Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stil mad, Neva Forget

124

Comments

  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 13,994
    I personally did not like this game at all.
    Neither did I. I tried it just because a couple of people in my guild were raving about it. I went right back to DAoC after a very short look.
    Torval
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

    "... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
  • jeddakusjeddakus Member CommonPosts: 8
    I liked it and had a dozen friends to loved it but my pc at the time couldn't handle the lag. But I miss it at times. The profession set up and combat play always annoyed me a bit but I didn't play enough to really get into it. The thing I loved though was that there were jedi and although they were rare and hard to become it really meant something if you saw a jedi pass by. I've never seen that in today's world of "everyone" can be the best if they just level up.
  • Maximus_LacyMaximus_Lacy Member UncommonPosts: 27
    jeddakus said:
    I liked it and had a dozen friends to loved it but my pc at the time couldn't handle the lag. But I miss it at times. The profession set up and combat play always annoyed me a bit but I didn't play enough to really get into it. The thing I loved though was that there were jedi and although they were rare and hard to become it really meant something if you saw a jedi pass by. I've never seen that in today's world of "everyone" can be the best if they just level up.
    I think what truly made it great during that time was that though Jedi were rare and took immense grinding JUST to become force sensitive, there were still Bounty Hunters in the Galaxy that could beat them in a 1-on-1 battle.  And there were multiple ways to kill a Jedi, from Teras Kasi to Rifleman or Pistoleer, or even 1h Stun Batons, there was no one way to dominate the Galaxy.  
    "The end and object of conquest is to avoid doing the same thing as the conquered." - Alexander III of Macedon
  • TierlessTierless ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,377
    This time of year this thread always gets some love. Why? "Released June 26, 2003" and we still can't forget her. She was truly once in a lifetime. 
    But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers, knowing no other path.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,367
    I didn't get to try it until well after NGE so I have no idea what it was like in its heyday.
  • TierlessTierless ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,377
    I didn't get to try it until well after NGE so I have no idea what it was like in its heyday.
    It felt lawless like EVE but looked nicer than any game at the time (and many now somehow). It was unpredictable, chaotic and dramatic while somehow being peaceful, creative and wonderful. It felt like an escape to another world that you never wanted to leave. It was living Star Wars. 
    But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers, knowing no other path.
  • itsoveritsover Member UncommonPosts: 353
    TimEisen said:
    I didn't get to try it until well after NGE so I have no idea what it was like in its heyday.
    It felt lawless like EVE but looked nicer than any game at the time (and many now somehow). It was unpredictable, chaotic and dramatic while somehow being peaceful, creative and wonderful. It felt like an escape to another world that you never wanted to leave. It was living Star Wars. 


    that sound like no game right now closer to it.
    Tierless

    image
  • MisterZebubMisterZebub Member LegendaryPosts: 3,598
    Remember remember the 15th of November, the NGE treason and plot. I know of no reason why the NGE treason should ever be forgot.
    Tierlesslaserit
    I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Mayer Wiener." You live up top, you live Cocteau's way: what he wants, when he wants, how he wants. Your other choice: come down here... and maybe starve to death.


  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,012
    I'm guessing I'm in the minority of liking SWG a lot more after the NGE?
  • TierlessTierless ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,377
    blamo2000 said:
    I'm guessing I'm in the minority of liking SWG a lot more after the NGE?
    In the end it had turned into a decent game with some really nice features. Some those features certainly were on par or better than some pre-NGE but overall the NGE profession system broke so much of what made SWG special to begin with it simply never felt the same (or as good) again (for me). 
    But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers, knowing no other path.
  • MisterZebubMisterZebub Member LegendaryPosts: 3,598
    TimEisen said:
    blamo2000 said:
    I'm guessing I'm in the minority of liking SWG a lot more after the NGE?
    In the end it had turned into a decent game with some really nice features. Some those features certainly were on par or better than some pre-NGE but overall the NGE profession system broke so much of what made SWG special to begin with it simply never felt the same (or as good) again (for me). 
    Yeah it wasn't that the NGE version of the game sucked. It was that it totally changed the core game play wiping out hours and hours of player efforts and accomplishments. But even then that wasn't what so outraged SWG vets. Its the fact that the NGE was dropped by SOE in the most dick way possible. Without any forewarning, discussion, or feedback players launched the game, downloaded a big ass game patch and then logged on to find their precious game world changed forever. How the fuck would you feel about that?
    Tierlesslaserit
    I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Mayer Wiener." You live up top, you live Cocteau's way: what he wants, when he wants, how he wants. Your other choice: come down here... and maybe starve to death.


