gg Member RarePosts: 4,334
    Originally posted by codekitten
    I'll be honest.. I'm not sure what I am looking for. I just feel like I want to play something. I'd rather it be a MMO as I do enjoy the social aspect of them. Even if over the past few years it has felt like most MMO's have lost that social or community feeling. 

    If community is the main aspect, then LotRO would be the most suited candidate - but I think you know that if you already have all the content, and stuff. Unfortunate indeed, that it has issues with your computer... it happens, sadly. Maybe with the new servers this year the issue will be gone.

     

    Until then, the second best candidate for community would be TSW. At least imo, of course. Pretty far from LotRO gameplay-wise, but it has great people, lots of fun events, and roleplay. It also has healers, if that was the problem with GW2, and has trial option, if that was the issue with ESO :) (I mean personally I don't have one right now, but there's a massive buddy key thread on the TSW section here on mmorpg.com, and I could ask around to see if anyone has one left too, if needed)

    True, it's not f2p, 'just' b2p, so you need to buy the box (or 2, for husband too - might I add it's great for playing as a duo, but not everywhere, there are solo instances throughout the storyline). Sometimes it's on sale for 15 bucks, or even for 10 occasionally.

  • StizzledStizzled Member RarePosts: 1,821

    It sounds to me like your just burnt out after having played pretty much every themepark MMO that's worth playing. Maybe you should give something a little more sandbox a shot?

     

    My personal suggestion would be to give Haven & Hearth a shot. Try it out first with just you and your husband and learn the basics. After that, search the forums and try to find an active village to join.

     

    If H&H doesn't look like your kind of game then there's others to choose from. The only game you should probably stay away from is Mortal Online. Then again, you might somehow find it fun, even with all its bugs and overly complicated, yet poorly designed systems.

     

     

  • codekittencodekitten Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade
    Originally posted by codekitten
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade
    You could give Neverwinter a try. If you can ignore the "pay for easy mode" parts of the cash shop, it's not a bad game. ESO's B2P in little over two weeks as well, though I don't know how good it is to play with a partner (I never tried, so I have no experience whether phasing's still such a big deal or not).

    I tried a beta for Neverwinter.. kinda got ticked at it when they tried to say hey if you want to play as a certain race early dish over 200$ .__.; um no.. whoever thought that was a swell idea..

    I might try it again, I honestly forgot about it haha...

     

    ESO I have a few people trying to talk me into trying when it's free to play. But without a trial somewhere I'm not too keen on dishing out 60$ to try a game I might dislike. The beta's were dreadful :(

    If you hated the betas, ESO probably won't be the game for you. Just like SWTOR it's a story driven game, and the core gameplay isn't likely to change. (Unless it was bugs or something that were keeping you from enjoying it)

    As for Neverwinter, the Drow "exclusive" was a temporal thing. Everyone can play Drow now, while those with the Hero of the North edition got their own special version of it that can have different tattoos (and slightly different Racial abilities I think).

    They've added Dragonborn (Draconian looking people) as a race in another (cheaper) pack, but you can buy that one through the Zen store, which means you can earn it by converting in-game currency if you want it badly enough to farm long enough for it.

    For ESO it was the starting island . I never got past it. I was in a really early beta to admit it and there was next to no direction. I love story based games (sadly SWTOR lags a bit for my computer.. I swear I need to figure out why certain games lag while other more demanding ones have 0 issues.. oh well) I've played tons of ElderScroll games and I expected to be kinda tossed somewhere but I really in the beta I was in had 0 idea what to do. 

    Plus the pay to play wasn't too appealing to me at that time either. Like I said I plan to try it next month whenever it goes free to play so long as the game isn't gated to the point where I'd have to sub to play the game anyway ._-;

     

    Yeah I know that they eventually added the race but I saw little point in playing for a month or more on a character I didn't really want. But yeah the abilities and stuff seemed more based on the books or what not from what I know of the lore or stories.. i could be wrong. 

    Also I thought they had the demon or dragon people? Whatever race it was I poked in the beta I just remember being red with a tail haha..My main concern with Neverwinter (as much as I love the single player series) is that it seems like fully party based. I know I keep hearing about player made dungeons or something.. I dunno I haven't looked all that much into it. 

