Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game seems like it won't do well.

Comments

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by Allein
    Originally posted by NobleNerd
    Originally posted by BearKnight
    Originally posted by knightofblackvalor
    Does it seem like this game isn't going to do well at all since there are already better pvp alternatives out there?

There are absolutely NO "better" alternatives to PVP out on the market. Currently PVE-Themepark is flooding the market. Most of which are failing left and right, and studios close due to this path that they've taken.

More diversity is ALWAYS good. 

Please give examples of "better" titles out there that do pvp "better". Please reframe from listing ANY themepark MMOs that simply tacked a "pvp module" on later that doesn't fit at all with the game they designed. (ie: don't list WoW, RIFT, etc...these are themepark games with an emphasis on hand-holding, quest-driven, content).

-Bear

What MMO PVE-Themepark games have failed left and right? I must have missed all those server shutdowns.

Very few games (if any) make zero profit and turn off the lights early. Some games simply don't have longevity and can't sustain, but if people had a decent experience, devs were paid and no one was left holding the check, I consider that a win/win.

We seem to generalize based on our personal experiences with this whole "fail" or "better" mentality. A game might fail us personally or another game might be better to us, but it is all relative.

The only recent game that hadnt have layoffs of CORE staff is GW2.

The rest had to adapt to what they were getting, not what they wanted to/set out to get and that is failure.

When you set the bar at 2,0 m and dont jump over it thats failure.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Malabooga

The rest had to adapt to what they were getting, not what they wanted to/set out to get and that is failure.

Unless a company openly says they are aiming for XYZ, hard for anyone to point out their failures, subjective or otherwise.

GW2 failed to keep me as a customer, but obviously many continue to enjoy it.

Seems to be more of gamers that set the imaginary bars that companies do or don't jump over.

For CF, I'm completely fine with it staying a relatively small game as long as they are making enough profit to support and develop and there are enough others playing to have a full experience and not play in a ghost town. If both of those can be met along with the game actually be entertaining to begin with, will be a big win for me.

Then there are many of those that have already knee jerked into "FFA PVP, Full Loot, Cartoon, Gender Lock - FAIL!!!!" 

We are a silly bunch.

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by Allein
    Originally posted by Malabooga

Unless a company openly says they are aiming for XYZ, hard for anyone to point out their failures, subjective or otherwise.

GW2 failed to keep me as a customer, but obviously many continue to enjoy it.

Seems to be more of gamers that set the imaginary bars that companies do or don't jump over.

For CF, I'm completely fine with it staying a relatively small game as long as they are making enough profit to support and develop and there are enough others playing to have a full experience and not play in a ghost town. If both of those can be met along with the game actually be entertaining to begin with, will be a big win for me.

Then there are many of those that have already knee jerked into "FFA PVP, Full Loot, Cartoon, Gender Lock - FAIL!!!!" 

We are a silly bunch.

Theres nothing imaginary of laying off half of your staff and closing 90% of servers, extending "monthly updates" to 3-4 monthly updates, going F2P/B2P or even adding cash shop on top of sub "fund euaropean servers and such", fires their CEO.... etc etc

CF will need enough players to fill campaigns, as in CF players will be all that more important than in PvE game.

But first it needs to be good/fun game, if they manage that people will come. But yah, it doesnt need 500k or 1m active players.

• xevanonxevanon Member UncommonPosts: 76

So far if they stand for their vision, the game will deliver and have a huge players base!

I'll be there!

• SJStrikersSJStrikers Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Does it seem like this game isn't going to do well at all since there are already better pvp alternatives out there?

There are absolutely NO "better" alternatives to PVP out on the market. Currently PVE-Themepark is flooding the market. Most of which are failing left and right, and studios close due to this path that they've taken.

Please give examples of "better" titles out there that do pvp "better". Please reframe from listing ANY themepark MMOs that simply tacked a "pvp module" on later that doesn't fit at all with the game they designed. (ie: don't list WoW, RIFT, etc...these are themepark games with an emphasis on hand-holding, quest-driven, content).

-Bear

Well I played DAoC when it first came out with Mark Jacobs at the helm and currently have 0 titles that compete with that pvp experience. But Camelot Unchained is coming out so since the bar was set so high on Dark Age I will be checking out that pvp, which, I am assuming, will be better. To be fair, I played Shadowbane as well and find it probably 2 or 3 favorite of all time. We will see!!

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by baphamet

i know nothing about this game, is it ffa full looting? if so, yeah it wont do well and thats not really going out on a limb either.

those kind of games rarely do well, i can only think of one that has been released in the last 10 or 12 years that has.

Really thats why Asheron call 1  had PVE servers and PVP  and the PVP with full loot did the best since 1998.. I'm confused... I for one love full loot, not because I like ganking,  but I like helping people who get ganked and the challenge .  You actually think before you go out and hunt rather than just dieing, and nothing really happens like Rift, WOW etc.. 

• Emmanuel_Dizon08Emmanuel_Dizon08 Member Posts: 4
    it will, And it will be popular the next 6 months. Looking forward to it. :)
  • FearmeirlFearmeirl Member UncommonPosts: 231
    Originally posted by Wolfhammer

While I'm not a backer, the kickstarter wants a word with you....

Can you kindly explain the relation of the games funding based on promises versus the actual gameplay mechanics?

