Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout: 3 GOTY v New Vegas

d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

I just noticed I had both on Steam, but haven't played either, yet. I think this is going to be good. Which one do you like better and why? Which one would you start with?

Comments

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

I also have both on steam. but I can't get either to work. good luck. it's a lesson in patience and frustration.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Want city or Desert landscape? New vegas has a better story, but both are kinda good. Game-play goes a bit to new vegas, more options, kinda like KOTOR 1 vs 2, the old black isle (obsidian) guys are just good at deeper systems.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    I'm partial to New Vegas. I just played through it again last month, along with Skyrim. I haven't even had Fallout 3 on a machine in at least 4 years.
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Want city or Desert landscape?

Kinda like this ^

FO3 starts in the open but eventually has you in mostly large ruined DC area of the U.S., has a lot more underground areas, and a lot more locations to check out.

NV is a lot more open and desert like but with (IMO) more side stuff to draw you in, but seemed shorter (I didn't have the DLCs though).  The weapons have a more western feel and can be upgraded. Factions seem to mean more also.

If it were me...I'd do FO3 then NV though. Good transition from one to the other.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683
    I have both and played both, I made the mistake of playing NV first and that lessened F3 for me. F3 is older, lesser graphics and some minor things that fall a bit short of NV imo. But both are great. I though, doing it over, would play F3 first, then NV

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by d_20
    I just noticed I had both on Steam, but haven't played either, yet. I think this is going to be good. Which one do you like better and why? Which one would you start with?  

New vegas hands down.

+much less linear.
    +Hardcore mode (if that's your thing).
    +Various factions and endings.
    +Less confined than f03 in terms of adventure space.
    +Muggy.
    +Melee viable.
    +Better story.
    +Rememberable characters.
    +Mature content.
    +Choices affect story.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I just got these both last December! I played Fallout:3 first. I am now done with my first playthrough of Fallout: New Vegas.

The differences:
    - Fallout 3 takes place around Washington, DC and has a lot of ruined city landscapes and subway terminals/tunnels.
    - Fallout: New Vegas takes place in Nevada, near Las Vegas (surprise!), in the Mojave Desert. It is mostly outdoors.

- Fallout 3 has a better story (my opinion) and the game continues after you finish the main quest.
    - Fallout: New Vegas ENDS after you finish the main quest.

- Fallout: New Vegas has a more "involved" crafting system, differing ammo usage (like Armor Piercing, Hollow Point and such), and brought in "cooking."
    - Fallout 3 is simpler in these aspects, which I enjoyed more.

I prefer Fallout 3, in case you did not catch that :)

I would also recommend the "Unofficial Patch" Mods and ENB if your PC can take it, and not playing on a console.

Play whichever you want first. They are not "connected" in any way. I think you'll enjoy them both. I certainly did :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• TaneonTaneon Member UncommonPosts: 53

Honestly, they are both good games and can reel you in nicely. Ofcourse neither is as deep as Fallout 1 or 2, but they dont fall that short, so very enjoyable.

I would recomend playing both and starting with FO3. Its a bit more restrictive and linear gameplay, main story is a bit longer but overall shorter game due to the fact that you dont have as much sidequests and such. Then go to FO:NW, more openended, main story is quite often on the side tracks when your exploring all the different cities.

But i would recomend moding them both at this time, they have awesome mods out there.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Thanks for the input, guys!

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I played both and greatly enjoyed them.

If it were me I would play FO3 and then NV. Both are great games and well worth your time. If I remember correctly in FO3 once you finish the main quest the game ends unless you have the DLC ~Broken steel~. Which also raises the level cap to 30.

Oh and without giving too much away if you want to try something fun then choose the option to Nuke megaton city in the beginning of FO3.  Changes the game up some lol.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

New Vegas for me, it has the old fallout feeling into it. 

On the other note, if you are a fan of the old fallout, you might wanna try Wasteland 2 instead.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

I´d get them both

New vegas do have a more conclusive ending... The end of Fallout 3 is kind of abrupt.

But both feel properly epic and are fun games.

But i´d say start with FO3 just because =)

This have been a good conversation

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    It's like a book series! Always start with the first one first and you can't go wrong. I say play FO3 and then New Vegas. You in a hurry?

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.