Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game seems like it won't do well.

Comments

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by paulytheb
    Originally posted by Slampig
    Originally posted by BearKnight
    Originally posted by knightofblackvalor
    Does it seem like this game isn't going to do well at all since there are already better pvp alternatives out there?

There are absolutely NO "better" alternatives to PVP out on the market. Currently PVE-Themepark is flooding the market. Most of which are failing left and right, and studios close due to this path that they've taken.

More diversity is ALWAYS good. 

Please give examples of "better" titles out there that do pvp "better". Please reframe from listing ANY themepark MMOs that simply tacked a "pvp module" on later that doesn't fit at all with the game they designed. (ie: don't list WoW, RIFT, etc...these are themepark games with an emphasis on hand-holding, quest-driven, content).

-Bear

How about YOU list all the PvP games on the market that are tearing it up. Shooters don't count.

Name the five most popular sports in America. Football,baseball and basketball don't count.

See how ridiculous that sounds? Of course shooters count !

Game of War spent 40 million on their Superbowl advertising campaign. That is more than some games have for a total budget. No one just gave them that money to spend for no reason. That counts.

LOL and DOTA2 have numbers of players that make WOW envious. That counts.

You better believe people are paying attention to all the money Star Citizen is raking in. That counts.

Maybe it doesn't count to you. But closing your eyes doesn't make it dark outside.

I don't think he was saying "ignore popular PvP games!!" I think what he was saying is that we can readily acknowledge that shooters are extremely popular, but they don't count because it's an apples to oranges comparison. It's two completely different genres. Same goes for MOBAs for that matter. Although, maybe, a little more closely related, we're not talking about a 10-minute lobby game here. I think that these types of games definitely prove that there is a market for PvP. What they don't do is prove that there is a market for MMORPGs that are PvP-centric. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• MashintaoMashintao Member Posts: 1

Yeah I've got a few beefs too.

-Action combat with floating 3rd person camera.  LOL. Name one game that has done well with this, and no, Tera isn't an answer.  Action combat with 1st person only?  Hell yeah, FPS games are everywhere and do fairly well.  Darkfall did this and was successful for quite some time, even with a subscription.   Leave the action combat to FPS games and MOBA's that have fixed camera perspectives, or make your game first person only. 

-Color coded attack telegraphs?  Give me a fucking break.  That shit doesn't belong in a real action game.  At least not one made for people over the age of 6.  Get rid of this crap unless you want to be branded a Disney game like Wildstar was and not be taken seriously by hardcore gamers - you know... the demographic who would actually play a PVP strategy game.

-"Chunky" art style complete with armor and weapons that look like they're made out of carved stone.  *facepalm* More ugly cartoon crap.

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    Originally posted by Howbadisbad

I mean it got over 50% of it's kickstarter in less than a day, it's already doing well.

As for the actual game, there are no other MMORPG PVP games that reset the world every so often to give players that new game landrush type of feeling so it has already carved out it's niche.

That's not exactly true.  Path of Exile does it by having new leagues come up every few months and chucking all the old stuff into the regular hardcore and normal modes.   Right now the part about this game that makes me nervous is the whole VIP description, as my experience with games that have VIP systems for monetary gain have been abysmal and/or short lived. 

However, at this point it's pretty much just an idea with some prototype work behind it.  If someone feels confident enough with what they are presenting to want to throw money at the idea, go ahead.  Otherwise, just contribute later on after the kickstarter or wait until it gets into a release state / early access.   Kickstarter is basically an idea presentation / hype machine system that feeds on peoples excitement for a possible product.

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Clearly there IS a huge crowd out there that WANTS a open world PVP-sandbox game. This could be the one that nails it. My hopes sure is with Crowfall atm.
  • ZhjrisZhjris Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad
    Originally posted by PottedPlant22
    Does it seem like this game isn't going to do well at all since there are already better pvp alternatives out there?

There are absolutely NO "better" alternatives to PVP out on the market. Currently PVE-Themepark is flooding the market. Most of which are failing left and right, and studios close due to this path that they've taken.

Please give examples of "better" titles out there that do pvp "better". Please reframe from listing ANY themepark MMOs that simply tacked a "pvp module" on later that doesn't fit at all with the game they designed. (ie: don't list WoW, RIFT, etc...these are themepark games with an emphasis on hand-holding, quest-driven, content).

-Bear

Do PVP better? The game isn't out.  But let's grab a few games that either have or will have interesting PVP mechanics now.  Darkfall, Camelot Unchained, Pathfinder Online, EVE.

You aren't seriously suggesting that Darkfall as an example of great PvP mechanics are you?

Are you kidding? That is where Darkfall excelled at better than anything else on the market. The pvp was the selling point. There are so many carebear games without full loot, meaningful gameplay, good combat, sandbox features. So please go to your pseudo pvp games like ESO because more and more full loot, sandbox pvp mmos are being made. Df1 is my favorite mmo of all time and could have been so much better if Aventurine didn't urinate on their playerbase with Unholy Wars.

If Star Citizen doesn't pan out well(which i think will be the case) this will be sought after and or The Repopulation(if it ever gets its shit together). Lets hope all of these deliver on what we expect.

