Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Friendly Fire, I can kill my team mates

2»

Comments

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Like someone else said, I too believe it will keep the zerg mentality in check.  I remember in the first Planetside how when you did your final push into tower spawn rooms, that's where you saw the most team PKs because you had people like me bouncing plasma grenades down the stairs via my thumper and burning up the enemy the smart way, and the noobs on my team running blindly down into the spawn rooms getting burned up by our plasma grenades AND getting shot up by the enemies huddled up in the corners. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Kaladin

I think it's positive.  It adds a further dimension to pvp combat that is rarely seen in other games.  And you certainly would avoid the disco floor of other games.  Teamwork is heavily rewarded with this feature.

Would it be too much to assume the players would know about this before getting the game?

It will certainly make griefers happy. Just think join a group wait till they are in battle and friendly fire them to death. If they complain laugh it off, simply lie and say it was a accident.

Do players items drop when they die if so, I can see a lot of griefers exploiting this.

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 621

I think they have a good handle on what to expect, and the Devs stated they will watch it very closely for trolling/grieving abuses.  If you read the whole FAQ talking about FF they will moderate it based on which campaign you are in, so that in some it will be restricted use, some will probably have it turned off completely and in some it will apply a debuff to you if you hit friendly targets. (and even those they will monitor and remove FF if it is abused)

From the FAQ:

15. Does that mean that I can be hit by friendly fire?
    Wherever possible, yes -- but we have to make sure that this is balanced. Some rules sets (like the infected worlds, which are Faction based) divide players automatically into teams. We have to make sure that players can't join teams specifically to take advantage of friendly fire to grief their own "teammates."

Our plan is to try and apply debuffs to players for doing damage to or killing their teammates (the gods curse you for your incompetence). If this proves not to be a good enough deterrent, however, we may have to turn friendly fire off for particular Campaign worlds.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Originally posted by Allein
    Originally posted by Viper482
    If they do this then Crowfall is already the ultimate troll game. If it is one thing I have learned from playing MMOs it is way too many players will go out of their way to exploit features in a game that can be used  to trolls others. I will be passing on this game if this is going to be another Archeage-like troll/griefer playground.

I haven't played AA, how do trolls take advantage of the system?

I've read some what about the criminal points and prison, but it like Wushu, seem to make it into a fun game and not really a penalty. Are there any instant consequences or reasons to not kill/attack those of the same faction? Are there penalties for FF or only killing others? To me this is a huge difference that usually only accounts for actual deaths.

In archeage your own faction uses mechanics to troll you like jump on your harpoon boat while you are doing a trade run then harpooning a land mass or something else to get you stuck, they also use farm carts to block waterways and bridges. Creating magic barriers to keep you from getting to something. Just stupid crap like that. Any way they can exploit game mechanics to be dicks they do it, this would be no different.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • HowbadisbadHowbadisbad Member UncommonPosts: 453

Originally posted by winter
    Originally posted by Kaladin I think it's positive.  It adds a further dimension to pvp combat that is rarely seen in other games.  And you certainly would avoid the disco floor of other games.  Teamwork is heavily rewarded with this feature.   Would it be too much to assume the players would know about this before getting the game?
     It will certainly make griefers happy. Just think join a group wait till they are in battle and friendly fire them to death. If they complain laugh it off, simply lie and say it was a accident.

Do players items drop when they die if so, I can see a lot of griefers exploiting this.

Always the victim of greifers are we? There are a couple easy solutions to this:

1) Kill the greifer (you can friendly fire as well)

2) Only join trusted groups

Two easy and reasonable solutions to the problem you are imagining.

Waiting for:
    The Repopulation
    Albion Online

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf
    Friendly Fire can easily be abused.I would OPPOSE the idea until I knew there were strong measures to punish the abusers...and there will be abusers.

The lack of FF in most games with pvp that has aoe is beyond stupid.  There should be a penalty for standing in friendly fire.  Come up with an alternative punishment if you can.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

It certainly adds an element of tactics on a PvP game... It makes Zerging A LOT more complicated, so teams will have to be accountable to each other.

On thing that could "cushion" the friendly fire, may be something like friendly fire is reduced by 50% for players in your team. This give incentive to group up.