  • codekittencodekitten Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by Po_gg
    Originally posted by codekitten
    I'll be honest.. I'm not sure what I am looking for. I just feel like I want to play something. I'd rather it be a MMO as I do enjoy the social aspect of them. Even if over the past few years it has felt like most MMO's have lost that social or community feeling. 

    If community is the main aspect, then LotRO would be the most suited candidate - but I think you know that if you already have all the content, and stuff. Unfortunate indeed, that it has issues with your computer... it happens, sadly. Maybe with the new servers this year the issue will be gone.

     

    Until then, the second best candidate for community would be TSW. At least imo, of course. Pretty far from LotRO gameplay-wise, but it has great people, lots of fun events, and roleplay. It also has healers, if that was the problem with GW2, and has trial option, if that was the issue with ESO :) (I mean personally I don't have one right now, but there's a massive buddy key thread on the TSW section here on mmorpg.com, and I could ask around to see if anyone has one left too, if needed)

    True, it's not f2p, 'just' b2p, so you need to buy the box (or 2, for husband too - might I add it's great for playing as a duo, but not everywhere, there are solo instances throughout the storyline). Sometimes it's on sale for 15 bucks, or even for 10 occasionally.

    Are they due for new servers? Because I have tried everything to get the lag off. I get motion sickness easily (yes from games) so that ripping and sputtering no matter hwta I do setting wise (in and out of game) kills me from playing for more then a half an hour without paying for it with a terrible headache. 

    I don't mind BtP to be honest. Just trying to stay away from a sub game. If my husband and myself play a sub game that's around 300$ ish for the year of sub. That is a lot of money when you are saving for a house with two kids. ^^; 

    If you could ask around though that would help me a lot. I'd be willing to give it a go. Might as well I have tried so many mmo's that I'm pretty much up for anything really. 

  • codekittencodekitten Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by Stizzled
    It sounds to me like your just burnt out after having played pretty much every themepark MMO that's worth playing. Maybe you should give something a little more sandbox a shot?   My personal suggestion would be to give Haven & Hearth a shot. Try it out first with just you and your husband and learn the basics. After that, search the forums and try to find an active village to join.   If H&H doesn't look like your kind of game then there's others to choose from. The only game you should probably stay away from is Mortal Online. Then again, you might somehow find it fun, even with all its bugs and overly complicated, yet poorly designed systems.    

    It might be my issue.. my other issue is there is like three games I want to be out but they probably won't be till 2016 or later. I've tried a few sandboxes.. I can't think of the names to save my life at the moment but they weren't that impressive. Maybe I just tried some of the worse off ones who knows. 

    My other struggle is I have to see if I enjoy the game first so solo play for a bit till I can talk my husband into trying it. He's a bit stuck on not getting into another game so he just plays D3 all day. I enjoy D3 but I need something else besides the same map over and over.

  • StizzledStizzled Member RarePosts: 1,821
    Originally posted by codekitten
     I've tried a few sandboxes.. I can't think of the names to save my life at the moment but they weren't that impressive. Maybe I just tried some of the worse off ones who knows. 

    Sadboxes really aren't all that impressive when your playing by yourself, at least not to me. But, even the worst ones can shine in groups.

     

    Some of my fondest MMO memories are from a few years ago playing H&H with my brother and a random group of Russians who just kind of showed up near our settlement one day and then never left. Of course, things didn't go well for our merry little band when a much larger group of Chinese players settled to our south. But, even watching everything we had all worked so hard for come crashing down around us was fun in it's own way. The whole experience is something I won't ever forget.

  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

    State what MMOs you presumably are waiting for in 2016 and beyond and that will narrow down your search parameters.

     

    Reality check 101... they're all basically the same game, so that whole been there done that feeling is an absolute if you've even played only 5 MMOs in your lifetime.

  • DevilSephDevilSeph Member UncommonPosts: 147

     I hate to say this to you darling but I am also looking for an mmo but there isn't anything out there anymore.

    The upcoming mmos are just overhyped booring empty games that will fail as well.

