Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FF14 : ARR, is for real and not looking back! Watch out WoW !

With patch 2.51 out just a few hours ago, SE is bringing FF14 : ARR to a whole new level of playability never before seen in a MMORPG.   The main feature of patch 2.51 is the Golden Saucer, a kind of attraction where you can now train a chocobo to race with 7 other players  AKA Mario Kart!!     And with the expansion coming out in a few months adding 3 new classes, including the DARK KNIGHT! ,  FF14 : ARR is moving full speed at being crowned the top MMO.  With tons of new players pouring in every week, it just shows that if you want a quality MMORPG, and I've been saying this for years, you've got to P2P, and FF14 : ARR is the perfect example!!   Well, my patch download finished a minute, so off to try out this new chocobo racing system!!  Enjoy your day y'all!  

Comments

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Thx for the update.  I gave my guild to a newb and left when Ultimate Game Card shut down.  Ultimate Game Card was how I paid for subscription games.  In the USA Square Enix has no game card.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Had you left out the comment on WoW... you would of had more credibility.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    I don't get it, I thought gaming sites said P2P was dead....yet FFXIV is doing fine and people are jumping F2P like Arecheage faster than rats from a sinking ship.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by Pepeq
    Had you left out the comment on WoW... you would of had more credibility.

Yeah that.

No one is denying that ff14 is progressing nicely but fanboy threads like this just hurt its reputation.

Harbinger of Fools
  • Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Member UncommonPosts: 233
    Originally posted by Kiyoris
    I don't get it, I thought gaming sites said P2P was dead....yet FFXIV is doing fine and people are jumping F2P like Arecheage faster than rats from a sinking ship.

Any game that has inbred mechanics that are designed to get you to use the cash shop is epic fail for me. I know people like AA but I don't like a game that tells me I can only craft so much a day. And no matter how good of skill I have, I could lose my crafted item during upgrading due to a RNG. Screw you AA! P2P FTW!

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999

• BascolaBascola Member UncommonPosts: 425

$15 for 1 day of content per week. Restricted on purpose by SE.I am not an idiot, they get no money from me for that shit. 

Unless there are some drastic changes to the core game  i don't see a bright future.

• Grind old dungeons or hunts for TokenXYZ but only 400 then you are done for the week unless you do your single coil run too.
    • Every couple months SE comes up with a new TokenXYZ and a single new set per class with +3 stats and you start the grind all over again.
    • Golden Saucer is cute but will get old really quick.

_____

Best part: A new player that has not played for a year comes back to the game and starts grinding same tokens of the Month instantly being at the same level as veterans getting the same gear while others paid for 1 year subscriptions. 

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Let's see...

Deep crafting and gathering systems
    Fun fishing
    Guild and personal housing
    Personal vendors and their missions
    Moogle delivery
    Chocobo training, racing, breeding
    In game CCG
    Golden saucer mini games
    Gardening
    GC supply and provision dailies
    Vista achieves
    Marriage ceremonies
    Seasonal events
    Robust player driven economy

Combat? What's combat? Who has time for that.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by LeGrosGamerV2
     With patch 2.51 out just a few hours ago, SE is bringing FF14 : ARR to a whole new level of playability never before seen in a MMORPG.   The main feature of patch 2.51 is the Golden Saucer, a kind of attraction where you can now train a chocobo to race with 7 other players  AKA Mario Kart!!     And with the expansion coming out in a few months adding 3 new classes, including the DARK KNIGHT! ,  FF14 : ARR is moving full speed at being crowned the top MMO.  With tons of new players pouring in every week, it just shows that if you want a quality MMORPG, and I've been saying this for years, you've got to P2P, and FF14 : ARR is the perfect example!!   Well, my patch download finished a minute, so off to try out this new chocobo racing system!!  Enjoy your day y'all!  

uh, you mean the game that won't even let me create a bloody account?

yep, that gave me trust in the game itself :P totaly

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    FF14 have long way to catch up to wow, is maybe 2nd or 3nd top sub mmo eve may have more. there both not going hit 1 mil. if didn't hit it be for there not going hit it now. Not saying is fail mmo, just never be as big as a monster like wow.
  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Which is further proof that it's the game that matters, not the monetizing of it (unless the monetizing actually hurts the game).

FFXIV is doing good, Wildstar is not (at least as of last time I heard about it), both are P2P, GW2 is doing good so far with no sub, archeage seems to not be going as good (again, from what I heard).

I won't deny that the monetization has a big influence that could help or hinder a game, but in the end, if the game is good, people will come, whether it's F2P, freemiun, B2P, P2P or anything in between.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

Originally posted by L0C0Man

Which is further proof that it's the game that matters, not the monetizing of it (unless the monetizing actually hurts the game).

FFXIV is doing good, Wildstar is not (at least as of last time I heard about it), both are P2P, GW2 is doing good so far with no sub, archeage seems to not be going as good (again, from what I heard).

I won't deny that the monetization has a big influence that could help or hinder a game, but in the end, if the game is good, people will come, whether it's F2P, freemiun, B2P, P2P or anything in between.

Arche age doing fine, the problem they open to many server when people complain to open more when the rats leave a mmo after something they don't like in the game, is was not for everyone, Arche Age was that type of game never hold out ever was P2P people mass leave after a game comes out, why I knew this be for it came out just how the game was build was not ment to hand over people make it easy for them, was all about power, if people can't get there, they leave where they have more power.

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030

Ff14 has very low player numbers, wow has no threats on the market and least of all ffxiv.  Ffxiv isnt even in the same league.

Its great you enjoy it but dont confuse personal bias with it actually being something anywhere near wow, you just look silly.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Admittedly I was already planning on finally giving this game a try after seeing a streamer last week.  Combat looked surprisingly well-executed, and the boss he fought looked like a ton of fun even from a healer's perspective.