Originally posted by Zhjris

-Bear

Do PVP better? The game isn't out.  But let's grab a few games that either have or will have interesting PVP mechanics now.  Darkfall, Camelot Unchained, Pathfinder Online, EVE.

You aren't seriously suggesting that Darkfall as an example of great PvP mechanics are you?

Are you kidding? That is where Darkfall excelled at better than anything else on the market. The pvp was the selling point. There are so many carebear games without full loot, meaningful gameplay, good combat, sandbox features. So please go to your pseudo pvp games like ESO because more and more full loot, sandbox pvp mmos are being made. Df1 is my favorite mmo of all time and could have been so much better if Aventurine didn't urinate on their playerbase with Unholy Wars.

If Star Citizen doesn't pan out well(which i think will be the case) this will be sought after and or The Repopulation(if it ever gets its shit together). Lets hope all of these deliver on what we expect.

Star Citizen and Crowfall aren't even in the same category.  What the heck makes you think someone interested in Star Citizen is going to suddenly have a massive shift in their gaming interests and play Crowfall?  Unless someone is already interested in the kind of game Crowfall is being pitched to be (which in my mind is a strange mix of Planetside 2 + Fantasy MMO over the shoulder PoV + Guild Wars 2 style area of effect attacks), they aren't going to go rushing to the game.

Also I think Star Citizen will do fine.  It's the other games like Descent Underground and this guy that I'm worried about.  

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Game biggest issues are combat system and game looks very cheap (cartoonish).
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Originally posted by Mashintao

Yeah I've got a few beefs too.

-Action combat with floating 3rd person camera.  LOL. Name one game that has done well with this, and no, Tera isn't an answer.  Action combat with 1st person only?  Hell yeah, FPS games are everywhere and do fairly well.  Darkfall did this and was successful for quite some time, even with a subscription.   Leave the action combat to FPS games and MOBA's that have fixed camera perspectives, or make your game first person only. 

-Color coded attack telegraphs?  Give me a fucking break.  That shit doesn't belong in a real action game.  At least not one made for people over the age of 6.  Get rid of this crap unless you want to be branded a Disney game like Wildstar was and not be taken seriously by hardcore gamers - you know... the demographic who would actually play a PVP strategy game.

-"Chunky" art style complete with armor and weapons that look like they're made out of carved stone.  *facepalm* More ugly cartoon crap.

Even tis ur first post and u maeby troll but i totally agree with u.

• seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419
    Originally posted by Arskaaa

Yes it looks cartoonish but i think it is so that more people can play it ( older or cheaper systems ).

But to go back on main topic, there is a lot of people that like open world pvp if done correctly. In this case what is interesting is the fact that each campaign as it's own rules and duration. Even have it's own map called Eternal kingdom where you can kill mobs, etc but not get any ressources and no pvp, but at the same time the world does not change. It will allow you to play more of the story in the game and give you a break when it comes to pvp.

If they can pull it then i am sure it will be a success, but again we will need to wait until some have played the game and gives feedback about it. I have not pledge for it yet and probably will not for a while because i know it will take a while before it comes out and things can change real quick from kickstarter to release. But once it is near release if things looks good and they keep there words about how this game will work i can see myself buying a pack to support this one.

• ZhjrisZhjris Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Originally posted by Colt47

-Bear

Star Citizen and Crowfall aren't even in the same category.  What the heck makes you think someone interested in Star Citizen is going to suddenly have a massive shift in their gaming interests and play Crowfall?  Unless someone is already interested in the kind of game Crowfall is being pitched to be (which in my mind is a strange mix of Planetside 2 + Fantasy MMO over the shoulder PoV + Guild Wars 2 style area of effect attacks), they aren't going to go rushing to the game.

Also I think Star Citizen will do fine.  It's the other games like Descent Underground and this guy that I'm worried about.  

Because the people that are looking to play Crowfall would be the same category that would play Star Citizen. Just because one is a space sim doesn't mean they arent similar. The veteran nomading gamers these days don't care about IPS or what genre a game is as long as it is a great game that doesn't burn us.

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096

I mean it got over 50% of it's kickstarter in less than a day, it's already doing well.

As for the actual game, there are no other MMORPG PVP games that reset the world every so often to give players that new game landrush type of feeling so it has already carved out it's niche.

That is 100 percent not true, world war 2 online does that, and so does pirates of the burning sea....

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by Arskaaa

Combat needs to be polished and they are. Soon they are adding a new particle dev. Videos you saw are pre alpha and very unpolished. Unity 5 is pretty amazing they haven't begun to touch it up yet.

-Bear

Because the people that are looking to play Crowfall would be the same category that would play Star Citizen. Just because one is a space sim doesn't mean they arent similar. The veteran nomading gamers these days don't care about IPS or what genre a game is as long as it is a great game that doesn't burn us.