    It is very sad but the only hope is if we would see a Lineage 3 or Blizzard new mmo which will not happen for atleasst 6 or maybe more years but not even that is granted because all the mmos got to much player friendly and they lost their competitive nature. We might had good Pve in the past of WoW which was succesfull but all was done for the sake of items to get better in pvp.

    Wow started failling soon as they invented arena items and made raids easyer and lot of stuff.

    Every company thinks they need something new fresh but they all forget of the main basic rules that made this industry succesfull.

    I said 5 years ago as i will say now mmo-s died same as hollywood movies. Money talks and every product need's to reach everybody so the greedy owners can get even more incomes.

    I remember playing Wow like 6,7 years ago farming with a friend and talking about wow and mmo-s future and all came down pretty much about what i said. The mmo  games which was a huge adrenaline and joy changed in front of my eyes in a booring sparkling dizzy overhyped soulles games,

    You can look at this in positive way as well, you can spend time in real life activitys.

  • tarodintarodin Member UncommonPosts: 127

    Try to make music o learn programing and start doing your own games... it will be more challenging than any current game. Games are just about getting items and working like if you were in a factory.

     

    If not you can try to play some single player game: skyrim, morrowind, lords of xulima, mass effect 1 and 2, dragon age...

  • codekittencodekitten Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by Stizzled
    Originally posted by codekitten
     I've tried a few sandboxes.. I can't think of the names to save my life at the moment but they weren't that impressive. Maybe I just tried some of the worse off ones who knows. 

    Sadboxes really aren't all that impressive when your playing by yourself, at least not to me. But, even the worst ones can shine in groups.

     

    Some of my fondest MMO memories are from a few years ago playing H&H with my brother and a random group of Russians who just kind of showed up near our settlement one day and then never left. Of course, things didn't go well for our merry little band when a much larger group of Chinese players settled to our south. But, even watching everything we had all worked so hard for come crashing down around us was fun in it's own way. The whole experience is something I won't ever forget.

    I think some of my fondest moments in any game were when I had friends around new or old ones. Maybe it's just the era games are in now but people don't seem as willing to form lasting friendships or bonds .. they'd rather go off and try to solo everything. Fine and dandy but there are reasons these games are called mmo's >_> Least I thought.

     

    I play Minecraft a bit, that's sandbox right? It's just a small server but that's good enough. There was a sandbox .. I forget what it was now but I was looking forward to it. Though I dont think I heard much on it so I guess it went under.

  • codekittencodekitten Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by Pepeq
    State what MMOs you presumably are waiting for in 2016 and beyond and that will narrow down your search parameters.   Reality check 101... they're all basically the same game, so that whole been there done that feeling is an absolute if you've even played only 5 MMOs in your lifetime.

    The games I am waiting on more or less I have hopes for that they can pull the ideas off but at the same time I've been let down with similar hopes so it's more of twiddle the thumbs to see if something new can come of it. 

    Crowfall, Skysaga and EverQuest Next are the three main ones I've been keeping a eye on. I think there were a few others but presently I can't think of the names.

  • codekittencodekitten Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by DevilSeph
     I hate to say this to you darling but I am also looking for an mmo but there isn't anything out there anymore. The upcoming mmos are just overhyped booring empty games that will fail as well. It is very sad but the only hope is if we would see a Lineage 3 or Blizzard new mmo which will not happen for atleasst 6 or maybe more years but not even that is granted because all the mmos got to much player friendly and they lost their competitive nature. We might had good Pve in the past of WoW which was succesfull but all was done for the sake of items to get better in pvp. Wow started failling soon as they invented arena items and made raids easyer and lot of stuff. Every company thinks they need something new fresh but they all forget of the main basic rules that made this industry succesfull. I said 5 years ago as i will say now mmo-s died same as hollywood movies. Money talks and every product need's to reach everybody so the greedy owners can get even more incomes. I remember playing Wow like 6,7 years ago farming with a friend and talking about wow and mmo-s future and all came down pretty much about what i said. The mmo  games which was a huge adrenaline and joy changed in front of my eyes in a booring sparkling dizzy overhyped soulles games, You can look at this in positive way as well, you can spend time in real life activitys.

