Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Discount website trustworthy?

ThamorisThamoris Member UncommonPosts: 686

Hey,

I'm interested in purchasing ESO, and the " play now" link on mmorpg.com takes me to a discount site where I can buy the game for $26.99.

55% off  the $59.99 that the official website is asking for.

My question is.....is this site trustworthy?

I ask because, the site seems to be based in Europe since the reviews and such are in foreign languages.

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

what site is that? you forgot to name it.

i bought the game at launch for like 45 bucks on green man gaming which is a legit site.

EDIT: found it, ive never see it before but if its partnered with mmorpg.com i would say it is legit, jsut make sure you use pay pal when buying outside of first party vendors. Wait for more opinions here on the forums form anyone with more knowledge about the site.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

I bought the game for 13€ at Amazon and I'm sure there are plenty of places demanding even less.

You should look around again before buying.

Harbinger of Fools
  • ThamorisThamoris Member UncommonPosts: 686

I think its dlgamer.us

If you click the " play now " link in mmorpg.com  ( in the Elder Scrolls area )...it takes you to that site.

the eso info on that site points to eso from UK. I wouldnt take the risk with a UK version of the game, unless you live in the UK.

I appreciate the feedback.

The website seems sketchy...why would mmorpg.com link to it though?

I'm leaning towards paying the extra $$ and purchasing the game from the official website ..

anyone else have some input, ideas, smart remarks?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid
    the eso info on that site points to eso from UK. I wouldnt take the risk with a UK version of the game, unless you live in the UK.

They're not region locked -- it's the same client. Many people already use their one account to play both, in the US and EU servers.

The only thing that matters is the unique registration key you get,

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403

DLgamers is legit, they just usually dont have the best deal.      Pay with Paypal so you have some backup in case anything goes wrong.   

Plus when you buy it using that link i bet mmorpg gets a little kickback so you would be supporting the website as well.

I wonder...

How can they offer the game over 50% off the asking price of the official site?

What's the catch?

Anyone have personal experience downloading the game from this site?

nm...don't bother to respond.

I've decided to pay the few extra bucks to get it from the official site.

Thanks for the feedback

• NightliteNightlite Member UncommonPosts: 227

Norton approves, so I trust it.

Paypal is always the smart choice online.. no matter what though.

Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid

They're not region locked -- it's the same client. Many people already use their one account to play both, in the US and EU servers.

The only thing that matters is the unique registration key you get,

ah ok, thanks.

But, like ZoS said on their live stream, owning the UK version means you will have to stick to EU DLCs too because they dont transfer over. So OP should keep that in mind if later on he wants the US version of the game.

Thanks again for input

I went ahead and paid the extra $$ for the " official " version.

I just didn't feel comfortable buying the Uk version....plus the purchase page seemed a bit cheesy.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Generally those discount DL websites aren't trustworthy, but they work most of the time and are cheap enough that even with the occasional problem you save a lot of money.

• BarelyEinsteinBarelyEinstein Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Gamesrocket is selling it for $18 US atm, I'd grab a copy if I had the spare money.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Its always worth taking care with those kinds of websites, most by now are aware of the recent scam that was carried out using those kinds of websites, where stolen keys were sold at a low price, and gamers found that their games were suddenly deactivated when Ubisoft rescinded the stolen keys.

You might get lucky and not have that happen to you, but its worth bearing in mind that your taking a gamble that the key will work for any length of time, if at all. One of the reasons why i would never use one of those sites myself when buying a game, while the sites themselves might be legit, the goods they advertise quite often are not, so i'd rather buy from a known online retailer thats approved by the game publisher, i don't have so much money i can take the risk of having to buy a game twice.image

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by BarelyEinstein
    Gamesrocket is selling it for $18 US atm, I'd grab a copy if I had the spare money.

Amazon are still selling the game for £21 in the UK, if you don't mind waiting a few days for the box to be delivered. image

• BarelyEinsteinBarelyEinstein Member UncommonPosts: 247

I should say I *have not* used games rocket, so I can't say first hand how good they are, but I do trust them. Looking at the exchange rate it's 11.65 in pounds and......toast points? I donno what all you english blokes use, that sounds right though. And looking again at the site you can view stuff in uk monies, they say 11.49.

Seems like a good deal to me, but like I said, I haven't tried. And you should be doing research on these sites if you're using them anyways. Check the facebook comments, do a quick google search, see if they're licenced resellers etc.

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

Originally posted by Thamoris

I wonder...

What's the catch?

Anyone have personal experience downloading the game from this site?

Usually there is no catch really. Official sites RARLY if ever offer any discount from day 1 pricing. Even years after years after some more years.

You can get 50% off on MOST games (even AAA) on day 1. I bought 2 Imperial collectors editions for launch and paid less then 30 bucks each. You will have to look around a bit, but for PC gaming there is no need to buy via the official sites.

nm...don't bother to respond.

I've decided to pay the few extra bucks to get it from the official site.

Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for that. Even if this may sound rude, it is not meant to be. You are the reason poorer people like me can get PC games for 50-75% discounts. If noone would pay full price, we would be screwed ;-)

So again, thanks. And i really mean that.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

wasn't there a mass banning of keys for the starting time of ESO? because they bought the keys on "not legal pages"?

just saying ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by BarelyEinstein

I should say I *have not* used games rocket, so I can't say first hand how good they are, but I do trust them. Looking at the exchange rate it's 11.65 in pounds and......toast points? I donno what all you english blokes use, that sounds right though. And looking again at the site you can view stuff in uk monies, they say 11.49.

Seems like a good deal to me, but like I said, I haven't tried. And you should be doing research on these sites if you're using them anyways. Check the facebook comments, do a quick google search, see if they're licenced resellers etc.

Funny pricing:

50.49 GBP (setting GBP and UK) ; http://www.gamesrocket.co.uk/s/elder-scrolls-online/  

16.49 GBP (setting GBP and EU) @ http://www.gamesrocket.com/download/The-Elder-Scrolls-Online-Win-Mac.html

and 11.49  (setting GBP and US) ; http://us.gamesrocket.com/download/The-Elder-Scrolls-Online-Win-Mac.html

You can play the same game with EURO. Either 15ish Euro in the US. ~17 in the spanish and french, 21ish in the EU shop version and cheap 51 Euro in the italian shop.  Guess in which I would buy the game.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

I wonder...

They buy copies meant for poorer countries, which are sold cheaper by the publisher, and often also take advantage of any currency course changes.

They also often buy boxed copies, which the publisher sells cheaper to retailers, and scan the codes then dispose of the boxes.

They may also take advantage of some discounts to buy when there's a good discount, and later sell at profit when the discount is over.

Then there are those that buy stolen credit card numbers and use them to obtain game keys, hoping that the publisher won't be bothered to to disable those game keys later.

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by Thane

wasn't there a mass banning of keys for the starting time of ESO? because they bought the keys on "not legal pages"?

just saying ^^

nope.

Just saying ^^

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Just checked Amazon again and the price climbed from 13€ to 23€.

Still.. Amazon is absolutely trustworthy so I don't see any reason why someone should pay 50 bucks for the game.

PS: I got the game for cheap cause I bought it when Kano first announced the b2p version.

Thanks Kano

Harbinger of Fools