  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 6,878
    Dilly dilly to never giving up on a feud. 
    MisterZebub

    EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 3,308
    Tried it a couple of times, couldn't get into it at all. Perhaps because of the schlock Sci Fi setting called star Wars, bleh....

    "Invoking nerd rage one post at a time."

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    TierlessMisterZebubblueturtle13
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

    Kyleran on yours sincerely 


    But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

    Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • TierlessTierless ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,377
    lahnmir said:
    Tried it a couple of times, couldn't get into it at all. Perhaps because of the schlock Sci Fi setting called star Wars, bleh....

    "Invoking nerd rage one post at a time."

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Don't tell my base but I wasn't a Star Wars fan growing up! Then I played Galaxies and became a fairly hardcore Star Wars fan. 
    lahnmir
    But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers, knowing no other path.
  • KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    TimEisen said:
    lahnmir said:
    Tried it a couple of times, couldn't get into it at all. Perhaps because of the schlock Sci Fi setting called star Wars, bleh....

    "Invoking nerd rage one post at a time."

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Don't tell my base but I wasn't a Star Wars fan growing up! Then I played Galaxies and became a fairly hardcore Star Wars fan. 

    The same happened to me. The NGE dampened my Star Wars enthusiasm. Disney obliterated it with 'The Last Jedi'. I dabbled with a couple of emulators a few years ago, but there was no real community (no-one stuck around).

    image

  • SWGvohplayerSWGvohplayer Member CommonPosts: 5
    People who enjoyed the NGE at the end  can still enjoy it on swgprophecy if you don't want the nonstop 1-2min lagspikes but meh though here's some footage from said server someone posted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKaTcAkWrog&t though im not a fan of pvp..but i know some enjoy it and gotta admit not having a toxic community is hard to come by now.
    Tierless
  • TierlessTierless ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,377
    Yahssss the EMU's mean it is immortal and glorious. 
    But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers, knowing no other path.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,367
    TimEisen said:
    I didn't get to try it until well after NGE so I have no idea what it was like in its heyday.
    It felt lawless like EVE but looked nicer than any game at the time (and many now somehow). It was unpredictable, chaotic and dramatic while somehow being peaceful, creative and wonderful. It felt like an escape to another world that you never wanted to leave. It was living Star Wars. 

    I thought PVP was voluntary and you had to flag?
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 1,848
    TimEisen said:
    I didn't get to try it until well after NGE so I have no idea what it was like in its heyday.
    It felt lawless like EVE but looked nicer than any game at the time (and many now somehow). It was unpredictable, chaotic and dramatic while somehow being peaceful, creative and wonderful. It felt like an escape to another world that you never wanted to leave. It was living Star Wars. 

    I thought PVP was voluntary and you had to flag?
    You have to flag for PvP in SWG. It's voluntary.
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,385
    I thought PVP was voluntary and you had to flag?
    That's correct as far as open world Pvp went.  There were a few PVP area's where you'd be flagged automatically when you entered (like a arena area out in the middle of no where and the much more popular fight area that was really close to a starport).

    Also if you took a faction mission you'd flag as soon as you opened fire on any enemy NPC.

    SWG was one of those games that you could totally ignore Pvp if you wanted to and it wouldn't effect your game play at all.  They even had a neutral faction for space combat.

    SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO - GnH (beta tester) - SWToR - Neverwinter

  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 1,848
    People who enjoyed the NGE at the end  can still enjoy it on swgprophecy if you don't want the nonstop 1-2min lagspikes but meh though here's some footage from said server someone posted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKaTcAkWrog&t though im not a fan of pvp..but i know some enjoy it and gotta admit not having a toxic community is hard to come by now.
    Prophecy would be great but they let all VOH players bring all of their previous server inventories onto the fresh server. These players completely dominated the economy which was then further destroyed by making RE trivial, BM components cheap as hell to produce, RLS so common, and double tokens for heroics. There is no economy to participate in. New players are pretty much at the whim of a handful of people who played on another server years ago.