    I admit I loved WoW back when I first tried it and when I actually got to make an account during BC. I tried it back in classic but I didn't have the home equipment to run it. I did go back during this last xpack but it was short lived. The whole what was it.. twitter thing? Selfies? No.. just.. no. 

  • codekittencodekitten Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by tarodin
    Try to make music o learn programing and start doing your own games... it will be more challenging than any current game. Games are just about getting items and working like if you were in a factory.   If not you can try to play some single player game: skyrim, morrowind, lords of xulima, mass effect 1 and 2, dragon age...

    My brother in law was working on trying to make a game.. if he would settle on a idea I would happily write and character design for him. The artist in me would be happy. Though this being said he's under a lot of pressure so free time is not there at the moment. 

    I did recently start up Skyrim finally.. I had played all the other ES games minus that one. Still think I'm an Oblivion and Morrowind fangirl. The new dragon Age I am a little iffy on dishing that type of money out. Folks have been saying how bad the ending was and the only information I really wanted to play the game for I found out in a youtube vid of story so .. =/ Maybe the next Dragon Age will answer my questions haha. 

    Any other single player games I'm waiting on are on handhelds and that is still another month away. ^^;

  • Po_ggPo_gg Member RarePosts: 4,334
    Originally posted by codekitten
     

    Are they due for new servers? Because I have tried everything to get the lag off.

    ...

    If you could ask around though that would help me a lot. I'd be willing to give it a go. Might as well I have tried so many mmo's that I'm pretty much up for anything really. 

    Yep, this year they will move back Eu servers to the Eu (and also relocate US ones from Boston I think), and during that they will replace the hardver - or just feed the hamsters, who knows, it's Turbine :)

     

    Ok, I'll ask around tomorrow, and drop a pm if I find any. Until then you can try the thread too (http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/356621/Please-Post-All-TSW-Buddy-Key-Requests-Here.html), and maybe check this video http://youtu.be/OkAHzCfwXGc to see whether you like the mood and the modern setting or not :) 

    I used to suggest that as one of the best compilations, it has the scenery, the mood, the art style, every element of the gameplay and combat too (both regular and target mode, in melee and in range).

  • Shayyd80Shayyd80 Member Posts: 110

    I'd suggest The Secret World (with your husband). It's not very solo friendly sometimes. The dungeons are highly challenging and rewarding though. The RP is very good and the people are mostly nice. 

    Star Wars the Old Republic is pretty good too for F2P though there are some annoying cash shop stipulations. Currently i'm playing as preferred status and having some fun with it. I might sub. Just depends. 

    Guild Wars 2 is good but... gets old quick. 

    There is a stale state in MMO's right now if you ask me. 

    WoW like you said lost it's shine after WoD was out for a couple months. My wife still plays it and won't try anything else becuase she's afraid of change. lol 

    FFXIV got old quick, great game but... grindfest central. 

    So... with all that being said I'd say go with 

    SWTOR and/or TSW. (Rift would also be good for you guys), the cash shop in Rift isn't so bad, they ahve the best F2P model out there. 

    Hope this helps =)

  • codekittencodekitten Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by Po_gg
    Originally posted by codekitten
     

    Are they due for new servers? Because I have tried everything to get the lag off.

    ...

    If you could ask around though that would help me a lot. I'd be willing to give it a go. Might as well I have tried so many mmo's that I'm pretty much up for anything really. 

    Yep, this year they will move back Eu servers to the Eu (and also relocate US ones from Boston I think), and during that they will replace the hardver - or just feed the hamsters, who knows, it's Turbine :)

     

    Ok, I'll ask around tomorrow, and drop a pm if I find any. Until then you can try the thread too (http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/356621/Please-Post-All-TSW-Buddy-Key-Requests-Here.html), and maybe check this video http://youtu.be/OkAHzCfwXGc to see whether you like the mood and the modern setting or not :) 

    I used to suggest that as one of the best compilations, it has the scenery, the mood, the art style, every element of the gameplay and combat too (both regular and target mode, in melee and in range).

    I wanted to try the game like back when it first released. .. but I forget why I didn't. Maybe someone had dragged me back to WoW or some other game at the time. It just got swept under the rug for my mind and I forgot it even came out.

Sign In or Register to comment.