Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most Hyped Lobby PvP game ever?

Comments

• vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593

Both game have great names behind and legion fan

Mark Jacob from daoc / warhammer

And guy from shadowbane 

In both case i hope both game become sucessefull

i tired so many shit in market 

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

Originally posted by BadSpock
    Not defending anything here, but I really don't think you can seriously count this as a lobby PvP game.

your homeworld is the lobby. then you click a button and magically appear in a battle arena. how is it not a lobby game?

• theo5theo5 Member UncommonPosts: 21
    I guess crowfall is the future.  I expect EQNext to look something like this on release.
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by muffins89

Not defending anything here, but I really don't think you can seriously count this as a lobby PvP game.

your homeworld is the lobby. then you click a button and magically appear in a battle arena. how is it not a lobby game?

My question is why is that a bad thing? Pretty sure I love me some "lobby" games for a long time.

MOBA, FPS, RTS, CCG, ARPG, and decent chunk of PVP within MMORPGs are click a button and magically jump into a fight.

However, they are taking the two elements and making something new. For me it is a win/win. I don't need a static world with millions of quests, npcs, mobs, etc. I want the meat and potatoes, not the garden salad.

EK and being able to choose where to play still allows for friends/enemies and all that, just twisted a bit.

Removes the eventual top end getting bored of always win and low end losing. Which has been a major if not the major issue for these games for so long.

When they can potentially make a campaign any length (have said 6 months - year if needed) I don't really see the problem. These won't be 5 min matches or anything resembling the typical "lobby" experience. 1-3 Months seems like plenty to get it, do some damaged (or get wrecked) and move on. Keeps it fresh and challenging.

Love how carebear, casual, lobby, themepark etc are all used as evil buzzwords and some how mean bad. Sorry, some people like different things and our personal preference doesn't make anything better/worse. Don't like it? Don't play it. Welcome to gaming and having the ability to click whatever button to magically pop into whatever experience wanted.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Allein

Originally posted by muffins89 Originally posted by BadSpock

My question is why is that a bad thing? Pretty sure I love me some "lobby" games for a long time.

MOBA, FPS, RTS, CCG, ARPG, and decent chunk of PVP within MMORPGs are click a button and magically jump into a fight.

However, they are taking the two elements and making something new. For me it is a win/win. I don't need a static world with millions of quests, npcs, mobs, etc. I want the meat and potatoes, not the garden salad.

EK and being able to choose where to play still allows for friends/enemies and all that, just twisted a bit.

Removes the eventual top end getting bored of always win and low end losing. Which has been a major if not the major issue for these games for so long.

When they can potentially make a campaign any length (have said 6 months - year if needed) I don't really see the problem. These won't be 5 min matches or anything resembling the typical "lobby" experience. 1-3 Months seems like plenty to get it, do some damaged (or get wrecked) and move on. Keeps it fresh and challenging.

Love how carebear, casual, lobby, themepark etc are all used as evil buzzwords and some how mean bad. Sorry, some people like different things and our personal preference doesn't make anything better/worse. Don't like it? Don't play it. Welcome to gaming and having the ability to click whatever button to magically pop into whatever experience wanted.

Lol fact is it is a lobby game similar to black Wolf (look that game up) also I'm pretty sure you were saying the same about EQN. How quickly the journey mmo followers move on to the next new promise. Don't you think you should rain in your hype levels until we actually see this all working.

Originally posted by Allein
    Originally posted by muffins89 Originally posted by BadSpock Not defending anything here, but I really don't think you can seriously count this as a lobby PvP game.

I was explaining it to him. I didn't say it was good or bad. read your last paragraph. you took "Lobby" to mean bad. while explaining to me why it was wrong for me to do so. even though you just assumed I did.

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566

It's amazing how people read something they don't like and respond by inferring all sorts of sentiment in it.  Lots of people have agreed that it's a glorified lobby game, most of them don't say a single negative word about that fact.  Somehow people feel the need to respond with 4 paragraph flaming posts.

Personally, I agree that it definitely resembles a lobby game like the MOBA genre/subgenre, albeit with a virtual world as a lobby and much, much longer matches.  Sounds like an interesting combo to me that I'd like to see in action.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

They are essentially zones, one main hub zone (EK) complimented by what seem to procedural PVP zones that pop up with a new campaign, A lobby is not a playable world zone, a lobby is a static screen that you wait in until a match starts. Hence the problem with those saying  calling it a lobby is not a negative condemnation... it very much is as it doesn't really describe what is actually being implemented here.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

It depends if they allow people to freely switch between different campaigns or if they are harsh penalties for it. If is the latter its nothing like a lobby game.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.

Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by muffins89   Originally posted by BadSpock Not defending anything here, but I really don't think you can seriously count this as a lobby PvP game.
    They are essentially zones, one main hub zone (EK) complimented by what seem to procedural PVP zones that pop up with a new campaign, A lobby is not a playable world zone, a lobby is a static screen that you wait in until a match starts. Hence the problem with those saying  calling it a lobby is not a negative condemnation... it very much is as it doesn't really describe what is actually being implemented here.

semantics. it's a lobby you can walk around in. it's like orgrimmar. you go about your business while in que for the next battle ground.