    I do enjoy some of the changes the team has made, and it's nice having space GCW even though there's no one to play with. Eisley is probably completely empty 99% of the time.
  • TierlessTierless ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,377
    TimEisen said:
    I didn't get to try it until well after NGE so I have no idea what it was like in its heyday.
    It felt lawless like EVE but looked nicer than any game at the time (and many now somehow). It was unpredictable, chaotic and dramatic while somehow being peaceful, creative and wonderful. It felt like an escape to another world that you never wanted to leave. It was living Star Wars. 

    I thought PVP was voluntary and you had to flag?
    U had to flag BUT, many people would walk around flagged daring people to fight them and fights broke out a lot. 

    ALSO you could pick to be in a war with another guild so to each other you were also flagged. That was very cool as well. 
    But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers, knowing no other path.
  • TierlessTierless ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,377
    What is the diff SWG EMU, SWG Legends, SWG Prophecy?
    But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers, knowing no other path.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 1,848
    Tierless said:
    What is the diff SWG EMU, SWG Legends, SWG Prophecy?
    SWGEMU is pre-cu content, no space (JTL). This has a decent playerbase but the least content by far. It's the original pick skills type SWG game. Crafting economy with limited resources. It's the purest form of SWG but also the most archaic and least content by a huge margin.

    SWG Legends is the NGE (the one people hate on) using actual closing server source code with content added and modified over time. This server has space which is its own game itself, dungeons, pseudo raids, but has classes with specs sorta like early WoW. The classes are fun with typical MMO roles. The crafting is the same for the most part, with the same limited resource economy. This server has the largest population and staff by a large margin of any of the servers. Very active discord with lots of trading and healthy economy. Still a somewhat active PvP community and guilds for each type of player.

    SWG Prophecy is sorta like Legends but has custom changes, space content and space PvP. It has the rare loot system, simplified crafting, new sets, and bonus token drops. It also is a server that used a database from a prior server, which allowed the people who played for a year on the prior server to keep all of their stuff. It's a very small community without much opportunity for growth as a crafter and hardly any groups running dungeons. All of the early player economic mechanics have been thwarted through QoL changes. As a new player you have virtually no way to contribute or gain credits aside from straight grind.


    TLDR:

    SWGEMU : Least players, least content, "original game"
    SWGLegends : Most players, most content "final version of the game"
    SWGProphecy : Small but friendly community. modded content but no economy to participate in.

    Played each and enjoy each. As a new player I'd go with Legends as you'll actually see other people and if you've played MMOs you'll be somewhat familiar.
    Tierless
  • TierlessTierless ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,377
    Utinni said:
    Tierless said:
    What is the diff SWG EMU, SWG Legends, SWG Prophecy?
    SWGEMU is pre-cu content, no space (JTL). This has a decent playerbase but the least content by far. It's the original pick skills type SWG game. Crafting economy with limited resources. It's the purest form of SWG but also the most archaic and least content by a huge margin.

    SWG Legends is the NGE (the one people hate on) using actual closing server source code with content added and modified over time. This server has space which is its own game itself, dungeons, pseudo raids, but has classes with specs sorta like early WoW. The classes are fun with typical MMO roles. The crafting is the same for the most part, with the same limited resource economy. This server has the largest population and staff by a large margin of any of the servers. Very active discord with lots of trading and healthy economy. Still a somewhat active PvP community and guilds for each type of player.

    SWG Prophecy is sorta like Legends but has custom changes, space content and space PvP. It has the rare loot system, simplified crafting, new sets, and bonus token drops. It also is a server that used a database from a prior server, which allowed the people who played for a year on the prior server to keep all of their stuff. It's a very small community without much opportunity for growth as a crafter and hardly any groups running dungeons. All of the early player economic mechanics have been thwarted through QoL changes. As a new player you have virtually no way to contribute or gain credits aside from straight grind.


    TLDR:

    SWGEMU : Least players, least content, "original game"
    SWGLegends : Most players, most content "final version of the game"
    SWGProphecy : Small but friendly community. modded content but no economy to participate in.

    Played each and enjoy each. As a new player I'd go with Legends as you'll actually see other people and if you've played MMOs you'll be somewhat familiar.
    Love your name and cant thank you enough. 
    But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers, knowing no other path.
Sign In or Register to comment.