Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FF14 : ARR, is for real and not looking back! Watch out WoW !

Comments

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Malabooga

There are 2 assumptions I will make.

1. SE is not going to cancel the game any time soon.

2. When I log into the game I will continue to expect to see many players at all levels doing all kinds of different things together.

Is there anything else you need to define a successful MMORPG?

I really don't care if the number is 50K,  500K, or 5000K. The game feels like it's the most populated MMORPG on the market. 

Thats why you make small zones if your server tech cant handle large number of players, im saying that for a long time, SWTOR, for instance, huge zones but only 50-ish people/instance of zone, of course you wont see pretty much anyone even if there are 1000000000000 players playing SAME zone at the same time.

And?

See, something tells me that if their servers are all running at or near capacity, And we can see that they are, not just by changing server metrics to say "Full Server" even if it's not. And that even if that "Full" number is lower than other MMORPGs, it's still pretty safe to assume they have at least hit their projected target for what they wanted for populations.

Anything else..........who cares? It changes nothing.

Thats true. If there arent layoffs and constant extension of content delivery its fine, nothing would really change if they got another million subs, just look at WoW, 5 10 15 million subs and nothing really changes.

FF is doing fine and thats nice, but OP wanted to have pši**ing contest with WoW and well. If he chose SWTOR, or Rift or LOTRO he could actually came out as superior (as it even matters lol)

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad

2. When I log into the game I will continue to expect to see many players at all levels doing all kinds of different things together.

I really don't care if the number is 50K,  500K, or 5000K. The game feels like it's the most populated MMORPG on the market. 

Thats why you make small zones if your server tech cant handle large number of players, im saying that for a long time, SWTOR, for instance, huge zones but only 50-ish people/instance of zone, of course you wont see pretty much anyone even if there are 1000000000000 players playing SAME zone at the same time.

Whatever. You can't even make a character in over half of the servers unless it is like 2am in the morning due to the number of players. This is the only MMO that has released recently that didn't have server merges. It isn't obfuscated behind things like "mega" servers for GW2.

My kids were like, "Dad, join FFXIV again with us"! So I paid my subscription and attempted to join their server (Gilgimesh) I think it was. Anyway, I couldn't join! I was like frick, I will try again later. They then said "Dad, you will have to try at about 2am". Fine, still can't create a toon! I tried for about 3 days off and on and finally just gave up. They got my $14.99 and I tried to get a refund but never got an answer. I'm not sure why they can't be like other games and have a seperate character server. /shrug

It's not 2AM, Try 7AM.......well, it works for me EST

I did all this about a month or so ago and have no interest now. They have moved on as well so no big deal. They are probably the major reason for my gaming ADD and not being able to focus! I appreciate the information though!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

And?

See, something tells me that if their servers are all running at or near capacity, And we can see that they are, not just by changing server metrics to say "Full Server" even if it's not. And that even if that "Full" number is lower than other MMORPGs, it's still pretty safe to assume they have at least hit their projected target for what they wanted for populations.

Anything else..........who cares? It changes nothing.

Thats true. If there arent layoffs and constant extension of content delivery its fine, nothing would really change if they got another million subs, just look at WoW, 5 10 15 million subs and nothing really changes.

FF is doing fine and thats nice, but OP wanted to have pši**ing contest with WoW and well. If he chose SWTOR, or Rift or LOTRO he could actually came out as superior (as it even matters lol)

I've nothing to say about the OP's reference to WoW. But that doesn't justify the opposite either.

Somewhere between the success of WoW and the doomsayer's "failure" of XIV:ARR is the truth of the matter. But no one seems to care about that.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Whatever. You can't even make a character in over half of the servers unless it is like 2am in the morning due to the number of players. This is the only MMO that has released recently that didn't have server merges. It isn't obfuscated behind things like "mega" servers for GW2.

My kids were like, "Dad, join FFXIV again with us"! So I paid my subscription and attempted to join their server (Gilgimesh) I think it was. Anyway, I couldn't join! I was like frick, I will try again later. They then said "Dad, you will have to try at about 2am". Fine, still can't create a toon! I tried for about 3 days off and on and finally just gave up. They got my $14.99 and I tried to get a refund but never got an answer. I'm not sure why they can't be like other games and have a seperate character server. /shrug

It's not 2AM, Try 7AM.......well, it works for me EST

You are right.  It is 7am  for Gilgamesh. That is the server my wife and I play on. I remember making characters just before going to work. It was the only time available. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• Froggie85Froggie85 Member UncommonPosts: 221

Okay...almost a year later and im unbanned. FINALLY.

First - If your gonna argue about the game, get the title right okay. Refer to it as ARR and NOT XIV. Got it ? Depends on what you say and or link, you might look foolish. 

Second - Someone here said you couldent see 1000000 people at once in any given area in the game. 

