Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: The Daily Quest: Does Story Matter?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMOs are based on their older sibling, the RPG. As a result, all contain lore that explains the universe, the background, even the reasons why we as players are even present in the world. Development teams hire legion writers to fill out the story behind the games we play but, in the end, does it matter to most players?

Almost any MMO site you visit has a special section devoted to game lore complete with class background stories, the 'history' of the world up to the point in time when the player interacts with it, a pantheon of gods that pull the puppet strings and much more.

Lore is further expanded in the games through quest dialog, observation points, items discovered to lend more detail to the stories already known, NPCs that literally in some cases, walk us through the world.

Then there are the officially licensed novels that breathe more life into some of our favorite characters or the events that fill our worlds. World of Warcraft alone has many novels, comic series, manga books, a magazine and even a movie being made about it. Warcraft has so much extra lore that an entire new series is being published later this year (see Warcraft Chronicles) to bring never-yet-heard tales and 'history' from the universe to the public eye.

In short, the creation of lore and story is a massive undertaking for any studio contemplating creating an MMORPG. But...does it matter? Do most players jet through the story via the spacebar or quickly accepting a quest, for instance, without bothering to read the dialog?

So today's quest is to tell us: Does story matter to you? Let us know in the comments!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Tracho12Tracho12 Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Nope
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by Tracho12
    Nope

XP matters. Rewards matter.

Story stopped mattering around the turn of the century.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    I love it, but its hard to stop and read when there are so many levels to plow through...
  • ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Yes, certainly. Story was one reason I enjoyed City of Heroes, and the difficulty of finding story was why I didn't keep up with EQ2 (I know it has story, but there was too much time spent on fillers and traveling). I would rather go slowly through levels and get lots of story.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Yeah it matters but they need to do a better job of integrating it into the game so it doesn't make you stop playing to read something.

I like the way D3 does it: you pick up a background story fragment and it's narrated to you with voice over while you continue playing without interrupting the flow.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Not to me. As a roleplayer, I play to enjoy my own stories (and those of my friends), not the game's.

<3

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

only time i was EVER interested in story-THE SECRET WORLD.

havent you guys covered this before?

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

not in mmo's.

• ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757

For me story matters quite a bit.

If I don't like the setting I will not even try the game.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Yes. If there's no reason for me to be doing your quests, then I eventually won't do them and probably will go elsewhere.

• gunmanvladgunmanvlad Member UncommonPosts: 281

For a PvE focused game (e.g. themepark MMOs), story, and most vitally setting, is 100% vital for success. "The objective" needs to be something people can understand and relate to. "Defeat pixels" doesn't sound too enticing.

For a PvP focused game, I would say story is largely irrelevant, as people are far more focused on social interaction (be it at the tip of a dagger).

For me, a long-term game without a story is worthless, as I play games as a form of entertainment similar to movies and books. I like to experience a story with friends and other people because it is cooler that way imo, but I still need that good setting. Of course the MAJOR difference is when we move to PvP competitive games, like shooters or MOBAs, where I honestly could not care less what's going around...I just want to look cool and smash faces!

• GaeluianGaeluian Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Kind of a silly question really. It depends on the game. If it's WoW, then, most would say no, but, if it's ESO, or SWTOR then most would say yes.
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Story matters to me. I can kill things and get loot in any game.
  • mnemic666mnemic666 Member UncommonPosts: 224
    No. It's subservient to gameplay in any game, as it's gameplay that defines the game and not story. And I'm saying this as someone who loves the hell out of TSW and its fantastic story despite it's pretty "ho-hum" gameplay.
  • WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

no..

Companies spend so much money and energy on cut scenes and storyline and leave the gameplay, mechanics and longevity completely out.

Story should be Ambient, background to what you are doing in the world. MMOS are about shared experience and organic events through the games systems and social interaction.

Not a forced script shoved down the players throat.

The best memories:

Taking a keep from a rival guild.

Duel tourneys with friends.

Driving your ship on Land, F'in around.

Finally clearing that dungeon that gave you so much trouble.

Finding a great EXP camp with friends.

The force story lines are not memorable, and they create games that are solo and empty.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• Tracho12Tracho12 Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Originally posted by Adjuvant1

Story matters to me. I can kill things and get loot in any game.

Precisely the reason story doesn't matter to me.

I can read a book or watch movies/anime to get a good story.
  • MuktukMuktuk Member UncommonPosts: 84

The game should be the story.

Cutscenes and forced dialogs are why the ESC key was invented.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    The only stories that matter are the ones you remeber. And the ones I remember from MMORPGs were the ones we made.
  • Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    The story is the backbone of the game, and not just for MMORPG's and RPG's. Even tabletop wargames, which RPG's evolved from, use story as a central theme giving the game purpose and direction.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

For mmoRPG is matters.  For those who shorten it to mmo, I don't think it does.

Roleplaying since 1974. :D

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Member UncommonPosts: 233
    Absolutely, not much more to say about this. Without story and Lore, the world my character is in might as well not exist. 

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I am getting used to them in today's MMO's.

But personaly story matters when I am playing a linear singleplayer game. but when playing a RPG I want to get involved within the game world where the story is the backdrop. The lore is there to know for who/what or why I am fighting. 

Just like real life I am free to pursuit my own wishes regardless the history of my country.

To me there was time I thought MMORPG's would evolve into being about a player chooses a race/class/species is then dropped into a world full of it's own history/lore but with the freedom to explore what ever path they want to take.

So Story in a MMORPG isn't really important to me. Pulling me into it's worlds with the right tools to be able to  create my own story is far more important to me. Unfortunaly only Star Wars Galaxies has been able to pull this off for me.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Not anymore.

Quite ironic when you take into consideration that modern batch of MMORPGs (Rift, Swtor, GW2, TESO and more) did put more emphasis on story, but at the same time changes to overall game design and change to target audience both made story, lore and game world to matter less.

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    Originally posted by dreamscaper
    Not to me. As a roleplayer, I play to enjoy my own stories (and those of my friends), not the game's.

The game's stories and lore provide the foundation upon which further stories are developed. How can you tell the tale of defeating the evil Overlord if the game does not provide the Overlord and his place in the story.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Definitely love the story. I enjoyed SWTOR and TSW for this reason. I also like ESO a lot now.
    Chamber of Chains