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566

Originally posted by BadSpock Not defending anything here, but I really don't think you can seriously count this as a lobby PvP game.

semantics. it's a lobby you can walk around in. it's like orgrimmar. you go about your business while in que for the next battle ground.

You were right in the first place.  Your use of the word lobby is far closer to the actual meaning than "a static screen that you wait in".  A virtual world used as an entrance/waiting area into the rest of the world(s) is, in every sense of the word, a lobby.

From the Merriam-Webster dictionary:

:  a corridor or hall connected with a larger room or series of rooms and used as a passageway or waiting room: as

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Lol fact is it is a lobby game similar to black Wolf (look that game up) also I'm pretty sure you were saying the same about EQN. How quickly the journey mmo followers move on to the next new promise. Don't you think you should rain in your hype levels until we actually see this all working.

Don't believe my hype levels are off the charts, I must of really hit a nerve with you at some point... actually going to have to check my post history to see as I'm confused at the anger.

I was explaining it to him. I didn't say it was good or bad. read your last paragraph. you took "Lobby" to mean bad. while explaining to me why it was wrong for me to do so. even though you just assumed I did.

Sorry, didn't mean to direct all of that at you, more directed at the thread and conversation itself. But my question still stands. Seems like some want everyone to realize it is a lobby game, but not sure to what end. Okay it is a lobby game, and? Doesn't detract from it at all. Last time I checked, "lobby" games are the most popular by far and highly enjoyable. If anything, I praise them for removing the useless static content that is pretty much a huge speedbump so people can get to the "lobby" in most mmorpgs, be it PVE dungeons, RVR zones, PVP arenas/battlegrounds, etc. Surprised more companies are going this route.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Dagon13
    It's amazing how people read something they don't like and respond by inferring all sorts of sentiment in it.  Lots of people have agreed that it's a glorified lobby game, most of them don't say a single negative word about that fact.  Somehow people feel the need to respond with 4 paragraph flaming posts.Personally, I agree that it definitely resembles a lobby game like the MOBA genre/subgenre, albeit with a virtual world as a lobby and much, much longer matches.  Sounds like an interesting combo to me that I'd like to see in action.

^ Sensible post award

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by BadSpock Not defending anything here, but I really don't think you can seriously count this as a lobby PvP game.

You were right in the first place.  Your use of the word lobby is far closer to the actual meaning than "a static screen that you wait in".  A virtual world used as an entrance/waiting area into the rest of the world(s) is, in every sense of the word, a lobby.

From the Merriam-Webster dictionary:

:  a corridor or hall connected with a larger room or series of rooms and used as a passageway or waiting room: as

We are talking game terms here, which are not covered in official literal definitions SMH.. IF we want to get literal about terms this is what it would mean.

Battlefield and call of duty are lobby based online games, as is something like War of the Roses, there's no hub world to speak of...hence why people started using the term for WOW in the first place. As people stopped using the world and did nothing but sit in one spot and queue for dungeon runs and/or PVP matches. IF that's all people end up using it for then yea players turned it into a lobby game (well aside from the fact that a campaign, is not some one off event to queue for), but if people are using the EK as it's meant to be- it's own separate experience, then not so much, IE little to compare in the literal sense of the gaming term.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

We are talking game terms here, which are not covered in official literal definitions SMH.. IF we want to get literal about terms this is what it would mean.

Battlefield and call of duty are lobby based online games, as is something like War of the Roses, there's no hub world to speak of...hence why people started using the term for WOW in the first place. As people stopped using the world and did nothing but sit in one spot and queue for dungeon runs and/or PVP matches. IF that's all people end up using it for then yea players turned it into a lobby game (well aside from the fact that a campaign, is not some one off event to queue for), but if people are using the EK as it's meant to be- it's own separate experience, then not so much, IE little to compare in the literal sense of the gaming term.

People are being obtuse, some of them on purpose.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • will75will75 Member UncommonPosts: 365
    The word "Lobby game" is considered offensive to most of the people who are very much supporters unconditionally of Crowfall. Why? Because a world that resets itself, like a battleground in WoW, A world you can freely switch between, let's say you're getting owned in the "dregs" hilarious that it's so close the word "dreds" isn't it? Anyway, you shouldn't be able to join another "campaign" by simply going back to your "EK"  .Now maybe they won't allow that, we'll see. In fact, i know they can't.People would level up in the carebear world and then go on the dregs. So essentially they are "servers" that reset , the videos say 1,2, and 3 months. I've never read longer than that. In my opinion a server that resets at 1,2,3 month intervals is essentially guild wars 2's "pvp" style, and we know how well that turned out.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I had not realised that is how one plays it. So not a persistent world then that explains why no PvE but I think this might be the best thing for PvP . Sounds like a PvPer wet dream ,no, this time of interaction.  I think it will be a big hit. I am glad they are expanding the MOBA options.