Proof your wrong :  and this is old as hell. Gold Saucer is wall to wall packed.

Third - Peeps keep saying that the zones are small. About 4 are small. Oh yeah.....4 out of....um...30 something lol. 

Also as a test, you can hire a chocobo porter to transport you from one end of a map to the other and has a time.  Usually about 2 to 4 minutes depends on where you are. The chocobo you ride is as fast as your mounts in game and they take a more direct route and pull NO aggro. Which make what you say about small zones, FALSE. 

As for the cacpot on Cactuar server we had about 5k as well BUT we also had peeps that didnt do cacpot.....so numbers might be off per server.

Next - PLEASE link any RECENT info you have to back up your claims. I don't want an article from 3 years ago about a game that failed. Were talking about ARR. NEVER once did Yoshi - p ever say he was reaching for WoW numbers. Post proof if i'm wrong. I wanna hear it from Yoshi - P himself. 

I have to add this as well. How is the game confusing? How? My buddy just started and it's his first mmo EVER and he's not confused or lost ? Did I mention he's NEW to mmo's?

This game will not fail. It will not go F2P.  We get Quality and QUANITY in our patches, mind you, that cost us nothing extra *cough* SWTOR *cough*. Ever 3 to 3 and a half months. Like clockwork. 

And FYI, honestly, IMHO, I think we have all the players we need. I can barely click on anything anywhere because of so many people around. 

Haters get a can of HATERAIDE !! 

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    THe maps are very small in comparison to other big hitters like eso,rift,Lotr and gw2 but that said I do think this is one of the few negatives, the devs clearly care and have been given scope to invest rather than pump out any shit that broadband the demographic. Top 3 MMO I reckon (in terms of quality and depth not subs)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Originally posted by Bladestrom
    THe maps are very small in comparison to other big hitters like eso,rift,Lotr and gw2 but that said I do think this is one of the few negatives, the devs clearly care and have been given scope to invest rather than pump out any shit that broadband the demographic. Top 3 MMO I reckon (in terms of quality and depth not subs)

This ^^

+1

I put it number 2 behind WoW but definitly above SWTOR, GW2, WS, ESO(for now March 17th). Theres just so much to do.

Why would you say not in population? Maybe SWTOR has more? This game has not had to merge servers and even has queues on most servers? It didn't have to switch to a "megaserver" like some of the other MMOs.

I also want to add that it is an impressive number of registered accounts considering they stated it was NOT free trial, beta, or 1.0 accounts being counted.

So that means over all this game sold 4.5 million copies and god only knows how many were CE's. Maybe sub numbers arent important to Japanese companies.

In my eyes, thats more successful than what anybody in these forums could do. Me included.

I congratulate FF XIV: ARR !!

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Ooh I would put WOW as number 5 it's pretty much the opposite of ff in terms of investment, but that's a different story. Ff should go from strength to strength if it keeps on going this way (don't okay it myself, eso takes all my time but I can respect the direction the game is going)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    I like most things about the game, except one - the fact that your progression is gated by those instance runs. Don't get me wrong, I love playing with others, but I totally dislike having to wait for an hour in the instance finder for the chance of a successful run. The queue is shorter for a tank or healer, and I usually like healing in MMO's, but there are only two options in ARR and neither "feels right" for me.

Why would you say not in population? Maybe SWTOR has more? This game has not had to merge servers and even has queues on most servers? It did have to switch to a "megaserver" like some of the other MMOs.

Each server can hold tons of peeps dude. If you want I can make a video of the Gold Saucer and everybody in it. My roomie plays SWTOR and he even says that we more people in the Gold Saucer than the fleet on Jedi Covenant.

Just sayin'.

Originally posted by simmihi
    I like most things about the game, except one - the fact that your progression is gated by those instance runs. Don't get me wrong, I love playing with others, but I totally dislike having to wait for an hour in the instance finder for the chance of a successful run. The queue is shorter for a tank or healer, and I usually like healing in MMO's, but there are only two options in ARR and neither "feels right" for me.

But how can that deterr you? You only have 3 and then after that there so few and far between it's rediculus. 

As far as healers.......I dont play magic casters so ....yeah.....lol

As far as the DF. Right now in game, I can queue as my DRG : http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/7984895/

and the queue is pretty low. Most I wait is 15 minutes. Since people are doing books to catch up for Heavensward, most lowbie dungeons are being run quick. Also we like to get the bonuses from new players so we can buy maps and shit lol.

Ooh I would put WOW as number 5 it's pretty much the opposite of ff in terms of investment, but that's a different story. Ff should go from strength to strength if it keeps on going this way (don't okay it myself, eso takes all my time but I can respect the direction the game is going)

This ^^^

+1

Why cant more people here be like you ? Why do people always have to be so negative all the time?

Originally posted by Mandodo69

But how can that deterr you? You only have 3 and then after that there so few and far between it's rediculus. 