You are talking about a pvp centric game vs a pve centric game that just happens to have some pvp in it.  I forsee moba players and people who like group pvp to be playing Crowfall, not someone who enjoys some group activities but likes the freedom to do things solo or on their own if they choose.  Crowfall is targeting a very specific group of people, and while I like the idea of the game and funded it I do not expect it to reach the lofty heights of a more "for the masses" game.  Not unless it turns into the next dark souls or something.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

-Bear

You are talking about a pvp centric game vs a pve centric game that just happens to have some pvp in it.  I forsee moba players and people who like group pvp to be playing Crowfall, not someone who enjoys some group activities but likes the freedom to do things solo or on their own if they choose.  Crowfall is targeting a very specific group of people, and while I like the idea of the game and funded it I do not expect it to reach the lofty heights of a more "for the masses" game.  Not unless it turns into the next dark souls or something.

Agree, you can expect the same niche following similar to a game like Dark Fall.

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489
    this and Camelto unchained will be the hits of 2016
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I don't see how it's that much unlike what ESO does with it's RvR. I mean in respect to separated zones for PVP, campaigns for the actual conflict,  a winner as well as loser at the end. Then it resets.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• HowbadisbadHowbadisbad Member UncommonPosts: 453

Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Howbadisbad I mean it got over 50% of it's kickstarter in less than a day, it's already doing well. As for the actual game, there are no other MMORPG PVP games that reset the world every so often to give players that new game landrush type of feeling so it has already carved out it's niche.
    I don't see how it's that much unlike what ESO does with it's RvR. I mean in respect to separated zones for PVP, campaigns for the actual conflict,  a winner as well as loser at the end. Then it resets.

Because the entirety of ESO doesn't reset. ESO PVP is a minigame, almost completely separate from the main game.

Waiting for:
    The Repopulation
    Albion Online

Originally posted by Howbadisbad I mean it got over 50% of it's kickstarter in less than a day, it's already doing well. As for the actual game, there are no other MMORPG PVP games that reset the world every so often to give players that new game landrush type of feeling so it has already carved out it's niche.

Because the entirety of ESO doesn't reset. ESO PVP is a minigame, almost completely separate from the main game.

Nor do your kingdoms reset in Crowfall, only the PVP campaigns. In that sense you just described Crowfall's PVP campaigns as well.

Nor do your kingdoms reset in Crowfall, only the PVP campaigns.

Which is the main game, the eternal kingdoms are a social hub for relaxing and have no impact on the main game.

Waiting for:
    The Repopulation
    Albion Online

Which is the main game, the eternal kingdoms are a social hub for relaxing and have no impact on the main game.

Sounds like selective reasoning to me. Let em guess you don't like ESO? Both feature a campaign system for their PVP that consists of a continent in and of itself, so if one is a "mini" game the other is as well...

The eternal kingdom is the persistent part of the game. You build it up with what you earn in the PVP portion.

Sounds like selective reasoning to me. Let em guess you don't like ESO? Both feature a campaign system for their PVP that consists of a continent in and of itself, so if one is a "mini" game the other is as well...

The eternal kingdom is the persistent part of the game. You build it up with what you earn in the PVP portion.

The difference is that you will need to be participating in PVP to get anything done in Crowfall because it is the main part of the game, the eternal kingdoms are a measure of progression, but it is just for show. (like a scoreboard)

You don't need to enter PVP in ESO because it is a minigame you can play in your spare time until you want to go back to the main part of the game and raid some dungeons/do some quests (pretty much all instanced battlegrounds or w/e work like this.)

Waiting for:
    The Repopulation
    Albion Online

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by IAmMMO

If it has full loot PVP, and you have to grind away on rocks & trees and grind mobs for resources to make the things to PVP with then the community will slowly shrink to a small hardcore group. The rest would have given up on the tedious resource grind, and griefing and domination of certain large PVP gaming communities of those resources and mob spots.

All wearable equipment and weapons shouldn't be lootable, but can wear and tear, and what's in your pack should be lootable. PVP equipment that took time to make or get the in game money to buy from another crafting player shouldn't be taken from a player in the few seconds of pvp when things quickly against them.,people want to get back in to the fight and get better. Let the risk be in collecting the things you need, but once made and worn its not lootable, it only wears and tears.

I imagine there will be a rule set similar to this.  While I don't love PvP for the sake of PvP, I do enjoy freedom from quests and running errands for NPC's so I may check this game out.  Also PvE with risk vs reward is something I really enjoy.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

-Bear

What MMO PVE-Themepark games have failed left and right? I must have missed all those server shutdowns.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by NobleNerd

-Bear

What MMO PVE-Themepark games have failed left and right? I must have missed all those server shutdowns.

Very few games (if any) make zero profit and turn off the lights early. Some games simply don't have longevity and can't sustain, but if people had a decent experience, devs were paid and no one was left holding the check, I consider that a win/win.

We seem to generalize based on our personal experiences with this whole "fail" or "better" mentality. A game might fail us personally or another game might be better to us, but it is all relative.

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977

Nor do your kingdoms reset in Crowfall, only the PVP campaigns. In that sense you just described Crowfall's PVP campaigns as well.

In CF campaigns are the game, EK is completely optional, side attarction for PvPers

In ESO PvE is the game and AvA completely optional, side attractions for PvEers.

If you cant see the difference....