Originally posted by will75
    The word "Lobby game" is considered offensive to most of the people who are very much supporters unconditionally of Crowfall. Why? Because a world that resets itself, like a battleground in WoW, A world you can freely switch between, let's say you're getting owned in the "dregs" hilarious that it's so close the word "dreds" isn't it? Anyway, you shouldn't be able to join another "campaign" by simply going back to your "EK"  .Now maybe they won't allow that, we'll see. In fact, i know they can't.People would level up in the carebear world and then go on the dregs. So essentially they are "servers" that reset , the videos say 1,2, and 3 months. I've never read longer than that. In my opinion a server that resets at 1,2,3 month intervals is essentially guild wars 2's "pvp" style, and we know how well that turned out.

It seems to be offensive because that is how it is being used. If I used "Smart" in a snarky way and said "You sound so SMART..." it would probably be offensive as well. Just like Carebear and casual, there is absolutely nothing wrong with not having 40+ hours a week to play video games or have a preference to stab other gamers in the face, yet they are treated as the scum of the genre. But that's just my take on it.

Lobby games as a whole are great and the most popular for good reason. Trying to incorporate them into a genre that typically doesn't excel with static worlds seems like a smart move. Could be terrible, but I'm doubting it.

I personally enjoyed vanilla BGs in WoW, would spend most of day in one AV back then. Wouldn't mind doing that for a couple months and then actually have something to show for it (virtual rewards that is).

Probably can do a search, but they have mentioned 6 months to a year I believe for campaign length. But I've seen "as long as it takes" multiple times and that they are willing to try anything that doesn't require redesigning the game from scratch. Changing the length of seasons from a month to 3 months doesn't seem extremely difficult if players demand it.

GW2 is GW2. So silly that every game was compared to WoW and now GW2 takes that glorious spot. Unless two games share every core feature, there is no comparison. Can't cherry pick a feature and go "X didn't work with ABC, so it won't work with QRS." Superficially games share somethings, but each stands alone.

It's like saying CU won't do well because DAoC/WAR didn't do well (all subjective of course). But then I'm sure it is "But CU is doing 123 differently..." This is poor logic and I see it all over the place.

I didn't find much wrong with sPVP or WvWvW in GW2, it was terrible PVE, terrible economy, lack of roles, self-contained solo classes, zerg encouraging mechanics, etc. Mix all that together and ya the PVP mechanics start to look crappy, but why wouldn't they when stacked on top are one thing after another that work against it. Again, just my experience though.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf
    lobby pvp game? sure why not, as long as its something different than the typical wow clone that i have seen over and over for the last 10 years.

As opposed to the countless MOBA and PvP centric MMO's over the years.

When are studios going to get it!  We want a PvE SANDBOX FFS!

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• xion12121xion12121 Member UncommonPosts: 199
    Well out of all the kickstarter projects with 0 video footage, I'm gonna go with Crowfall. Game in pre-alpha already has fluid combat gameplay and videos. Just check out the pre-alpha footage of the game. If that's what pre-alpha footage looks like combat and graphic wise then i can't wait until its fully polished.  

I would give you a guest pass to SWOTR, but then I wouldn't be able to find a way to live with myself afterwards....

Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf
    lobby pvp game? sure why not, as long as its something different than the typical wow clone that i have seen over and over for the last 10 years.

As opposed to the countless MOBA and PvP centric MMO's over the years.

When are studios going to get it!  We want a PvE SANDBOX FFS!

Seems Voxels are their answer. Oort, Cubeworld, Trove, Minecraft, Landmark, I'm sure there are others. EQN could be the answer, but...

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Lobby game in which you join a campaign for 1-3 months and then visit the lobby and join another 1-3 month campaign.

*head explodes*

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977

It turned out to be most successfull RvR to date.

Now, ESO had 3 months campaigns, maybe they wanted even longer.

Go to ESO now and check it out. And on top of that AvA is way less popular than WWW.

MOBAs, shooters, any games dont have never ending matches.

And funny about "carebear world", that has been mantra in EvE for so so long. Guess how EvE is doing.

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631

I'm not a supporter of Crowfall, but if there is one world that resets itself constantly, it is the world of WoW.

- Kill "ogre captain", resets 2 minutes later

- Followed by wolf, resets to its "roaming spot" after 10s chasing you

- Kill NPC, resets 2 minutes later

- Complete dungeon, press button to reset it

Did you really think WoW world did not reset itself? The only difference is: in WoW, every action resets itself at a micro level. In Crowfall, your actions are impactful, but the world resets itself now and then at a macro level.

True persistence doesn't really exist in MMORPGs. In fact, as I understand, Crowfall wants to introduce this "world" persistence (that I will repeat WoW does not have!) by allowing people to have a lasting impact on the temporary game world.

Arguably, each "lobby" as you want to call them is more persistent than the entire WoW game is (except for a few events such as AhnQiraj).