On the contrary to combat zergs, it would also be nice if a friendly fire penalty was in place for 3+:1 ratio fights. If your 6 is ganking one person you will have a % based FF penalty based on the ratio.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by DMKano

I love FF in games as it drastically changes gameplay.

The idea that you can stand in AoE and be immune always seemed absurd to me.

I always appreciated games with FF a lot more.

Yes there will be abuse in a MMO but to me this preferable to current - everyone AoE without any regard gameplay.

Agreed... This is also how most single player RPG's dating back to gold box games functioned...

You can't stand in your own "poo"

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    I really hope so. I've always thought it completely absurd that in most games you can launch a blazing ball of annihilation into the middle of a crowd and only have it selectively roast your enemies.

<3

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977

I love it, but i sure wont play open world FFA MMO with randoms that has it.

Nough said ;P

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    If they do this then Crowfall is already the ultimate troll game. If it is one thing I have learned from playing MMOs it is way too many players will go out of their way to exploit features in a game that can be used  to trolls others. I will be passing on this game if this is going to be another Archeage-like troll/griefer playground.

I've read some what about the criminal points and prison, but it like Wushu, seem to make it into a fun game and not really a penalty. Are there any instant consequences or reasons to not kill/attack those of the same faction? Are there penalties for FF or only killing others? To me this is a huge difference that usually only accounts for actual deaths.

In archeage your own faction uses mechanics to troll you like jump on your harpoon boat while you are doing a trade run then harpooning a land mass or something else to get you stuck, they also use farm carts to block waterways and bridges. Creating magic barriers to keep you from getting to something. Just stupid crap like that. Any way they can exploit game mechanics to be dicks they do it, this would be no different.

Those examples seem more of exploiting/abusing game mechanics then directly related to FF itself. All of that should be cause to report someone and for the company to deal with them. Poor game design or penalty systems are not a reason to avoid attempting FF.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by DMKano

I love FF in games as it drastically changes gameplay.

The idea that you can stand in AoE and be immune always seemed absurd to me.

I always appreciated games with FF a lot more.

Yes there will be abuse in a MMO but to me this preferable to current - everyone AoE without any regard gameplay.

I love it too! 

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498

Those examples seem more of exploiting/abusing game mechanics then directly related to FF itself. All of that should be cause to report someone and for the company to deal with them. Poor game design or penalty systems are not a reason to avoid attempting FF.

The thing is, none of his points have to do with faction anyway.  The opposing faction can do all the same things to you.

What's at the root of his complaints is actually the presence of safe zones.  In other words, it's the LACK of friendly fire (or any fire) that leads to the most frustrating griefing.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

If it's in the form of a robust flag system, where you can flag yourself to attack everyone; only red players: all non-friends, all non guildies /alliance members; then sure.

If they won't have that, it will be a mess however.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

It is magic after all. In fantasy books this has been explained by the spell having an aspect to it that enables it to recognize a friend's phylactery.   Some phylactery the friends wore that prevented damage. So the spells are selective because the allies wore an amulet . This is in line with magic. Other books have used the ability to direct the spell with skill that allows you to avoid your allies. It is all magic the rules can be anything you want. 

In Everquest I remember my AOE spells hurting me and going through floors to hit mobs below. Karnor Castle fun times. Made me very careful as a wizard about where I placed them.

Chamber of Chains
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Having problems deciding who should have that loot drop, no problem, accidents happen, courtesy of 'friendly fire'

you know it makes sense image

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270

You don't create something new by doing everything the same.

There's are hundreds of mmo for people that hate FF.

• SoarlozerSoarlozer Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Originally posted by Holophonist
    Originally posted by aesperus

In most PvP games I've played with FF enabled, your teammates end up doing more damage to your team than the enemy does. It almost turns into a battle of who can commit suicide faster.

I have not found this to be the case at all. The games I've played with FF are UO, Darkfall, EVE, Planetside 2, and others. FF was never a significant problem.

Most these posters want to zerg mindlessly with their "faction" and don't understand ff actually promotes more teamwork.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Originally posted by Soarlozer

Most these posters want to zerg mindlessly with their "faction" and don't understand ff actually promotes more teamwork.

HAHAHAHAHA....

Sorry, after a night of playing Planetside 2 and getting TK'd almost nonstop by randoms, I have to laugh at that.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!