Still unsure about the depth of the rotations since as a healer he mostly seemed to be keeping medium-duration buffs up on people and casing maybe 2 forms of Cure (presumably one was for efficient sustain and the other for HPS?), and then I guess I saw regen occasionally but that seemed to be it.  Interesting bosses go a certain distance, but if the rotations were really shallow that might cut things short for me.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

the game seems decent enough although I'm not a FF fan. I hated the combat when I tried though. The 2.5 second global cooldown was a killer. Not sure if that has changed as I haven't played in a long time.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal
     In the USA Square Enix has no game card.

gamecards for usa exist

http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XIV-Reborn-Playstation-3/dp/B00GOOSORM

Announcing Digital 60-Day Game Time Cards! (09/16/2014)

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/a93278cb30ea750d04dac73b7bfcaf0e6ec79ac6

Originally posted by Axehilt
    Admittedly I was already planning on finally giving this game a try after seeing a streamer last week.  Combat looked surprisingly well-executed, and the boss he fought looked like a ton of fun even from a healer's perspective.

Still unsure about the depth of the rotations since as a healer he mostly seemed to be keeping medium-duration buffs up on people and casing maybe 2 forms of Cure (presumably one was for efficient sustain and the other for HPS?), and then I guess I saw regen occasionally but that seemed to be it.  Interesting bosses go a certain distance, but if the rotations were really shallow that might cut things short for me.

I haven't found a combat class that I enjoy yet. I'll eventually get around to trying them all. But honestly there are so many non combat activities to do in this game, I don't miss it.
    And for the record Kiyoris, this game isn't pure p2p. It has a cash shop also.
  • SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by DJJazzy

the game seems decent enough although I'm not a FF fan. I hated the combat when I tried though. The 2.5 second global cooldown was a killer. Not sure if that has changed as I haven't played in a long time.

Same, I found the combat too slow. I wasn't a fan of the Asian styling either, for me it seemed too childish and not gritty enough. But I have the same issues with Aion and AA styling.

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    Originally posted by L0C0Man

That is how it works.

P2P is not dying because of the cash model. It is because we had a ton of subpar games trying to charge people to play them where there is a better p2p choice that is simliar and too many people photocopying WoW when WoW was still a newer game.

When 19/20 mmos were WoW clones, with 1/5th the content and polish of WoW and were trying to charge a monthly fee... what did people think would happen. Like asking someone what would you want a honda civic or a Porche for the same price.

The golden rule is people will pay if it is a good game and it stacks up against the competition. Just look at most the mmos that tried p2p and went f2p they all had nearly 1mill + people buy the box and initially subed. Those people did not stop playing because of the model they stoped because the game was not worth the sub. Either the game were lacking content, it was bug ridden, or it offered nothing better then what they were playing before.

P2P is not dead.... but people actually making good mmorpgs seems to be dying.

Honestly f2p can kill a good game... Look at AA. It went from a game with a real solid foundation in Alpha to a pure cash grab now where the game is being developed with a cash shop in mind. At least Trion lessened the extent of the p2w.. game is even more of a cash grab in Korea.

XIV is doing ok in P2P model for 4 reasons.

1) It is a final fantasy. Large fanbase following

2) It is extremely polished, devs are doing great with this

3) WoW is getting older now

4) There is simply nothing else new out there that is a traditional mmo that beats this currently, alot of people playing will say this game is subpar compaired to mmos of old but nothing else is better out there.

Personally I feel XIV needs to get out of photocopy WoW mode in the next expansion and start branching out now that they rescued the game from the brink of death. Stuff like the Golden Saucer is a good start but they need to add unique stuff that involves primary character progression as well and not just side/vanity activities.

XIV will never beat WoW though, unless they recreate the genre like WoW did. You cannot out WoW WoW using their own model. No one will ever be able to do that.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

WoW has already been beat by FFXIV by a wide margin. That doesn't mean the WoW sheep won't stop flocking to that game though.

But that's their loss, not FFXIV's.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    FFARR, 11 million subs by next month confirmed by OP. How is the thread title not troll baiting?

Originally posted by Rusque
    FFARR, 11 million subs by next month confirmed by OP. How is the thread title not troll baiting?
    Because it has to be somewhat believable?
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by scorpex-x

Ff14 has very low player numbers, wow has no threats on the market and least of all ffxiv.  Ffxiv isnt even in the same league.

Its great you enjoy it but dont confuse personal bias with it actually being something anywhere near wow, you just look silly.

While FFXIV;ARR might have nowhere near WoW's numbers, they are far from being 'low' unless of course you think over a million is 'low' in which case you might be both weird and right image

Do agree though that the WoW comparisons do make them look a bit silly, no matter how good FFXIV;ARR is, i don't think we'll ever be seeing over 5 million, i am not even sure the game will even hit 2 million anytime soon, if ever. Not that any game having over 1 million players should be considered as being anything other than a success imo image

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289
    Dumbass statements like the OP are why we can't have nice things. 
    What are the real number of FF14 anyone know? if they have 5K player per server on average, there hanging on 300 to 400K players maybe 500K on 64 server.
  • FujieFujie Member UncommonPosts: 13

I played from launch until a month after pvp was introduced, which i found horrible, but FFXIV wasn't meant to be great for its pvp.

I see people talk of how deep crafting is but i was maxed in all within a couple months and found it rather boring.  Most people i knew just set up macros and crafted with one button like most other games.

Gathering is horrible, all you do is go to the zone, run small circles over and over until you have the amount of mats you want (personal nodes are not for me)

Housing doesn't interest me at all

The raiding wasn't bad.  Had some fun in there.  And the story lines are decent enough.

So has much really changed in the past year since i last played that would interest me?  Honest question.