Look, I want CF to be good, but over hyping and dreaming its going to be some golden knight savior of a game is a bit silly to begin with. CF will probably have some good things, but EVERY game has downsides. 

Remember that laundry list of amazing features the original DFO had? Remember the hype?

Lets hope it works out this time.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

It's not the rulesets I have a problem with, it's the ability telepraphs. I don't want to play a game with telegraphs because I'm not 5 years old. It's fucking insulting when a Dev thinks we need telegraphs in order to be able to play the game.

That's the one reason I never even bothered with Wildstar. It's the one reason I won't bother with CF.

• lacuey02lacuey02 Member Posts: 6
    hmmm..let's see how it goes and judge it later :P
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

It's not the rulesets I have a problem with, it's the ability telepraphs. I don't want to play a game with telegraphs because I'm not 5 years old. It's fucking insulting when a Dev thinks we need telegraphs in order to be able to play the game.

That's the one reason I never even bothered with Wildstar. It's the one reason I won't bother with CF.

You aren't alone and they said (during the Kickstarter) that the combat shown was just something they threw together to show off the potential. Either won't be any telegraphs or very minimal. Certainly won't be Wildstar like, although I personally wouldn't mind something like SMITE's system.

• mashiannmashiann Member Posts: 8

Good number of it's kickstarter gives this game the idea it will going to do well besides we can't tell yet if this won't work.

Too earlier to make our conclusions out of the PvP in the market :D

• mashiannmashiann Member Posts: 8
    I agree with this, more than 50% kickstarter in less than a day give this game a sign it will going to do well.  Let's see first what will happen, nothing happens yet :P
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I've learned to not to assume anything at this stage.  Some that are called greats aren't and some that aren't are.  However, for many, saying it will fail is a good bet since most don't do that great.  They do get to tell us that they told us so though.

I self identify as a monkey.

• emmnldzn8emmnldzn8 Member Posts: 4
    We'll see. But I hope it will. :)
  • outlaw_countryoutlaw_country Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by emmnldzn8
    We'll see. But I hope it will. :)

I agree and I hope it will as the game is still in its beginning phase, so we'll see. 

• kahkonkahkon Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Originally posted by JayFiveAlive
    What better PvP alternatives are there? What in particular is bad about Crowfall's PvP that you didn't like when you tried it? Do tell!

Idk I think it will be another full loot pvp dead in a month population decline kind of game. Most people who play in the PVP crowds are in the MOBA genre. 

They will have fluffy rulesets for the weak at heart.  You can join a ruleset with zero loot on death.  This game is designed to appeal to the casual masses as well as the hardcore pvper...

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    What better PvP alternatives are there? What in particular is bad about Crowfall's PvP that you didn't like when you tried it? Do tell!

camelot unchained.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Whenever i see post about this game i think back to all the hype archage got here. How it was going to be the next best open world PVP game and it would rule the mmo market. Not one person here knows anything. By the time the game comes out the devs could do a 180 and you guys that backed it have zero say about anything. 
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Originally posted by Thane

camelot unchained.

Let's play "my game is more hyped than yours"!

• JermzyJermzy Member UncommonPosts: 211

-Bear

Dark Age of Camelot.   Nobody does PvP better, even after 14 years.  If you have never played, or heard of the game, then pvp should not matter THAT much to you.

Haroo!
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Misses a solid based post with list of valid arguments to solidify your claim.

In other words: needs content.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• VaselVasel Member UncommonPosts: 226
    I think this game is interesting and will do just fine. My only concern is the over hype at this point. WE know only a tiny fraction of the game. I think people are setting themselves up for disappointment.
  • Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469

Ah, the doom & gloom cycle begins early with this one.

Personally, I would have started with the "this game is a clone of X, with features ripped off from Y & Z, and since those games do not currently have more subs than WoW, this game will fail" post. It's always good to throw a Trion slam in as well to get the guaranteed DMK bump.

This will do though, I suppose.

/yawn image

-Chuckles

Originally posted by Thane

camelot unchained.

Originally posted by Jermzy

Dark Age of Camelot.   Nobody does PvP better, even after 14 years.  If you have never played, or heard of the game, then pvp should not matter THAT much to you.

DAoC gave me my favorite PVP experience for a mmorpg in my 20 years online, but it is only one type of PVP, although Andred/Mordred were a blast while they lasted as well.

Camelot Unchained sounds great but it sounds like a modern take on DAoC without a ton of stepping away from the original idea.

Crowfall will have a similar DAoC tri-realm (or more) setup as an option on top of FFA, GvG, and whatever else they think up or players demand.

To me that is what really draws me in, options. Putting all the eggs in one basket seems to result in what DAoC is today, a good game that basically "no one" plays.

I could have my "DAoC experience" for 3, 6, 12 months then do FFA for a couple, then God vs God, then.... or juggle different types at once.

Where as Camelot Unchained looks to be another standard play the same way forever and hope your realm of choice doesn't suck on the server you invest time in and that a decent group of folks remain around months/years down the line to keep the gaming fun.

I know DAoC still has a dedicated group of folks still, but not everyone can do the same thing day after day forever. If I wanted to do that, I'd only play FPS, MOBAs, and other full lobby games.

I hope both turn out great, but my money is going to Crowfall for now.