Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now here is an indie basement game developer

waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Just wanted to share in case anyone likes these kinds of stories.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/02/17/the-original-indie-dev-how-one-man-made-22-games-in-22-years-mostly-from-his-basement/

Who knows, some of these might be a little fun.  :D

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Comments

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631

Great article, thanks for sharing.

I feel a bit sad for all these indie developers, when he says there are just too many people writing games these days - I agree.

Too many people writing smartphone apps, writing books, making music, films, blogs, websites,... Too much stuff happening, too fast. This is beyond ridiculous.

Or maybe I'm old.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

Originally posted by askdaboss
    Great article, thanks for sharing. I feel a bit sad for all these indie developers, when he says there are just too many people writing games these days - I agree.Too many people writing smartphone apps, writing books, making music, films, blogs, websites,... Too much stuff happening, too fast. This is beyond ridiculous.Or maybe I'm old.

why do feel sad? these people are doing what they love to do? the market is flooded with everything you listed. but why not be happy for people that get to do something they enjoy? I myself like to write music. I feel incredibly blessed to be able to. im not in it for fame or fortune. I do it because I like to. I wish everyone had that opportunity.

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631
    Originally posted by muffins89

Great article, thanks for sharing.

I feel a bit sad for all these indie developers, when he says there are just too many people writing games these days - I agree.

Too many people writing smartphone apps, writing books, making music, films, blogs, websites,... Too much stuff happening, too fast. This is beyond ridiculous.

Or maybe I'm old.

why do feel sad? these people are doing what they love to do? the market is flooded with everything you listed. but why not be happy for people that get to do something they enjoy? I myself like to write music. I feel incredibly blessed to be able to. im not in it for fame or fortune. I do it because I like to. I wish everyone had that opportunity.

Oh I definitely think you can do something "for the love of it"... Until you need real hard cash, try to move on to the next level, etc. - which unfortunately happens at some stage in your life.

Now it's great if the person is successful at what they are doing, but for the majority of these people it just won't happen. It's not technically wasted time, but the times when a "good idea" and some "goodwill" were enough to make things happen are over (although they are still needed).

The "hard" truth is that this world needs probably more accountants, monkey coders and bankers than singers or game developers. Of course everyone wants to have a go at doing something fun - because it's fun.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

Originally posted by muffins89   Originally posted by askdaboss Great article, thanks for sharing.     I feel a bit sad for all these indie developers, when he says there are just too many people writing games these days - I agree. Too many people writing smartphone apps, writing books, making music, films, blogs, websites,... Too much stuff happening, too fast. This is beyond ridiculous. Or maybe I'm old.
    Oh I definitely think you can do something "for the love of it"... Until you need real hard cash, try to move on to the next level, etc. - which unfortunately happens at some stage in your life.

Now it's great if the person is successful at what they are doing, but for the majority of these people it just won't happen. It's not technically wasted time, but the times when a "good idea" and some "goodwill" were enough to make things happen are over (although they are still needed).

The "hard" truth is that this world needs probably more accountants, monkey coders and bankers than singers or game developers. Of course everyone wants to have a go at doing something fun - because it's fun.

I guess that depends on the individuals definition of success. success does not always mean money. at least not to me. fun is also subjective. im sure there are accountants, monkey coders, and bankers, that have fun doing their jobs. they aren't successful because of the money they make. at least not in my eyes. I do agree with you that the market in a lot of mediums is over saturated. but I think it always was. it's just easier to recognize now that we are in internet age.

• thekandy2thekandy2 Member UncommonPosts: 10

I can definitely recommend those games, i've been playing them since the nineties.

It's kinda my ultima in that way.

• fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    I really enjoyed  the article. Thanks for sharing.