As far as the DF. Right now in game, I can queue as my DRG : http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/7984895/

and the queue is pretty low. Most I wait is 15 minutes. Since people are doing books to catch up for Heavensward, most lowbie dungeons are being run quick. Also we like to get the bonuses from new players so we can buy maps and shit lol.

Well, my experience is not the same as yours, unfortunately. I usually have to wait a little under 1h for a run. And I just don't like the idea of forcing players to use a Dungeon Finder / PUG system and locking story progression behind such a system. I don't know what you mean by "only 3", but I could not progress my main story quest until I did dungeon after dungeon after dungeon, using dungeon finder.

Why would you say not in population? Maybe SWTOR has more? This game has not had to merge servers and even has queues on most servers? It did have to switch to a "megaserver" like some of the other MMOs.

Each server can hold tons of peeps dude. If you want I can make a video of the Gold Saucer and everybody in it. My roomie plays SWTOR and he even says that we more people in the Gold Saucer than the fleet on Jedi Covenant.

Just sayin'.

I agree with you. I play and it is always full. It is a great game for me and my wife.

There is a new healer class, the Astrologian, coming in the new expansion. Hopefully you will find that class more to your liking. 

Well, my experience is not the same as yours, unfortunately. I usually have to wait a little under 1h for a run. And I just don't like the idea of forcing players to use a Dungeon Finder / PUG system and locking story progression behind such a system. I don't know what you mean by "only 3", but I could not progress my main story quest until I did dungeon after dungeon after dungeon, using dungeon finder.

Were you trying to solo ? Are you, or were you, part of an active FC ? As a healer the wait is about anywhere from 2 seconds to 5 minutes tops. 

Also, how long ago were you playing ? It does not matter what server your on, if we need the same dungeon done the DF will pull peeps from all servers together to make a party lol. 

Speaking of party, anything I need done in the game and I don't want to PUG or queue, I post up in the Party Finder.

EASY !! 

You were looking for a Flow but couldent find it. I bet if you try again now, it'll be way different. I can guarantee. Come to Cactuar and join our FC. You'll never need for a group for anything ever again.

Just sayin'.

I agree with you. I play and it is always full. It is a great game for me and my wife.

Have you guy's done the Eternal Bonding yet ? What server are you guy's on bro ?

Just sayin'.

Have you guy's done the Eternal Bonding yet ? What server are you guy's on bro ?

We are on Gilgamesh, and we haven't yet. We do plan to though. We really enjoys the game. The clothing design has my wife enthralled. She always plays a healer in MMO's. The slightly slower combat is also a plus in her mind. 

Were you trying to solo ? Are you, or were you, part of an active FC ? As a healer the wait is about anywhere from 2 seconds to 5 minutes tops. 

Also, how long ago were you playing ? It does not matter what server your on, if we need the same dungeon done the DF will pull peeps from all servers together to make a party lol. 

Speaking of party, anything I need done in the game and I don't want to PUG or queue, I post up in the Party Finder.

EASY !! 

You were looking for a Flow but couldent find it. I bet if you try again now, it'll be way different. I can guarantee. Come to Cactuar and join our FC. You'll never need for a group for anything ever again.

Well, I still play, came back recently, but I play on the EU servers... started a new character a week ago and those were my queue times both this week and back when I've played. True, things were significantly quicker on my healer :)
  • Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    I played it for a while, but it just gets boring at the end with all the focus going to nothing but farming gear for better stats repetitously.   Unfortunately, anyone who has burned out on World of Warcraft is going to pick up FFXIV ARR, play it to end game, and just stop playing after they realize it's the same end game they just got away from.  Otherwise, it does have a lot of fun seasonal events and the community isn't too bad.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Originally posted by Colt47
    I played it for a while, but it just gets boring at the end with all the focus going to nothing but farming gear for better stats repetitously.   Unfortunately, anyone who has burned out on World of Warcraft is going to pick up FFXIV ARR, play it to end game, and just stop playing after they realize it's the same end game they just got away from.  Otherwise, it does have a lot of fun seasonal events and the community isn't too bad.

This.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Kajidourden

This.

Eh, I'll disagree here.

My biggest issue with WoW was outside of raid nights, i had jack to do.  Nothing of interest.

This game solved that issue, lots of stuff that I can do outside of raid night especially now with my sweet love triple triad. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

You are aware that I don't raid. I do NOT do coils. And if your grinding for end game gear in this game, you're doing something wrong.

Way wrong. I got my gear in under 2 weeks. Casually playing. Hello, Chocobo Racing and Triple Triad. I think we have more than just "Raiding and grinding for end game gear". I'm still doing Hildabrand and leveling characters for the stories. Beasttribes, GS, Hildabrand, Animus, etc. 

So much to do.

I bet you were one of those guy's who power levels to 50 and skips everything.